Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Parallax posted:

they've got a bunch of talented animators doing their first directorial work on it so maybe that part will be interesting even if everything else is stupid

(it would have been cooler if they had gotten a different band to do all the music for it)
Little Witch Academia and Mob Psycho proved that new animators are off their loving rocker. Also that Yoh Yoshinari (and his older brother, Koh) are still incredibly talented human beings. You can say that LWA has its share of flaws, but drat if it's not rad looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Parallax posted:

they've got a bunch of talented animators doing their first directorial work on it so maybe that part will be interesting even if everything else is stupid

(it would have been cooler if they had gotten a different band to do all the music for it)

i agree, with this

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
buncha wrong opinions about the pillows itt

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Now I'm wondering if there was another, unrelated show called Knights and Magic before this season's Knight's and Magic.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I thought that FLCL 2 trailer looked kinda boring.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
FLCL 2 trailer looks cool. I am now less scared of it being bad. The Pillows make nice music and it makes for a nice soundtrack.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Fangz posted:

I thought that FLCL 2 trailer looked kinda boring.
I don't think the first series would come off much better from a rapid-fire series of contextless 2-second clips. Part of what made the original work is the way it carried you along in its own rhythm. Hard to capture that in an ad. TBH I'm just glad they're still giving new animators a chance to completely cut loose.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Everything Burrito posted:

buncha wrong opinions about the pillows itt

i like the pillows but change is good

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Rangpur posted:

I don't think the first series would come off much better from a rapid-fire series of contextless 2-second clips. Part of what made the original work is the way it carried you along in its own rhythm. Hard to capture that in an ad. TBH I'm just glad they're still giving new animators a chance to completely cut loose.

Oh yeah?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tYLzFxoW2Y

I dunno man, I was hoping for something that establishes the new crew's action bonafides, and shows some ostentatious aesthetics. I know the new trailer is just a teaser but so far it just looks like Yet Another 7/10 Anime.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im glad we've moved into giving shows mal scores based off 30 second pvs

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

by this time next year we'll be giving shows mal ratings based solely on their titles, and then by 2020 we should be able to rate them based just on their first letter

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The only difference between this and the complaining when Diebuster got announced is that no one has called it moeshit yet.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Fangz posted:

I know the new trailer is just a teaser but so far it just looks like Yet Another 7/10 Anime.

I mean, that'd still be better than initially expected for me

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

The only difference between this and the complaining when Diebuster got announced is that no one has called it moeshit yet.

You can be the first.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

F is a solid, sturdy letter. Many good words begin with it, such as Fruit, gently caress, Fan, Filling, and Fire. In anime terms, it has given us Fullmetal Alchemist, the fire emblem anime, Free!, Full Metal Panic, Fruits Basket, and of course, the Fate series. Based on this pedigree, I am giving FLCL 2 a solid 8.17/10

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
well you see i only watched fooly cooly once ten years ago and i have no interest in watching the sequels. anyway here's why im mad they're being made

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Yeah I saw that tweet too

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah that's my friend, i probably shoulda just linked it, but oh well, im owned

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fangz posted:

Oh yeah?

Yeah, it is a lot easier to make a good 2 minute trailer when the show is already complete than to make a 30 second teaser early in production. That's not really demonstrated by the trailer you posted, which was bad, but it's still true

Endorph posted:

F is a solid, sturdy letter. Many good words begin with it, such as Fruit, gently caress, Fan, Filling, and Fire. In anime terms, it has given us Fullmetal Alchemist, the fire emblem anime, Free!, Full Metal Panic, Fruits Basket, and of course, the Fate series. Based on this pedigree, I am giving FLCL 2 a solid 8.17/10

I can't really argue with that

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I don't know how people are drawing any conclusions about the show from that trailer, except whether or not they like the character designs (And I do like myself some Axent Wear Cat Ear Headphones)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Little Witch Academia and Mob Psycho proved that new animators are off their loving rocker. Also that Yoh Yoshinari (and his older brother, Koh) are still incredibly talented human beings. You can say that LWA has its share of flaws, but drat if it's not rad looking.

is there really any relation between the two shows and FLCL2&3? neither Yoshinari brother is attached and you've only got two dudes who did some KA on the Mob OP/one ep. seems kind of a weird/misrepresentative tangent.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Moltrey posted:

well you see i only watched fooly cooly once ten years ago and i have no interest in watching the sequels. anyway here's why im mad they're being made

They're right

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Reason #1: Adult Swim should have made The Big O Season 3 instead

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
A friend texted me after watching Kakegurui's 1st Episode.

"Did the black-haired one seriously just have an O-face over gambling"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Big O and FLCL both had satisfactory endings. Adult Swim should've made Candidate for Goddess Season 2

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Wark Say posted:

A friend texted me after watching Kakegurui's 1st Episode.

"Did the black-haired one seriously just have an O-face over gambling"

Also the intended audience reaction!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

GorfZaplen posted:

They're right
you don't understand FLCL was a philosophical and conceptual show, the imagery and metaphor were completely inscrutable, it was not at all about a sad boy who just wants to cum

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

adult swim should have made chihayafuru season 3

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Moltrey posted:

you don't understand FLCL was a philosophical and conceptual show, the imagery and metaphor were completely inscrutable, it was not at all about a sad boy who just wants to cum

it's both

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Moltrey posted:

To be fair, it got deeply philosophical about his need to cum. Also possibly have a normal, healthy relationship with a girl, maybe.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Adult Swim should have made a new season of Chihayafuru.

Also I want to hurt myself for thinking battle girl high school could ever possibly maybe be okay.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

adult swim should've made a new season of xavier renegade angel

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

adult swim should've made season 2 of mushiuta

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-26HSUALSI

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

dogsicle posted:

is there really any relation between the two shows and FLCL2&3? neither Yoshinari brother is attached and you've only got two dudes who did some KA on the Mob OP/one ep. seems kind of a weird/misrepresentative tangent.
Didn't a goon mention a couple of posts ago that the FLCL sequel is going to have a buncha young animators working on it? Because that was my whole connection.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Parallax posted:

it's both

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

isekai shokudou is pro modern slavery and thus i strongly suggest avoiding it if you as a person have any morals at all

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Davincie posted:

isekai shokudou is pro modern slavery and thus i strongly suggest avoiding it if you as a person have any morals at all

The isekai genre keeps getting worse. The apparent increase of late in stuff that involves slavery is a bit worrying.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Davincie posted:

that seems like a slightly overwrought description of waiting tables

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i wasn't familiar with that one, since the whole "otherworlders screech and moan like orgasmic chimps in response to japanese food" thing never appealed to me. the dorks writing those wn's really don't quite understand that different cultures and nationalities have varying palates, so no person has ever been waiting their whole lives for some lovely instant curry.

• Locked thread