Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Probably. I mean those small letters, but I do see them too often to mean anything substantial I guess.
I'll enable nameplates on target if I can find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Does Tenacity do anything else than increase your damage? Since it replaced the previously tank-exclusive Parry it seems like it should be a similar "higher means u tank gooder" stat.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

jyrque posted:

Does Tenacity do anything else than increase your damage?

The description says "damage dealt and received, as well as hp restored"

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

jyrque posted:

Does Tenacity do anything else than increase your damage? Since it replaced the previously tank-exclusive Parry it seems like it should be a similar "higher means u tank gooder" stat.

From what people were saying in the Discord, it sounds like 1k Tenacity gives +5% damage increase, -5% damage taken, and +5% healing taken.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Going back to Ishgard to farm ore for my 54 Blacksmith brought a QoL improvement in SB to my attention. No more drat ores stuck behind a Hidden Object barrier. Thank you Yoshida!

Urthor
Jul 28, 2014

My FC's Hunt linkshell is full and my complete inability to track down any sign of life on Goblin to get me into another linkshell is really getting to me.

Has anyone got a mean and dastardly scheme to find me a hunting linkshell on Goblin so I can get that sweet West Thanalan mount speed boost?

Or am I just going to have to suffer an empty server with a community that is mostly pushing expansion content :(

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Tsurupettan posted:

Post your data.

We'll see for sure when the big releases hit, but the number floating around for direct hit is like 1% per ~40 points. Crit is about ~108.5. Since tanks get no Direct Hit on gear, we really just want to know roughly at what point the relative dps increase from a point of crit is higher than from your first point of direct hit. With those numbers, this graph shows the comparison.

Adding more crit is always better than adding direct hit if you already have around 2000 crit, with that number dropping the more direct hit you have. If Det is really 180 points per 1% of damage as quoted above, crit passes it forever at ~1400 ~1500 (I forgot to move the y-axis to account for det having a lower base).

VHGS fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jul 3, 2017

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/option_service/world_transfer_service/

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Dr Pepper posted:

Tenacity seems to be bugged because it's effects seem to be negligible to non-existent.

WrightOfWay posted:

It's not bugged, it just scales worse than Det, which is pretty much what everyone expected. Every ~200 Tenacity increases damage dealt/reduces damage taken by 1% and every ~180 Determination increases damage dealt by 1%.

jyrque posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/6kqb7h/tenacity_datadump/

TL;DR: 5% increased healing received, 5% increase damage output, 5% decreased damage taken for 1000 Tenacity.

So it ain't bad, and it sure ain't good... it's just ugly.

I chalk it up to stereotypical Japanese dev conservatism.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 3, 2017

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Well sounds like being more tenacious is a plus even if the stat is a boring one. Melding for tenacity only just passes that 1k limit which is nice but since armor and health already play into being beefy I wonder if they will tweak the numbers.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

just a reminder that when they say "1k tenacity" that means you need it to say 1364 on your character sheet because the base amount doesn't count

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Rhix posted:

Going back to Ishgard to farm ore for my 54 Blacksmith brought a QoL improvement in SB to my attention. No more drat ores stuck behind a Hidden Object barrier. Thank you Yoshida!

Yeah its really nice that SB has zero hidden objects on nodes minus maps. And if you're 70 its really easy to pop hidden nodes on HW nodes since the tier 3 HQ skill will practically jump your hq rate to 100%, gather 3 things and pop the skill that reveals the hidden node. Use the +1 gathering skill to "heal" the node and you can harvest it without relying on rng.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Does the game prohibit you from rolling on minions, mounts, music rolls etc., things you already learned? Like it does for unique equipment.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
If they're untradable, yes. Otherwise, no.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

is there a dps meter anywhere so i can actually find out how to actually dps in the game?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ramadu posted:

is there a dps meter anywhere so i can actually find out how to actually dps in the game?

:jerky:

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Flamethrower Status: It's good.

gently caress these boooooks

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shy posted:

Does the game prohibit you from rolling on minions, mounts, music rolls etc., things you already learned? Like it does for unique equipment.

Only if they're unique and untradeable.

ilifinicus posted:

just a reminder that when they say "1k tenacity" that means you need it to say 1364 on your character sheet because the base amount doesn't count

At least it's better than the original math people did which was something like 1%/1k.

Kinda like how the original math for SMN was "never use bane it's always worse than painflare" when it was in fact "never use bane, it's a tie with pain flare just multidot"

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Ramadu posted:

It's called Advanced Combat Tracker, but it's not going to teach you how to do poo poo other than needlessly get mad at pubs. Learn how to play your job first, then start looking at your parses.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
If you hit your buttons you are in the 95th percentile of dpses.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Sade posted:

It's called Advanced Combat Tracker, but it's not going to teach you how to do poo poo other than needlessly get mad at pubs. Learn how to play your job first, then start looking at your parses.

