Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Feel better because they plan on raising the price over development. You're saying money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Just get Dead Cells. It's an amazing game so far and you won't regret it.

I got it last night and it is almost impossible to stop playing. Came into the thread to recommend it.

Stanley Tweedle
Aug 15, 2001

just checked to see if it's on sale, and sure enough. Card Quest http://store.steampowered.com/app/493080/Card_Quest/ is 20% off. it's in early access, but the devs are set to release the final area next sunday, the game should be pretty much feature complete at that point, save for some end game items and a training mission for one of the character types. i've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of it. give it a look if you're into dungeon crawlers with card-based combat.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

fyallm posted:

I tried Automata and was using a mouse/keyboard and I couldn't understand the controls, it just felt like I should not be playing it with a keyboard so I refunded it :/

I am looking for a new game (solo) to purchase but I can't figure out what I want, but have figured out what I don't want and maybe you guys can help me pick?

Don't like:
-Rogue style games

I just want to play a new fun game
How dead set are you against "Rogue" games? Are you able to handle Roguelite elements where floors are sort of random-generated into rooms and you earn money that you spend after dying to make yourself more powerful?

If that doesn't bother you, take a look at Immortal Redneck http://store.steampowered.com/app/595140/Immortal_Redneck/ It's an fast-paced run-n-gun twitch-y FPS game where you're clearing through pyramid floors and blasting through enemies and gathering stuff to slowly improve things like Health, Crit %, Speed, Gold drops, etc.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
It's coming down to the end of the sale.. I think I'm going to give Sorcery! a shot since I've heard reasonably positive things.

There was a bit of RPG talk a page or so back, and I was curious what I can get (if anything) that would be similar to the old Might and Magic games and good (specifically IV-V style) with the block style movement and turn based combat. I emphatically do not want something that is Legend of Grimrock / Eye of the Beholder style real time combat. I'm looking for pure turn based. I'd also prefer not drawing manual maps.

I tried Elminage Gothic for a bit which is sort of the style I want but not actually very good. I played through Might and Magic X twice already and liked it.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

*Edit* I could go for something in the style of the later games / Wizardry VIII with real time movement switching to turn based combat if I have to, but I'd rather not

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

OK sale is pretty much over for me unless someone buys a playset of Flagstones of Trokair from me so I can get NiER, so now what to play? I've narrowed it down to a list, but someone suggest one of these. Preference is to things that can be finished in one evening to get them into my "finished" category and off my HD.

(yes, some of this stuff is old, I have just never played any of these other than Thumper which is so good I want to finish it so it's on the list, baby)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

OK sale is pretty much over for me unless someone buys a playset of Flagstones of Trokair from me so I can get NiER, so now what to play? I've narrowed it down to a list, but someone suggest one of these. Preference is to things that can be finished in one evening to get them into my "finished" category and off my HD.

(yes, some of this stuff is old, I have just never played any of these other than Thumper which is so good I want to finish it so it's on the list, baby)

Firewatch you can finish pretty quickly in <6 hrs. Uhh I think Edith Finch and Oxenfree are also very short being <6 hrs each but I have not played them.

Then play Hollow Knight, its about 20-40 hours.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

EMPORIUM is microscopic, Stories Untold and NaissanceE are both 2 hour games, 1979 Revolution is a little longer than that.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Give in to the Dead Cells. It's so god drat fluid. It moves so nicely and somehow stays legible even when poo poo is young nuts. You execute something well and feel like a god drat master

Dehumanize yourself and face to steam sales

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Pony Island is short as well, Crypt of the Necrodancer and arguably Super Meat Boy are more suited for short bursts and are probably best played alongside something else. Talos Principle is amazing but you probably want to leave that until you're ready to play through something big.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Pony Island was great, totally recommended.

I will give Dead Cells a try.

I am eyeing Brigadier based on the soundtrack alone. Is the game worth it?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Antioch posted:

Pony Island was great, totally recommended.

