Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Are you saying you DON'T want to see Rodin naked?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sunning posted:

"Bayonetta 2, Super Smash Bros for Wii U, and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze are all great games in a year full of buggy, bland, and disappointing games... but are they enough to save the Wii U?"

Don't forget original Mario Kart 8. Gamers are dumb and lame and that's why the Wii U failed.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
The Wii U is good as hell. I have a library of like 20 fantastic exclusives but they're being ported to the switch so lol jokes on me.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

If Bayonetta is coming for the Switch does that mean... P.N.03 remake when???

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I for one am glad that the good games aren't staying on a dead console nobody bought.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Nintendo, when?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
If someone doesn't say something about when Stardew Valley is coming or wtf is going on I'm going to post about it on the internet so hard. How can there be NO updates?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Imagined posted:

If someone doesn't say something about when Stardew Valley is coming or wtf is going on I'm going to post about it on the internet so hard.

It's coming at some point in the future

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Imagined posted:

If someone doesn't say something about when Stardew Valley is coming or wtf is going on I'm going to post about it on the internet so hard. How can there be NO updates?

This is how I feel about Enter the Gungeon. I want a release date! Ugh. Or just SOME sort of update since they announced it in February.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Nintendo is actual rear end for the way they treat us.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Why is the switch a hit and the Wii U wasn't? Seems like the Switch is doing what Nintendo always does: one new good Zelda, a MARIO, a MARIO kart, etc. What is so different this time around?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

thexerox123 posted:

This is how I feel about Enter the Gungeon. I want a release date! Ugh. Or just SOME sort of update since they announced it in February.

This guy gets it

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

orphean posted:

Atlus/Nintendo please re-release Tokyo Mirage Sessions for the switch, thanks in advance.

With a dub or at least subbed battle voices

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

GoldfishStew posted:

Why is the switch a hit and the Wii U wasn't? Seems like the Switch is doing what Nintendo always does: one new good Zelda, a MARIO, a MARIO kart, etc. What is so different this time around?

Better hardware, more compelling play pattern, the meaningful exclusives actually came out instead of being held back for half hearted third party efforts, and perhaps most importantly, clear and effective marketing that doesn't cause people to think it's an add on for the Wii.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The name marks it as clearly a new console and not a possible upgrade. It only ever has a single screen and isn't saddled with the gamepad. And a portable console is something people have wanted for awhile.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

GoldfishStew posted:

- BotW is a great game.
- Nintendo portables have always done well
- They nailed the name and messaging (it's not called the Wii U)
- The other consoles aren't offering anything new and exciting lately
- Since the Wii U was essentially a lost generation for Nintendo people are primed to be nostalgic for games they haven't played in a while
- It's actually a good product that works the way it's supposed to

Imagined fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 3, 2017

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

GoldfishStew posted:

I really don't know. Maybe because the Wii U launched with little fanfare and a poor launch lineup right after the Wii, whereas the Switch launched with tons of advertising, an actually useful gimmick, and the best Zelda game of all time right after the Wii U. The Switch seems to be riding a similar hype wave that the Wii was in its first year.

herakles
Jan 17, 2009
Yeah, I still don't know what the deal with the Wii U was. Was it a really expensive Wii controller, or a standalone console, or a portable Wii? No idea.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
You really don't know? Was it really that confusing? Xbox had the Xbox 360 no one assumed that was a dongle.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The WiiU was easily the biggest flop next to the Virtual Boy.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Am I crazy for wanting a Switch more for Blaster Master than anything else?

I owned BM for my NES and spent hundreds of hours playing through when I was a kid; I used to have every route in every zone memorized. And now the new one seems to incentivize going through the dungeons that are normally skipped as dead ends so I have even more reason to waste even more time on it.

BotW seems nice too but somehow my enthusiasm is more for BM than any other game.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

GoldfishStew posted:

You really don't know? Was it really that confusing? Xbox had the Xbox 360 no one assumed that was a dongle.

It had better marketing and didn't resemble a longer version of it's predecessor

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

GoldfishStew posted:

Consumers are very very stupid and the market isn't the same as it was 10 years ago. The confusing naming convention hurt sales of the X-Box One too.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president
lol

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Nintendo is actual rear end for the way they treat us.

Agreed, actual rear end is pretty great in a lot of ways

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004
And so it came to pass, and so it was told, quoth the raven "never more"
I have a feeling I'm the only one who is excited for Splatoon 2

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Coolspaz posted:

Your feeling is demonstrably wrong.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

GoldfishStew posted:

The advertising campaign for the Wii U was really loving bad

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

GoldfishStew posted:

Microsoft featured the console heavily in its marketing and it looked markedly different than the previous console.

Nintendo featured the Gamepad heavily and either hid the actual console completely or displayed it in a way that made it look very, very similar to the Wii.

It's common to joke about the Wii U being just the gamepad in gaming circles but John J Public didn't (and probably still doesn't) realize that it's a separate console from the Wii.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I had a friend over at my place in December of 2016 who is pretty big into games still genuinely confused as to what the Wii U was. Like, he did not realize that the rounded black box under the TV was the Wii U, he thought maybe it was just the gamepad.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Coolspaz posted:

I will buy the ridiculous dongle for voicechat

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It took forever for them to show off the actual console and I have no idea why

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Coolspaz posted:

How dare you

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Coolspaz posted:

:oh:

I AM SUPER HYPE TO SPLAT SOME FOOLS

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

lelandjs posted:

Microsoft featured the console heavily in its marketing and it looked markedly different than the previous console.

Nintendo featured the Gamepad heavily and either hid the actual console completely or displayed it in a way that made it look very, very similar to the Wii.

It's common to joke about the Wii U being just the gamepad in gaming circles but John J Public didn't (and probably still doesn't) realize that it's a separate console from the Wii.

Even the box art for the drat thing has the game pad hiding the console behind it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nintendo unfortunately decided to focus on the controller being its unique selling point to the detriment (and confusion) of everything else.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

GoldfishStew posted:

When Nintendo started showing off the Wii U, even several posters here thought for a while it was just a tablet for the Wii. The initial marketing could've been a little more clear.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Coolspaz posted:

the first splattoon was super cute so i think this one will be too, and i'll prob buy it and be terrible at it

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Splatoon 2 looks pretty cool to me, but I've never played Splatoon. I'm worried that I won't like how it controls and will be annoyed I bought it (missed the test fires).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Beyond that, the Wii U didn't offer anything new that people actually wanted. It was Xbox 360-level hardware released at a time when the PS4 was about to drop. Its main gimmick was the tablet controller that i, at least, never wanted to use. DS style gaming has never been my thing and I already knew that, just like the Wii, no games would really use the new gimmick anyway, at least in a way that was necessary to the game. All it would do, as well saw on the Wii, was guarantee third party support would be dismal. It also to this day has never gotten a real price drop as far as I'm aware. I never bought one because I kept waiting for it to be >$199 and it never was to my knowledge.

The Switch is similarly underpowered, but as a portable hybrid people are willing to overlook that because of its great design, and third parties are coming to it because as a portable they can release the kind of games for it they previously did for the 3DS and Vita.

• Locked thread