Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Weird. What side are you playing as? I find that whoever I'm whupping starts confederating real fast (like, every orc faction that can confederates into Greenskins by turn 70 or so if playing Dwarfs).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Every race except the Empire confederates pretty quickly once they're getting their poo poo wrecked in my SFO games. The fastest is the Wood Elves, but I suspect it's an entirely different script for them since they seem guaranteed to confederate with each other once the first Chaos wave arrives.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
If you kill the core factions or at least ensure they are hated/weak/not in contact with any of their minors you can hold off confederations.

puberty worked me over posted:

Why has this game been out for over a year and magic and artillery damage still doesn't scale to the unit size selection?

It's pretty clear at this point that CA doesn't give too much of a poo poo about people playing on unusual unit sizes (the option is kinda buried and it's weird to call it a 'graphics option') and assume those people will just use mods or whatever if they want more powerful magic.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Fangz posted:

If you kill the core factions or at least ensure they are hated/weak/not in contact with any of their minors you can hold off confederations.

It's pretty clear at this point that CA doesn't give too much of a poo poo about people playing on unusual unit sizes (the option is kinda buried and it's weird to call it a 'graphics option') and assume those people will just use mods or whatever if they want more powerful magic.

Isn't that, for whatever reason, coming in game 2?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It doesn't excuse the lack of balance in the game 1 of course, but with the High Elves and Lizardmen noted for being the strongest practitioners of magic in the setting, they certainly ought to be balanced in terms of possible game options.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Not that I've heard. They're overhauling magic a bit in general and doing the three skill point/spell thing in campaign but no changes to scaling other than the slight tweak to direct damage spells they did a while back.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Also, that reminds me, I hope the skaven Thirteenth spell is in the game and has cool animations.

For background, every tabletop lore had six spells (or seven, once signature spells became a thing, but mostly six).

Each race had access to some amount of lores, the eight generic ones and some race-specific ones like high magic, the greenskin spells, chaos stuff, necromancy, etc.

Skaven had two lores to choose from, both race-specific. One plague-themed and one-storm/crazy lightning weapon-themed, thus twelve spells.

Lord-level casters though got The Dreaded Thirteenth spell, which transmogrified your enemies into clanrats.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Magic as a whole is just a bunch of numbers laid out in a table per spell, or several tables but you get the point. No framework exists for scaling since spells aren't tied to the type or number of models like weapons are. To add modifiers they probably have to set up a variable scale on a per spell basis since each spell has several different variables and you can't really blanket change them and have it work well.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they just can't get that granular at all in this engine without a lot of work, given that we're 4-5 games deep on Warscape and units still can't hold 2 different melee weapons.

I wouldn't hold my breath hoping that comes in game 2.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 3, 2017

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Why has this game been out for over a year and magic and artillery damage still doesn't scale to the unit size selection?

Because CA are a bunch of hacks.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also, that reminds me, I hope the skaven Thirteenth spell is in the game and has cool animations.

For background, every tabletop lore had six spells (or seven, once signature spells became a thing, but mostly six).

Each race had access to some amount of lores, the eight generic ones and some race-specific ones like high magic, the greenskin spells, chaos stuff, necromancy, etc.

Skaven had two lores to choose from, both race-specific. One plague-themed and one-storm/crazy lightning weapon-themed, thus twelve spells.

Lord-level casters though got The Dreaded Thirteenth spell, which transmogrified your enemies into clanrats.

I can see it coming in as a bound-spell similar to Morghur's that turns enemies into Chaos Spawn.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
So after playing with the GCCM map pack for a week or so I'm gonna give my impression/review of it.

A good chunk of the maps I've tried have focused on scenery over gameplay and they don't even do the scenery very well.

Gameplay: most of the city maps are far too big, 20 minutes to run your army from the gate to the hill in the back the AI is camping big and all of the tight streets and giant buildings mean your constantly losing line of sight of the enemy, some of them are rather confusing in layout and the AI has some trouble figuring out how to best defend.
For the smaller settlements they are mostly okay, but some of them suffer from lack of any real defender advantage via the terrain, this is especially nasty because when you upgrade to walls in these settlements they keep the same unwalled indefensible map, I had to turn off the entire greenskin map pack because a half stack of rebels would quickly just siege a city like black crag or a random karak with upgraded garrison/walls and easily deal with the garrison in the open.

