Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
Someone take this System Shock 2 code: 5MEYP-ZAFQD-AI7KC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

-Blackadder- posted:

Speaking Cook, Serve, Delicious, anyone try Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale?

Apparently it's an unbridled Capitalism simulator where you can viciously price gouge old men and children in order to pay back the loan shark trying to take your house. It also has some some minor dungeon crawling and extremely good reviews.

The translators for this are/were goons, haven't seen them about in a while though. It's good game as long as you don't look at the mechanics too deeply.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Mehrunes posted:

Someone take this System Shock 2 code:

Thank you! Never played, but I've been meaning to for years.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I don't think I'm a huge fan of The Silver Case so far. I mean, it's a neat insane serial killer story with some memorable characters but there's so little substance to the gameplay. You basically click through a 15-minute conversation where you have no dialogue choices and then comes a 5 minute gameplay section where padding is the main design concept and then back to 20-minute conversation.

I'll see through this for the story because I like how it's structured but this is one of the few games that I've played that I would strongly recommend people to just watch a let's play of (and poo poo, I think Deadly Premonition offers something with its gameplay) because you lose absolutely nothing.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Palpek posted:

I don't think I'm a huge fan of The Silver Case so far. I mean, it's a neat insane serial killer story with some memorable characters but there's so little substance to the gameplay. You basically click through a 15-minute conversation where you have no dialogue choices and then comes a 5 minute gameplay section where padding is the main design concept and then back to 20-minute conversation.

I'll see through this for the story because I like how it's structured but this is one of the few games that I've played that I would strongly recommend people to just watch a let's play of (and poo poo, I think Deadly Premonition offers something with its gameplay) because you lose absolutely nothing.

The Silver Case is 90% visual novel, so, uh, yeah.

Unfortunately for me, while I love visual novels this one happens to have the most rambly nothing-happens writing ever, so I was bored stiff by it despite being fascinated by its plot. :negative:

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Thank you! Never played, but I've been meaning to for years.

Join us.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

StrixNebulosa posted:

The Silver Case is 90% visual novel, so, uh, yeah.
Visual novels still have interactivity to them or dialogue choices at least and here it's pretty bare even for the genre.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

markgreyam posted:

Oh and Arx Fatalis is $1.75 and the engine port to remove any issues on modern machines is self-installing and 20meg.

Thanks for posting this, actually. I previously had Arx Fatalis on my list but took it off because it looked like poo poo. For some reason it never occurred to me that there might be graphics update mods for it floating around.

Are there any other classic cRPGs with graphics update mods? I'm especially interested in games like the Might & Magic and Wizardry series. There's a ton of classics I've love to play in updated graphics.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jul 3, 2017

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Palpek posted:

Visual novels still have interactivity to them or dialogue choices at least and here it's pretty bare even for the genre.

Yeah, there's definitely more variety in gameplay in modern VNs but this was the norm in the 90s. Chunsoft in particular was big with their "sound novels" which were basically full screens of text with the occasional still image.

-Blackadder- posted:

Thanks for posting this, actually. I previously had Arx Fatalis on my list but took it off because it looked like poo poo. For some reason it never occurred to me that there might be graphics update mods for it floating around.

Are there any other classic cRPGs with graphics update mods? I'm especially interested in games like the Might & Magic and Wizardry series. There's a ton of classics I've love to play in updated graphics.

Nothing will save Arx Fatalis from looking like poo poo but it's basically a modern (well, 15 years ago) Ultima Underworld with great world design, creepy monsters, and lots of secrets.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Palpek posted:

W-which ones have you been playing? Most of the ones I've been playing only involve choices when you're splitting off into branches but are otherwise 100% linear?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Ace Attorney for example. Even when the choices lead to the same outcomes it feels like you're...interacting with things, I have no problems with things being linear if you're actually doing stuff. But ok, I'll live with this as an example of old-school genre design.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Palpek posted:

Ace Attorney for example. Even when the choices lead to the same outcomes it feels like you're...interacting with things, I have no problems with things being linear if you're actually doing stuff. But ok, I'll live with this as an example of old-school genre design.

Oh! Huh. I'd class that as more of an adventure game, but we can argue to the death over it and get nowhere.

But hey, as long as you're happy reading the Silver Case, I hope you enjoy it! It has some really interesting ideas, and its atmosphere is stellar. I'm just picky.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
What are some good space trading sims either as a dude in his own little space ship or as a big company?

How is Offworld Trading Company, for example?

