Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

The absolute wasteland that is the east, makes Ainge standing pat even worse. How can you just let a real chance to go to Finals pass you by like that?

He tried!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So uh the east

Cleveland
Boston
Toronto
Washington
Milwaukee???
.......?????

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Miami?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

euphronius posted:

So uh the east

Cleveland
Boston
Toronto
Washington
Milwaukee???
.......?????

Yeah, I don't know why people think Boston will be worse, but they are still a 55 win team. Cleveland will still Cleve and Washington will probably be a little better with an extra year and a slightly easier schedule. Toronto is still a good team, and Milwaukee will be above .500, but after that it gets rough. If embiid is healthy I think Philly has and inside track to the playoffs.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I don't think there's a way for Ainge to have Pritchard not be an rear end in a top hat.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Cleveland
Boston
Toronto
Milwaukee
Washington
Charlotte
Miami
Detroit

Would be my prediction. But the 7th and 8th seeds are going to be wide open, genuinely anyone in the conference could get into the playoffs, even Brooklyn.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/881862450819338240

👀

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

tanglewood1420 posted:

Cleveland
Boston
Toronto
Milwaukee
Washington
Charlotte
Miami
Detroit

Would be my prediction. But the 7th and 8th seeds are going to be wide open, genuinely anyone in the conference could get into the playoffs, even Brooklyn.

Indiana? :v:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/881863218494402560

Hmmm

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004

Kibner posted:

It's OK. Only me and Scott Kushner understand and appreciate him and how lucky we are to watch such a fine young man play this sport of kings.

It's true!
https://twitter.com/ScottDKushner/status/881658549864210433

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

So someone's telling me that as of July 1 non-guaranteed salaries no longer count in balancing out trades? Makes me wonder why the Rockets are still hanging onto some of the guys they bought

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Myles Turner could be an All-Star in a nine months time...

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

tanglewood1420 posted:

Myles Turner could be an All-Star in a nine months time...

The East All Star team is going to have an interesting roster.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

One problem: nobody wants to play in Milwaukee

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Spacebump posted:

The East All Star team is going to have an interesting roster.

The West winning the All Star game 205-130 will be something else.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
We better not get Rose

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

euphronius posted:

So uh the east

Cleveland
Boston
Toronto
Washington
Milwaukee???
.......?????

It would be shocking to me if this wasn't the Top 5 of the East, but you never know what might happen.

Out from last year: Hawks, Pacers, Bulls. These teams all took huge steps back from what were already mediocre rosters.

In:
- Heat: If they either retain their team or improve it with a big signing. They were a team that on paper should have been god awful last year and they still almost made the playoffs on the last day of the season.
- Hornets: They were lively for most of last season and adding Dwight Howard and Malik Monk while the rest of the roster hopefully improves, it's not spectacular but it certainly seems playoff worthy in light of all of the other East teams. Like being subpar and then adding a few should be okay parts, is better than setting your whole torso on fire which is what most of the teams ahead of them are doing.
- Sixers: I would feel pretty good about them at the 8 seed if even half of their prospects work out. If Embiid is healthy I would put money on it, if not, nothing else is gonna work anyways.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Dwight Howard is the piece to put this team over the top is a bold statement in 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Honestly the East only lost three of last year's all-stars. Admittedly two of those are top 10 players and guys like old Melo or Kemba Walker pale in comparison to West reserves but it's not gonna be THAT much worse

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

NBA Offseason 2017-18 G/V: If Embiid is healthy

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Who are the teams with cap space that would be potential fits as a third team in a Melo trade? Anderson to the Wolves would have made sense, but now they're maxed out, right? Maybe Celtics if they miss out on Hayward?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Vernacular posted:

Who are the teams with cap space that would be potential fits as a third team in a Melo trade? Anderson to the Wolves would have made sense, but now they're maxed out, right? Maybe Celtics if they miss out on Hayward?

If Danny Ainge goes out and trades for Ryan Anderson after sitting on his dick all offseason it would literally be the most hilarious thing ever.

I'm gonna guess that the East shapes up like this

Celtics (55ish wins)
Cavs (55ish wins)
Raptors (50ish wins)
Wizards (50ish wins)

After that is is really up to a lot of unknowns

I could see the Bucks winning anywhere from 42-55 wins depending on how much Giannis improves and if Parker can stay healthy.
Hornets are probably a 40-42 win team?
The Heat are probably the same, 40-42

The 8th seed is going to be a complete shitshow and I love it. The Sixers I think are the logical team to step up and win 35ish games, but these things depend greatly on Embiids health. If the Sixers struggle to put it together then we might see a Knicks or Pistons team make the playoffs with like 32 wins :lol:

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Intruder posted:

Dwight Howard is the piece to put this team over the top is a bold statement in 2017

It's more like changing a Plumlee into Dwight Howard is enough to push your 36 win team to maybe a 38 win team which is good enough to make the playoffs in the East next season probably. It's not really a bold statement.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Should be a really fun Celts vs Sixers Summer League game tonight

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Yeah the Sixers playoff chances are directly tied to the O/U of games played by Embiid.