I will give Dead Cells a try.

I am eyeing Brigadier based on the soundtrack alone. Is the game worth it?

Brigador (assuming that's what you're asking for) is absolutely worth it. Goon-made isometric mech simulator. Commit warcrimes, enjoy the highly tactical combat - and don't treat it like a twin stick shooter unless you want to get smoked.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Speaking of good goon-made games, House of the Dying Sun is modern Freespace with a little bit of strategy thrown in.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Just get Dead Cells. It's an amazing game so far and you won't regret it.

Dead Cells is fantastic

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

-Blackadder- posted:

Also when you say you don't like horror games do you mean stuff like Resident Evil or Outlast, or just any game with remotely horror elements? A lot of good games aren't straight horror, but do have stuff like monsters, ghosts, and demons as enemies, if you don't like anything like that you're going to be even more limited but you'll still have some options.

Check out
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Sniper Elite 3 or 4

Thanks for all of those, I went through and removed the one's I have played or didn't seem interesting to me... And horror games, I dont know I just find zombies and poo poo like that meh and overplayed..... Should I get Sniper 3 or 4? I was looking at that one and it looked interesting

quote:

Immortal Redneck

This looks.... Interesting, haha.. I need to watch some more videos to see if I love it, or hate it.

Should I buy dishonored 1 or 2?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

fyallm posted:

This looks.... Interesting, haha.. I need to watch some more videos to see if I love it, or hate it.

Did you ever play Ziggurat or like Serious Sam esque games? (This guy's FOV is super high but shows pretty well what you can do)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iMouU4botY&t=474s

Also both. Well, Dishonored 1 is like $3 so get that first. They're both very good games, 1 is better as a whole package; 2 is better QoL and mechanic wise (although 1 is still really good in that department) but the story and overa;l package isn't as good. Still really worth playing if only for the levels which are top notch A+++ design.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jul 4, 2017

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Is Kona good? I like story and character heavy games, but generally prefer adventure games (like KRZ, Night in the Woods, etc) to walking simulators.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Xaris posted:

Did you ever play Ziggurat?

Also both. Well, Dishonored 1 is like $3 so get that first. They're both very good games, 1 is better as a whole package; 2 is better QoL and mechanic wise (although 1 is still really good in that department) but the story and overa;l package isn't as good. Still really worth playing if only for the levels which are top notch A+++ design.

I have never heard of ziggurat, it looks interesting... The thing that always turns me off on these rogue games is there are just way to many options on gear and upgrades, I feel like if I dont spend just as much time researching the items and picking the right upgrade or using the right powerful weapon I am gimping myself so much it makes the game frustratingly hard.

EDIT: Just bought Dishonored 1. woo hoo

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

al-azad posted:

The goldbox games were actually turn based but Eye of the Beholder was capitalizing off Dungeon Master. Strangely the GBA version is a goldbox style game with turn based tactical combat.

Otherwise I agree, yes.

You're obviously completely right, they did do it properly for a bunch of those games. This is why I shouldn't migraine post. I had EotB and Ravenloft in my head, and went into rant mode, completely forgetting all the Pool of Radiance stuff. Pretty sure EotB isn't even Gold Box. So okay how about "gently caress Dungeon Master" (List of things I hate about Dungeon Master: 1. That I still love it despite this. End of list).

The Phantasie series was also done "right". So many hours in Phantasie 2. Still, I want my lament for it changing held on the record. And the lawn thing.

Substandard posted:

It's coming down to the end of the sale.. I think I'm going to give Sorcery! a shot since I've heard reasonably positive things.

There was a bit of RPG talk a page or so back, and I was curious what I can get (if anything) that would be similar to the old Might and Magic games and good (specifically IV-V style) with the block style movement and turn based combat. I emphatically do not want something that is Legend of Grimrock / Eye of the Beholder style real time combat. I'm looking for pure turn based. I'd also prefer not drawing manual maps.

