Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
StarWarschat reminds me of a thing from the internet atheists/rationalists before they were all yelling at straw feminists or we had to look at them in person, and people sat down to compose things.

quote:

What makes something an object of fandom? There are some works that attract obsessive fannish behaviour and some that don't -- and this seems to be independent of popularity. To take an example from LucasProduct, both Raiders of the Lost Ark and Star Wars are hugely popular movies, but only the latter has developed a significant fan base. Why? My theory is that for something to attract fans, it must have an aspect of truly monumental badness about it.

Raiders of the Lost Ark is a robust potboiler, tongue-in-cheek, very competently done. I think it's enjoyable, but even among those who don't, it's hard to see the film attracting actual derision. Boredom or irritation, probably, but nothing more. Star Wars, on the other hand.... From one perspective, it's an entertaining space opera, but from a slightly different perspective, an imperceptible twist of the glass, it's laughably awful. Utterly ridiculously bad. And it's this very badness that makes so many people take up arms in its defence.

Once a work passes a certain basic all-round level of competence, it doesn't need the defence of fandom. It's impossible to imagine a fan of Animal Farm, the Well-Tempered Clavier, or the theory of gravity. Such works can defend themselves. But badness, especially badness of an obvious, monumental variety, inspires devotion. The quality of the work, in the face of such glaring shortcomings, becomes a matter of faith -- and faith is a much stronger bond than mere appreciation. It drives fans together, gives them strength against those who sneer. The sneers make their faith even stronger; the awfulness of the work reassures them of their belief. And so the fan groups of Tolkien, Star Trek, Spider-man, Japanese kiddie-cartoons etc. develop an almost cult-like character.

I need to stress that I'm just talking about aspects of badness; the above works all have their many admirable qualities which attract people in the first place (though in the case of Anime I'd be hard-pressed to tell you what they were). And I shouldn't confine myself to 'geek' subcultures; fandom also afflicts the 'mainstream' and 'high art' worlds, and for the same reasons. Stanley Kubrick might well make anyone's pantheon of great directors, including mine, but unlike Welles, Huston and others, Kubrick has a definite fannish following. And this is because his post-2001 work openly flirts with quite spectacular direness. 2001 itself treads the finest of lines between the infinite and the infinitely bad. Wagner is perhaps the only 'classical' composer with a fan base, and this is because his operas, despite their many remarkable qualities, always teeter on the edge of being truly, staggeringly awful, especially in stage productions. Much the same goes for James Joyce, and Shakespeare.

And the same again goes for religion, the ultimate expression of fandom. If Christianity, say, were just a list of moral precepts, it most probably wouldn't have any adherents -- just admirers. But add in nonsense like the resurrection and the Trinity, the creation and the apocalypse, the angels and the saints, and you get that monumental awfulness that millions will die for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Deified Data posted:

gently caress yeah I'm rewatching hbomb's DS2 video for a refresher and it's much worse than I remember. I forgot he took matthewmatosis to task for...using a shield? And expecting the lock-on mechanic to work?

it is insanely noob to use a shield or lock on.

MonsieurChoc posted:

The prequel were always good movies that suffered from falling short of the great/amazing movies that came before them.

uhhh no. they fail in basic cinematic ways which is why they're bad - they aren't poo poo just because they're bad star wars movies. i really hope harold doesn't waste his time making a video to defend them because content is immaterial if all the other bits fail - like a book with an insanely cool plot but the sentences are constructed like the author barely knows english and also there's random scribblings in the place of paragraphs.

heck most of the people that like the movies are the type of people that'll just consume any piece of media because it's "star wars".

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jul 3, 2017

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://twitter.com/DickCoughlan/status/881587775006539776
https://twitter.com/DickCoughlan/status/881658391432749057

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Really nice summarizing op-ed in the but on abuse of the assertion of the first amendment, today. I'll post it when I'm not phoneposting.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

it is insanely noob to use a shield or lock on.