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Offworld Trading Company is an RTS. It is kind of fun, but... it is very an RTS. Like matches last twenty-thirty minutes, it is solely competitive, taking place on a mostly small map. Also its too silly for my taste.

kater fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jul 3, 2017

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got
Endless Sky is cool and free on Steam. It's not a space trading game per se, but hauling cargo is pretty much unavoidable. Buy new ships and upgrade them! Fight space pirates! If you've played Escape Velocity it's that. Or Windward but in space.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I was looking at Starpoint Gemini 2, just as a general spaceship game. There's also the more recent sequel, Warlords What's the consensus on those?

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jul 3, 2017

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Looking for some Dark Souls type recommendations to add to my backlog. Played through Salt & Sanctuary several times, really enjoyed it as well. Looking for games with a similar feel, especially if you can go back and try a different build or play style after an initial run. Have Lords of the Fallen to play through at some point but from the first hour or two I played it wasn't great.

I've picked up Hollow Knight and am a couple hours in, enjoying it but the combat isn't quite what I like and I'm not seeing much replayability.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Does anyone want a skull? I might have too many skulls.

e: I'm serious. Shoot me a friend request and explain why you need a skull, and you will get One (1) skull.

Sure! I've a long series of reviews / lets reads about a tabletop game that involves a lot of skulls.

I don't know your steam ID to request, but here's mine:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/arbco

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

-Blackadder- posted:

It doesn't update the graphics so much as such make it more stable and less prone to interface issues. Which will seem ironic if you play it, as it's got pretty much the clunkiest interface going around. It's the same style as System Shock or Ultima Underworld: you can change from a FPS control to being able to move your mouse around the screen while you face a set direction to interact with things. The magic system, however, has you drawing runes on the screen with your mouse, which is undeniably cool and really challenging but in a good way and in preparation for when things get heated you can "store" up to three spells so you're not always forced to gesture wildly on the fly.

Just make that before you do much else you spent a bit of time in the first room after you escape jail interacting with things and rebinding keys to what feels comfortable for you. And for some reason the game has a stealth modifier key which also doubles as a "instantly put items into my inventory" key and a "store this spell I'm casting for later instead of firing it off now" key so bind that somewhere accessible and get used to using it. Additionally it has no qualms about you double binding a single key to multiple functions (and I don't mean this in a practical way), so it will all feel very awkward for a while. You should get used to it, and it's worth it because the game oozes atmosphere and is very much like a modernised Ultima Underworld, albeit without the insane depth that those games had.

Also as an aside, Arkane Studios are all too good at creating video game spiders (see also Dark Messiah of Might & Magic) and they should be ashamed of themselves for this ability. I'm pretty glad that Dishonored never contrived a reason to need spiders.

And anyway, M&M 6, 7 and 9 (not on Steam but as you mentioned them) surely still look fine (okay the M&M games aren't the prettiest going around but still); to be honest us RPG-dork types aren't as bothered by graphical updates (or it's simply the amount of work you're describing) so they might be harder to find - it's more stability which is the concern as these games age. The newer M&M X game isn't quite in the same style as the older one but it's still pretty good and it looks pretty, it's actually a shame it's not cheaper.

Regards the old Wizardry series, Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant will keep you going (like, literally forever) despite looking as old as it does and you'd be best advised to actually avoid the Gold version which "updates" it's interface for Windows because it's pretty garbage. I think that version is only available with the GoG edition anyway. Wizardry 8 is awesome and looks fine, but Arnika Road might drive you insane; so to that there are combat-speed increasing mods that you're advised to check out. Wizardry VI though, the first in that "trilogy" is admittedly pretty ugly and I don't know if there's much fixing that.

If anyone is interested in older truly classic games while also wanting old Wizardry titles, this Bundle Stars bundle that has Wiz VI and VII as well as the remastered version of the awesome Strife, and Z.A.R. which also rules (as well as Iron Commando which totally does not fit in that bundle but which is a great bonus) is only $3: https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/retro-heroes-bundle

Accidentally ended my RPG megapost too early, Wizardry 8 is in this bundle https://www.bundlestars.com/en/bundle/rpg-heroes-bundle, also $3 which also gets you Etherlords 1&2, Rune, and the Realms of Arkania remake which only took an overly long time to be at least playable (but not really truly recommendable) and also Blades of Time hahaha

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jul 3, 2017

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

Nettle Soup posted:

The translators for this are/were goons, haven't seen them about in a while though. It's good game as long as you don't look at the mechanics too deeply.

The translation for that game is really good. Those goons did a great job

I recommend recettear as well, even for people who have a low anime tolerance (like me)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

Looking for some Dark Souls type recommendations to add to my backlog. Played through Salt & Sanctuary several times, really enjoyed it as well. Looking for games with a similar feel, especially if you can go back and try a different build or play style after an initial run. Have Lords of the Fallen to play through at some point but from the first hour or two I played it wasn't great.

I've picked up Hollow Knight and am a couple hours in, enjoying it but the combat isn't quite what I like and I'm not seeing much replayability.

