Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Cythereal posted:

Dude has victorious martyr written all over him and it seems very much in line with how Butcher's been writing the series.

~~he died doing the right thing~~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

biracial bear for uncut posted:

That's funny. It's exactly how I feel about the Iron Druid books.
You say that but then he brings in the other POV characters...

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

jivjov posted:

And he's "about 10 chapters in" to Peace Talks, due to his living situation having him down to "around 5%" of his normal output speed.

I sympathize with the guy, really, but ha, we're never getting this book. I was hoping he was over half way through, or somewhere close to editing. He's basically no where.

Unless this means 10 chapters into editing, but I doubt it.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

anilEhilated posted:

You say that but then he brings in the other POV characters...

"Old Druid" was more entertaining than Atticus. I'll give you Mary Sue White Girl though.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

thrawn527 posted:

I sympathize with the guy, really, but ha, we're never getting this book. I was hoping he was over half way through, or somewhere close to editing. He's basically no where.

Unless this means 10 chapters into editing, but I doubt it.

Why would you say that? He needs to write to live after all.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again
Don't most Dresden books have 30 chapters or more? If he is only 10 chapters in after 3+ years then it might not be until 2023 that we get the book.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Rygar201 posted:

Why would you say that? He needs to write to live after all.

I was exaggerating, we'll likely get it eventually. But as Oroborus said, at this rate it'll be a long time.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

I was exaggerating, we'll likely get it eventually. But as Oroborus said, at this rate it'll be a long time.

Hah, my bad. I've seen plenty of people get all bent out of shape about authors' output before, so I wouldn't have been surprised at all if you had been serious.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

What's wrong with his living situation? I remember him getting divorced but then he remarried, is it that?

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Avalerion posted:

What's wrong with his living situation? I remember him getting divorced but then he remarried, is it that?

His house is/was being rebuilt/built/torndown/condemned/on-fire or something of that radical nature. Needless to say it's disruptive.

Anias fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 3, 2017

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Avalerion posted:

It's because he isn't doing enough drugs.

All the really prolific writers you might think of were addicts of one kind or another.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Anias posted:

His house is/was being rebuilt/built/torndown/condemned/on-fire or something of that radical nature. Needless to say it's disruptive.

New house being built; and his contractors are nearing 18 months behind schedule. So he's been living with his fiancée, but she still lives with her family. So they have a bedroom to themselves and then share the rest of a small home with her family, and 4 cats (2 of which were inspirations for the cats in Aeronaut's Windlass).

So he just doesn't have an office space or anything where he can kick everyone else out and sit down and work on writing.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

jivjov posted:

New house being built; and his contractors are nearing 18 months behind schedule. So he's been living with his fiancée, but she still lives with her family. So they have a bedroom to themselves and then share the rest of a small home with her family, and 4 cats (2 of which were inspirations for the cats in Aeronaut's Windlass).

So he just doesn't have an office space or anything where he can kick everyone else out and sit down and work on writing.

I kinda feel this only goes so far as an excuse. He could find a place to write if he really wanted to. For example, one can rent co-working office space for a pittance.

If he wants to take some time off? That's fine. If he wants to stop writing entirely, well, I can't stop him. As Gaiman would say, he's not my bitch.

I'd simply prefer he not pay lip service and make weak excuses.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

All the really prolific writers you might think of were addicts of one kind or another.

Brandon Sanderson doesn't even drink though.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

I kinda feel this only goes so far as an excuse. He could find a place to write if he really wanted to. For example, one can rent co-working office space for a pittance.

If he wants to take some time off? That's fine. If he wants to stop writing entirely, well, I can't stop him. As Gaiman would say, he's not my bitch.

I'd simply prefer he not pay lip service and make weak excuses.

Yeah. I know a few professional writers that were successful enough for it to be a job, and they lived in similar circumstances. Some of them just bought a nice pre-built shed, put a desk in it, and used it as an office.

Sounds like he's just stressed and isn't really feeling it at the moment. Hope he feels better.

Jim's addicted to conventions. We're all doomed.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Speaking of cons; I'm amused that he took the time to appear at a tiny little anime convention in Kansas City...turns out one of his nieces is on the planning committee for Sausomecon and asked Jim to appear as a favor due to the lack of big name guests.