If by that you mean insanely OP.

Source: I lock on more than I don't and having a shield that gives you the option to block and dodge is twice as effective as just dodging right?

Edit: he defends the elevator. He defends the elevator! Which would be fine if the devs didn't already admit they hosed up there.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jul 3, 2017

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

OwlFancier posted:

The swordyfights were fun.

Watch the 1940s Zorro film for a good swordfight.

Also, re. the California toilet signs, I do think it's bad because it's way too busy. What's wrong with a plain W.C.?

Samovar fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 3, 2017

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

Samovar posted:

Watch the 1940s Zorro film for a good swordfight.

Also, re. the California toilet signs, I do think it's bad because it's way too busy. What's wrong with a plain W.C.?

It sometimes confuses people. We had these fab toilets in a local furniture store near me a few years ago. It was just a load of extremely accessible self-contained cubicles, each had their own sink and the design was stylish. They were in a little hallway and the hallway had the male/female/disabled signs on the outside, rather than on the doors themselves. I loved them but I once watched a middle aged woman walk into the hallway, look around with an extremely helpless expression, and then just walk out again.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Deified Data posted:

If by that you mean insanely OP.

Source: I lock on more than I don't and having a shield that gives you the option to block and dodge is twice as effective as just dodging right?

Maybe play other darks souls than 1, noob

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Deified Data posted:

Edit: he defends the elevator. He defends the elevator! Which would be fine if the devs didn't already admit they hosed up there.

you know what's worse than the bad video? he said on twitter he hadn't played ds3 even months after its release. how do you make videos about bloodborne and ds2 and not play their next game on release.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Weldon Pemberton posted:

It sometimes confuses people. We had these fab toilets in a local furniture store near me a few years ago. It was just a load of extremely accessible self-contained cubicles, each had their own sink and the design was stylish. They were in a little hallway and the hallway had the male/female/disabled signs on the outside, rather than on the doors themselves. I loved them but I once watched a middle aged woman walk into the hallway, look around with an extremely helpless expression, and then just walk out again.
I'd wager the vast majority of gender neutral bathrooms are just small businesses with a single toilet/sink in a lockable room with 'toilet' written on the door, but apparently this is destroying the family now.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Guavanaut posted:

I'd wager the vast majority of gender neutral bathrooms are just small businesses with a single toilet/sink in a lockable room with 'toilet' written on the door, but apparently this is destroying the family now.

I would make a joke about the trans panic people having never gone to a bar before, but in the majority of cases it's probably true that they've never seen a bar bathroom.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Can't wait for 2018 y'all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRg895sPhGY

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Dark Souls + Bloodborne are nice games because everyone has their favorite in the series for their own reasons. I had such an amazing time playing DS1 and exploring that world, but I played the poo poo out of DS2. Something about it clicked for me, and I must've put at least a hundred hours into it. Bloodborne was a fantastic experience, and I thoroughly enjoyed the bosses in the DLC. I'm struggling to finish DS3, and I came back after a couple months to finally beat the ancient wyvern, but haven't gotten much further past that. I have seen groups of people defend each and every one of these games, and they are all A+ Good Games You Should Play.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Verisimilidude posted:

Dark Souls + Bloodborne are nice games because everyone has their favorite in the series for their own reasons. I had such an amazing time playing DS1 and exploring that world, but I played the poo poo out of DS2. Something about it clicked for me, and I must've put at least a hundred hours into it. Bloodborne was a fantastic experience, and I thoroughly enjoyed the bosses in the DLC. I'm struggling to finish DS3, and I came back after a couple months to finally beat the ancient wyvern, but haven't gotten much further past that. I have seen groups of people defend each and every one of these games, and they are all A+ Good Games You Should Play.

No, you don't understand, somebody is wrong about videogames! Sure, that's normally the type of thing that we mock ITT, but this time it's justified!!

