Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Interesting detail: Genjirou's father wasn't twenty feet tall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
This isn't funny. Where are my bakas?:(

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

i'm sure glad my cute dumb friends are having such a fun time

fun times

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013

Mirage posted:

I guess Genjirou's hulked up like Bruce Banner but permanently :v:

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Maybe Genjiro's been mad this whole time, and when the power of love finally calms him down he'll shrink to 5 feet tall.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
:stonklol:

Well...
uh.

Certainly didn't need to intervene directly

King Superman
Nov 14, 2016
:( but inevitable. It was always clear that Asahi wasn't going to be able to set things right for Genjirou, if only because we know the true "final battle" must surely pivot around Youko's graduation.

Mirage posted:

Could be that Genjirou somehow warped his growth by persistently refusing to drink blood? His dad has no such reservations about partaking in typical vampire things, so he'd be unaffected.

Correct me if I'm misunderstanding, but that is what triggered his freakout, right? He's been trying to suppress his instinct to drink blood for years, until the craving finally erupted in spectacular fashion, and from there he got even more stressed because everybody was looking at him like he was a monster. I'm a bit confused, though; in this reading, he hasn't sucked any blood since coming to school, but I thought it had previously been mentioned that he'd drank Touho's blood during one of their amusement park dates, and that was back when he was still human size. I feel like I must be missing something here, since the author has otherwise been fantastic about weaving a bunch of consistent little details together over the length of the story.

I am glad that we got to see Genjirou's childhood home, however briefly. With so much of the story focused on supernatural folks trying to assimilate to human society, I've been curious about what becomes of vampires who don't decide to go off to human high school.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
What is this, some kind of street performance? Not really the right time of year for it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

King Superman posted:

:( but inevitable. It was always clear that Asahi wasn't going to be able to set things right for Genjirou, if only because we know the true "final battle" must surely pivot around Youko's graduation.

Could be that Genjirou somehow warped his growth by persistently refusing to drink blood? His dad has no such reservations about partaking in typical vampire things, so he'd be unaffected.

Correct me if I'm misunderstanding, but that is what triggered his freakout, right? He's been trying to suppress his instinct to drink blood for years, until the craving finally erupted in spectacular fashion, and from there he got even more stressed because everybody was looking at him like he was a monster. I'm a bit confused, though; in this reading, he hasn't sucked any blood since coming to school, but I thought it had previously been mentioned that he'd drank Touho's blood during one of their amusement park dates, and that was back when he was still human size. I feel like I must be missing something here, since the author has otherwise been fantastic about weaving a bunch of consistent little details together over the length of the story.

I am glad that we got to see Genjirou's childhood home, however briefly. With so much of the story focused on supernatural folks trying to assimilate to human society, I've been curious about what becomes of vampires who don't decide to go off to human high school.

There's the possibility that he lied to his daughter because of the consequences of his actions. He didn't want her to attempt it either.

It might be a level of frequency that matters here.

Maybe the rejection of his vampire self caused so much internal rage that he warped his body too far. He saw vampires as monsters so that's what he became.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

There Bias Two posted:

Maybe the rejection of his vampire self caused so much internal rage that he warped his body too far. He saw vampires as monsters so that's what he became.

Huh. That sort of ties into the theme of Jitsu Wa as a whole, doesn't it. "Actually, I am ..." You become what you think you are, and with the right impetus you can change your inner self and thus alter your whole life. So maybe there's still a Good End lurking for Genjirou after all these years.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mirage posted:

Huh. That sort of ties into the theme of Jitsu Wa as a whole, doesn't it. "Actually, I am ..." You become what you think you are, and with the right impetus you can change your inner self and thus alter your whole life. So maybe there's still a Good End lurking for Genjirou after all these years.

I can't wait for the official English books to reach this arc and replace the Genjiro's inner turmoil with "My monster secret is I want to be a human."

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Hate-Senpai posted:

I can't wait for the official English books to reach this arc and replace the Genjiro's inner turmoil with "My monster secret is I want to be a human."

Wait they actually use "my monster secret" in the text? I mean, it makes some sense for the title, but...no one would ever say that.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

There Bias Two posted:

Wait they actually use "my monster secret" in the text? I mean, it makes some sense for the title, but...no one would ever say that.

I'm just jesting, I have no idea since I don't live in the West.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

King Superman posted:

He'd drank Touko's blood before, I'm sure. He's been eyeing her neck for several chapters now, so he's been trying to suppress the urge as much as possible. And then, because he was holding back so much he lost control and drank from Touko in the middle of class, and did the thing that vampires apparently do when they drink blood after having not drank any for a long time. It wouldn't surprise me if the only other time he drank Touko's blood was on the ferris wheel that one time.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Tarage posted:

Are you having a good day?

I wasn't you motherfucker!!!!!! And now this!! gently caress!!!

take a week off dude, you guys deserve it! And thanks for the translations as always!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Tarage posted:

I wonder how many of you would put a price on my head if I said there might not be a chapter next week because most of the staff is going to Anime Expo this weekend...

