Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ShadowHawk posted:

It should be less likely for "interesting" hostiles, like relations of current colonists, people you've seen before, etc.

Especially since relations cause negative moodlets when they die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Re: "oops you died!" chance, there is a compromise (25% instead of zero or 67%)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=944004370

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Especially since relations cause negative moodlets when they die.

That's a feature.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yes, but their deaths being unavoidable is not, necessarily.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I actually think that's good, because otherwise you'd end up with everyone you wanted friendly, forever friendly.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

We're talking about hostile relatives of your colonists that come in raids.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
They die and they die hard like the raider scum they are.

And Vas learns to live with his scumbag father's death or he dies too.

And then I make a jacket from his skin.

Rimworld.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I started a game with two humans and an elder thing. The two humans started a relationship and then not a day later she broke up with him and is now sleeping with the elder thing.

He's had 3 breaks so far because of negative 20 mood modifier and him being the one acquiring the grimoire.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Cup Runneth Over posted:

We're talking about hostile relatives of your colonists that come in raids.

Oh I misunderstood, but tbh I don't mind that either. Sorry Grandma, you don't have a lot of meat on ya but your skin is already pretty leathery

E: oh is that Elder Thing mod updated, holy poo poo

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
One thing I've noticed from screenshots that I found out in A16 is that you all should really be using stools with stockpiles atop them for your work stations. It's really especially good for kitchens. If a pawn is at a workstation, and there are the required goods for a task within one tile around them, then they won't pause the work order to gather things, they'll just craft it. It really speeds things up dramatically. (Just having stockpiles will introduce a pause as the pawn leaves the station, stands for a microsecond to grab what they need, and then goes back into it to craft.)

Also yay, Psychology, I can play the new version now!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Drunk in Space posted:

They die and they die hard like the raider scum they are.

And Vas learns to live with his scumbag father's death or he dies too.

And then I make a jacket from his skin.

Rimworld.
Harvey proves his dedication to my cult :commissar: after aunty, grandmama and a childhood friend tanner rolls up armed

Well, that's ONE way to proselytize

I separated my stove from my freezer to test how it'd work out. A separate butcher room does not work nearly well enough, IMO. There's too much walking to get the meat once butchered and the extra walking takes more time than the cold penalty used to. Possibly a butcher table in the kitchen would work, but then you'd have to haul all the meat to the freezer and back and so have the same problem. It might be possible to craft all the meat into meals just-in-time, but it won't handle overflows like beavers, rats, and raids. I'll need to do more testing, but you can see my current setup in the first pic. Possibly making a tiny, cramped room would work better.

Cthulhu and his limb-tentacle replacement is the best thing ever. It doesn't seem to replace peg legs though. Need to test removing the peg leg before joining the sacrifice session, I suspect that may do it. The tentacles and eyestalks seem to target the most damaged among the colonists and has been nothing but an absolute boon considering my colony is a shot-up mess.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jul 2, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I have gotten the Rain of Necronomicons before, I made a library of shelves to put them on :3:

And yes the Elder Thing mod is updated

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=882126182

I had never tried it before so uh,

:allbuttons:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Flesh Forge posted:

I have gotten the Rain of Necronomicons before, I made a library of shelves to put them on :3:

And yes the Elder Thing mod is updated

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=882126182

I had never tried it before so uh,

:allbuttons:

I love the idea of one of these just sitting around watching TV and smoking a joint before it's time to go mining enough that I might download that mod

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Yeaaaaahhhhhhhhhh um I'm gonna have to read a little bit about how you play these :confused:

e: "They don't wear clothes. The only object they can equip is a laser gun."

Yyyyyyyeeeaaaaaaaahhhh ok :thunk:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 2, 2017

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Looks like Psychology has integration with Prepare Carefully now

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Post the gooniest goon itt

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Last time I played with Psychology, all of my colonists ended up hating each other because talking about glitterworld fashion or poo poo like that would net them a -150 relationship bonus :psyduck:

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Whats the mod that lets you move around workbenches the same way as chairs?

VV Thanks

Spaseman fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 2, 2017

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Spaseman posted:

Whats the mod that lets you move around workbenches the same way as chairs?

Miniaturization

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Mister Adequate posted:

Post the gooniest goon itt

You're on

He's also Depressive, Staggeringly ugly, and has Creepy breathing.

Cup Runneth Over fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 2, 2017

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
any chance of psychology compatibility with pawns are capable? http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=949431734

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Cup Runneth Over posted:

You're on

He's also Depressive, Staggeringly ugly, and has Creepy breathing.

Seems pretty legit, I approve.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

That Elder Things mod is hilarious :cthulhu:

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Anyone know how to make painting supplies in the more joy items mod?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

There's a custom plant called Spectago that you harvest and process somewhere and that leaves paint. I think.

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
Are raids actually connected in any way to NPC settlements? If I beat back an enemy pirate raid and then quickly drop-pod into the settlement it came from, will it be a mostly-depopulated town of people still recovering from injuries or are raiders just spawned at the edge of your map and then disappear into the void?

Also the Prepare Carefully mod lets you do some overpowered poo poo in pretty unexpected ways. I replaced the starting pets with a small group of chickens and now have infinity food forever.

New Butt Order fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 3, 2017

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

New Butt Order posted:

Are raids actually connected in any way to NPC settlements? If I beat back an enemy pirate raid and then quickly drop-pod into the settlement it came from, will it be a mostly-depopulated town of people still recovering from injuries or are raiders just spawned at the edge of your map and then disappear into the void?

Also the Prepare Carefully mod lets you do some overpowered poo poo in pretty unexpected ways. I replaced the starting pets with a small group of chickens and now have infinity food forever.

