Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

docbeard posted:

Agreed. Not a slight on either Tennant's or Smith's performances (I think they're both brilliant actors and Tennant's Doctor in particular is often, I think, unfairly maligned), but they would have given it a different energy. Paul McGann is honestly the only person who's played the Doctor that I think could come close to the level of sheer pleading desperation for them to just get it that Capaldi was evoking, and I don't think he'd have done it better.

I think Colin Baker would do a great version, albeit one that sounded a lot more *impatient* that they don't get it.

Really enjoyed that.

I think I'm going to miss Michelle Gomez' Missy more than Capaldi's Doctor though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I like Bill's happy ending because it tied back a little to previous episodes, allows for her to travel for awhile, for as long as she likes, before returning to live a normal life, if that's what she wants in the end. It is kind of "cheap?" Yeah, and it doesn't make a ton of sense, but this is one instance in which I'm okay with some deus ex machina just reversing the polarity. I also liked the Master interactions. There's still plenty of room for him/her to come back, because they left room for there being regenerations between Simm and Gomez (and because, come on, it's the Master), but her gleeful laughter at being betrayed by himself (after betraying herself), in order to go back and stand with the Doctor, felt like a really good way for the Gomez incarnation to leave.

I don't like other actors playing the First Doctor, no matter how talented they are at it. They're imitating William Hartnell rather than playing a part. I'm sure the Christmas special will be fun, though, and that One and Twelve will bicker for awhile until they both decide regeneration is okay after all. I wonder if they'll announce who's playing the Thirteenth Doctor soon.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Omg Bill said "I don't want to live if I can't be me". Very good, Moffat

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I hope Cybercontroller Missy keeps the umbrella.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Davros1 posted:

Oh, jeez, Moffat, now that's an Easter Egg.

William (Bill) Hartnell's wife was called Heather.
This is super great.

2house2fly posted:

Omg Bill said "I don't want to live if I can't be me". Very good, Moffat
Oh, man. Another one.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

LividLiquid posted:

This is super great.

Moffat already said the Bill/Heather thing was a coincidence, but... was it? :tinfoil:

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
Right before Missy leaves with the Master, her and the Doctor hold hands and look at each other. I took it that something was being passed hand to hand, possibly the dematerialization circuit, but it didn't come up again? I kind of suspect that they were passing "regeneration energy" to another, or something similar. It certainly looked like something.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They are merely exchanging long protein strings.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

glowing-fish posted:

Right before Missy leaves with the Master, her and the Doctor hold hands and look at each other. I took it that something was being passed hand to hand, possibly the dematerialization circuit, but it didn't come up again? I kind of suspect that they were passing "regeneration energy" to another, or something similar. It certainly looked like something.

She was probably just stalbbing him.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I really hope the next time the Master (as a post-Missy regeneration) comes back, she goes all in on trying to be helpful to the Doctor or like the Doctor in the worst possible ways.

Also, I sorta hope Nardole is still kicking and able to be a Companion by the time the Doctor finishes his business.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Xelkelvos posted:

I really hope the next time the Master (as a post-Missy regeneration) comes back, she goes all in on trying to be helpful to the Doctor or like the Doctor in the worst possible ways.

I do love that the first appearance of Missy (after she reveals she is the Master) is her explaining to an aghast Doctor that she's hijacked the minds of millions of dead people and dumped them into Cybermen bodies to help him.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Xelkelvos posted:

Also, I sorta hope Nardole is still kicking and able to be a Companion by the time the Doctor finishes his business.

Nardole will be fine. Eventually Bill will remember him and the kiddies, and the magic water lesbians will go back to 10 minutes after they left and evacuate all the remaining humans. Missy too, if the cybermen haven't upgraded her yet. It's so trivial for them it will probably be done offscreen.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I doubt he will regenerate until the end of the Christmas special anyway. He'll spend a few minutes talking to the first doctor about regenerating and maybe they will go on an adventure together. If not, they will split up, and Doctor Who will have one last adventure before regenerating at the end of the episode. Then we'll see Ed Sheeran bounce around the set or whatever excited to go on his new adventures. Maybe pick up the new companion.

