Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Persona 5 has your group's approval rating on a fan-site appear in the start-of-day loading screens, along with anonymous comments about what's currently going on in the story. And I am loving how much character they actually manage to cram into those anonymous comments, you can really get a handle on exactly the kind of person that's making the post.

My favorites are the total killjoys that still manage to get full grammar into like twenty characters. You can just imagine the grabs like "This is rude to the victims." being the start to some painfully long screed and/or argument about why everybody on this website is wrong and bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cleretic posted:

Persona 5 has your group's approval rating on a fan-site appear in the start-of-day loading screens, along with anonymous comments about what's currently going on in the story. And I am loving how much character they actually manage to cram into those anonymous comments, you can really get a handle on exactly the kind of person that's making the post.

My favorites are the total killjoys that still manage to get full grammar into like twenty characters. You can just imagine the grabs like "This is rude to the victims." being the start to some painfully long screed and/or argument about why everybody on this website is wrong and bad.

The .hack series did similar things. Throughout the games you could access the official forums for the MMO the game took place in, and there would be various NPCs posting there and some of them had better characterization than party members got. You could even find most, if not all, of them in-game and chat with them.

EDIT: Since I brought up .hack; G.U. is getting a remake and a PC port? unexpected as all get-out but I am excited.

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 09:45 on Jul 2, 2017

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Cleretic posted:

Congratulations, this post convinced me to buy Persona 5.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I have to applaud Dropsy for giving you an achievement that you're awarded when you take 9000 steps in clown shoes that makes a noise with every step. In any other game it would be trolling but given the tone I believe they're sincere.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Skies of Arcadia has aged so badly that it's just the few 'little things' that make it enjoyable.

The boss battles are hard and make you use a lot of your abilities and items, so that's great. What I really like about boss battles is that the music changes based on how you're doing. At the beginning it's tense; if your party's HP is below a certain threshold, the music gets desperate (and kind of lovely). But if your health is up, and the boss's HP falls low enough, triumphant music starts playing. It really gets you excited. Only other game that comes to mind with something similar is Shadow of the Colossus - besides scripted music cues in games.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Nier Automata and Metal Gear Rising Revengance do that technically but it's more scripted from the sounds of it.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Divinity: Original Sin has what I like to call 'mopping up music' when you reach the point in a fight where you're going to win

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm really enjoying Horizon's Sidequests. Much like the Witcher 3 I'm doing the quests in recommended level order (only got 1 level 18 story quest before all my current quests are 20 or above. Aloy is Level 29 right now), as it just seems to make sense to - this way I won't get overwhelmed with a massive backlog of poo poo To Do. The sidequests all have rather fun twists, whether in plot or gameplay, and all the characters are likable in their own way, save for a few particular sun-priests. Also they seem to flow well with the main plot when played in this order, like Aloy's quip about needing as much light as possible where she's going makes way more sense after she learns about Project Zero Dawn

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Captain Lavender posted:

Skies of Arcadia has aged so badly that it's just the few 'little things' that make it enjoyable.

The boss battles are hard and make you use a lot of your abilities and items, so that's great. What I really like about boss battles is that the music changes based on how you're doing. At the beginning it's tense; if your party's HP is below a certain threshold, the music gets desperate (and kind of lovely). But if your health is up, and the boss's HP falls low enough, triumphant music starts playing. It really gets you excited. Only other game that comes to mind with something similar is Shadow of the Colossus - besides scripted music cues in games.

Xenoblade Chronicles has the music turn tense when somebody in your party is knocked unconscious. It also has different, awesomer music for when a named monster appears and starts bashing your face in. Until you're overleveled for the area, hearing it suddenly in combat with multiple enemies is a good indicator that you should run away, so it feels all the better when you can finally last long enough to hear the full version.

It also has day and night versions for a lot of areas' music. There's a lot of neat touches in the game.

More relevantly, Fire Emblems also usually have triumphant music start to play when the boss is the only remaining enemy on the map.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
Sniper Elite 4

I cleared an entire castle for a side-op and saw some more blips on my map ambling towards the castle. I got ready for another firefight but when I sighted them they turned out to be Partisans (Le Resistance of Italy) occupying the base I just took over.

They don't do anything after that since I cleared most of the map of Nazis at that point but I thought it was a cute state change for the map. I was expecting it to be a ghost town after that.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Oh yeah, I forgot about Metal Gear Rising adding vocals to the songs at high points in the fight. Kind of scripted yeah, but still the same idea.

Those other games too, I hadn't played them, very cool.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

pokemon black and white also has something similar, instead of just having a beeping alert when your pokemon's hp is low it changes the music to its own tense track(that also has the beeping alert as part of the song) and when you've got a gym leader down to their last pokemon the gym leader theme changes to a more triumphant 'you're almost there!' kind of tune

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Let's not forget the super satisfying Phoenix Wright music when you get someone on the logical ropes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfM70egWauo (Used the Layton VS Wright one)

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I've been wanting a sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics Advance forever. I found out last week that they made one a decade ago. That's my favorite thing in gaming right now.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

BioEnchanted posted:

Let's not forget the super satisfying Phoenix Wright music when you get someone on the logical ropes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfM70egWauo (Used the Layton VS Wright one)

My personal favourite is AAI's testimony theme going from normal, to upbeat, to a completely different and intense song for the final testimony of the chapter :allears: Honestly Ace Attorney's sound direction is perfect

