Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

angel opportunity posted:

Splatoon 2 looks pretty cool to me, but I've never played Splatoon. I'm worried that I won't like how it controls and will be annoyed I bought it (missed the test fires).

im terrible at shooters not named star wars battlefront 2 (ps2 version) but splatoon had a fairly easy control scheme, the gyro thing was trippy but not so hard to get used too. i played it all of once tho, so grains of salt and all that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

When I'd explain the concept of the WiiU to someone (which was fairly often), the next question was often "oh its a tablet, so you can take it anywhere?"

It was a good console but the entire concept of it was slightly confusing, it feels like the Switch is what the WiiU should've been.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I'm in the boat of hating console/controller-based shooters, but I think Splatoon made good design decisions to overcome the inherent limits of the scheme. Having the main focus be just hosing poo poo down with paint means you contribute without necessarily getting a high KDR, and in general it felt like engagements were more about taking advantage of your territory and being position-oriented instead of accurate snap shooting. A lot of people get all hyperbolic about how amazing the tilt controls were, but again as someone who hates console shooters I really didn't like gyro either and was perfectly content using nothing but the sticks. The way they chose to do everything blends together very well to make something enjoyable.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The best thing to come out from the Wii U was that Nintendo realized that people wanted a portable gaming tablet that could also be connected to the TV. And now we have the Switch!

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Yeah I don't think it was the gamepad that sunk third-party support on the poorly-selling console with very bad middleware support

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Non-Nintendo fanboy view of the Wii U: "Oh so it's a Wii that can do HD output that has a bunch of ports of games I played on my 360/PS4/PC six months ago but now have a bunch of touchscreen gimmicks forced into the gameplay! gently caress that."

...and they weren't completely wrong, either. I liked my Wii U but when it comes down to it Nintendo reaaaaaaaly kinda screwed the pooch. Thankfully everything surrounding the Switch besides the left joycon issues and the fact that you can't easily buy one has been awesome and I can't wait to see where Nintendo goes from here.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Even the box art for the drat thing has the game pad hiding the console behind it.

I guess it is dumb marketing, since we know how it turned out, but who the hell is buying a new console because of how the console looks?

The controllers and games seem much, much more important.

The naming was the main issue that made people not know what the heck it was, along with not enough promotion

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Coolspaz posted:

I have a feeling I'm the only one who is excited for Splatoon 2

After the test fire and discovering how incredible split Joy-cons were, I'm really looking forward to it. I couldn't even get into Splatoon 1, but that was only due to the control options -- I loved everything else about the game.

angel opportunity posted:

Splatoon 2 looks pretty cool to me, but I've never played Splatoon. I'm worried that I won't like how it controls and will be annoyed I bought it (missed the test fires).

This was a critical problem with Splatoon 1 IMO, but they rectified it with the Switch. Now, you aren't tethered to a giant Wii U tablet if you want to use gyro controls. Now, you can use either the Pro controller or Joy-cons to use both analog aiming and gyro for fine tuning (or just one or the other.) It feels extra awesome with the split Joy-cons, gyro aiming with the right hand exclusively, instead of having to contort both hands anchored to a controller.

enojy fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 3, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Bloop posted:

I guess it is dumb marketing, since we know how it turned out, but who the hell is buying a new console because of how the console looks?

You'd be surprised.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Bloop posted:

The controller: a giant slab with a lovely resistive touchscreen and a three hour battery life

The games: warmed over ports

I waited a year to buy my Wii U until something I wanted came out for it (Wind Waker remake).

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

The Bloop posted:

The naming was the main issue that made people not know what the heck it was, along with not enough promotion

By not showing the console people thought it was just an add-on for their virtual bowling machine they had already gotten bored of years ago.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
^^ I know that, but if it was called "Ultra Nintendo, Nintendo's Newest Console gently caress YEAH" the picture wouldn't matter.

lelandjs posted:

The controller: a giant slab with a lovely resistive touchscreen and a three hour battery life

The games: warmed over ports

I waited a year to buy my Wii U until something I wanted came out for it (Wind Waker remake).