Scenery: Some maps are pretty nice looking, a good chunk focus on looks instead of how the map might play out or where people might fight, but some of them look nice and a small couple have even done scenery and gameplay well.
But a good chunk of these maps don't even look finished, some examples of what I'm seeing in many of these maps:

Floating objects.
Maps that are surrounded by featureless flat plains and rivers that just suddenly end in these flat plains.
Maps where the creator really liked the Sigmar statue, so he threw 50 golden ones everywhere.
Rocks and oceans that units just sorta clip into.
Textures that look unloaded and polygonal.

Maybe there are some massive limitations to the map creator or you need to be a hackerman guru to pull off some of the stuff other people are doing like walls and maps that aren't squares surrounded by featureless flat ground so I'm willing to give -some- benefit of the doubt, but a lot of them just feel like the creator gave up halfway through and rushed to get it on the workshop and map pack before someone else made a map for the settlement.
That said I'm still using it and there are still maps I haven't seen, I just feel like the creators could shrink some of the eyecandy maps to 20% of the playable space and they would be better and I feel like more of the maps could focus on what the gameplay of the map is going to be like.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
So, I bought most of this during the steam sale and im having fun. Right now im debating whether I should shell out the higher prices for the elf and beastmen DLCs.

Are those worth it? I'm not a warhammer nerd, so I dont need them. I might buy them if the new factions play sufficiently different from the other ones. Is that the case?

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Nektu posted:

So, I bought most of this during the steam sale and im having fun. Right now im debating whether I should shell out the higher prices for the elf and beastmen DLCs.

Are those worth it? I'm not a warhammer nerd, so I dont need them. I might buy them if the new factions play sufficiently different from the other ones. Is that the case?

Beastmen play rather different from the other factions. As your basically some kind of ninja horde thing going on.

Wood Elves... not so much.

Though you can get your crusade on and go north slaughtering all the Norse.

Blinks77 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 3, 2017

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

Nektu posted:

They are definitely worth it. They cost more because of the mini-campaigns they added for them.
The Beastmen and Wood elves are both solid additions with different playstyles to the regular game, especially in terms of their campaign style. Both require a bit more micro managing, as they favour skirmishing. Generally speaking both are fast but have little in the way of armour, so you'll want to hit hard and decisively instead of getting stuck in protracted melee.

Do you want to whittle down enemies with massed bow fire before routing the remnants with living trees? Play Wood Elves.
Do you want to run around the campaign map pillaging and sacking enemy settlements, then once brought to battle ordering a pack of minotaurs to charge headlong into enemy lines? Play Beastmen.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah. Beastmen are a really fun horde faction with an emphasis on a really aggressive style in battles (I will never get tired of watching Minotaur charges) and a strategic gameplay based on stealth until you get your hordes rolling into an unstoppable force from the midgame onwards. You essentially play as Chaos' guerrilla force, setting things up for the Storm of Chaos. The associated mini-campaign is a pretty poor show, however.

Wood Elves are an army of elites with really strong skirmishing component, probably the most micro-intensive force in the game. They only have four provinces (each with ten slots) and can set up outposts in all other regions of the map. Their victory condition is based on building up a Wonder (the Oak of Ages) and fighting a special battle on it, for that (and improving their cities and recruiting special units) they use Amber, which is gained either from setting up outposts or making alliances. Their mini-campaign is definitely worth the playthrough, as it expands Athel Loren with all its realms.

Both factions are fully featured even without the DLC, so buy them only if you intend to play as their specific factions, which do indeed play very differently to everyone else, but I wouldn't consider it urgent if you just got the game and are not invested in those specific races. Between the five races that come with vanilla you've got a lot of game ahead of you, and they will probably be at a larger discount by the time you run out of content with what you already have.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Watch this then decide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIU6BmuHtI0

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Mazz posted:

Magic as a whole is just a bunch of numbers laid out in a table per spell, or several tables but you get the point. No framework exists for scaling since spells aren't tied to the type or number of models like weapons are. To add modifiers they probably have to set up a variable scale on a per spell basis since each spell has several different variables and you can't really blanket change them and have it work well.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they just can't get that granular at all in this engine without a lot of work, given that we're 4-5 games deep on Warscape and units still can't hold 2 different melee weapons.

