Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

It was essentially a squash match with the hope spot being sold as Roman totally having Lesnar beaten until that dastardly Rollins cashed in.

Roman is largely a proficient wrestler with a few good strengths (such as his aforementioned sense of timing) that will put out decently rated matches that no one will ever remember for positive reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Oh Snapple! posted:

It was essentially a squash match with the hope spot being sold as Roman totally having Lesnar beaten until that dastardly Rollins cashed in.

Roman is largely a proficient wrestler with a few good strengths (such as his aforementioned sense of timing) that will put out decently rated matches that no one will ever remember for positive reasons.

At the time the story was both guys were dead and it was any man's to win and Rollins came out.

Now the story is Roman was absolutely definitely going to win despite having just eaten a 4th F5.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I guess Seth, Dean, HHH and Randy were just too bad for Lesnar to do his Bret/Coked-Out-Davey-Boy carry job on them.

I genuinely don't know if you're just a troll on this board half the time. Randy's match was bad because it was essentially a Shane/Brock angle disguised as a match with Brock being too stupid to bust someone open the hard way correctly. Dean wanted to do more in his match and Brock told him to gently caress off, slept-walked through the match and got his Wrestlemania paycheck. Seth and Triple H could have done better with what they had, but calling out Randy and Dean is just completely wrong.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I remember really liking Reigns/Lesnar at the time, but that's because Suplex City was still fresh. Now that I've got suplex fatigue from Lesnar, match might have aged poorly. The finishing sequence is still great, but think WWE edited it to take the Curb Stomp out which sours it a bit.

EDIT: Also, everyone forgets about the Punk/Lesnar match which was also really great.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Lesnar's best matches since his comeback were absolutely Cena (especially the XR match), Reigns, and the Summerslam/HIAC Taker matches. IDK if anything comes close to those, though the Goldberg matches were fun spectacles.

The HHH and Rollins matches were notoriously awful.

The Triple Threat with Cena and Rollins was real good too.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Vaguido posted:

I genuinely don't know if you're just a troll on this board half the time. Randy's match was bad because it was essentially a Shane/Brock angle disguised as a match with Brock being too stupid to bust someone open the hard way correctly. Dean wanted to do more in his match and Brock told him to gently caress off, slept-walked through the match and got his Wrestlemania paycheck. Seth and Triple H could have done better with what they had, but calling out Randy and Dean is just completely wrong.

The joke is more that Brock Lesnar is supposedly some kind of amazing carry-machine when he is in a match with Roman Reigns, and then an awful wrestler when facing Dean Ambrose (which, in fairness, he was that night). Seth Rollins' match was bad because Seth blows.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

roman wanted to do more than sell Brock as a monster fantastically but brock told him to eat my dust and then farted, after which he kept on laughing and describing the "rather big cloud of fart dust" surrounding the two of them over and over again

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

My dad cheered for Roman and my dad was abusive. Really makes you think

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The joke is more that Brock Lesnar is supposedly some kind of amazing carry-machine when he is in a match with Roman Reigns, and then an awful wrestler when facing Dean Ambrose (which, in fairness, he was that night). Seth Rollins' match was bad because Seth blows.

My issue is with the claim that "Roman had the only good singles match with Suplex City Lesnar". If we define Suplex City Lesnar as everything after Wrestlemania 30, one, that's not true, because it ignores two good Cena matches and two good Undertaker matches and frankly is a pretty egregious case of Always Bad-ing when Lesnar only got really insufferable in 2016 two, it's disingenuous because it's supposing that the match was good because of something Roman did that Brock's other opponents since late 2014 have all lacked, which just isn't true. Brock carried Roman to a good match at Wrestlemania 31 and then everything after that aside from the Undertaker matches was a combination of bad booking and in one case, Brock prioritizing UFC over WWE.

Like, pretending Roman/Lesnar was good because of Roman and Seth/Lesnar sucked because of Seth is just ridiculous.

Cavauro posted:

roman wanted to do more than sell Brock as a monster fantastically but brock told him to eat my dust and then farted, after which he kept on laughing and describing the "rather big cloud of fart dust" surrounding the two of them over and over again

I'm the Big Cloud of Fart Dust and this is my yard now.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jul 3, 2017

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I assume Brock calling his matches is him just whispering "suplexes" in your ear 95% of the match

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I may be new to wrestling, but I actually like Roman's whole character and I really hope that the Big Dog™ will finally have his day.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I remember really liking Reigns/Lesnar at the time, but that's because Suplex City was still fresh. Now that I've got suplex fatigue from Lesnar, match might have aged poorly. The finishing sequence is still great, but think WWE edited it to take the Curb Stomp out which sours it a bit.

EDIT: Also, everyone forgets about the Punk/Lesnar match which was also really great.

Was about to say that the Punk match was the best of the bunch.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Lesnar's best matches since his comeback were absolutely Cena (especially the XR match), Reigns, and the Summerslam/HIAC Taker matches. IDK if anything comes close to those, though the Goldberg matches were fun spectacles.

The HHH and Rollins matches were notoriously awful.