How do I learn to play a thamagaturage if I don't know how to make the big deeps?? That's all I can do!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Ughhhhh level 47... no more MSQ until 49... I just wanna be a cool fashion person.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
So just finished Stormblood main questline. That was fun! Amazing trial at the end too.
I return to Rhalgr's Reach, and when I approach the vendors they still tell me that I need to be known to the House. What are they talking about? Tried to ask ingame but got mostly troll answers :(

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Stalins Moustache posted:

So just finished Stormblood main questline. That was fun! Amazing trial at the end too.
I return to Rhalgr's Reach, and when I approach the vendors they still tell me that I need to be known to the House. What are they talking about? Tried to ask ingame but got mostly troll answers :(

Those aren't The Vendors.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

kojei posted:

Those aren't The Vendors.

:blush: Oh dear.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Urthor posted:

My FC's Hunt linkshell is full and my complete inability to track down any sign of life on Goblin to get me into another linkshell is really getting to me.

Has anyone got a mean and dastardly scheme to find me a hunting linkshell on Goblin so I can get that sweet West Thanalan mount speed boost?

Or am I just going to have to suffer an empty server with a community that is mostly pushing expansion content :(

aw man does the population in Goblin peter out the higher you go? because I've been playing Goblin on my free trial and honestly it's been pretty bustling down here in the low levels

Inverted Sphere
Aug 19, 2013
So hearing about how awesome the rewards from PvP are and also thinking some of the PvP gear would make for some really sweet glamour, how does one Frontlines without being completely dead weight? I'm not looking to become an elite PvP god or anything but I'd like to at least be contributing a little on my road to piles of EXP and tomestones.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Inverted Sphere posted:

So hearing about how awesome the rewards from PvP are and also thinking some of the PvP gear would make for some really sweet glamour, how does one Frontlines without being completely dead weight? I'm not looking to become an elite PvP god or anything but I'd like to at least be contributing a little on my road to piles of EXP and tomestones.

Say you're "defending the base" and afk.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Ramadu posted:

When you hit 60 you can unlock Stone, Sky, Sea, where you can set a training dummy to the difficulty of the content you're interested in (eg. one of HW's extreme primals), then you have a set amount of time to wail on it. If you can destroy the dummy in the time limit you theoretically have enough DPS to be able to clear the content in question. I'm sure there's a level 70 version in SB as well.

Actual DPS meters like Recount or Skada for WoW are actually against the TOS, but if you use ACT and don't mention the numbers in-game I think you can get away with it.

Personally I'm fine without them cos I feel like the dick-measuring over DPS numbers just causes more problems and it solves, and when players are really loving up you can usually tell just by watching them for a bit (ice mage, not using threat combo, Scholar on follow.)

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Still proud of having done this while playing around with /gpose.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Basically just follow the zerg and attack whatever enemy is closest to you. Keep an eye out if your allies run away so you don't end up getting left behind and easily killed yourself by the opposing zerg crowd. Continue doing so and destroying shards or standing by tome pillars when they come up until whichever side with the most effective zerg wins.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Eopia posted:

From what people were saying in the Discord, it sounds like 1k Tenacity gives +5% damage increase, -5% damage taken, and +5% healing taken.

Tenacity doesn't affect the healing you receive, only your own healing output, which really only means Clemency. The tooltip is a bit misleading.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Inverted Sphere posted:

Winning and losing doesn't matter for rewards (besides for PvP rank and I guess that mount). If you have 2 monitors, you can do what I did and just watch Netflix while kinda holding W and pressing 1-4 and you'll come out with a 33% win rate or so.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

pray for my aunt posted:

Flamethrower Status: It's good.

gently caress these boooooks

Is MCH still "be a piano master or do poo poo dps", or has it gotten less....that with SB? I want to shoot people but Bard's skillset just doesn't interest me in the slightest.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

With Frontlines in particular unless you go in with a group you're pretty much rolling the dice on whether or not you win. Basically just try to lay out damage on dudes/crystals and do better personally than you did last game. Also don't be a jerk and afk.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ramadu posted:

How do I learn to play a thamagaturage if I don't know how to make the big deeps?? That's all I can do!

If you're still a Thaumaturge, you're so early in the game that anything you learn about how to do your big deeps now won't apply when you actually need to do the biggest deeps. All the classes change when you unlock your job at 30, then again later, either at 60, 70, or both. For Thaumaturge, until you're like a level 60+ Black Mage, your job is pretty simple: cast Fire until your MP is low, switch to Umbral Ice mode, refresh Thunder, cast Blizzard until your MP is full, switch back to Astral Fire mode, repeat. Things won't get complex until much later, at which point, once you figure out how all the pieces fit together, installing ACT can be helpful to see how you're doing. Right now, though? Don't worry about it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Inverted Sphere posted:

If you're queuing solo, stay with the horde and follow any markers they put on people. You'll probably have less than a 50/50 win rate for this because the mindless horde tends to do stupid things, like focus on the ice at the expense of all else, or get completely distracted by a single enemy looking in the general direction of your base.

If you actually want to have fun with pvp, find some friends to do it with, and take advantage of all the stupid things the mindless horde does.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Lant posted:

Winning and losing doesn't matter for rewards (besides for PvP rank and I guess that mount). If you have 2 monitors, you can do what I did and just watch Netflix while kinda holding W and pressing 1-4 and you'll come out with a 33% win rate or so.

Please don't encourage people to do this.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
me? PLAY a videogame for rewards? hah *scoffs*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Please don't encourage people to do this.

He's probably still more useful than the 10 man base defense team that inevitably forms up on shatter.