It's not on sale but from what I've seen Exanima is exactly that from an isometric perspective. It also hasn't updated in 5 months and I don't expect it'll ever be finished but eh, $15.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
Follow up to my Arx Fatalis/RPG overly long post, just a reminder that if you want crazy cheap good older RPGs:

The Gothic series is $4 http://store.steampowered.com/sub/6375/ (Don't worry about getting Gothic 3 Forsaken Gods)

The Divinity Anthology is $3 http://store.steampowered.com/sub/17798/ (Divinity 2 Director's Cut is fantastic if a little janky on the movement)

Sacred 1 is $2 http://store.steampowered.com/app/12320/Sacred_Gold/
Sacred 2 Gold is $3.75 http://store.steampowered.com/app/225640/Sacred_2_Gold/

Risen 1 should be $2.50 because Amazon is mirroring every Steam price and it is the only Risen really worth playing but I can't link it because it's banned in Australia because we're prudish idiots (swampweed was deemed to be too close to actual weed and yes that's the actual reason it's unavailable on Steam in Australia). Risen 2 is okay but it's push to consoles is really starting to show at this point and I haven't even finished it yet so I'm not going to list it as a recommendation, and I can't comment on Risen 3 because I haven't got to it yet. Risen 1 is very much still a Gothic game anyway so definitely get that if you want more Gothic.

Arcania http://store.steampowered.com/app/39690/ArcaniA/ is really not recommended at $4 and definitely not at $7.50 for the complete version - it's the "new" Gothic game that was created once Piranha Bytes and THQ Nordic went their separate ways (by which I mean it's not a Piranha Bytes game). If it was like $4 complete I'd say try it if you want to see where the series went and I almost prefer it to Risen 2 but you'd need to have played everything else and really want to try it.

And I only mentioned Arcania so that the jump to Dungeon Lords at $3.75 isn't as steep as it might have been: http://store.steampowered.com/app/271760/Dungeon_Lords_Steam_Edition/ hahaha oh man seriously that game. I hope it gets bundled or gets down to a dollar one day just so more people can "experience" it...

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Jul 3, 2017

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
more like steam summer stale

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

markgreyam posted:

Dungeon Lords at $3.75 isn't as steep as it might have been: http://store.steampowered.com/app/271760/Dungeon_Lords_Steam_Edition/ hahaha oh man seriously that game. I hope it gets bundled or gets down to a dollar one day just so more people can "experience" it...

Oh man, seriously, this. Dungeon Lords was a trip. Game had so much potential, but if there were a prize for "Most Jank", it would win.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

-Blackadder- posted:

Game had so much potential
Its potential began steadily dropping the moment the first line of code was written.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 3, 2017

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Would you guys recommend Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 enchanced editions? Never played them before. Just looking for some great RPGs ish games

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

SelenicMartian posted:

It's potential began steadily dropping the moment the fist line of code was written.

Considering the only thing I really liked about the game was the lore, I'd say that's probably pretty accurate.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Would you guys recommend Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 enchanced editions? Never played them before. Just looking for some great RPGs ish games

Yes. At this point they're just easier than doing the mods and they're still great games.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I really wish I could go forward in time to see how some of these Early Access survival, sandbox games turn out in the end. 7 Days to Die especially. I can't find anything else in that vein of game that is even close to being where 7D2D is right now.

Also, gently caress Black Desert Online. It's listed in like every category I browse and doesn't even fit there.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

I love these games. I've never played the enhanced edition so I can't speak to the content it adds.

There are a lot of people who don't like them and I have gathered it is because of a few reasons.

1. The RPG system is very obtuse. There are so many options and none of them are what I would say is intuitive. But you really don't need to understand the system to play the game. Here are a few tips: for stats, higher is better and if you are going for strength, 18/00 is the best you can start with. No other stats have that. For armor, lower is better, and negative is best. Weapon proficiencies are weird but not every class can be proficient in every weapon so find one you can put dots in that you like.

2. The combat is hard. It's not hard once you figure it out. The strategy that works best throughout all of the games is crowd control then meat grind. Sleep is a powerful spell in 1 and will work for you throughout the game. Use it often. Any spells which take large chunks of opponents out of the fight will work well. This will not always work in every encounter. Especially as you progress through 2.

I really liked these games and have played them multiple times. There are some exceptionally challenging encounters in these games, especially in two and the expac to two. But if you like the combat you'll get through it.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
It will forever remain a mystery until I no longer live to ponder it as to how pen-and-paper Dungeons & Dragons inspired PC games that in nearly every instance interpreted an absolutely turn-based game as pause-time combat. Which reminds me, everyone go buy Temple of Elemental Evil from GoG because it's not on Steam.

