Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

kaworu posted:

But that is crazy and uh, kinda hard to think that's all a complete and utter coincidence.

I imagine the 119 thing was a Crazy Fan Theory that's been going around longer than we realize, David Lynch caught wind of it and then started loving with people by throwing that number around in places where they'd notice.

Laura Palmer isn't even 119, and they've cited like 6 instances of it and had to stretch it by including "Gotta light". It's completely meaningless and Lynch is probably just taking the piss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
But we do have the crazy junkie screaming 119

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Elias_Maluco posted:

But we do have the crazy junkie screaming 119

that crazy junkie, btw, is Hailey Gates, who is the host of the excellent Viceland show States of Undress. I was super stoked to see her in this. She's been doing some great investigative journalism and it's cool to see her showing up in scripted media also.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

th3t00t posted:

Not a gimmick if that many people are having the same genuine reaction to it. From my perspective, and apparently many others perspective, the gimmick is the circle jerk in here over how good this show is.
Was making a reference to the license plate and accidentally added the o. "DUGE LV"
Actually you're having a hard time following that I stopped at episode 6. It was the pretty straightforward first sentence of my post.

I enjoyed most of season 1 until the murder mystery was over. Season 2 was so bad that I mostly just left it on in the background until the final handful of episodes where all the black lodge stuff started ramping up.

Season 3 so far feels far more like season 2 than 1. It's the same dead pointless screen time filler and "wacky zany" lynch characters turned up to 1000% wackiness that got the show cancelled during it's 2nd season 26 years ago.

Season 3 is a new spin on everything that was bad about and didn't work for Twin Peaks during it's first run.

You aren't going to win this one.

The GBS thread is the actual thread for anything approaching a sane attempt at discussing the new season.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

King Vidiot posted:

Laura Palmer isn't even 119, and they've cited like 6 instances of it and had to stretch it by including "Gotta light". It's completely meaningless and Lynch is probably just taking the piss.

Also, the actual quote is "Got a light," which makes that inclusion more than a stretch.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

TheMaestroso posted:

Also, the actual quote is "Got a light," which makes that inclusion more than a stretch.

Is it? The episode title is "Gotta Light?" on Amazon's showtime channel for whatever it's worth, not "Got a Light?"

I wouldn't give it any credence if it weren't for the inexplicable women screaming "ONE ONE NINE!" and the general importance seemingly random numbers have in the series.

We've already had lots of numbers as "hints" or numbers that have seeming meaning beyond the mundane - such as 315, or 253 which seems to have meant 2:53 on a given day. We were also told by the giant to "remember 430".

And "119" is another clearly significant number on the show just from the woman shouting it. The names might just be a coincidence, but there's an awful lot of numerology going on here, IMO.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

spudsbuckley posted:

The GBS thread is the actual thread for anything approaching a sane attempt at discussing the new season.

u sure seem to enjoy posting about a show you hate and gave up on after two episodes lmao

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TheMaestroso posted:

It's not on the showtime website!

But also it's just a fun little thing. It remains to be seen if 1-1-9 actually does mean anything.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

*extremely GBS and wrestling poster voice*

ugh this is so below me. what utter film school twaddle. gimme my drat fine coffee already

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I thought she was telling nine one one but too high to get it right

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

spudsbuckley posted:

I went to the GBS thread and its like the completely opposite of this, everybody hates the show.

Can we call this The White Thread and the GBS one The Black Thread?

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I really do not get all these white noise posts accusing people of just 'pretending' to like this. What the gently caress? Why on loving earth would I waste time talking about something I am pretending to like to.... apparently seem cool (lol, like that's going to happen in a TVIV thread) on a forum full of utterly uncool dweebs/wonks on various subjects? I'm 32 years old. I have to work and make a living. The idea that people here are just... wasting their time doing some 'online circlejerk' is just so inherently loving dumb.

I just assume these are the same people who sincerely believe that contemporary art or photography isn't "real art" because anybody can splatter paint or anybody can take a picture.

It's like the group of people whose heads would explode if they were forced to watch an early Jarmusch movie.