I wouldn't hold my breath hoping that comes in game 2.

So I could just edit the spell tables to properly scale for the unit size I'm using? I'm guessing they're in the pack files? The "default" balancing was done for was large unit size correct?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
That's... some red text

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

I ponied up and bought this game a few weeks ago. After bumbling through Empire and Bretonnia I decided to go Dwarfs for a change, and boy howdy, was that the right decision. Getting orcs in my warrior tarpit and gunning 'em down with quarrelers is so much fun.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I played a lot of Medieval 2: Total War so dwarfs is really not that fun. Empire at least has that standard Total War experience of jamming heavy cavalry down some poor sod's back.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

jokes posted:

I played a lot of Medieval 2: Total War so dwarfs is really not that fun. Empire at least has that standard Total War experience of jamming heavy cavalry down some poor sod's back.

Slayers are your dwarf cavalry.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Really liking my decision to turtle Reikland as Empire and tech up to Steam Tanks before moving out. I put 6 of them in my Karl Franz stack and use them to take out fortress defences, then I send them into the breach first to cause chaos while the rest of my army joins them. :hist101:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Let me guess, it only works if you have enough available models.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

So I could just edit the spell tables to properly scale for the unit size I'm using? I'm guessing they're in the pack files? The "default" balancing was done for was large unit size correct?

Yeah, you could. The best route for that would be grabbing one of the magic mods on Steam, cracking it open in the pack file manager from TWC (its better than the CA tool for table editing on the fly), and see which tables they are modifying since its like 6-7 different ones that have some overlap. Then you can copy the layout into a new mod where you make the changes you want to the vanilla versions of the tables.

It's going to be a bit confusing at first but once you understand the layout/tools modding this game is actually really, really easy assuming you aren't trying to change the campaign map or the startpos.esf variables that control the campaign stuff like starting positions.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i think they just die, then. which is the real draw anyways: it works on any non monstrous character, no saves. and i mean any: from a goblin, up to Archaeon. ludicrously hard to cast, 25+ roll with a max of, i think six? dice. but also ludicrously overpowered, therefore, balanced. :downs:

you never don't have spare clanrats when playing skaven, though. they die by the fistfull.

Xarlaxas
Sep 2, 2011

Who speaks for the Man's cub?

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i think they just die, then. which is the real draw anyways: it works on any non monstrous character, no saves. and i mean any: from a goblin, up to Archaeon. ludicrously hard to cast, 25+ roll with a max of, i think six? dice. but also ludicrously overpowered, therefore, balanced. :downs:

you never don't have spare clanrats when playing skaven, though. they die by the fistfull.

That's why you eat your warpstone tokens for extra dice! The Skaven Grey Seers could end up rolling 5 dice from the tokens, then whatever was the max for spellcasting, then add their spell level (4 for Grey Seers) to see if it casts.

Don't think I ever pulled it off, sadly.

On the other hand, I did get to ring 13 on the Screaming Bell, with my unit of 100 Stormvermin pushing it: my Dwarf opponent just removed his unit from the table instead of letting me roll 100+ S4 attacks. :v:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The clanrat spell is just some writer blatantly lifting Indigo Fire of Tzeentch from the Tzeentch spell list of previous editions, not something new. Reading through the various magic schools, Lore of Tzeentch got utterly hosed in 8th Edition - at the very least in being interesting. Previously the lists have generally been a bunch of unique effects*, with only one to two actual normal magic attacks with nothing really special(other than their signature variable damage). In 8th it's mostly just a bunch of miscellaneous variable damage spells attached with the lovely Warpflame rule.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Possibly, but the Horned Rat is cool and Tzeentch is a goof.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

jfood posted:

Goofy like a fox! Haha!