The controller: a comfortable, lightweight, ergonomic design with built-in second screen, and ample battery life (plus optional larger battery)

The games: a great lineup coming eventually (because it is a console launch)

There was really nothing wrong with WiiU beyond marketing, and the eventual game library, including BotW, proves that.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Team Cherry posted:

Physical Switch – Team Cherry is often asked whether a physical version of Hollow Knight is coming for Nintendo Switch. In fact, the question keeps filling up our inboxes! While we’re not able to announce anything, we can say we’ve been looking into it making this happen, and things are looking promising!

Quit playin' games with my heart!

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

The Bloop posted:

There was really nothing wrong with WiiU beyond marketing, and the eventual game library, including BotW, proves that.

I don't think that's true. I think if Nintendo is going to keep releasing consoles that are underpowered compared to their competitors and appeal to more than diehard Nintendo fans who'll buy anything, they have to offer something different that people actually want. The Switch does that. The Wii U didn't. It had underpowered hardware and nothing positive to offset that except for those who will buy every machine that plays Nintendo first party titles.

I can only offer myself as evidence, but after I bought the Wii despite its gimmick only to end up with it gathering dust for years, I was extremely skeptical of the Wii U, and they never sold me on it.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Bloop posted:

The controller: a comfortable, lightweight, ergonomic design
It's easily the least comfortable controller of the past two console generations.

The Bloop posted:

with built-in second screen, and ample battery life (plus optional larger battery)
Even with the larger battery it's still maybe 5 hours. I don't know about you, but I regularly had multiplayer gaming marathons with friends playing Smash, Mario Kart, and Nintendoland and the gamepad would need to be plugged in before the night was half over.

The Bloop posted:

The games: a great lineup coming eventually (because it is a console launch)
There's maybe... 15 titles worth owing, most of which were mildly iterative sequels (Smash 4, Mario Kart 8, Donkey Kong, Super Mario 3D World) or straight up remakes (WW). Meanwhile, the PS4 and Xbox One launched with even more compelling exclusives and mulitplat games on the horizon than the Wii U would ever get.... Okay, the PS4 did, at least.

The Bloop posted:

BotW is better on the Switch, and the Wii U's game library is being ported wholesale to the Switch.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jul 3, 2017

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Wii U was cool and I would hook it up but GOTY TMS#FE requires both screens and nope. Gimme that port, Nintendo, come on do it.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

lelandjs posted:

Meanwhile, the PS4 and Xbox One launched with even more compelling exclusives and mulitplat games on the horizon than the Wii U would ever get.... Okay, the PS4 did, at least.

Those compelling PS4 exclusive launch titles like Knack and Killzone

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

deadwing posted:

Those compelling PS4 exclusive launch titles like Knack and Killzone

Sorry, I should have clarified that there were more compelling exclusives in the pipeline for the PS4 (Uncharted 4, Bloodborne) when it launched than were announced for the Wii U at that point in time. Most of the actual console launch lineups have been garbage (besides the Switch).

[Edit: MGSV wasn't PS4 exclusive, duuuuuuh]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 3, 2017

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The PS4 didn't really take off for me until this year.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Basically all consoles are garbage and PC gaming is where it's at because they get all the best games

Except the Marios and Zeldas

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Captain Toad for life.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The PS4 sold as well as it did based on marketing. That's not a detriment against it, but that's the reason why.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

TFRazorsaw posted:

The PS4 sold as well as it did based on marketing. That's not a detriment against it, but that's the reason why.

That, and Microsoft spending the vast majority of 2013 pissing gamers off.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean, a good portion of their marketing was taking the piss out of Microsoft, so it kind of went hand in hand.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

For some reason I've always called the came "Splitoon" instead of SPLAToon. I think I'm broken.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Just went to the NYC Nintendo store and there was a lot of rage because customers would pick up the switch cases only to be told they were sold out.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Dugong posted:

Release a right green Reggie

I have a Pro controller and usually only play 2-player if Im doing Co op or multiplayer so I have no need for more controllers but god drat I really wanted the clown vomit neon switch and now that I have that, I want the pink and green alternate color scheme about as badly. I kinda liked the pink and blue, but didnt think I would like them as much as I do now that Ive seen them in person, I just liked them more than "boring old grey". I havent seen the neon yellow and dont really care too much about it but I feel like it probably looks nice (theyre still selling out everywhere and being scalped and resold), and these new colored ones are gonna get sold out everywhere day one--if they ever come stateside.

