Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Can I buy a brace of 10 plasma pistols and fire them all? Surely they've hosed up the rules with at least one model that will allow for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
I mean, it covers the basic weapon options well without cluttering up the rules. Seraphim can use pistols akimbo. Marines can have a bolter and pistol can't fire both, and models with a bunch of weapons like vehicles or crisis suits can fire them all without an exception

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

JBP posted:

Can I buy a brace of 10 plasma pistols and fire them all? Surely they've hosed up the rules with at least one model that will allow for it.

There are, at present, no loopholes for that outside of Forge World; Forge World has the Elysian Drop Troops specific Order that makes things hilarious in a bad way for reasons that were clearly not evident to the person who wrote them..

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Strobe posted:

There are, at present, no loopholes for that outside of Forge World; Forge World has the Elysian Drop Troops specific Order that makes things hilarious in a bad way for reasons that were clearly not evident to the person who wrote them..

Yeah I'm aware of this one

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

JBP posted:

Yeah I'm aware of this one

New combi-weapons lookin tight.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

panascope posted:

If you can find it, grab some of the Vallejo black lava paint, which is the best basing material on the market. Doing that, then Dawnstone > Blue Wash > drybrush Ushabti Bone makes some great bases if you like an urban theme.

Seconding this.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Felime posted:

I mean, it covers the basic weapon options well without cluttering up the rules. Seraphim can use pistols akimbo. Marines can have a bolter and pistol can't fire both, and models with a bunch of weapons like vehicles or crisis suits can fire them all without an exception

Vanguard Vets too, wanna try running a squad where each one has a plasma pistol and a grab pistol.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

adamantium|wang posted:

Seconding this.

These are loving awesome.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

chutche2 posted:

Rewriting rules is what they've always used FAQs for.

The solution is, if your collection is small enough that you legitimately need to use understrength units, maybe stick to open or narrative play. Matched play shouldn't have dumb poo poo like this.

Perhaps not, but personally I'm relieved that this change came in the same release that made Tyrant Guard a unit size of 3-6 for matched play. Putting more than 1 or 2 in a smaller list can be tough.

Who the hell needs ~250pts of bodyguards anyway?

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.
After many games and much 'counts as' I'm really quite happy with stormboyz. They are so drat fast, cheap and effective I'm probably going to stick 2 squads in every list from now on. They are a bit squishy but hey Orks!

I know I shouldn't give GW money, but I've got to get a proppa green tide going.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Giving GW money is cool and good now homie.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Let's not go too far. I need to be wooed a little more before I let my guard down. Prices are still insane, for example.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Stormboys are a neat kit, but obscenely expensive, even by GW standards. $25 for 5 models that you field in units of 30 is too rich for my blood.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
It's ok to give GW money when the product is reasonably priced, like Dark Imperium.

Do not give GW money when it's unreasonable, like a a $60 box for two small monopose characters.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Floppychop posted:

Stormboys are a neat kit, but obscenely expensive, even by GW standards. $25 for 5 models that you field in units of 30 is too rich for my blood.

Vespids are not fielded in as large a squad but cost like, 45 bucks for 5. And a full squad is 12. It is really dang hard to find them at anything less than retail price on eBay unless you find a guy selling off his whole old army. Not complaining about your post, just saying I understand :(

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

evilmiera posted:

Vespids are not fielded in as large a squad but cost like, 45 bucks for 5. And a full squad is 12. It is really dang hard to find them at anything less than retail price on eBay unless you find a guy selling off his whole old army. Not complaining about your post, just saying I understand :(

Stuff being sold in proportions which don't correspond to their squad size is really loving annoying. Worse in Old Fantasy where units from 6th ed were sold in multiples of 4 and stuff from 7th ed+ was sold in multiples of 5, but there's still a few things in 40k like it.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Floppychop posted:

You're gonna love New GW's pricing on the new Primaris characters, friend.

optimuspyro
Jan 17, 2013
Oh god no. 70 bucks for those two is a hard pass. :barf:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

panascope posted:

If you can find it, grab some of the Vallejo black lava paint, which is the best basing material on the market. Doing that, then Dawnstone > Blue Wash > drybrush Ushabti Bone makes some great bases if you like an urban theme.

Is is like the thick gritty paste stuff? I have the Brown Earth version and it definitely gives a nice texture.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Is is like the thick gritty paste stuff? I have the Brown Earth version and it definitely gives a nice texture.

It's larger grit than the brown earth but basically the same idea.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
I saved $1 buying a slightly older box of Warriors; they don't all come with Boneswords or Rending Claws.

I saved -$19 buying parts from bits sellers. :(

Proletariat Beowulf fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 3, 2017

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
One of the people at my club has made a Kickstarter that could be useful for 8E - Woundwang*

Simple wound tracking for characters/monsters/vehicles.

* I cringed when he called it that

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah there's definitely other things. But the "use gloves" worries me a bit. I'd rather just use simple green and leave it in the dunk tank for a few days.
Super Clean is a degreaser. You wear gloves or else it will pull the oils form your skin. Other than that, it's far superior to Simple Green and will strip drat near everything with no ill effects.

Don't pass it up because you're worried about wearing gloves.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

glitchkrieg posted:

One of the people at my club has made a Kickstarter that could be useful for 8E - Woundwang*

Let's rotate the board!

( https://youtu.be/qjOZtWZ56lc )

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

:siren: It's time for Wangernumb! :siren:

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

glitchkrieg posted:

lol if I'm gonna watch over 3 minutes of this wankers face

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

I saved $1 buying a slightly older box of Warriors; they don't all come with Boneswords or Rending Claws.

