Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I romanced Jaheira last time, but then she died during the final romance-related quest and I failed to resurrect her in time. RIP what we had, even though you were kind of annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
rhaella writes good bg2 npc mods. I'm not sure I can say that about anyone else. http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/1007-adrian/

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vichan posted:

Are there any worthwhile NPC mods with a romance option for female characters?

Sarah is the only one that comes to mind.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Vichan posted:

Going through the entire Baldur's Gate saga as a female character for the first time but the thought of romancing Anomen makes me queasy. Are there any worthwhile NPC mods with a romance option for female characters?

G3 Tweak Pack has an option to remove restrictions on romances if you want to romance one of the vanilla NPCs.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

The Edwin romance mod is pretty funny from what I recall.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm spending the work day listening to the IWD soundtrack and it's real good. I like it better than any of the music I've heard from BG. I'm getting even more excited to play it after BG!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I recommend playing BG II first to get a good feel for the combat at higher levels. Icewind Dale doesn't gently caress around.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm doing BG > SOD > BG2.

How high do you level through IWD?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You start out at level 1, and the level cap is apparently 30 per character (including multi-classed ones who are able to go all the way up to 30/30). However, playing normally without grinding or selecting Heart of Fury, most of your party members will probably end up at around level 20 or less.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 3, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I don't think IWD has 9th level spells or HLA's (though the EE might change at least the latter)

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
IWD:EE doesn't have HLAs but does have level 9 spells. They've implemented pretty much all of the spells from BG2 as well, so you've got stuff like project image, mislead, timestop, wish etc ....

Not sure about scroll placement though

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It does indeed have 9th-level spells, here's a screenshot from my mage right now:

However, I'm about to start the endgame and she still can't cast any of them, being only level 16.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cythereal posted:

Sarah is the only one that comes to mind.

I have never gone that far with the Kelsey romance, is there some weird stuff buried there?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Phlegmish posted:

It does indeed have 9th-level spells, here's a screenshot from my mage right now:

However, I'm about to start the endgame and she still can't cast any of them, being only level 16.

What's your average level?

Edit: Never mind, either I can't read or you stealth edited that, probably I can't read

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rappaport posted:

I have never gone that far with the Kelsey romance, is there some weird stuff buried there?

Not really, although he can be a little pushy and suffers from a lack of character flaws. His NPC-NPC romance with Imoen is also annoying to many, as the mod can't stop telling you how in love they are and how much sex they're having.

I wrote a mod NPC for BG2 and ToB with a romance for a female PC, and I'm appalled at the people who seriously liked his romance by its own merits. :v:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Undead Hunter: 16
Berserker: 17
Cleric/Ranger: 13/12
Bard: 21
Fighter/Thief: 12/15
Mage: 16

This is after completing Heart of Winter, including Luremaster.

e: what did you think my post said?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Wait, the Kelsey mod author also wrote the Imoen romance mod?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dillbag posted:

Wait, the Kelsey mod author also wrote the Imoen romance mod?

No. But if you have Kelsey and Imoen in the party and don't romance Kelsey (or are ineligible for it), they'll have a romance together.

There's a few mods like that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

Undead Hunter: 16
Berserker: 17
Cleric/Ranger: 13/12
Bard: 21
Fighter/Thief: 12/15
Mage: 16

This is after completing Heart of Winter, including Luremaster.

e: what did you think my post said?

I didn't realize you listed the mage's level.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So I started a playthrough of Baldur's Gate II: EE

I rolled an Inquisitor so that I could use The Holy Avenger and Viconia without worrying about Keldorn and Viconia getting into a fight.
I do Firkraag's dungeon to get my sword.
And the cloudkill trick doesn't work anymore.
Went through that lame-rear end dungeon for nothing. They couldn't fix the pathing but fixed that right up didn't they?
I hate fighting Dragons.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

ChrisBTY posted:

So I started a playthrough of Baldur's Gate II: EE

I rolled an Inquisitor so that I could use The Holy Avenger and Viconia without worrying about Keldorn and Viconia getting into a fight.
I do Firkraag's dungeon to get my sword.
And the cloudkill trick doesn't work anymore.
Went through that lame-rear end dungeon for nothing. They couldn't fix the pathing but fixed that right up didn't they?
I hate fighting Dragons.

What about gimping him with spike traps?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Polymorph and savescum.

the fart question
Mar 21, 2007

College Slice

Smashing Link posted:

What about gimping him with spike traps?

I think he aggros now if you start laying traps. One of the dragons definitely does that

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

I beat BG2/Throne of Bhaal, after 15 years of owning this game I finally beat it. Yey.

