Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

ssmagus posted:

Can we call in the Queen to fire all these chucklefucks in parliament?

She still can right?

They'd just be replaced with more chucklefucks. It's chucklefucks all the way down. Australia has the parliament it deserves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

G-Spot Run posted:

The governor general has that power on her behalf but I think that delegation of duty means she doesn't have the right to do it herself anymore. Could be wrong but I think she's all figurehead at this point

Money for jam I think is the term these days.

^ Also that

Lord Humongous / Immortan Joe are our only hope & future.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Zenithe posted:

Yes. It's not that they are getting rid of casuals because staff cuts, it's actually worse than that. A lot of stores recently stopped being open 24 hours, and now close between midnight and 5AM. Because of this, everyone who was doing graveyard shifts was out of a job. This is of course a problem if they are full or part time, as they are required to be given hours. The "solution" was to fire casuals and shuffle in people they grudgingly have to give work to.

Our place was lucky enough to remain never close, and we have seven staff who man the store.

I'm curious, how much shopping actually does get done in a Coles at like 3am? Because I can't imagine it's a massive amount, or exactly what sort of shoppers you'd get.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Is there a list of companies joining the PaTH to Slavery so I can try and avoid them?

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

ssmagus posted:

Can we call in the Queen to fire all these chucklefucks in parliament?

She still can right?

Reminder that Australia is proudly, aggressively mediocre from top to bottom, so there's no alternative.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
Osman sums up the 'intern' bullshit nicely in this clip

https://twitter.com/ABCthedrum/status/881792786634129408

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Cleretic posted:

I'm curious, how much shopping actually does get done in a Coles at like 3am? Because I can't imagine it's a massive amount, or exactly what sort of shoppers you'd get.
https://www.colesexpress.com.au/

It's their service station arm. So petrol sniffers and late night munchies.

Cartoon fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jul 3, 2017

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.
https://twitter.com/BriggsGE/status/881842103285825537

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

how did we even manage to do this

we apparently have a tax on gas exports, did we forget to set it at a percentage higher than 0 or what

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Looks like Katter is black after all

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Cleretic posted:

Weekdays you get shift workers starting and finishing, and the register usually takes ~100 customers. Weekends it's boring as gently caress and you get drunks and weirdos.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
How much do you have to gently caress up for Dutton not to bury any allegations?
https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/jul/03/australian-border-force-chief-roman-quaedvlieg-on-leave-amid-investigation

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bogan King posted:

Osman sums up the 'intern' bullshit nicely in this clip

https://twitter.com/ABCthedrum/status/881792786634129408

Burger King & McDonalds staffed by one manager and 5 barely paid slave labor interns coming soon to an area near you.

All their existing staff are going to get the flick pretty hard once the interns are on board.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Zenithe posted:

Yes. It's not that they are getting rid of casuals because staff cuts, it's actually worse than that. A lot of stores recently stopped being open 24 hours, and now close between midnight and 5AM. Because of this, everyone who was doing graveyard shifts was out of a job. This is of course a problem if they are full or part time, as they are required to be given hours. The "solution" was to fire casuals and shuffle in people they grudgingly have to give work to.

Our place was lucky enough to remain never close, and we have seven staff who man the store.

See, it's still insane to me that a store can even be expected to function being open 24/7 with just seven staff.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Don't worry once the $4/hour interns are onboard they can work the graveyard shifts. It's win-win!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Yeah but also international students getting paid squat on visa scams will now also have to put up with this poo poo if they ever make it to permanent residency and go straight to Newstart and into an unpaid internship Lmao.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Seems pretty full-on.

Maybe he accidentally tortured and killed a white man or something.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Capitalism is a game of snakes and ladders except all the ladders were taken away and sold by Baby Boomers and we are all called lazy for not attempting to climb the snakes.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

The Medicare machine: patient details of 'any Australian' for sale on darknet [Guardian]

Big data baby. Big data all over your face. :toot:

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheCalebBond/status/881820298701438976

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

loving hell guys. Just watching this poo poo from afar is just utterly depressing. How the gently caress did we even get to the point where people will get forced by the government into working for four loving dollars an hour. :suicide: :negative:

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

The country is just so white. [NY Times]

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Xerxes17 posted:

loving hell guys. Just watching this poo poo from afar is just utterly depressing. How the gently caress did we even get to the point where people will get forced by the government into working for four loving dollars an hour. :suicide: :negative:

We won't. Bill Shorten is going to save us. Bill Shorten is our only hope now.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

Bill Shorten: Make sure women get paid $4 an hour too.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

JBP posted:

We won't. Bill Shorten is going to save us. Bill Shorten is our only hope now.

Has Billy actually commented on this poo poo yet? I'm yet to read an article quoting him on it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

Has Billy actually commented on this poo poo yet? I'm yet to read an article quoting him on it.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

snoremac posted:

Job agency update: Gave them a medical certificate last week excusing me from my appointment today. Just received a message from them saying my Newstart has been suspended for missing the appointment and to call them immediately. Rang them and was told to call back tomorrow because they've locked the filing cabinets and are about to go home.

Resolved. It was "human error", they failed to notice the comment in my file exempting me from the appointment and then cut off my welfare without informing me by mistake! Admittedly, their 4th receptionist in the 10 months I've been with them just quit on the spot, presumably because the receptionists don't realize what soul-crushing duties they have to carry out?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/canberra-liberals-probe-union-recruitment-in-school-20170630-gx1wko.html
The ACT Opposition has accused the ACT government of allowing unions to "recruit" in public schools by letting them to brief work experience students on their rights in the workplace.