Sounds like you prepared for your planet fall then, why handicap yourself unnecessarily?

I like doing the wealthy explorer route, starting with one dude who's jacked up on bionics and a couple robot helpers. There is no right or wrong way to play this game.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

New Butt Order posted:

Food is only really a challenge in the really cold ice sheet tiles, unless you turn the heat way up in world gen and go for some crazy >50C map that also never has a growing period. Even in Extreeeeeeeeeeeeme Desert you can still grow everything in gravel unless you have a really unlucky map layout on a Flat tile. If you're playing Tribal dudes it's practically impossible to get started in an unmodded game in a freezing ice sheet tile - even if you wall up a steam geyser you can't get anything to grow because there won't be any light and you have to blitz to electricity. Every other biome, desert, tundra etc isn't that big a deal even in the vanilla game, it's completely reasonable to live off hunting with just one guy and a pistol.

Unless of course you embark as tribals with one cannibal dude and he euths the other four and eats them through the winter while he frantically bangs rocks together at the research table. :unsmigghh:

re: your question about raid origins, it feels like it is (e.g. some sessions I get mostly tribals, some sessions I mostly get pirates etc) but I can't puzzle it out of the source code to know for sure :shrug:

New Butt Order
Jun 20, 2017
Food supply isn't the hardest problem to overcome for sure, but for Tribals (which is, for the record, the only start I play) it's usually at least a constant, pre-freezer low-level concern, since a bad raid or lucky predator can really put a crimp in the supply chain. The chickens are food that poops out more food (which if left unattended, turns into more food-pooping food) is like a Dwarf Fortress catsplosion. Over 50% of my crops at this point are chicken feed and in another generation or two of hens, I'm going to be producing chickens faster than I can butcher them. If a raider gets into my chicken coop, they stop being an enemy and instead become a convenient labor-saving device.

I was not prepared for this.

Edit: Gonna try it with Cobras next time.

New Butt Order fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 3, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
cobras are acceptable, but not a wholly impressive, chicken replacement. their maturity age is similar, but their gestation and egg cooldown time are both double that of chickens. they ostensibly make up for this by laying more eggs per clutch, but realistically it takes longer to build up an acceptable biomass of captured animals and they're more susceptible to food shortages. and on that note, cobras are carnivorous so unlike chickens where you can feed them dirt and they turn it into delicious food, cobras require meat in meat out. the ideal situation is you feed them raiders that you put on ice near their barn, so they'll let themselves in to chow down when they need. dead bugs also work. naturally, though, you can't just drop haygrass in the ground and have that be calories forever, so the entire setup is quite a bit more precarious.

they might have changed so they can't consume corpses though, i remember i pulled that trick back in like A15.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 3, 2017

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I started one game with a pair of mating wargs and it was great. They hunted and killed their own food, including raiders. Very efficient.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
god forbid anyone bonds with a warg though. those animals are absolutely going to get crippled and die horribly, it's a loving guarantee. the only question is how long it will take for it to happen.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Anybody have a preference of Basic Bridges vs Bridgello?

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Coolguye posted:

cobras are acceptable, but not a wholly impressive, chicken replacement. their maturity age is similar, but their gestation and egg cooldown time are both double that of chickens. they ostensibly make up for this by laying more eggs per clutch, but realistically it takes longer to build up an acceptable biomass of captured animals and they're more susceptible to food shortages. and on that note, cobras are carnivorous so unlike chickens where you can feed them dirt and they turn it into delicious food, cobras require meat in meat out. the ideal situation is you feed them raiders that you put on ice near their barn, so they'll let themselves in to chow down when they need. dead bugs also work. naturally, though, you can't just drop haygrass in the ground and have that be calories forever, so the entire setup is quite a bit more precarious.

they might have changed so they can't consume corpses though, i remember i pulled that trick back in like A15.

I do know Cobras eat their own corpses at least. While using the hospitality mod some dickhead left me 46 fertilized cobra eggs as a gift which then hatched inside my base. I thought that if I let them hatch I would have a ready made cobra army. But when they hatched they were neutral so I just ended up with 46 cobras trapped within my base. There were far too many of them and too few of my guys to comfortably try and hunt them all. So I just waited and let them starve to death. At which point the living would rush to the corpses and try to eat them. So I kind of ended up with a cobra battle royale in my base, and when it came down to the final 2 I just shot them.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

DurosKlav posted:

I do know Cobras eat their own corpses at least. While using the hospitality mod some dickhead left me 46 fertilized cobra eggs as a gift which then hatched inside my base. I thought that if I let them hatch I would have a ready made cobra army. But when they hatched they were neutral so I just ended up with 46 cobras trapped within my base. There were far too many of them and too few of my guys to comfortably try and hunt them all. So I just waited and let them starve to death. At which point the living would rush to the corpses and try to eat them. So I kind of ended up with a cobra battle royale in my base, and when it came down to the final 2 I just shot them.

You should have tamed them; then you'd have a pair of cobras, each with the STRENGTH of 23.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

New Butt Order posted:

From what I can tell no. Raids arrive no matter what, even if the nearest tribals or raiders are a few months trek away they still somehow manage to keep sending guys with no real sanity regarding how much food they'd use up or what a waste of time it would be even if they did manage to rob you.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

Can you destroy other towns if you travel to and kill everyone?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

DurosKlav posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, Rimworld.

Honestly, you should have tamed the last 2.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Salean posted:

Can you destroy other towns if you travel to and kill everyone?

Last time I did that it became an abandoned base, so kind of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Volmarias posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, Rimworld.

Honestly, you should have tamed the last 2.

Has there been a breeding mod with hereditary genetics?