If Nintendo released tons of different color individual joycons they could have a real loving racket. I would have crazy anxiety over which color I wanted though because Im loving retarded.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Had a lot of downtime at appointments today so I played a bunch of Mario Kart and Arms online. This Switch console kinda owns.:)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Housh posted:

For some reason I've always called the came "Splitoon" instead of SPLAToon. I think I'm broken.

Should be pronounced Spluh-toon tbh

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

chaleski posted:

When I'd explain the concept of the WiiU to someone (which was fairly often), the next question was often "oh its a tablet, so you can take it anywhere?"

It was a good console but the entire concept of it was slightly confusing, it feels like the Switch is what the WiiU should've been.

I had a lot of friends see my Wii U and assume I could just take the gamepad on a plane. Every single one was shocked when I told them you couldn't.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Wii U launched with nintendoland and NSMBU. This was followed up by a dead zone of like 8 or 9 months before good games (like pikmin 3). And none of the third party ports were noticeably better, if at all, than they had been on PC/360/ps3.

Switch launched with Breath of the Wild. It was followed by monthly tentpole titles for the first year, including mario kart, new mario, new splatoon. And even if a port comes to switch running exactly like it does on any other system, the portability is automatically a huge selling point even if you already own a copy on PC or whatever.

And yes, having a better name, clearer purpose/utility, and stronger advertising campaign helps a lot too.

(don't get me wrong nsmbu and nintendoland were fun games, but they weren't system sellers)

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Imagined posted:

If someone doesn't say something about when Stardew Valley is coming or wtf is going on I'm going to post about it on the internet so hard. How can there be NO updates?

chucklefish is porting the game and handling the multiplayer, and they are incompetent game devs as it is. if it comes out at all it'll be on the Nintendo Swiitch.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
wait.. what the gently caress happened to pocket fighter?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

NSMBU is the second best selling Wii U game after MK8 so it kind of is

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

wait.. what the gently caress happened to pocket fighter?

It was in limbo long before it was announced for the Switch, the funny thing is that they announced a date at all.

I remember first seeing it years ago at this point.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

TFRazorsaw posted:

I mean, a good portion of their marketing was taking the piss out of Microsoft, so it kind of went hand in hand.

It is insane how Microsoft handed Sony the generation on a silver platter with a garnish. Sony won the second they were able to do that short "how to share games on the PS4" video during E3 on the fly, with Shu handing a disc to Adam, before Microsoft had a chance to course correct. Then during the actual Sony conference, they were just so casually like "oh yeah also it's only $399." The slide even looked like it had been made in 30 seconds, like Sony had called an audible after hearing $499 from Microsoft.

Either way, after citizens united decided that corporations are basically people, Sony should be in prison because we saw a murder live on stage during E3 2013.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm kind of sour on giving Sony credit for that, but it was smart at least. They were just fully ready to pull the same poo poo themselves until they saw the backlash.

Sony has its own share of anti-consumer policies that have cropped up in the years since so, ha ha, always remember these are corporations, not your friends.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
The Wii U was good and so is the Switch

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I don't think there's any evidence to suggest Sony was going to do the whole "always online, no used games, forced camera/microphone in your house" thing that MS was planning. As far as anti-consumer stuff goes, I think my biggest beef is the price raise in PS+. Otherwise things seem fine as is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Morby posted:

I don't think there's any evidence to suggest Sony was going to do the whole "always online, no used games, forced camera/microphone in your house" thing that MS was planning. As far as anti-consumer stuff goes, I think my biggest beef is the price raise in PS+. Otherwise things seem fine as is.

Shuuhei Yoshida himself said they changed their policy at the last minute.

• Locked thread