I have to admit though, I do feel superior to people who don't like directors like Lynch or Jarmusch or whatever because (pretty much like everyone) I generally think I have good taste and I feel like the people who are able to enjoy films like Stranger Than Paradise or Eraserhead without falling asleep or turning it off or getting pissed off tend to be pretty cool people.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

kaworu posted:

I really do not get all these white noise posts accusing people of just 'pretending' to like this. What the gently caress? Why on loving earth would I waste time talking about something I am pretending to like to.... apparently seem cool (lol, like that's going to happen in a TVIV thread) on a forum full of utterly uncool dweebs/wonks on various subjects? I'm 32 years old. I have to work and make a living. The idea that people here are just... wasting their time doing some 'online circlejerk' is just so inherently loving dumb.

I just assume these are the same people who sincerely believe that contemporary art or photography isn't "real art" because anybody can splatter paint or anybody can take a picture.

It's like the group of people whose heads would explode if they were forced to watch an early Jarmusch movie.

I have to admit though, I do feel superior to people who don't like directors like Lynch or Jarmusch or whatever because (pretty much like everyone) I generally think I have good taste and I feel like the people who are able to enjoy films like Stranger Than Paradise or Eraserhead without falling asleep or turning it off or getting pissed off tend to be pretty cool people.
I enjoy paint splatter art and contemporary photography. I just looked up Stranger Than Paradise on youtube and wow.... it's even worse than a Lynch film.

I feel like after watching Lynch or Jarmusch you have one of 2 reactions. You admit to yourself you just watched garbage, or your brain misfires and you feel a false sense of superiority for liking it when no one else does.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
No one likes Lynch? lol

The problem here seems to be that some people cant understad/enjoy it and feel dumb about it so they feel this need of going into the internet and calling people who did understood/enjoy it fakers

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

option 3: impotent rage at being unable to enjoy things other people seem to enjoy

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Whole lot of Chad in this thread now.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

So sick of chad's bullshit

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
gbs is the part of SA that never grew out of their teenage years and thus feel an innate drive to hate everyone and everything and lash out aimlessly. most of us became adults and learned that words like "new" or "popular" don't make things automatically bad.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
I mean, it's fun to watch. I like watching David Lynch movies and shows because they're extremely entertaining and hold my attention and give me a lot to think about. I can barely focus on getting dressed in the morning and I can kill hours with headphones on in a dark room watching this guy's stuff. It's good.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

None of the episodes have titles/subtitles anywhere else - they're just "Part x." Showtime deciding to put little short things under the "name" of the episode doesn't seem to have significance.

/buzzkill

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

TheMaestroso posted:

None of the episodes have titles/subtitles anywhere else - they're just "Part x." Showtime deciding to put little short things under the "name" of the episode doesn't seem to have significance.

/buzzkill

Weren't the original season one episode titles an invention of a German TV channel or something? They might become canonical before you know it.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

The Straight Story is probably the most heartbreaking G-rated movie I've ever seen in my life, for what it's worth.

I bawled uncontrollably when i randomly came across it on Bravo in the early 2000s, I didn't even know it was a Lynch film at the time. I'm seriously welling up just thinking about it now, thanks jerks.

vivisectvnv fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 3, 2017

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

You don't have to attach dumb/smart labels to not liking/liking a tv show. You can just like it or not like it. It's okay.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

vivisectvnv posted:

I balled uncontrollably when i randomly came across it on Bravo in the early 2000s, I didn't even know it was a Lynch film at the time. I'm seriously welling up just thinking about it now, thanks jerks.

i'm really hoping you mean bawled.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
Lynch works are uniquely intimate, in a way where people that really adore his films are experiencing them in a visceral emotive way. This experience obviously varies from person to person greatly and to assume that people that like Lynch are in on some kind of meta-post-modern LOLZ is ridiculous. I'm in the camp of people that don't get into the minutiae/symbolism of his films, but I get why that is also an attractive way for people to experience his works as well.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i'm really hoping you mean bawled.

actually kind of wish i started playing a ton of pick-up basketball after watching the straight story, but no i just cried like a baby

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

spudsbuckley posted:

The last few pages of that thread is everyone telling you to gently caress off as well, so I guess I'd have to agree.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

*thread spawns 120+ pages of discussion in under a month and a half*
"Boy, all those people enjoying that show and finding a lot in it to discuss sure are loving STUPID! I'll show them!"