I will cut off your head and stick it on a pike as a warning to the next ten generations that some vacations come with too high a price :mad:

But seriously though, have fun.

We certainly aren't, having read this chapter :( Honestly though, getting Genjirou a happy ending here would've completely invalidated the previous 170+ chapters, and whether or not timelines could actually be changed, this one certainly wasn't going to.

Tarage
Dec 17, 2015

Just a little bwaka.

King Superman posted:

You pretty much have it. My understanding is he may have had some blood here and there, but he very much resisted the urge till it exploded out of him. That and the trauma of all of the people he cared about seeing him as a monster triggered him to go ultra vampire. Youko, thankfully, has been doing the slow normal transformation, which is why she has yet to XBOXHUEG herself. I think Genjirou is the exception, not the rule.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Ohh what if Shiragami isn't mentioned in the future because she decides not to live with humanity anymore?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

There Bias Two posted:

Ohh what if Shiragami isn't mentioned in the future because she decides not to live with humanity anymore?

you shut up with your downer endings :mad:

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
What if Shiragami doesn't exist in the future cause Kuromine fucks this up and Gen doesn't marry Touko.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I swear to god if this manga has a downer ending after all the cute+dumb hijinx that dominated the run i am going to be really miffed

:(

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Zore posted:

I swear to god if this manga has a downer ending after all the cute+dumb hijinx that dominated the run i am going to be really miffed

Don't worry, Tarage said the ending was appropriately cute + dumb.

Maybe Kuromine snaps and reveals his actual secret.

He's a time-travelling serial killer.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Judging by his supporting cast, I think the actual secret is that he's an incubus (or half incubus).

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Hmm, we don't have a succubus character...

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Zeruel posted:

Hmm, we don't have a succubus character...

:confused:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
we don't have a good succubus character

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Agronox posted:

Now that's just being racist against Minnesotans.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Completely forgettable.
Well, we don't have an incubus character then.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Agronox posted:

*Perceptions may differ from reality.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Every character who isn't getting put into the back of a police car on a regular basis is cute, and dumb, and good

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I want to re-read from the beginning. Is the manga on Crunchyroll or another legit manga site yet? Preferrably a free one?

khy fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jul 3, 2017

Astribulus
Apr 20, 2004
That's the second largest duck I've ever had in my pants. - Guybrush Threepwood

khy posted:

I want to re-read from the beginning. Is the manga on Crunchyroll or another legit manga site yet? Preferrably a free one?

I don't know of anywhere legally online. A library might have paper copies, though. The first six books are available in english so far, and book seven is coming in about three weeks.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Astribulus posted:

I don't know of anywhere legally online. A library might have paper copies, though. The first six books are available in english so far, and book seven is coming in about three weeks.

Books? Paper? How archaic.

Also : I'd heard that the manga's been completed as of earlier this year. Is that true or false? And have the translations reached that point yet?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

khy posted:

Books? Paper? How archaic.

Also : I'd heard that the manga's been completed as of earlier this year. Is that true or false? And have the translations reached that point yet?

Yes, the manga is complete; no, the translations haven't got there yet but we're definitely in the home stretch.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

khy posted:

True. Tarage and crew are still working through the scanlations and I think they have either 10 or 20 chapters left to go.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Agronox posted:

True. Tarage and crew are still working through the scanlations and I think they have either 10 or 20 chapters left to go.

It's all about the journey, Agronox.

I'm really gonna miss these cute idiots! :cry:

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

A good story ending is always bittersweet.

Don't want to see them go, but something getting milked until it stops being fun and interesting is the worst possible fate something can get.
It's better to end on a high note.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TerminusEst13 posted:

A good story ending is always bittersweet.

Don't want to see them go, but something getting milked until it stops being fun and interesting is the worst possible fate something can get.
It's better to end on a high note.
Youko can't sing for poo poo, you jerk! :mad:

Tarage
Dec 17, 2015

Just a little bwaka.
https://bato.to/reader#70df1e8019fc50ef

So here's the deal. Everyone worked their butts off to get everything done early before we went to Anime Expo. The plan was that I would typeset it on Tuesday night when I got back and then we'd release it on Wednesday as normal. Sadly, I got back super late, and I caught a cold at the con, so I feel like poo poo. But, because I didn't want the hard work everyone put in to go to waste, I sudafed' up and burned this out. There may be mistakes, because I only did a very quick QC on 4chan after I finished typesetting it, so we might need a V2, but otherwise I wanted to release it tonight, if a bit late. I'm sorry it's late, but I hope you enjoy it. And to those of you who are worried by this new, much darker tone to Jitsu wa, trust me when I say there will be comedy in the coming chapters. Yes, we are entering the final arc with chapter 178, but there is humor mixed in to the climax. Please enjoy it, and please support the series by buying the official translations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Good work friendo!

And I have up to volume 7 purchased/preordered already!!!

• Locked thread