I'm pretty sure that the core of my ranting/calmly discussing during RPG talk was that virtually no games are like this anymore.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

fyallm posted:

I have never heard of ziggurat, it looks interesting... The thing that always turns me off on these rogue games is there are just way to many options on gear and upgrades, I feel like if I dont spend just as much time researching the items and picking the right upgrade or using the right powerful weapon I am gimping myself so much it makes the game frustratingly hard.
It doesn't really matter, scrolls (powerups) are auto-pickup and sometimes are good, sometimes are bad (like 80% good) so you don't have much autonomy there. Guns drop from enemies/chests and most are really sidegrades and you get a feel for what they do quick anyways, there isn't actual RNG stats for guns. When you die you lose whatever guns/scrolls you had but you keep the Gold you collect from dead enemies so at the end of your run you can upgrade yourself at a hub like +hp, +dmg, +speed, +critiical hit chance %, etc. You can't really gimp yourself because you can always just go make another run and earn more Gold.

Very much a "ok ONE MORE RUN I PROMISE" syndrome *its 4am in the morning and sun is peeking through the blinds*

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

strategery posted:

Dead Cells is fantastic

Goons will not stop talking about this game so I'll likely pick it up tonight. How is the permanent progression handled? Is it like Rogue Legacy with stats/skills purchased through a currency earned each run, or like Dungeonmans where you can retain both items stashed and stat points in some capacity?

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Xaris posted:

It doesn't really matter, scrolls (powerups) are auto-pickup and sometimes are good, sometimes are bad (like 80% good) so you don't have much autonomy there. Guns drop from enemies/chests and most are really sidegrades and you get a feel for what they do quick anyways, there isn't actual RNG stats for guns. When you die you lose whatever guns/scrolls you had but you keep the Gold you collect from dead enemies so at the end of your run you can upgrade yourself at a hub like +hp, +dmg, +speed, +critiical hit chance %, etc. You can't really gimp yourself because you can always just go make another run and earn more Gold.

Very much a "ok ONE MORE RUN I PROMISE" syndrome *its 4am in the morning and sun is peeking through the blinds*

Would you say zigg or redneck?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Harminoff posted:

I've never played the game however I've listened to the soundtrack to neotokyo a lot.

ed Harrison is amazing. he also has some tracks on the mankind divided soundtrack, which I did not know until now. his spotify page.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jul 4, 2017

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Has anyone seen a good space combat strategy game on sale? I want to try the genre and Battlefleet Gothic Armada looks awesome, but my computer's a little too old to run it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
On the off chance I've missed something over the decades:

Any good long RPGs with somewhat tactical combat, intricate leveling systems, and a bunch of loot. And in a science fiction setting. Like Baldur's Gate but sci fi. So KOTOR 1&2 except not them because I've already played them.

I want to spend too much time comparing items in shops before ultimately buying nothing.

Played the Fallouts, Wasteland 2. Bounced off the new Shadowruns (will give them another go eventually).

Really not in the mood for stock fantasy ATM.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

fyallm posted:

EDIT: Just bought Dishonored 1. woo hoo

Play Dungeonmans or Sproggiwood. Sproggiwood is minimalist, so there's way less to manage. Dungeonmans has traditional inventory/equipment, but there aren't really 'wrong' choices. Put on better looking gear with bigger numbers. Pretty much every spec has strong skills.

Immortal Redneck is basically Ziggurat-but-better. Ziggurat does have some nifty ideas and it's worth playing if you like the general concept. Neither are a 'normal' roguelike, they're both first person shooters with random levels and powerups/guns/magic spells.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Rinkles posted:

Any good long RPGs with somewhat tactical combat, intricate leveling systems, and a bunch of loot. And in a science fiction setting. Like Baldur's Gate but sci fi. So KOTOR 1&2 except not them because I've already played them.