I saved -$19 buying parts from bits sellers. :(

Why didn't you make them into perfect Tyranid Trainees for SWA?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

"It's totally ironic" I say, as I pull half a dozen long pink phalluses out of my toy case.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So my friend that runs all the dreadnoughts had them all in one place the other day. Looks like he has 1 relic contemptor, 8 other contemptors (most plastic, some were contemptor mortis) 6 venerables, 2 standard,, 2 ironclads, and a leviathan.

:wtc:

This is an actual 2000 point list

Vanguard detachment:
Techmarine with servo arm and power axe

5x contemptors, 4 with kheres 1 with multimelta

Vanguard detachment
Techmarine with servo arm and power sword

2 venerables with twin lascannon and missile launcher
Venerable with twin lascannon and heavy flamer DCCW
2x Venerable with assault cannon + heavy flamer DCCW
Dreadnought with twin heavy flamer + heavy flamer DCCW

We call his collection the Space Marine Retirement Home.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

Vanguard detachment:

Vanguard detachment

I see nothing wrong here.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Floppychop posted:

Does the kit come with the necessary components to make a Stormboy Nob in the kit, or just a bunch of variations on regular Stormboyz?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

So my friend that runs all the dreadnoughts had them all in one place the other day. Looks like he has 1 relic contemptor, 8 other contemptors (most plastic, some were contemptor mortis) 6 venerables, 2 standard,, 2 ironclads, and a leviathan.

:wtc:

Vanguard detachment:

Vanguard detachment

We call his collection the Space Marine Retirement Home.

This is very cool and good.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Still hoping to run a list with old one eye and 18 Carnifexes.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
I'm 3 fexes short of being able to run this:

+++ New Roster (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [106 PL, 2000pts] +++

++ Spearhead Detachment +1CP (Tyranids) [106 PL, 2000pts] ++

+ HQ +

Old One Eye [7 PL, 140pts]

+ Heavy Support +

Carnifexes [18 PL, 324pts]
. Carnifex: 2x Monstrous Scything Talons, Adrenal Glands, Bio-plasma, Thresher Scythe
. Carnifex: 2x Monstrous Scything Talons, Adrenal Glands, Bio-plasma, Thresher Scythe

Carnifexes [12 PL, 208pts]
. Carnifex: 2x 2x Deathspitter with Slimer Maggots, Thresher Scythe
. Carnifex: 2x Monstrous Scything Talons, Adrenal Glands, Bone Mace

Stone Crusher Carnifex Brood [15 PL, 356pts]
. Stone Crusher Carnifex: Bio-plasma, Thresher Scythe, Wrecker Claw & Bio-flail
. Stone Crusher Carnifex: Bio-plasma, Thresher Scythe, Wrecker Claw & Bio-flail
. Stone Crusher Carnifex: 2x Wrecker Claws, Bio-plasma, Thresher Scythe

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

glitchkrieg posted:

I'd be more inclined to join in the fun it didn't have WANG written on it, or look like a wang. A simple bar would have been... a little more salable.

In model painting news: Doing my custodes. Purple wash over gold looks soooooo good and rich. Mine is VMA Gold with a wash of Golden High Flow Dioxazine Purple Transparent (Pretty much just the same as a GW shade paint, though I watered it down some.

and a bonus primaris Marines Errant test model to get in on the quartered marine fun (Halved technically). He needs a bit of tidying up along the backpack, but I'm putting that off until I have the white color out again.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

adamantium|wang posted:

Plus single models are stupidly easy to hide in a corner somewhere they will never see action. They won't be expected to do anything beyond allowing an existing army to get access to more command points. My regular opponent took ten minutes to spend 49 points to change his Battalion to a Brigade and all of those were saved by dropping useless guys in other units.

Why would you even agree to play against that army? I know people like to stick to 'it's the rules' for any weird abstractions or slightly off things in the game rules. It ensures consistency. But pre-game, during army selection, it seems like your friend is rolling with a very obtuse interpretation to gain an advantage. The rule is obviously there to accommodate people who just don't have enough models. Not so you can take 1 of your 500 gaunts and claim you're an under strength unit to expand your command point pool. Why not just call him on his bullshit?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

glitchkrieg posted:

I hate myself for bringing this up but... uh, does it really need to be that big?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Genghis Cohen posted:

Why would you even agree to play against that army? Why not just call him on his bullshit?

Because we all play in a competitive tournament environment and after 25 years we are sick and tired of GW games being the only games where having to pick and choose which of the poorly written basic loving game rules we're going to ignore is a touted feature and just play the game as it stands, warts and all.

E: and it's not an obtuse interpretation, it's a black and white revision of the rules straight from the horse's mouth.

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 3, 2017

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
My friends are talking about doing 150 PL games.

This is the worst idea.

At 150 I could do a brigade detachment. Captain, chaplain, company commander, 2x 10 marines, 2x 5 marines, 5 scouts, 10 guardsmen, 5 cataphractii, apothecary, contemptor, 10 guard veterans, 5 assault marines, 2x tarantulas, predator, leman russ, vindicator, stormraven, 2 razorbacks, and a chimera.

This should probably be on an 8x4 table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

adamantium|wang posted:

E: and it's not an obtuse interpretation, it's a black and white revision of the rules straight from the horse's mouth.
They needed to address it. The understrength points for matc play rule showed up in the rulebook and in the indexes. Fine, except the index version was the opposite of the rule book version. I believe they went with the index version.

Still a dumb rule, though.