Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Or is it Sputnik posted:

I'm gonna disagree and say that Risen 2 should be avoided due to extreme amount of jank and some game-breaking bugs. It shouldn't be a problem on todays PC:s, but there is a tomb (sealed tomb on tacarigua) that is literally impossible to raid if a specific graphics setting is below highest. I'm currently working through Risen 3 and so far it does everything Risen 2 does better.

tl;dr - get Risen 3, only get Risen 2 if you love the Gothic/Risen series and have a high tolerance for jank.

Oh sorry I definitely meant to make it clear that I wasn't recommending Risen 2, only Risen 1. It's interesting that you say that Risen 3 seems like a better game than Risen 2. Low bar and all that but still, I want to hold out hope.

Also, I was going to go all snark earlier when I referenced my "overly long" RPG post and say that it was only long in context of it's 2017-and-no-one-has-an-attention-span-anymore, but you've put a tl;dr on a two line post so I feel vindicated despite removing that bit.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Aug 2, 2017

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
^^^ : so you don't necessarily mean games that come with OST DLC?

al-azad posted:

The Infinity Engine was meant to be for online RTS games but Interplay had the D&D license going to waste. It's why Baldur's Gate has a weird co-op function too and there's really no way to repurpose it for turn based combat while another player could be halfway across the map.

I was even making reference to the old AD&D Gold Box stuff like the Eye of the Beholder games and the Ravenloft stuff ... it's all real-time which I just don't get given its source.

I stand by my unmentioned-until-now claim that ToEE is how every isometric RPG should be done. And if you're open world, the old Might & Magic games. Otherwise if it's something like Legend of Grimrock etc it should be Wizardry style. I mean, they're DnD RPGs and I love them dearly but what is this real-time or pause-time poo poo and while you're at it get off my lawn.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 3, 2017

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Mystic Stylez posted:

I know this is highly subjective, but recommend me games with awesome soundtracks. I don't care which genre or category, as long as the game itself is at least decent.

Now you're speaking my language

Age of Wonders 3
Deathstate
Dungeonmans
Brigador
DOOM
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Warframe
Risk of Rain
Deus Ex: HR
Elder Scrolls Online
Final Fantasy XIV
King's Bounty (like 50 of them, but The Legend, Crossworlds, Armored Princess first)
Super Hexagon

For my question, anyone messed with Book of Demons? http://store.steampowered.com/app/449960/Book_of_Demons/

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Mystic Stylez posted:

I know this is highly subjective, but recommend me games with awesome soundtracks. I don't care which genre or category, as long as the game itself is at least decent.

Some examples: Fallout 1/2, Deus Ex, Hotline Miami 1/2, Brigador, Shatter, Bastion, VVVVVV.

Beatbuddy has a great soundtrack, although it's pretty short. Fun game, too.

edit: The first two Tropicos too, of course. The soundtrack for the third wasn't as good, I thought, and I haven't played 4-5.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 3, 2017

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Mystic Stylez posted:

Some random examples: Fallout 1/2, Deus Ex, Hotline Miami 1/2, Brigador, Shatter, Bastion, VVVVVV, STALKER series.

Rayman Legends
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Frozen Synapse
The Binding of Isaac
Super Meat Boy
Bayonetta
Most of the Final Fantasy games.
Mirror's Edge

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Bought a few games from the sale and got Demon Truck for some reason. Anyone know what's up?

Palpek posted:

The gameplay sections definitely feel like this. The very first playable area has you go to the 2nd floor of a building only for you to discover a door closed with a code - the key to the code is on the 1st floor so you go back to get it and then come back to the closed door (yeah, they really only send you back to waste time).

That's not all though - you then learn that the encryption idea is to jump forward 1 alphabet letter for the first letter of the password, 2 letters for the second, 3 letters for the third and so on. Then the game has you 'solve' a few doors using that. There's no puzzle here, just this tedium of repeating the same encryption pattern over and over.

At the point when one of the passwords was HEYHEYHEYHEYHEY but it's rejected because the serial killer changed it - it became obvious that the dev is just loving with you for the hell of it. Go press some buttons, this is gameplay, you're welcome. It's like that section in The Stanley Parable with pressing the button '8' but unironic.