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

We're mocking a YouTube intulectual or his (media) opinions it's on topic

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Guavanaut posted:

Ally McBeal was a warning, god dammit

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

The Kilroy thing is a gateway to a new generation of YouTube intellectuals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqnAK5jskig

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I'm going back through Lindsay Ellis' back catalog and her Lorax review is quaintly dated. Like corporations and corporate apologists being literal captain planet villains is just a thing now, no longer a strawman.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Maybe play other darks souls than 1, noob

You're sickeningly un-gud, to be frank.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the lorax is my fave kids' book and it sucks how they ruined it.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I'm glad they brought on virulent racist Glenn McCoy to work on the Lorax

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mccoy deserves to be pushed through a paper shredder for misusing the greatest political cartoon of all time.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Well, I'm now convinced that feminism, BLM, Islam, and even some Christianity are bad. Very rationalist.

Why only some Christianity? Will it be Catholics or Orthodox who are the worst ones? I can't wait to find out.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

This octopus gets pretty salty in the comments section of his videos when provoked. It seems like he's getting bullied by reactos.

Has youtube reached a saturation point foe low-effort political trash videos? Everybody wants to be a Carl; ain't nobody wanna be a Davis Aurini.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Even Davis Aurini doesn't want to be Davis Aurini.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Carl doesn't want to be Carl either that's the problem with these people

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I clicked on the video for like a second, saw a lovely MS paint octopus with a top hat and a monocle, and assumed it had to be someone dumping on the whole "add cargo-culty classy poo poo to thing, screech about women and brown folk" thing. You mean it's real?

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Groovelord Neato posted:

you know what's worse than the bad video? he said on twitter he hadn't played ds3 even months after its release. how do you make videos about bloodborne and ds2 and not play their next game on release.

Maybe he browses /r/patientgamers.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Deified Data posted:

I clicked on the video for like a second, saw a lovely MS paint octopus with a top hat and a monocle, and assumed it had to be someone dumping on the whole "add cargo-culty classy poo poo to thing, screech about women and brown folk" thing. You mean it's real?

Had the same idea, it seemed like a parody.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Deified Data posted:

Yup. All you need to do is take someone else's content, slap a horribly lazy avatar over it and ramble into a microphone as "commentary" and you're on your way to YouTube stardom. Also he calls himself a squid at one point so I guess he's having identity issues.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Deified Data posted:

Weren't people joking about that very thing earlier in this thread?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

business hammocks posted:

Weren't people joking about that very thing earlier in this thread?
Sir rational top-hat, a top hat wearing a monocle.

I'm not even sure if the squid is a parody or not, the trailer is just terrible and I have no idea who it's supposed to appeal to.

Then again I think the same about half the others *flexes muscles in front of giant flag*

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

*flexes muscles in front of giant flag*

I mean I think that's probably appealing to gay nationalists.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i like that guy defending russian's insanely antigay laws while being totally unaware that he's a homosexual wet dream.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Demon's Souls was amazing and I wish I could finally defeat False King Allant.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

WampaLord posted:

The Matrix sequels are far more watchable. At least you're not cringing at half the dialogue.

The last one was a fantastic story about a man who tried to do the best he could for his wife and survive in an extreme postapocalyptic scenario, torn between doing what was right and what was safe.

It also had a bunch of garbage about neo, but who gives a poo poo about that guy. Link was the real main character.

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Foster liked his brand new wand!
Fun Shoe
Laci Green is doing a hangout at the moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU0LJJq10xw

Lol at the background thumbnail.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Oh Laci they have made you their plaything

https://twitter.com/kflogan/status/882026700581875712

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Wow, I realized she was selling out, but to sell out for so little...

lmao

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Aww yeah that's the stuff.

https://twitter.com/PaytonQuinn/status/882046495964483587

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
There's massive spamming of Swastikas from dozens of separate users in her chat now. What a great group of people she has chosen to engage with :v:

• Locked thread