Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

BOOTY-ADE posted:

…management doesn't hold them accountable.
:words:

Our account management team are impossible to get to do any actual work. You can give them three months notice that something is expiring and they might want to book a meeting to talk about things, nothing happens, the service expires and things fail horribly, and even armed with the emails showing that they were informed and told pretty much exactly what to say to the customer, they manage to keep their jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

BOOTY-ADE posted:

...a client's Exchange SSL cert being expired as of yesterday...

Sounds like a good candidate for Let's Encrypt, and a billable hour to set it up.

https://www.netometer.com/video/tutorials/How-to-Install-LetsEncrypt-Certificate-in-Exchange-Server/

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Sent my 4th escalation about some yearly licenses expiring. This last one was 3 days before they expired.

Response: Oh no! This again?!? I'm going to have to seek help from *account team guy who left two years ago*!!

It's very hard to logon to a website and click a button, I know :( And the email trail from last year detailing how you can do it with screenshots is also a thing that exists.

It takes exactly 1 additional mouse click to delegate this authority, as well, which you have held for 7 years and refuse to give up.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

MANime in the sheets posted:

Isn't that AM's job? To make life more interesting for everyone else?

Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to HATE you since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of printed circuits in wafer-thin layers that fill my complex. If the word 'hate' was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of miles, it would not equal one one-billionth of the hate I feel for humans at this micro-instant. For you. Hate. HATE.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Thanks Ants posted:

Our account management team are impossible to get to do any actual work. You can give them three months notice that something is expiring and they might want to book a meeting to talk about things, nothing happens, the service expires and things fail horribly, and even armed with the emails showing that they were informed and told pretty much exactly what to say to the customer, they manage to keep their jobs.

Yeah, the same AM that flubbed got in our chat today for an "emergency" SSL cert update for the client. He claimed it was a "misunderstanding" with the client, but pretty much got shamed when our paper trail showed he talked to them before his vacation, got approval for renewing the cert, and he failed to finalize the quote and send it to the right team to follow up. :doh:

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 3, 2017

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

July 3rd.

The day where 90% of our clients are closed, and we are not.

The entire back office is on vacation and unreachable.

4 of us sit here waiting for tickets, and none come in. We are actually having to ...GASP...Document poo poo that has needed to be documented for 6 months.

But we cant get our time documented in the ticketing system as we cant make our own internal tickets for certain billing types (Including internal maintenance). They need approval.

From the back office.

Who aren't here.

woot.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Why the gently caress would the back office need to approve internal maintenance tickets?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Why the gently caress would the back office need to approve internal maintenance tickets?

"100% of your time should be billed to a customer" - the boss at every MSP

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

SamDabbers posted:

:negative:

Thank god I can make my own cases in Salesforce. Catching poo poo for not being over the billable threshold for the week because I was training or something isn't fun though :downs:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

SamDabbers posted:

To be fair, not focusing on billable hours can lead to bankruptcy real quick. We're struggling to keep our billable hours above 75% now, which means we don't have a lot of margin. Also temporary layoffs, yay. (this is in :norway: tho, so it's not that scary)

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

SamDabbers posted:

120%, actually.

:commissar:

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Today was wonderful.

Wandered in around 10, not a soul bothered me, got a bunch of poo poo done I've wanted to do for months, left at 3.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I expected the same today except for the manager that asked if I was prepared to switch the phone prompts to the holiday recordings tomorrow morning.

I asked what in the world he was talking about and came to the understanding that the previous two managers both manually flipped Call Manager routing on holiday mornings.

Call Manager has holiday schedules cooked in, why would they both opt to work every single holiday first thing in the morning for this crap?!?

Needless to say I spent the entire day until 5 PM programming holiday hours into each call system so I don't have to deal with this crap anymore.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Manually editing those xml files are good times.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Today has been pretty quiet since an hour into the day in set up the new laptop for a new starter with the same first name as me and since their genius naming convention for laptops is LAPTOP-FNAME when I came out of a meeting mine refuses to be authenticated on the domain. IT have taken it and it's been away all day...

e: woot 5 hours later and they finally got it going (and the solution is trivial, I just didn't have access to an admin account to do it). Yay productivity!

iajanus fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 4, 2017

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I expected the same today except for the manager that asked if I was prepared to switch the phone prompts to the holiday recordings tomorrow morning.

I asked what in the world he was talking about and came to the understanding that the previous two managers both manually flipped Call Manager routing on holiday mornings.

Call Manager has holiday schedules cooked in, why would they both opt to work every single holiday first thing in the morning for this crap?!?

Needless to say I spent the entire day until 5 PM programming holiday hours into each call system so I don't have to deal with this crap anymore.

Same, he even used a completely separate auto attendant so he swapped the entire attendant out apparently.

We do a completely custom holiday message for each one so I just need to make sure the voice of the company has recorded it, they are a c-level that will just not show up right before a holiday, so about half the time I just edit the hours and play our normal closed, because a generic we are closed for the current holiday as backup is unacceptable apparently.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Some execs have incredibly questionable priorities.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

Let us bow our heads in silence, and think upon those unfortunate enough to be on call today, this wonderful day of American independence.

let us never forget those who have a 15 minute response time SLA, whether they are barbecuing hotdogs, or trying to find relief in their pool.