Just started the game myself, and I'm not sure if this is something that got added in the remake or what it is, but if you hit the magnifying glass in the bottom right it just puts in the right code for you.

Mystic Stylez posted:

Some random examples: Fallout 1/2, Deus Ex, Hotline Miami 1/2, Brigador, Shatter, Bastion, VVVVVV, STALKER series.

RunGunJumpGun, Bully, Jet Set Radio, Lisa, Hacknet, N++.

Trick Question fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 3, 2017

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Palpek posted:

The gameplay sections definitely feel like this. The very first playable area has you go to the 2nd floor of a building only for you to discover a door closed with a code - the key to the code is on the 1st floor so you go back to get it and then come back to the closed door (yeah, they really only send you back to waste time).

That's not all though - you then learn that the encryption idea is to jump forward 1 alphabet letter for the first letter of the password, 2 letters for the second, 3 letters for the third and so on. Then the game has you 'solve' a few doors using that. There's no puzzle here, just this tedium of repeating the same encryption pattern over and over.

At the point when one of the passwords was HEYHEYHEYHEYHEY but it's rejected because the serial killer changed it - it became obvious that the dev is just loving with you for the hell of it. Go press some buttons, this is gameplay, you're welcome. It's like that section in The Stanley Parable with pressing the button '8' but unironic.

Which is why they gave you an autosolver for this version of The Silver Case, but it just makes the interactive aspects that much more pointless.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Mystic Stylez posted:

Furi
Nex Machina
Electronic Super Joy
Guacamelee
Luftrausers
nier automata
Mass effect series

E: I don't know how I forgot the Jesper Kyd composed assassins creed soundtracks. AC2 has one of the best soundtracks ever.

nachos fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 3, 2017

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Mystic Stylez posted:

FRACT OSC
Quake - steam version doesn't actually have the music the original version has

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

Mystic Stylez posted:

Endless legend
Endless space 2
Starcrawlers
Stardew valley
Final fantasy X

al-azad
May 28, 2009

markgreyam posted:

^^^ : so you don't necessarily mean games that come with OST DLC?

I was even making reference to the old AD&D Gold Box stuff like the Eye of the Beholder games and the Ravenloft stuff ... it's all real-time which I just don't get given its source.

I stand by my unmentioned-until-now claim that ToEE is how every isometric RPG should be done. And if you're open world, the old Might & Magic games. Otherwise if it's something like Legend of Grimrock etc it should be Wizardry style. I mean, they're DnD RPGs and I love them dearly but what is this real-time or pause-time poo poo and while you're at it get off my lawn.

The goldbox games were actually turn based but Eye of the Beholder was capitalizing off Dungeon Master. Strangely the GBA version is a goldbox style game with turn based tactical combat.

Otherwise I agree, yes.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

I was feeling lucky so I bought one of those 30-pack lootboxes from GMG.

I was not lucky! Please take whatever you like from this shower of total poo poo.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I TOOK POST MASTER BECAUSE WITH A NAME LIKE THAT HOW COULD I NOT WHOOPS CAPS LOCK

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

So Starpoint Gemini Warlords is.... decent? My rambling thoughts: I like it a lot, but because it's scratching a weird itch, maybe more than it deserves? It's sort of Freelancer crossed with Starfleet Command, although you never fly anything smaller than a corvette. ALSO Bigger=Better with ships so don't waste skill points on corvette and frigates etc. The controls are needlessly screwy, currently its much easier to leave guns on auto-target in combat and just manually fire the heavy weapons (maybe intentional?) That said there's context sensitive stuff everywhere though so it's easy to click a ship and say follow or whatever. And it's fun to take bounties and salvage things, and jump in when you see fights going on

I've just gotten to the point where you gain command of your faction, which is actually really easy to control. It's pretty simplistic compared to something like the X series but its also not an incomprehensible nightmare like those are. I think the itch the game is scratching is that theres a scripted storyline that's surprisingly in-depth, and also this free-roaming faction war going on at the same time

There's also npcs with dialogue trees and skill-checks in conversations which was neat but odd

-Blackadder- posted:

2. Stories Untold - Incredibly atmospheric Stranger Things-vibed text-based horror game with a twist!

This was a game that found it's way into my cart while I was researching horror games, I initially removed it when I was trying cut my cart down because I had found a free demo on GOG and figured I'd try that first. Well I got about 15 minutes into the demo before I got too creeped to continue and decided the developer deserved my money. This is more than just your standard text-based horror game. It uses a highly effective overlay where you type things into an old 1980's era computer among other things. It's really atmospheric and I highly encourage everyone take a look at it. And it even has a free demo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5f7DJzbipw

Ohhh gently caress me, I thought I was past the "go to buy a game and discover it's already in your library" phase

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Mystic Stylez posted:

I've never played the game however I've listened to the soundtrack to neotokyo a lot.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

a page of posts about awesome soundtracks and not one mention of shovel knight what the gently caress

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
How is Styx 2?

I played a bit of the first one and while I liked the concept, there seemed to be a lot of jank to it. Like sometimes if you just want to do something simple like hike up to a ledge right in front of you, you'll press the button and accidentally leap out into the air in the other direction and fall 300 feet to your death, etc.

Is the jank still in the latest one or is it more polished?

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Harminoff posted:

I've never played the game however I've listened to the soundtrack to neotokyo a lot.

And you can download it for free, or pay if you want to.

It's been almost ten years, I hope Ed Harrison does something, anything else.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mystic Stylez posted:

Furi, Thumper, Nier Automata, Tekken 7

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Blattdorf posted:

Which is why they gave you an autosolver for this version of The Silver Case, but it just makes the interactive aspects that much more pointless.
Yeah, I figured that out at the third puzzle or so (haven't noticed it earlier) but as you say it makes the gameplay parts just click-click-click and on to the next long uninteractive section.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

-Blackadder- posted:

2. Stories Untold - Incredibly atmospheric Stranger Things-vibed text-based horror game with a twist!

This was a game that found it's way into my cart while I was researching horror games, I initially removed it when I was trying cut my cart down because I had found a free demo on GOG and figured I'd try that first. Well I got about 15 minutes into the demo before I got too creeped to continue and decided the developer deserved my money. This is more than just your standard text-based horror game. It uses a highly effective overlay where you type things into an old 1980's era computer among other things. It's really atmospheric and I highly encourage everyone take a look at it. And it even has a free demo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5f7DJzbipw

I played through Stories Untold in a single 2-hour sitting last night. It definitely has some very creepy parts and I really liked the text parser interface, but the story is based around a really common horror trope that I kind of hate at this point. Overall I think it's worth experiencing but way more for the journey than the destination.

I also started playing Risen (the first one) the other night and it's really fun so far, though I was surprised at how fast literally anything could kill me. Feels like it was designed with the quick save button in mind.

I also also logged a bunch of hours in N++ which is TOTALLY worth it if you like challenging platformers, and especially if you liked previous N games because they added a bunch of really neat new traps and level elements.

I've also also also been playing Rollers of the Realm which is a cute mashup of pinball and RPG without going very deep into either. It's not a game you can really devote yourself to but it's fun for lunch breaks and such.

Finally, I started playing Binding of Isaac: Rebirth at long last and yep, it's really good and pretty much fixes everything that was wrong with the original while adding a bunch of new stuff.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Quest For Glory II posted:

a page of posts about awesome soundtracks and not one mention of shovel knight what the gently caress

I am extremely ashamed

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Sorry for the predictably nerdy answer, but:
Final Fantasy. 6-7-9-10.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

markgreyam posted:

Having said that I love Oblivion (modded to remove level scaling) so long as you completely ignore the main story line or treat it like a job you've got to return to every so often to remove Oblivion gates (and that one town oh well) sort of way so possibly I'm part of the problem, I apologise for being initially harsh. .

I haven't played Oblivion in forever but from what I remember it had some pretty good faction and sidequests, like it felt like the quest designers were trying to take advantage of all the new features they added to the engine after Morrowind. From what little I played of Skyrim, it felt like they went back to simple quests, but with way more dungeon crawling than Morrowind.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Antti posted:

And you can download it for free, or pay if you want to.

It's been almost ten years, I hope Ed Harrison does something, anything else.