-Blackadder- posted:

Considering the only thing I really liked about the game was the lore, I'd say that's probably pretty accurate.

Wizards & Warriors is one of my favourite games and I really wanted to see where Heuristic Park/D.W. Bradley would go after it ... yeah ...

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 3, 2017

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

kater posted:

Oh my gosh Snake Pass looks so good. Is there something secretly horrible about it or do you get to play a platformer as a big dumb goofy snake?

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I've yet to hear anything bad about it and, in fact, may end up with it by the end of the sale. It looks fantastic and I love that it's not just your standard run-jump-collect platformer.

I bought it earlier and played for about an hour. The only bad thing about the game is the occasional camera issue and checkpoints.
Sometimes the camera wants to zoom out to give you a better view which just ends up putting some background object in the way so you can't see and you have to manually adjust it.
The game has checkpoints and only saves progress when you touch one. If you collect stuff and die you lose it all and get sent back to the checkpoint. You can go back and activate the checkpoint again as many times as you want to save, though.

There's also no jumping. All you can do is coil around stuff which is pretty cool. Also the way to go faster with your snake is to move in an S pattern, like an actual snake, if you just move straight you go pretty slow.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Palpek posted:

Isn't The Silver Case like the Desert Bus of visual novels? With a bunch of intentional tedium?

Or was that another Suda game?

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jul 3, 2017

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

markgreyam posted:

Risen franchise
I'm gonna disagree and say that Risen 2 should be avoided due to extreme amount of jank and some game-breaking bugs. It shouldn't be a problem on todays PC:s, but there is a tomb (sealed tomb on tacarigua) that is literally impossible to raid if a specific graphics setting is below highest. I'm currently working through Risen 3 and so far it does everything Risen 2 does better.

tl;dr - get Risen 3, only get Risen 2 if you love the Gothic/Risen series and have a high tolerance for jank.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

markgreyam posted:

It will forever remain a mystery until I no longer live to ponder it as to how pen-and-paper Dungeons & Dragons inspired PC games that in nearly every instance interpreted an absolutely turn-based game as pause-time combat. Which reminds me, everyone go buy Temple of Elemental Evil from GoG because it's not on Steam.

Wizards & Warriors is one of my favourite games and I really wanted to see where Heuristic Park/D.W. Bradley would go after it ... yeah ...

The Infinity Engine was meant to be for online RTS games but Interplay had the D&D license going to waste. It's why Baldur's Gate has a weird co-op function too and there's really no way to repurpose it for turn based combat while another player could be halfway across the map.

The reverse happened to Diablo where it was originally a turn-based game but after Warcraft's success they basically sped it up ten times.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

They're pretty good. There's a big Baldur's Gate/Infinity Engine thread here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3586742 with a lot of information in the OP that might be worth checking.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Isn't The Silver Case like the Desert Bus of visual novels? With a bunch of intentional tedium?

Yeah, I was thinking of Flower, Sun, and Rain.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Rinkles posted:

The gameplay sections definitely feel like this. The very first playable area has you go to the 2nd floor of a building only for you to discover a door closed with a code - the key to the code is on the 1st floor so you go back to get it and then come back to the closed door (yeah, they really only send you back to waste time).

That's not all though - you then learn that the encryption idea is to jump forward 1 alphabet letter for the first letter of the password, 2 letters for the second, 3 letters for the third and so on. Then the game has you 'solve' a few doors using that. There's no puzzle here, just this tedium of repeating the same encryption pattern over and over.

At the point when one of the passwords was HEYHEYHEYHEYHEY but it's rejected because the serial killer changed it - it became obvious that the dev is just loving with you for the hell of it. Go press some buttons, this is gameplay, you're welcome. It's like that section in The Stanley Parable with pressing the button '8' but unironic.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Palpek posted:

The gameplay sections definitely feel like this. The very first playable area has you go to the 2nd floor of a building only for you to discover a door closed with a code - the key to the code is on the 1st floor so you go back to get it and then come back to the closed door (yeah, they really only send you back to waste time).

That's not all though - you then learn that the encryption idea is to jump forward 1 alphabet letter for the first letter of the password, 2 letters for the second, 3 letters for the third and so on. Then the game has you 'solve' a few doors using that. There's no puzzle here, just this tedium of repeating the same encryption pattern over and over.

At the point when one of the passwords was HEYHEYHEYHEYHEY but it's rejected because the serial killer changed it - it became obvious that the dev is just loving with you for the hell of it. Go press some buttons, this is gameplay, you're welcome. It's like that section in The Stanley Parable with pressing the button '8' but unironic.

Flower, Sun, and Rain sounds like its meaner spiritual successor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

FSR DS is great.

I'm sure that The Silver Case GUI has a button for automatically solving the code locks.

• Locked thread