Liberal politician Andrew Wall said the presence of unions in schools could be seen as "inappropriate" and as "having a political motivation given the ideological ties that bind the ALP and the union movement".

In budget estimates on Friday, Mr Wall alleged a parent had voiced concerns to him about union members encouraging year 10 students at Campbell High "at length" to join the union.

"It has been suggested to me that unions have had access to ACT public schools on a regular basis, even going so far as to hand out membership forms and other propaganda material on some occasions," Mr Wall said in a later statement.

However education minister Yvette Berry dismissed the notion unions had been running "recruitment" in schools.

In a statement to the Canberra Times, she extended an invitation to Mr Wall to come along to a session to see for himself.

"There are a number of ways in which schools support students in understanding their workplace rights and responsibilities. Schools put considerable effort into ensuring students are well prepared for work experience and this flows onto to their paid work," Ms Berry said.

"There are lots of organisations that contribute to informing our students about life after school, including WHS and White Card awareness, learning pathways, construction safety etc."

Asked about the recruitment claims, education deputy director-general Meg Brighton said she would not expect it to happen in schools.

"As young people enter the work place and understand their rights they'll make those decisions themselves,' Ms Brighton said.

It is understood union membership forms were only provided to students if the student requested one.

Unions ACT secretary Alex White said the Liberal party needed to "calm down" about their "hatred" towards the union movement.

"Mr Wall is very sad if he thinks unions talking to school students about work safety rights is a problem," Mr White said.

Unions ACT employs one staff member to brief school students on workplace rights and safety. The program is free with all material provided to school and Education Directorate beforehand.

This particular program has been running since the start of the year and was sparked by a school-based apprentice breaking his back on a construction site last year.

However union officials have been briefing school students on workplace issues for at least a decade.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anidav posted:

It's brand new policy he will need at least four days to construct a response.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

As if he needs 4 days to say that's bullshit

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anidav posted:

As if he needs 4 days to say that's bullshit

Is this satire?

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I just wanted to thank this thread for bringing the Turnbull cat story to my attention. I'd never heard it before and thought it was bizarre enough to share on the podcast my friends and I do about Australian politics ("Continuity and Change" on iTunes).

It would be interesting to think about whether the implied freedom of political communication offers more freedom to discuss the allegations than existed previously.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Bolt lasted less than a day after saying he wouldn't comment on a trial in progress before a stream of pro-Pell columns and blog posts spilled out.

I'm actually surprised he's not gone into self-preservation mode now, which I assumed was his original intention.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Over/Under on Bolt being a nonce himself?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
So do you think we're finally there? Is the industrial environment in TYOOL 2017 finally worse than Work Choices?

We have a commission working to remove penalty rates, and pending the trial beginning today, possibly allowing termination of enterprise bargaining agreements on request, once the employer decides it doesn't want to pay the negotiated rates anymore.

I was in my early 20s during the latter Howard years, and as such I was getting hosed by default; but I definitely feel like the atmosphere of absolute hopelessness that I remember from that time is creeping back in.

How the gently caress do we as a people do this to ourselves? Okay I get that the boomers are looking after themselves because that's what they loving do, but I want to grab every millennial and gen Xer that didn't vote in 2016 by the collar and stuff a whole edition of Red Flag down their throats.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Well I mean 4 dollar an hour internships instantly conflicts with unionist and ALP principles and the unions have given a response instantly but the ALP needs a good week or two to read it over?

Doesn't this make the ALP kind of scummy because you know they haven't been as compassionate to the young unemployed and underemployed as they have towards penalty rates.

What exactly will Bill Shorten bring to the Centrelink system to make him our only hope anyway?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Over/Under on Bolt being a nonce himself?

Despite being a tremendous racist idiot, that's probably unfair on bolt.

Especially given his reaction after Pell's first testimony before his handlers yanked on the chain and he dutifully about faced.

EDIT: I miss Rudd/Gillard/Rudd. I'd take labor making GBS threads their pants any day over government mandated slave labor for the poor.

hooman fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 4, 2017

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Anidav posted:

Well I mean 4 dollar an hour internships instantly conflicts with unionist and ALP principles and the unions have given a response instantly but the ALP needs a good week or two to read it over?

Doesn't this make the ALP kind of scummy because you know they haven't been as compassionate to the young unemployed and underemployed as they have towards penalty rates.

What exactly will Bill Shorten bring to the Centrelink system to make him our only hope anyway?

I wanna say the ALP responded to this when it first came to light a while back

I mean don't assume we'd remember it if they did, as the typical Labor response to draconian cruelty is "hey stop that meanie *throws tissue paper*"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

IR sucks because of two things. The ALP softcock out every time they get their hands on the ability to meaningfully change IR and the LNP go loving whole hog once they have achieved a couple of terms and are looking down the barrel of potential defeat.

The second thing is that the LNP chip away at "small items" over the life of their government before delivering a great and final evil while in their death throes. The ALP always think they're delivering their big change off an election mandate, but instead create some piece of poo poo Frankenstein's monster that tries to keep big business happy and then gets abused and hosed with by the LNP until it is bad for workers.

• Locked thread