Well you are in luck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL5zFa7RL4w

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I haven't played Oblivion in forever but from what I remember it had some pretty good faction and sidequests, like it felt like the quest designers were trying to take advantage of all the new features they added to the engine after Morrowind. From what little I played of Skyrim, it felt like they went back to simple quests, but with way more dungeon crawling than Morrowind.

The best part of Oblivion, and really one of the few parts worth playing, is the Dark Brotherhood questline. It's genuinely really good and worth the price of admission.

The main quest is better than some people give it credit for. A lot of people were put off by not being the main hero center of the universe but if you just go with that and don't get pissy about it, it's a pretty fun romp through some cool places, provided of course that you instantly no-clip through the boring and tedious Oblivion gate closing tasks.

The leveling system and mechanics are hot garbage through and through, however, and actively ruin a lot of the game. My advice is to set the difficulty slider to minimum and go archer. Melee combat is crap and feels like you're swinging nerf weapons and the spell system is pretty limited. But archery uses the physics system and even though there are technically no true headshot mechanics in the game, it's always satisfying to rocket an arrow into something's head and watch it do two flips as it flys 15 feet away.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 3, 2017

mjau
Aug 8, 2008

Mystic Stylez posted:

The Journey Down, Dropsy, Everything

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I feel like the finger of a monkey's paw just curled up somewhere.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Would you guys recommend Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 enchanced editions? Never played them before. Just looking for some great RPGs ish games

Yes 100%! I picked up BG1, 2, and IWD EEs this sale and I'm about half way through BG1 already. It's an excellent game and I'd you like cRPGs there's nothing here you won't enjoy. I'm looking forward to IWD a lot now that I've figured out how the Infinity Engine games work. IWD let's you build your entire party and focuses more on combat/dungeon crawling whereas BG let's you create the PC and then recruit NPCs. Also there is more story.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Mystic Stylez posted:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7TRdx2tbUFI

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Too Shy Guy posted:

I also also logged a bunch of hours in N++ which is TOTALLY worth it if you like challenging platformers, and especially if you liked previous N games because they added a bunch of really neat new traps and level elements.

n++ is absolutely outstanding and i invite anyone who owns it to share steamids so i can have more people in my leaderboards

Seeric
Aug 18, 2011

Faux Mulder posted:

I was feeling lucky so I bought one of those 30-pack lootboxes from GMG.

I was not lucky! Please take whatever you like from this shower of total poo poo.

That's a pretty awful list, but I will vouch for Hiiro in case anyone's looking for a good game. It's a fairly short, nonviolent exploration platformer blatantly inspired by a much older indie game named Seiklus. It's also not currently part of the summer sale, so if the code hasn't been taken yet and this sounds like the type of game you would like I'd definitely recommend grabbing it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Wow, don't buy IS Defense

these loving racist devs posted:

This game is our small side-project and is our personal veto against what is happening in the Middle East nowadays. As well as an attempt at resurrecting a pretty dead genre of games like „Operation Wolf” or „Beach Head” – in a state of the art, modern adaptation.

e: oh lol it's the Hatred guy nevermind

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Fuuuuuck, Dead Cells owns. Especially after the letdown of Salt and Sanctuary. This game is snappy, beautiful and fun. If you want a RogueTroidVania I strongly recommend it.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Tides of Numeria y/n

I love the old Planescape

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

ArfJason posted:

n++ is absolutely outstanding and i invite anyone who owns it to share steamids so i can have more people in my leaderboards

I don't know if we're buddies already but we can be now. Out of my 300+ friends only THREE have gone past the Intro set.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ANRLizzy/wishlist/

Any opinions on this? I'm shying away from Automata for now since I can wait to play it until Invictus gets funds again, and being a WA resident sales tax on big-ticket stuff is no joke.

Most keyed in on NEXT JUMP and StarCrawlers, if anyone has opinions on those.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Sixto Lezcano posted:

RogueTroidVania

New favorite tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

All the Hollow Knight hype is pretty legit. I haven't been able to get into any new wave metroidwhatevers but I accidentally played HK for hours. The movement is a tad unusual but works great with the combat.

• Locked thread