I want to spend too much time comparing items in shops before ultimately buying nothing.

Played the Fallouts, Wasteland 2. Bounced off the new Shadowruns (will give them another go eventually).

Mass Effect comes to mind, particularly since you mentioned KOTOR and they're both Bioware franchises. The first one in particular has "intricate leveling" and "too much time comparing items in shops", 2 and 3 streamline those systems a lot.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

FishBowlRobot posted:

Has anyone seen a good space combat strategy game on sale? I want to try the genre and Battlefleet Gothic Armada looks awesome, but my computer's a little too old to run it.

I thought Gratuitous Space Battles was a piece of poo poo, but you may not.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Mass Effect comes to mind, particularly since you mentioned KOTOR and they're both Bioware franchises. The first one in particular has "intricate leveling" and "too much time comparing items in shops", 2 and 3 streamline those systems a lot.

That's so much in the action genre in my mind I didn't think to list it as already played. But thanks, ME1 indeed would fit most of the criteria, even if I'd prefer something a bit slower and with a much more interesting skill progression.

(I used to have an Udina av)

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

markgreyam posted:

I'm pretty sure that the core of my ranting/calmly discussing during RPG talk was that virtually no games are like this anymore.

There are some for portables... The Etrian Odyssey games are pretty OK for 3DS, and there are some fanservice-y dungeon crawlers for vita that are alright. I just wondered if there was anything for PC I wasn't aware of. I don't really like portables.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

FishBowlRobot posted:

Has anyone seen a good space combat strategy game on sale?

Starfarer http://fractalsoftworks.com/

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Mystic Stylez posted:

I know this is highly subjective, but recommend me games with awesome soundtracks. I don't care which genre or category, as long as the game itself is at least decent.

Some random examples: Fallout 1/2, Deus Ex, Hotline Miami 1/2, Brigador, Shatter, Bastion, VVVVVV, STALKER series.

I'll second Nier Automata. Speaking of being anime, there's always the Guilty Gear soundtracks. Pick any one, really.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Ragequit posted:

Goons will not stop talking about this game so I'll likely pick it up tonight. How is the permanent progression handled? Is it like Rogue Legacy with stats/skills purchased through a currency earned each run, or like Dungeonmans where you can retain both items stashed and stat points in some capacity?

It's a little more punishing than Rogue Legacy. There's two types of currency, gold and cells. Gold gets you immediate gear from random vendors you run into, while cells get put towards unlocking new weapons and items or upgrading current weapons and abilities. You unlock new blueprints by picking them up off random mobs and bringing them to where you spend cells between levels.

It doesn't really matter though because if you liked Rogue legacy you will loving love this.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i'm playing nier automata on keyboard and mouse, you pretty much must download the autohotkey mod in order to play it normally (it's in one of the steam guides, probably "how to tweak" which my office firewall is preventing me from accessing). You not only get to use Shift to dodge you can put the pod fire on toggle rather than hold. personally i changed the pod fire key to T instead of Tab because you don't want to keep activating the steam overlay all the time

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Deus Ex/DX:HR, maybe? I'm not sure what else there is. Besides Mass Effect. Maybe the Spiders games, but I found Mars: War Logs shallow and not very fun.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Some goons were going on about UnderRail for a while.

I don't know if it's good or not, haven't played it

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

fyallm posted:

Remember to get the GOTY version, the DLC (Knife of Dunwall and Brigmore Witches) are as good, if not better, than the base game, and just as long.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Edmond Dantes posted:

Remember to get the GOTY version, the DLC (Knife of Dunwall and Brigmore Witches) are as good, if not better, than the base game, and just as long.

I didn't get that version of Dishonored 1, is it to late?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
What are some games on sale with really good stories?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

monster on a stick posted:

What are some games on sale with really good stories?

That's, uh, that feels too broad? What kind of story? What genre?

Have you been to a library lately?

• Locked thread