His best match since returning is Punk and it's not even close.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dimebags Brain posted:

The Cena ER rules match is better but I forgot the Punk one.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Dimebags Brain posted:

Yeah but trying to remember Punk just makes everyone sad, like the one you dated who got away :smith:

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

The Cena Extreme Rules match is like everything I love about wrestling. That match was so loving awesome.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

nah

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I haven't seen the Punk one but the Cena ER match is awesome and I don't even mind Cena RAPADOOing at the end because it bookends SummerSlam '14 perfectly.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Punk/Lesnar is my favorite WWE match since I started watching wrestling again in 2011. Cena/Lesnar is great and all but that loving Summerslam match is a thing of beauty

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

They always make Roman spear people through the barricade because it's the only way he gets a positive reaction and it's really played out.

I really miss CM Punk. So what if he was sloppy? You were always gonna get something interesting, his charisma was off the charts and you never know what to expect. You always know how a Roman match is gonna go, bell to bell. Who the hell is he even facing this Sunday, Braun? Expect him to get beaten to death for the first 80% then he'll spear Braun into, let's say, a barricade, superman punch then struggle to power him into the ambulance (it's an ambulance match maybe? It is now)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Honestly I really want one more Cena/Lesnar match because as it is the story goes:
ER '12: Lesnar is dominant, but cocky. He plays around for too long, Cena gets the one punch he needs to win.
SS '14: Lesnar doesn't gently caress around, puts his boot up Cena's rear end, wins in dominant fashion.
NoC '14: Cena comes back with the Hustle, Loyalty and Respect, still gets his rear end whooped but almost manages to fight Lesnar evenly, Seth breaks it up.
RR '15: Lesnar pins Rollins, Cena isn't involved in the finish.

There's been no conclusion to that story and that's honestly kind of a huge shame. More to the point, they haven't had a match since Cena's renaissance and gently caress I wanna see PWG Cena vs. Lesnar.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Punk/Lesnar was pretty good, but it was also before Lesnar went full Suplex City, Bitch.

i miss cm punk sometimes i know we're supposed to be all "hah my ex sucked" but late at night i thing about his lovely elbow drop and i smile

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Dias posted:

Punk/Lesnar was pretty good, but it was also before Lesnar went full Suplex City, Bitch.

you say that like its a bad thing

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

she pinned a wwe hall of famer at wrestlemania so i'm putting this here

https://twitter.com/enews/status/881833251224129536

that sucks

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

you say that like its a bad thing

Oh, quite the opposite, it's just that people started this conversation by mentioning matches after that Cena squash.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The FIA has decided no further action for Seb Vettel of Scuderia Ferrari. Justice has prevailed.

Happy birthday SEB.

bow wow

Uncle Ulty
Dec 12, 2006

Represent.
So with all of this talk of Roman actually being good all this time, what would happen to his matches and workrate if he left WWE and went to RoH or NJPW for example?

Is he only 'good' in the context of WWE style? Would he crash and burn if he had to adapt to a different style? Or would he suddenly become 8* Reigns while fighting Okada in a future WK main event?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Uncle Ulty posted:

So with all of this talk of Roman actually being good all this time, what would happen to his matches and workrate if he left WWE and went to RoH or NJPW for example?

Is he only 'good' in the context of WWE style? Would he crash and burn if he had to adapt to a different style? Or would he suddenly become 8* Reigns while fighting Okada in a future WK main event?

i dont know how roh tv is but njpw put more enfasis in the ring work so i dont know how well or bad Roman would do there. I think he gets gassed?

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

DoctorGonzo posted:

i dont know how roh tv is but njpw put more enfasis in the ring work so i dont know how well or bad Roman would do there. I think he gets gassed?

Hell, more emphasis on ring work would favor him

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Uncle Ulty posted:

Roman would join the Bullet Club and be the top heel in Japan (and thus a massive star if he ever showed up in ROH) approximately half a second after leaving WWE, and his matches would probably be largely better as he'd be working with mostly smaller people than he is now, making him look much more impressive.

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 3, 2017

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Uncle Ulty posted:

I believe going to Japan and working some time as the low guy on the totem pole could do wonders for his ability to tell in ring stories and make him capable of using his body language better.

(I personally do not feel his current body language is anything to write home about since it came up earlier)

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Roman needs to go to DDT wrestling and beat guys in baseball stadiums where it's owner "Donald Trump" books matches involving putting firecrackers in ones rear end in a top hat. Roman also needs to job to a nine year old girl and make it a five star match.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Roman needs to go to formula 1 and replace that loving Roman Grosjean. He would fit in american Team Haas.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

When was the last time Roman even wrestled somebody who isn't a top star? Must be nice to grab that brass ring and be forced to work with very good wrestlers your whole career.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

DoctorGonzo posted:

Roman needs to go to formula 1 and replace that loving Roman Grosjean. He would fit in american Team Haas.

He needs to go to Honda and teach them how to build engines. He can't make things any worse than what they've got.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Invalid Validation posted:

When was the last time Roman even wrestled somebody who isn't a top star? Must be nice to grab that brass ring and be forced to work with very good wrestlers your whole career.

Braun Strowman, who he's had an extremely fun feud with.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
If Romans gimmick was telling the audience he wanted to "show them something" and then he shot a bottle rocket out of his rear end I'd cheer him.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rare Magic card l00k posted:

He needs to go to Honda and teach them how to build engines. He can't make things any worse than what they've got.

Honda: The power of magic beans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Invalid Validation posted:

Braun. Surprise those matches sucked really loving bad.

• Locked thread