His Q&A panel had maybe 15 people in attendance. About 6 of us stayed for the signing, and after seeing how short the line was, a guy rolled up with a suitcase containing, literally, the entire body of work from Jim and got EVERYTHING autographed.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

fordan posted:

Writers whose works are worth reading, then. Anybody that continues a series after the original author dies is a hack.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Writers whose works are worth reading, then. Anybody that continues a series after the original author dies is a hack.

Well this is an opinion.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

He was asked to do it by his widow/editor. Also, calling someone else a hack in the Dresden thread? We all love our urban fantasy, but it's not exactly high brow Literature.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

fordan posted:

Isn't he addicted to Magic cards?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Decius posted:

He was asked to do it by his widow/editor.

That really isn't any different from a family member doing it themself (like all the other cases of lovely sequels/prequels of series that ended because the original author died).

quote:

Also, calling someone else a hack in the Dresden thread? We all love our urban fantasy, but it's not exactly high brow Literature.

You might want to keep in mind that my previous post about Butcher was a criticism.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

lmao

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Sounds like he's just stressed and isn't really feeling it at the moment. Hope he feels better.

Yeah, last time I moved I was useless at work the entire time from the stress, and that was just dealing with realtors and the bank, not contractors who are apparently massive fuckups along with it. AND getting divorced and remarried. AND living with my new wife's family. Butcher has to be under some ridiculous strain. I want the new book but I can understand him not getting it done (as opposed to George "poo poo, can't write, football is on" Martin).

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

That really isn't any different from a family member doing it themself (like all the other cases of lovely sequels/prequels of series that ended because the original author died).

Jordan's wish was for someone to finish it. If that's enough for you to dismiss someone, your loss.

quote:

You might want to keep in mind that my previous post about Butcher was a criticism.

Oh, that makes it alright then?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Decius posted:

Oh, that makes it alright then?

You said the Dresden files aren't exactly high brow literature like it had anything at all to do what I posted (in response to someone offering up Sanderson as a prolific author that didn't do drugs--that anyone knows about).

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

vulturesrow posted:

Not sure I agree with this. It might seem like that from his POV but I can't recall any interactions with Mac that reveal much other than he's a person of importance, with some history.

it's all about context. Dresden's talk with Nick in the aquarium seems exactly like Harry thinks it is - a distraction - until after we learn about Nemesis. Then it's an entirely different conversation.

Edit: or literally Butters saying he'd start training once he became a Jedi knight two books before he did. Butcher loves little bits like that.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Pretty much. Jim loves to bury little things in the books that pop up later, and that's why it is fun to theorize about the books. Mac's probably a god from one of the more well-known pantheons, Greek/Roman or Egyptian, maybe Scottish/Irish. I'm leaning towards Norse, based on a few things. My top guesses would be Heimdall, Anubis, or Ma'at. :shrug: Maybe Tyr. Tyr liked Loki's dog.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, I was leaning towards Merlin for a while with Mac but I'm reasonably sure he's the pissy dude trapped in Demonreach after Skin Game.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

Pretty much. Jim loves to bury little things in the books that pop up later, and that's why it is fun to theorize about the books. Mac's probably a god from one of the more well-known pantheons, Greek/Roman or Egyptian, maybe Scottish/Irish. I'm leaning towards Norse, based on a few things. My top guesses would be Heimdall, Anubis, or Ma'at. :shrug: Maybe Tyr. Tyr liked Loki's dog.

I'm guessing Mac is one of the Grigori. He's been referred to as a/the Watcher with a capital before.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I've had my money on Heimdall for quite some time, myself. So I guess I'm with NerdyMcNerdNerd

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Zore posted:

Yeah, I was leaning towards Merlin for a while with Mac but I'm reasonably sure he's the pissy dude trapped in Demonreach after Skin Game.