Tzeentch is a 80s-90s Hanna Barbra cartoon villain who gets his rear end resoundingly beat every day but then sits down in his house and speaks into the mirror "all according to plan! haha!"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

jfood posted:

Soon, the Horned Rat will eat the other, inferior Gods and the rats will Inherit.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Night10194 posted:

Soon, the Horned Rat will eat the other, inferior Gods and the rats will Inherit.

The Squeak Shall Inherit The Earth.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 4, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Fat Samurai posted:

Let me guess, it only works if you have enough available models.

Almost certainly, lol

At least Skaven still came in 20 packs. Who the gently caress ever fields just 10 swordsmen or skeletons?

Lord Koth posted:

The clanrat spell is just some writer blatantly lifting Indigo Fire of Tzeentch from the Tzeentch spell list of previous editions, not something new. Reading through the various magic schools, Lore of Tzeentch got utterly hosed in 8th Edition - at the very least in being interesting. Previously the lists have generally been a bunch of unique effects*, with only one to two actual normal magic attacks with nothing really special(other than their signature variable damage). In 8th it's mostly just a bunch of miscellaneous variable damage spells attached with the lovely Warpflame rule.

Tzeentch got turbofucked all around in eighth. His cackling evil vizier shtick was always my favourite but all the stuff he could do turned into super generic flaming attacks and even his models got shittier/never released.

Also I think in Sigmarworld the Horned Rat actually did take over Slaanesh's spot.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jul 4, 2017

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Lord Koth posted:

The clanrat spell is just some writer blatantly lifting Indigo Fire of Tzeentch from the Tzeentch spell list of previous editions, not something new.

well, it's mechanically similar only in that it's a spell that gives you units. differences are, you only get the rats if the unit is wiped out, and that it affects 4D6 models, rather than a whole unit, and instead of being S2 hits, it's straight up "it dies", no roll or check or anything (not that the presence of saves does much to mitigate 8th edition spell bullshit, but eh).

Presumably, the most overpowering of all chaos corruption, is a sudden craving for peanut butter.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also I think in Sigmarworld the Horned Rat actually did take over Slaanesh's spot.

Huh, that's weird. I don't really see the Horned Rat providing the same services as Slaanesh does. A pretty poor replacement.

This is more Slaanesh's vibe I think.
https://youtu.be/Bn6vuXqAEHk?t=6m13s

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Speaking of Chaos gods, I've been trying the Ultimate Chaos mod, and so far it's actually really good. It pairs really well with the strategy of "gently caress the wastelands and go straight south", since among other things it eliminates the proximity attrition and gives you a wider variety of (sorta) useful low-tier infantry. It's also pretty fun to be able to tune each of your hordes towards a particular god.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

Randarkman posted:

This is more Slaanesh's vibe I think.
https://youtu.be/Bn6vuXqAEHk?t=6m13s

Sex, drugs and... house? Uh, I think I'm gonna need that 3rd thing explaining to me.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Stephen9001 posted:

Sex, drugs and... house? Uh, I think I'm gonna need that 3rd thing explaining to me.
40K reference. It's not that bad when the Noise Marines go for house really. When the Europop starts is when you need to start worrying.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

jokes posted:

Goofy like a fox! Haha!

Tzeentch is a 80s-90s Hanna Barbra cartoon villain who gets his rear end resoundingly beat every day but then sits down in his house and speaks into the mirror "all according to plan! haha!"

except it actually was

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Whorelord posted:

except it actually was

https://twitter.com/dril/status/460673146451161088?s=09

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm playing a Wurrzag campaign right now, and thanks to the All Tabletop Lords mod, I can actually run with all Savage Orcs all the time. The mountain of offensive bonuses Savage Orcs get is similar in nature to Skarsnik and his Night Gobbos, except that all semblance of subtlety is thrown out of the window and stampeded on by the nudest and rudest Boyz.

Surprisingly, Savage Orc Arrer Boyz are actually decent at shooting while also benefiting from terrifying charge bonus stacking, so any flyer/cavalry stupid enough to try and flank get brutalized.

• Locked thread