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

And More posted:

Weren't the original season one episode titles an invention of a German TV channel or something? They might become canonical before you know it.

To be fair, the original series wasn't conceived of as an hours-long movie split up into pieces.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

cis autodrag posted:

gbs is the part of SA that never grew out of their teenage years and thus feel an innate drive to hate everyone and everything and lash out aimlessly. most of us became adults and learned that words like "new" or "popular" don't make things automatically bad.
Lynch and Twin Peaks are neither "new" or "popular".

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

TheMaestroso posted:

To be fair, the original series wasn't conceived of as an hours-long movie split up into pieces.

Also, there's like 3 different episode-numbering systems for the first 2 seasons, so the "descriptive" titles serve the purpose of being specific and unambiguous about the reference.

Like, e.g. "May the Giant Be with You" can otherwise be called any of the following:
- season 2, episode 1
- episode 9 (counting the pilot as episode 1)
- Episode 8 (official title).

Season 3 isn't going to have the same problem, so alternate titles aren't really that useful.

Shonen Waifu
Jun 29, 2003

Man, I love this show.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Klungar posted:

So did anyone else read Baby Driver as a Leo/Shelly Johnson origin story?

Debora, for sure, but Baby's not an abusive douche and is repelled by violence. So it's more if Shelly got with some cross-product of Bobby and James.

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008

kaworu posted:

You know what's odd? if Janey-E Jones did not have that weird E at the end of her first name, then her digits would add up at 118, just like Laura Palmer. But she's not Janey Jones, she's Janey-E Jones so her number is 123.

But that is crazy and uh, kinda hard to think that's all a complete and utter coincidence.

Actually, it is very easy.

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008
Good Coop When Audrey is in his bed naked: What I want and what I need are two very different things.
Evil Coop: I don't need. I want.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

:gonk:

jtr
Oct 17, 2004

You've ruined the act, GOB.
I just watched Blue Velvet for the first time.

:monocle:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

jtr posted:

I just watched Blue Velvet for the first time.

:monocle:
Here's to your gently caress!

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

i kind of bounced off blue velvet. too much gross sex

Counteresperanto
Jun 15, 2007

Achievement is its' own reward. Pride obscures it.

Hijinks Ensue posted:

I love this show so much, and really resent having to miss a week because of the holiday (which I couldn't celebrate even if I felt like doing so as I have to work).

I'm wondering if the Harry Dean Stanton character at some point was one of the dark hobo squad. He kind of looks like them, and there was that weird bit in FWWM when he says something about not wanting to go back (haven't seen it in a while so I'm fuzzy on details). Just a thought.

Carl said he'd been smoking for seventy five years and seemed god damned proud of it. I guess he got a light a long loving time ago: Even before the nuclear explosion and the arrival of the Woodsmen we saw in this episode.

In FWWM, Carl takes Agents Desmond and Stanley to Theresa Banks' trailer. An old woman appears in the doorway, profoundly disturbing Carl. This woman's face is darkened with dirt or soot, not unlike the Woodsman. Then we see the power line pole and hear the Arm's Indian whooping/ sound of electricity. Carl says "See, I've already gone places. I just want to stay where I am."

For whatever reason, there seems to be a great deal of emphasis on smoking and dirty faces wherever Carl Rodd or the Woodsman are concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanz
May 30, 2013

Counteresperanto posted:

Carl said he'd been smoking for seventy five years and seemed god damned proud of it. I guess he got a light a long loving time ago: Even before the nuclear explosion and the arrival of the Woodsmen we saw in this episode.

In FWWM, Carl takes Agents Desmond and Stanley to Theresa Banks' trailer. An old woman appears in the doorway, profoundly disturbing Carl. This woman's face is darkened with dirt or soot, not unlike the Woodsman. Then we see the power line pole and hear the Arm's Indian whooping/ sound of electricity. Carl says "See, I've already gone places. I just want to stay where I am."

For whatever reason, there seems to be a great deal of emphasis on smoking and dirty faces wherever Carl Rodd or the Woodsman are concerned.

I think it was mentioned before, but the book also mentions that he "went missing" near Owl Cave along with Maggie/The Log Lady and a third friend of theirs too; Dougie Milford even witnessed it, the experience seeming close to an alien abduction at the time

So... dude's definitely seen *something* with the lodges