I believe Butcher specifically said that being is not Merlin

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Jim's on record saying Mac is not a god or a scion of one.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
drat. The sequel to The Girl With Ghost Eyes by MH Boroson has a title (The Girl With No Face), a blurb, and a release date. Too bad that release date is in July 2018.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

fordan posted:

I believe Mormons tend to be high on the Holy Spirit. :v:

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
As someone who just built a house, if you're not on top of your contractors the entire loving time your house is going to be hosed up. Hell, sometimes it is even when you're down there 2 or 3 times a week making sure they're doing everything. So I can only imagine how building your primary residence (ours was a beach house) while living with your fiancé's family would be super disruptive to your work life.

Just for an example of how contractors will screw up. We just built a beach house. It's 4 bedrooms, super simple. Basically just one big box with sectioned off rooms.

They did:
Wrong size posts holding up the roof (had to cut out and replace)
Wrong size posts holding up the stairs on both sides of the house (had to cut out and replace)
Told the concrete guy the wrong dimensions (he didn't bring enough concrete, had to come back a week later with more)
Told us and the concrete guy we could have a driveway (according to the permits, we could not. Had to tear out the brand new driveway)
Installed regular windows instead of high impact windows and told the insurance adjustor that we, the homeowners, would be installing shutters (we are not, that was just a straight lie)
Ordered the wrong size cabinets for the entire house (had to wait a week and a half to get the right size)
There's a litany of other things that are much smaller than these that I can't even remember anymore because it was such a clusterfuck

The inspector came by close to the end and saw the driveway, told us we couldn't have it and it'd have to be removed. Because the inspector didn't sign off, we couldn't get the electricity turned on. Because the electricity wasn't on, we couldn't get appliances delivered. We ended up getting it fixed and having the appliances delivered literally 2 hours before our first renters showed up.

So I can only imagine what Jim is going through since it's his actual HOUSE. He's probably just exhausted and kind of down. I'm more willing to put up with him when he's going through this than I am for someone like Rothfuss or GRRM who aren't dealing with poo poo and are just lazy.

Daric fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jul 3, 2017

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

In grrm/epic-fantasy-author's defense, they write 2-3 or more books worth of dresden by word count at a time.

Here's a quick google for example:

A Song of Ice And Fire - George R. R. Martin
A Game of Thrones: 298k
A Clash of kings: 326k
A Storm of Swords: 424k
A Feast for Crows: 300k
A Dance with Dragons: 422k
Total: 1M 770k

Storm Front: 86,961 words
Fool Moon: 102,149 words
Grave Peril: 116,932 words
Summer Knight: 111,764 words
Blood Rites: 121,308 words
Death Masks: 107,382 words
Dead Beat: 144,555 words
Proven Guilty: 154,598 words
White Night: 130,223 words
Small Favor: 139,798 words
Turn Coat: 141,745 words
Changes: 149,280 words
Ghost story: 162,899 words
Cold Days: 175,685 words
Skin Game: 151,922 words

I think it's reasonable to compare author's within their own genre, but epic fantasy doorstoppers vs urban fantasy isn't a good comparison.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Anias posted:

In grrm/epic-fantasy-author's defense, they write 2-3 or more books worth of dresden by word count at a time.

Here's a quick google for example:

A Song of Ice And Fire - George R. R. Martin
A Game of Thrones: 298k
A Clash of kings: 326k
A Storm of Swords: 424k
A Feast for Crows: 300k
A Dance with Dragons: 422k
Total: 1M 770k

Storm Front: 86,961 words
Fool Moon: 102,149 words
Grave Peril: 116,932 words
Summer Knight: 111,764 words
Blood Rites: 121,308 words
Death Masks: 107,382 words
Dead Beat: 144,555 words
Proven Guilty: 154,598 words
White Night: 130,223 words
Small Favor: 139,798 words
Turn Coat: 141,745 words
Changes: 149,280 words
Ghost story: 162,899 words
Cold Days: 175,685 words
Skin Game: 151,922 words

George R.R. Martin had a 4 year lead on Butcher. And you aren't including the 6 Codex Alera books and the Aeronaut's Windlass in that count.

And even just Dresden is 1M 998K

Zore fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 4, 2017

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

How does Sanderson stack up?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I will admit I think it's hilarious that Jordan managed to put out three books in between the publication of Storm of Swords and Feast for Crows . . . despite literally dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Tunicate posted:

How does Sanderson stack up?

Sanderson is an inhuman wordcount machine.