Do we have some Galway girl available to play the next companion?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Maybe the Master will realise silly and whimsy isn't getting them anywhere, and they'll regenerate into Charles Dance, just to go for terrifying instead.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
My reaction to the finale: wow, after that good of an episode it's really lame to have Twelve just decide not to regenerate, that seems like kind of a cop ooooOOOOOOH MY GOOOOD IT'S OOOOOOONE :psyboom:

Completely blindsided by it and it was incredible. I cannot IMAGINE the poo poo Capaldi is going to say to a young punk like One :allears:

(we need :allears: but grasping lapels instead)

Facebook Aunt posted:

Nardole will be fine. Eventually Bill will remember him and the kiddies, and the magic water lesbians will go back to 10 minutes after they left and evacuate all the remaining humans. Missy too, if the cybermen haven't upgraded her yet. It's so trivial for them it will probably be done offscreen.

I unironically love that water lesbians is a literal description of something from Doctor Who in tyool 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

glowing-fish posted:

I think it was a simple hand-holding. She wanted to be 'good', it didn't take, but wanted to express genuine thankfulness and gratefulness that the Doctor gave her the chance.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The_Doctor posted:

Maybe the Master will realise silly and whimsy isn't getting them anywhere, and they'll regenerate into Charles Dance, just to go for terrifying instead.

I want Matt Berry. Just go full on Ainley.

Chokes McGee posted:

My reaction to the finale: wow, after that good of an episode it's really lame to have Twelve just decide not to regenerate, that seems like kind of a cop ooooOOOOOOH MY GOOOOD IT'S OOOOOOONE :psyboom:

If he didn't regenerate, then it means he's dying.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Davros1 posted:

Berry would be superb as a Master who's plans are just total nonsense and have no chance of success and get nothing done. So yeah, Ainley.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Davros1 posted:

I would not be physically capable of taking a Matt Berry Master seriously, but I don't care, it would be so fun.

I stand by a Berry Master being someone Who has no 'off' switch and no visible beginning or end to his scheme. He walks into the scene and is IMMEDIATELY enacting whatever the gently caress he needs to happen. In fact I'm picturiing him not even entering a scene with the start of a sentence, he's mid-monologue when he arrives.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Facebook Aunt posted:

Nardole will be fine.

Pretty sure he will be around for the next season.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Carbon dioxide posted:

Do we have some Galway girl available to play the next companion?

I can't stand that song, because I love Van the Man.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

Wheat Loaf posted:

I can't stand that song, because I love Van the Man.

Come live in Galway like me - you'll hear both versions at the same time every loving day walking down Shop Street.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Davros1 posted:

I want Matt Berry.

My God that would be amazing.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Shona McCullough from 2014's Christmas Special Last Christmas should return. She was so human and messy.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Lampsacus posted:

Shona McCullough from 2014's Christmas Special Last Christmas should return. She was so human and messy.

gently caress, I forgot about her, you're right!

She should come back as the Master!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Plavski posted:

Come live in Galway like me - you'll hear both versions at the same time every loving day walking down Shop Street.

I don't think Van Morrison's done a version of the song (if he has I've not heard it) - the song's annoying in its own right but I resent how it's Ed Sheeran trying to be Van Morrison and going on about putting coins in his jukebox and so on. It's that kind of "real music" "faux authenticity" stuff that I find incredibly tedious to listen to.

(Best live album of the 1970s: It's Too Late To Stop Now.)

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Watching the rerun of the last episode this evening, I think my main concern with David Bradley playing a recast First Doctor is entirely in the voice. As great as he was as Hartnell in the docudrama, when he's actually playing the Doctor there's something off in his speech. The speed and intonation of it is wrong. His "oh, no, no"s feel like they come out too slowly, Hartnell spoke much quicker and that also comes across in things like the Companion Chronicles narrated by people that actually worked with the man.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
That was all about 'I don't want to live if I can't be me' wasn't it? Bill, the Doctor and the Master all with the same problem. Even Nardole tried to protest that he'd revert to his old ways.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
David Bradley playing Hartnell is like Hopkins playing Nixon or Cox playing Churchill. It's not an impersonation, it's a performance. Bradley was amazing in An Adventure in Space and Time and I have no doubt he'll be the spirit of Hartnell again in the Christmas Special.

Doctor Who fans need to learn to suspend their disbelief ;)

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Plavski posted:

I do think we tend to over analyze what is at best a children's and family aimed show. As someone who didn't grow up on it I enjoy these types of callbacks because I feel they are clever uses of source, but I'm not invested as some are so it rarely bothers me. I just don't have the critical eye for it that some here do. Unlike say Game of Thrones where I had expectations going in as a book reader.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Box of Bunnies posted:

Watching the rerun of the last episode this evening, I think my main concern with David Bradley playing a recast First Doctor is entirely in the voice. As great as he was as Hartnell in the docudrama, when he's actually playing the Doctor there's something off in his speech. The speed and intonation of it is wrong. His "oh, no, no"s feel like they come out too slowly, Hartnell spoke much quicker and that also comes across in things like the Companion Chronicles narrated by people that actually worked with the man.