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Danaru posted:

My personal favourite is AAI's testimony theme going from normal, to upbeat, to a completely different and intense song for the final testimony of the chapter :allears: Honestly Ace Attorney's sound direction is perfect

AAI2's theme for Sebastien DeBest/Yumihiko Ichiyanagi is awesome. It starts the game as a goofy waltz that stumbles through it's theme like an idiot, just like Sebastien stumbling through his career with logic so profoundly illogical it's actually hard to decide where you need to start in deconstructing his arguments: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD_mAu_0l-8 - then He has the worst day of his life, completely falls to pieces and Edgeworth reassembles him using the same technique he normally uses to destroy someone. When he returns to court to formerly indict his father, the music has changed to reflect his new sense of purpose - No longer a directionless waltz but a tight Tango that tells the player, "yes... From now on Sebastien is finally on track to be... DeBest!":https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIenrJpjPps

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm a huge fan of the Objection! track myself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwoi6-8UFQI

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I've been wanting a sequel to Final Fantasy Tactics Advance forever. I found out last week that they made one a decade ago. That's my favorite thing in gaming right now.
It's really good, too.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

It's nowhere near as good Tho :(

Not bad mind.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

graybook posted:

I'm a huge fan of the Objection! track myself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwoi6-8UFQI

I like Apollo's objection theme a little better.

Also Ace Attorney 4 was good :colbert:

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's really good, too.

The Iron Rose posted:

It's nowhere near as good Tho :(

Not bad mind.

In the one hand, how could it be as good as the original. On the other hand, I can have pig friends in my clan.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Aside from how mp works screwing over magic classes and leveling people up, it's better than Advance.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

In the one hand, how could it be as good as the original. On the other hand, I can have pig friends in my clan.

Back to the first hand:

The other hand says that artwork doesn't really translate to pixels tho.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Ah, yes, can't forget about the crucial pizza holster.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Mierenneuker posted:

Back to the first hand:

"Ha, check out this joke I drew! I'm gonna submit it just to see the looks on their faces-"

*3 days later*

"...they loving accepted it."

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Mierenneuker posted:

Back to the first hand:

So the bookbag is strapped to the big belt which is held up by being buckled to the little belt which also keeps the waste sash in place. There are five big white collars. Are the little elbow shields an integral part of the fighting style? Is the Sword chained to itself? Collared high heeled boots? Is that a strapless dress under the overalls? I feel like this image goes on forever.

Olaf The Stout has a new favorite as of 11:40 on Jul 3, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Olaf The Stout posted:

So the bookbag is strapped to the big belt which is held up by being buckled to the little belt which also keeps the waste sash in place. There are five big white collars. Are the little arm shields an integral part of the fighting style? Is the Sword chained to itself? Collared high heeled boots? Is that a strapless dress under the overalls? I feel like this image goes on forever.

The chain's most likely a sling so he can carry that pizza cutter over his back. Except it's too short, and would most likely just choke him with the weapon's relative weight.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The chain's most likely a sling so he can carry that pizza cutter over his back. Except it's too short, and would most likely just choke him with the weapon's relative weight.

No part of the sword is resting on his back and he isn't using his thumb to grip it.

There is also a secret hidden sword.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

That's a sword? I thought it was a guitar made of glass.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's not a weapon, that's his micromacrodisc player.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

The more I look at that picture the more :psyduck: I get.

I know its kinda mandatory for JRPG characters to have crazy outfits but that outfit is just ridiculous.

TBH thats part of the charm of these kind of games I guess.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

wafflemoose posted:

I know its kinda mandatory for JRPG characters to have crazy outfits but that outfit is just ridiculous.

From what I can tell, the plot is that that is a kid from the real world gets dumped into a fantasy book and says "This poo poo is bananas! I love it!" and goes whole hog with it.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

wafflemoose posted:

I figure that's basically the artist equivalent of an author who gets paid by the word. "Hmm drat, still a little slim. Better add another belt."

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I really want Square to bring back Amano concept art.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Perestroika posted:

I figure that's basically the artist equivalent of an author who gets paid by the word. "Hmm drat, still a little slim. Better add another belt."

Please don't take artistic design lessons from Tetsuya Nomura :ohdear:.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Please don't take artistic design lessons from Tetsuya Nomura :ohdear:.

I think he peaked with Lulu, who had a skirt made entirely of belts.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Push El Burrito posted:

Peak Nomura are the Dirge of Cerberus designs, but luckily most people forgot that game exists.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Push El Burrito posted:

The best part is he supposedly did it out of spite to test the modelling team and make sure they got every belt in the exact right spot.
And the modelling team got around it by only showing her from the waist up or from behind whenever they could.

Work relationships based around 'gently caress you' are the best.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

I really want Square to bring back Amano concept art.

One of the things that I loved about Dissidia is that they followed those designs pretty drat well. And that Exdeath was the strongest character in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

marshmallow creep posted:

From what I can tell, the plot is that that is a kid from the real world gets dumped into a fantasy book and says "This poo poo is bananas! I love it!" and goes whole hog with it.

That's TA2. TA1's story is a kid from the real world and his psychologically damaged friends and wheelchair bound brother are also there and their issues get fixed and are really happy in a fantasy book and says "This poo poo is bananas! I must destroy it!" and then destroys it.