Last year they went 14-17 with Embiid (.452) and 14-37 (.275) without.

If those numbers don't change at all (I'd actually say they will be better with Embiid this year and slightly worse without him, but let's just roll with it), JoJo would have to play 65 games to get them to 35 wins.

So if the O/U is 65, I'm unfortunately probably going to take the under as I say he's going to play in between 55 and 60 games

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

aBagorn posted:

Yeah the Sixers playoff chances are directly tied to the O/U of games played by Embiid.

Last year they went 14-17 with Embiid (.452) and 14-37 (.275) without.

If those numbers don't change at all (I'd actually say they will be better with Embiid this year and slightly worse without him, but let's just roll with it), JoJo would have to play 65 games to get them to 35 wins.

So if the O/U is 65, I'm unfortunately probably going to take the under as I say he's going to play in between 55 and 60 games

E: I see what you're saying

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Cool Buff Man posted:

How does 14-17 translate to 35-30, or even combining the two

I think he's saying that with those rates, if Embiid plays 65 games they'll go 35-47

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Intruder posted:

I think he's saying that with those rates, if Embiid plays 65 games they'll go 35-47

Yeah, that's why I edited my post immediately afterwards

Rudy Gay meeting with the Clippers today. They're really aiming for a full team of guys who have no chance of playing a full season huh

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Even that's wrong though, 45.2% of 65 games is 29.38, 27.5% of the 17 remaining games is 4.675 so I'm vindicated

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Check out the replies. Me and Scott are one in our appreciation of Austin.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Cool Buff Man posted:

Even that's wrong though, 45% of 65 games is 29.38, 27.5% of the 15 remaining games is 4.675 so I'm vindicated

poo poo the math I did in my head was wrong.

Intruder posted:

Hate to be that person, but - *she

e: \/ I guess I'll count it as close enough. Bugs me that I didn't get it exactly right

aBagorn fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 3, 2017

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

aBagorn posted:

poo poo the math I did in my head was wrong

It was a joke about how you were basically right pal

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Kibner posted:

Check out the replies. Me and Scott are one in our appreciation of Austin.

Your devotion is admirable, no matter the subject.

I wonder if Oladipo got depressed when he saw the tweet of Russ dancing and smiling about him being traded off of the team after one year for Paul George

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 3, 2017

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Lockback posted:

Yeah, I don't know why people think Boston will be worse, but they are still a 55 win team. Cleveland will still Cleve and Washington will probably be a little better with an extra year and a slightly easier schedule. Toronto is still a good team, and Milwaukee will be above .500, but after that it gets rough. If embiid is healthy I think Philly has and inside track to the playoffs.

Boston had 48 expected wins last year, if they didn't improve you'd expect them to win 48 again.

Toronto was the only team in the east that had over 50 pythagorean wins. The East was a gigantic dumpster fire last year and the top teams didn't get better but the middle fell out.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

aBagorn posted:

Hate to be that person, but - *she

Sorry

I'll have to update the spreadsheet :v:

(Will try to remember in the future but not bloody likely!)

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

aBagorn posted:

e: \/ I guess I'll count it as close enough. Bugs me that I didn't get it exactly right

I was honestly very impressed with your head calculations. You've got strong headmath. I can't do that

Bashez posted:

Boston had 48 expected wins last year, if they didn't improve you'd expect them to win 48 again.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Spoelstra and Pat Riley are apparently on a plane to meet Dion waiters. That's dedication.

also

quote:

Restricted free agent Bojan Bogdanovic reportedly wants a three- or four-year contract worth roughly $16 million per season.

Gooooood luck with that

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Vernacular posted:

Cuban said that the Mavs would be willing to take on salaries in a trade. In my perfect fictional offseason they get Love out of the Melo trade. It won't happen but a man can dream.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
If the Celtics whiff on Hayward, which it's seeming more and more like they will, I could see them trying to facilitate a trade if Love is available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Cool Buff Man posted:

If the Celtics whiff on Hayward, which it's seeming more and more like they will, I could see them trying to facilitate a trade if Love is available

Love's salary makes this pretty much impossible. No way Cleveland doesn't want either the Brooklyn or Lakers pick, but on top of that the Salaries need to match, which means They would also need to trade Crowder, Rozier and then like another 9 million in salary.

• Locked thread