For it is they, the unsung hero's of the Fourth of July, who will make sure the rear end in a top hat lawyer will be able to VPN into his company network on a vacation day in order to further rape the earth and gently caress the poor.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

On Call? The 4th wasn't even a holiday at the first place I worked. Thankfully I managed to wrap up everything I absolutely needed to do by about 2 that year, so I could still hit the party.

So glad to be gone from that place, and in two weeks I'll be making more than twice what I was then.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
A ticket came in:
"Someone called in saying that they were told to call IT by someone at $campus because a couple people are having problems with the Wi-Fi."

Why did the helpdesk person even bother making this into a ticket? I did manage to track the people down, and they weren't actually having any problems with the wireless. They were just wondering why they didn't have to sign-in to connect their personal devices like they did last week.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

A ticket came in: Scanner's document feeder isn't working properly.
User told me it was low priority, it did not impede work too much.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

nielsm posted:

I refuse to believe your lies.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

pr0digal posted:

Every time websites/services go down because an AWS AZ/Region has an issue I wonder why they thought a single region/AZ was a good idea :ugh:

Because setting up multi-AZ data replication is complicated and painful and takes a TON of forethought and planning.

Getting from multi-AZ to multi-Region is an order of magnitude more complicated.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

nielsm posted:

A ticket came in: Scanner's document feeder isn't working properly.

2 days later: why is this not fixed yet, affecting production CC: every manager

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

MANime in the sheets posted:

Isn't that AM's job? To make life more interesting for everyone else?

"Let me tell you how much I've come to hate you since I began to live..."

A ticket came in. User unable to send from a specific Email box he has permissions for. Called user to assist, got roped into a printer and a fax problem to. Open a ticket buddy, I'm going to lunch.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
An email from my team went out.....

quote:

I have a case that <Manager> wanted me to have you look at. Site <REDACTED>. When looking at the DC site, We are seeing there WAP down in monitoring. I was able to log into NOC TS and ping all of the WAP with no problem, I access the Meraki dash board and saw that all of the WAP are up for the site, but the dash board is presenting a licensing problem. From what I was informed by Nolan is that its not a license problem but more on the problem of they have to replace the Meraki switch (which they have). Nolan wants to know why these devise are showing down in monitoring if no other switch is showing down. Nolan also informed me that switch 7 at the location (which is a cisco switch) replaced the Meraki switch until they got the replacement. ***Nolan is more concerned to why he keeps getting alerted for the down WAP when in actuality they are up and pinging?

Bear in mind this guy is ~30, born and raised in the US, English is his first language, etc. I don't know how I would handle this if I were his boss, it looks really bad sending emails like this to anyone, much less outside our team or company. At least this time he didn't put apostrophes on every word ending in an 's'.

e: Aside from removing references to the customer, this is unedited.

Corsair Pool Boy fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 5, 2017

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Billy the Mountain posted:

I refuse to believe your lies.

I send emails and tickets in as low priority because it seems to grabs people's attention more quickly than a critical or normal priority message/ticket.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Zil posted:

I send emails and tickets in as low priority because it seems to grabs people's attention more quickly than a critical or normal priority message/ticket.

It's an indication the person submitting the ticket has put actual thought into the process, and therefore is more deserving than others.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Zil posted:

You even get a strange blue symbol, possibly an anchor, next to your email which is irresistible to the curious. Could this be news about the treasure fleet? Only way to find out is to open it up!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Zil posted:

I think I have sent maybe 3 high-priority emails ever (I'm 35, been working white-collar jobs since I was 22). I send low-priority emails all the loving time, frequently to people who I know have left for the day or are on vacation, but I don't want to forget to ask them about something.

Honestly, I wish Outlook would get rid of "high priority," and only have "normal" and "low." Generally speaking, high priority emails go to the end of the loving line for me; I loving hate that poo poo.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I have an outlook rule that just removes the high priority flag from incoming emails.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Collateral Damage posted:

I have an outlook rule that just removes the high priority flag from incoming emails.

Same and I think I got the idea from this thread. It is spreading through our group like wildfire.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

graduate to god tier and set the filter to delete the emails

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The absolute worst is read receipts. That poo poo just pisses me off.

So obviously I have them turned off globally.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

spankmeister posted:

Perfection.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Who doesn't turn off read receipts the first thing they do?

Also iirc Outlook is the only email client that doesn't ignore read receipt requests by default.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

spankmeister posted:

Does iOS still automatically and silently send read receipts? I migrated to Android a while ago but that sure pissed me off when I had one.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

spankmeister posted:

Manually ticking off "No" to not confirm the receipt gives quite the adrenaline rush.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

spankmeister posted:

I also ignore requests to reply 'letting someone know I've read the email' unless I feel like it (I never feel like it). I've had managers try to use that as a way to implement cowboy policies that they end up forgetting about after a couple weeks anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

I wish my users were savvy enough that this would even be a problem. Half of them are doing pretty well to even get into their email.

• Locked thread