This is true. It's especially noticeable when you watch clips of the original show juxtaposed with the special. For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0Lvd8v8o-8

vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXBmQz2r2M8&t=175s

Bradley comes off as much more angry and Hartnell more kind, especially to Susan. Interesting enough, for a production that no doubt rebuilt the sets down to the inch, the actors don't even hit the same marks, and Susan was wearing a different costume. It's almost like they intended for it to be more of an interpretation than a perfect imitation.

In other words:

Plavski posted:

David Bradley playing Hartnell is like Hopkins playing Nixon or Cox playing Churchill. It's not an impersonation, it's a performance. Bradley was amazing in An Adventure in Space and Time and I have no doubt he'll be the spirit of Hartnell again in the Christmas Special.

Edit: I take that back; this was the reconstruction of the unaired pilot, and Susan was wearing that outfit, and Hartnell was more arch, which now that I think was a plot point in the special, that Verity had to ask him to be nicer or something like that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK0hEANVykU

Astroman fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jul 3, 2017

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
So has Robert Holmes regenerated yet?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

CobiWann posted:

Yes, but sadly as he's now between his twelfth and final incarnations he regenerated into Joseph Lidster.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

NPR Journalizard posted:

I sort of doubt it, to be honest. It seems very clear that Chibnall wants to do his own thing and start fresh, which makes total sense.

Lots of material for future Big Finish set up here, though. Unseen adventures with the Doctor, Bill and Nardole, the adventures of Space Spirit Bill and her Wonderful Water Girlfriend, Nardole's Quest to get to the top of the Cyberman Black Hole Ship (and hell, how long does Nardole live?). The more I think about the finale, the more I like it, actually. It's sad because the Doctor doesn't get to see any of his successes, and believes that he has utterly failed. For all he knows, Bill was just completely obliterated, Missy really did just run away instead of having a change of hearts, and he just somehow wound up in the TARDIS. It's happy because Bill's crush got turned into a space wizard who saved her life and because Missy did see the Doctor's point of view after all, even if she got shot for it.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Plavski posted:

I mean, as much as I'm kind of against recasting individual Doctors (regeneration is already an in universe explanation for recasting, going beyond that can seem a bit gauche; see: everyone's reaction to Hurndall over the last 25 years), I'm still going to give Bradley a chance and probably will enjoy the hell out of the Christmas special either way. I was just commenting on what stood out as different about their performances of the Doctor so far, especially given that the new Companion Chronicles audio came out fairly recently and so is still fresh in my mind and those are productions that are less about being imitations of the Doctor and more about capturing the essence of his performance.

CobiWann posted:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I really love the singsong music in this episode, which I guess is meant to evoke 60s sci-fi

glowing-fish posted:

At the start of the episode the Doctor asks if she really was on his side the whole time and takes her hand, and she looks at it uneasily because she's conflicted. Her taking his hand later on mirrors that, meaning she's still conflicted but has swung to his side. It's foreshadowing her change of heart, basically.

Bicyclops posted:

The more I think about the finale, the more I like it, actually.
Like any Moffat episode, the more I think about it the more glaring the flaws become, and yet the more I think about it the more I like it to the point that I think of the flaws as loveable quirks

E: I saw someone predict the special was going to be called Twelfth Night, which obviously would be perfect for Moffat's love of referring to the regeneration number (the hospital clock saying half past Twelve) and it being a Christmas episode, and also would be a lovely bookend to the first episode being called The Eleventh Hour. if Moffat doesn't call it Twelfth Night then frankly he should have been fired already

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 3, 2017

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

NPR Journalizard posted:

I think Matt Lucas has said otherwise, but I would sure love to be wrong.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Has the Doctor's hand regenerated?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

2house2fly posted:

Like any Moffat episode, the more I think about it the more glaring the flaws become, and yet the more I think about it the more I like it to the point that I think of the flaws as loveable quirks

Yeah. Wellll, this applies to the good ones. He's written some quite terrible episodes too.

I rewatched Blink last night, and all the little things that haven't aged well or don't quite work just make it more lovable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

How strongly would people recommend The Last Adventure and UNIT: Dominion? They're both on sale at the moment, but I'm not sure if I should get them. I've not heard any of the Klein audios aside from Colditz, and I'm not at all familiar with any of the 6th Doctor companions in his box aside from Charley (with 8) and Mel.

• Locked thread