Kensai Mage was fun.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Should I be casting Chant before or after combat begins? My initial understanding was it casts a spell that affects every unit in the AOE, similar to Bless, but after a short exchange on Reddit I'm left wondering if that's how it works or if its an aura of sorts that affects units as they enter and exit the aura.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Wildtortilla posted:

Should I be casting Chant before or after combat begins? My initial understanding was it casts a spell that affects every unit in the AOE, similar to Bless, but after a short exchange on Reddit I'm left wondering if that's how it works or if its an aura of sorts that affects units as they enter and exit the aura.

Chant is an AoE that takes effect immediately upon casting, it's not an aura. You are correct, it works like Bless.

If you want to use Chant offensively, you want to cast it during combat, it will not affect enemies who move near the priest after it's already been cast. Realistically, I'm not sure Chant's debuff is worth it - the casting time is very long and it's not a strong effect, especially compared to Hold Person, Silence, or Charm Person, which are much better debuffs that are also 2nd level priest spells.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

If you cast Chant, you want to make sure it's the last buff your cleric casts. He won't be able to cast other spells while chanting. That's the case in IWD, at least.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Phlegmish posted:

If you cast Chant, you want to make sure it's the last buff your cleric casts. He won't be able to cast other spells while chanting. That's the case in IWD, at least.

It doesn't have that downside in Baldur's Gate.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I haven't successfully cast Chant yet because my F/C always gets smacked and the casting fails. Would it be possible to cast sanctuary immediately before an encounter and cast Chant while Sanctuary is protecting my dwarf?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

I haven't successfully cast Chant yet because my F/C always gets smacked and the casting fails. Would it be possible to cast sanctuary immediately before an encounter and cast Chant while Sanctuary is protecting my dwarf?

It should work since you aren't targeting anyone else and the example in the description mentions bless, which is a similar spell. At worst I would assume Sanctuary would at least keep you safe until you finished cast Chant and it hit enemy bad guys.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

try microing your units and put your cleric in the back line for a few seconds

e: another place where M/C comes in handy, thanks stoneskin

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

try microing your units and put your cleric in the back line for a few seconds

e: another place where M/C comes in handy, thanks stoneskin

Micro, what is this?! StarCraft?! Jk it's my own fault. I never think about using chant until it's too late.

On the subject of micro I love using Coran with haste boots. Run him in stealthed before the fight starts. Back stab the mage immediately. Run away to the nearest shadow out of enemy line of sight. Stealth again. Run back and chunk another enemy.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 6, 2017

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Wildtortilla posted:

Sanctuary is a great spell to cast for buffing and healing. The problem is the AI frequently breaks it by auto attacking so if you are going to use it alot you have to really micromanage.

Wildtortilla posted:

Micro, what is this?! StarCraft?! Jk it's my own fault. I never think about using chant until it's too late.

On the subject of micro I love using Coran with haste boots. Run him in stealthed before the fight starts. Back stab the mage immediately. Run away to the nearest shadow out of enemy line of sight. Stealth again. Run back and chunk another enemy.

You should try a H-ogre fighter/thief or cleric/thief someday with 19str out the gate, fun as heck.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Is there an AI script that won't do astoundingly stupid things like attack charmed party members?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Suspicious posted:

Is there an AI script that won't do astoundingly stupid things like attack charmed party members?

Nope, if a fight is that crazy I usually turn on pause every round and micromanage the whole fight.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Washout posted:

Sanctuary is a great spell to cast for buffing and healing. The problem is the AI frequently breaks it by auto attacking so if you are going to use it alot you have to really micromanage.

You should try a H-ogre fighter/thief or cleric/thief someday with 19str out the gate, fun as heck.

Half ogre? Do you mean half orc? I was thinking of doing a HO F/T in IWD when I get around to that.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Wildtortilla posted:

Half ogre? Do you mean half orc? I was thinking of doing a HO F/T in IWD when I get around to that.

Yeah sorry the last DND game I played was dark sun.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Are T/M multicast viable?

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

The trite (but completely true) answer is that every class is viable.

A mage/thief, either dual-classed or multi, is going to be a very strong character though. Personally I'd recommend dual classing for more mage power in the long run, but if you want to make use of the entire thief toolkit rather than just being the unlock/disarm monkey then multiclassing is for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Wildtortilla posted:

Are T/M multicast viable?

If you find Coran with speed boots hilarious, imagine what a thief with access to the illusion school of spells can do :allears: In BG2, at least.