Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Fruits of the sea posted:

I've been doing quests in the Savage Coast that are several levels too high for me. Do you mean you can't talk to people?

Yeah. It runs you around to each npc in line, and the others are locked. You can talk to them but not get quests until you reach X level. I realize I could just grind the levels out, but holy poo poo is that a complete step back from before, where you could get quests from anyone at any time. Again, its just another way they've removed options- and a comparatively small one, if i'm being honest, but it just makes me feel limited. Like, "oh, I guess I'll just follow your path then." They should take a page from all the korean grind fests and add a "GO TO QUEST MARKER" button so you don't even have to move your character around yourself.

I do not understand how anyone could ever think "You know what would make this game better? LESS. Let's just dial everything back to LESS than before. There's just too much freedom. Too many character options. We really want to limit everything, that'll make it way better."

I uninstalled today. The whole time I was logged in I felt like I was playing with the lobotomized zombie of something I used to really love. Fido still looks like my dog, but he doesn't bark anymore and he only knows two tricks, both of which are different versions of "sit."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The problem with TSW combat is, frankly, there was too much freedom.

Let me put it this way.

There were only about three good tank builds, by picking any two of Blade, Hammer, Chaos. Blade/Chaos was king, except in Scenarios which needed Hammer/Chaos.

In Healing, it was Fist direct, Blood barrier, or nothing, since Funcom kept nerfing rifle healing into the ground to the point it was only useful in Ankh NM.

DPS was the only time you had freedom, but the master weapon was Elementalism due to manifestations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You can have a million options but within a day there will be a min-max guide and everyone will be building around it, thus everything will be tuned around it over time.

Excess choice is just the illusion of choice.

Now take these lovely pills the Illuminati cooked up for you.

Hah jokes on you, it was in the LSD on the packaging.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Tallgeese posted:

Yeah, I started out working towards the Paladin spec (blade+pistols) because the deck outfit looked cool, but by late SC/BM I was struggling to kill anything. Maybe I'm just bad, but I was doing my best to find combos that utilized whatever gimmick they shared (penetration?), and it wasn't working out.

I ended up going back to Kingsmouth, swapped my pistols for chaos, and just tanked dungeons for a while. Never really ended up playing past BM, but at least when I got back there I was able to kill things with the new load out.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Tallgeese posted:

I don't buy it.

All games with an exchange like this devalue the ingame currency over time.

It's just SWL has done it at absolute record rates.

you are playing a game where all conspiracies are real

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
The level locking thing is a minor inconvenience at best. I've been "playing" since launch but waiting for the gf to have time so it's really been speed running the first few kingsmouth quests for the challenges, doing dungeons, and shambalol. As a result, I started doing the game proper with her this weekend and I was lv 15 so I didn't experience it firsthand. As we played, she mentioned a few times that dawning of an endless night was saying she had to hit the next level barrier to move on, but because we're hitting all the quests it never turned into a need to grind, repeat quests, or even hop around to find new quests to do. If you're grinding your dick off to hit lv cap (loving why?) I imaging it becomes super inconvenient because the story does seem to gate pretty often, but if you're actually playing for content then the barriers are mostly invisible.

Not that I'm white knighting or anything because I'm still pissed at whatever unpaid egomaniac banned me from discord for a joke. Eat a sloppy cock, funcom.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Again. Did you miss the point where I got kicked from the legends beta for posting negative criticism of the game? You really shouldn't be surprised by that.

And the level cap is trash. I'm over Polaris. Let me do Hell Raised now that I'm in SC.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Tallgeese posted:

Let me put it this way.

There were only about three good tank builds, by picking any two of Blade, Hammer, Chaos. Blade/Chaos was king, except in Scenarios which needed Hammer/Chaos.

In Healing, it was Fist direct, Blood barrier, or nothing, since Funcom kept nerfing rifle healing into the ground to the point it was only useful in Ankh NM.

DPS was the only time you had freedom, but the master weapon was Elementalism due to manifestations.

With TSW, it was easy to fail early in the game. At cap, since AP/SP was cumulative, you could unlock secondary skills and swap around to more ideal builds fairly easily. But while you were leveling, it was near impossible to dig yourself out of a hole.

It didn't help that ALL weapons were of the builder, builder, builder, finisher model and while the secondary weapons could compliment the primary there was no real difference in feel between the two.

The skill wheel was a good idea that was poor in execution.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Are other people here lagging and losing connection to the server fairly frequently? It's being severe enough to make the game a lot let enjoyable.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Meskhenet posted:

That being said, i'm actually enjoying the story so dont mind. Event he dungeons are ok, though the limit of 10 keys per day sucks balls.

Are the dungeon loots worth it? I have a tailsman from both the 1st and 2nd, (and a weapon from the 1st i cant use) should i bother to lvl them up?

Been rocking pistols and shotgun, and pulling aggro from tanks in dungeons. I seriously think im still using only the starter skills too.

I'm mostly waiting for the Wednesday patch since while I certainly will use the approximate case worth of distillates I got, I really was hoping to get a talisman for one of my empty slots even with being overleveled for the dungeon.

I'm also rocking the pistols/shotty combination and it's been so potent a combo I feel as if my gunslinger should have a backup band following her playing some badass hero music for how well she cuts through mobs barring the named ones that need a group. Even if SWL was doing the awarding AP/SP like TSW to eventually fill all the abilities, I'd still be using pistols/shotty maxed out when spending points elsewhere to just unlock costumes.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Meallan posted:

Are other people here lagging and losing connection to the server fairly frequently? It's being severe enough to make the game a lot let enjoyable.

No problems here. Someone on reddit said they were having similar issues and it turned out to be their router, but who the gently caress knows what that means. Maybe check QOS and run a continual ping to the funcom servers to see if you're having packet loss?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I haven't run into any difficulties with level/quest gating but I'm also playing through all the story. Biggest issue is actually overlevelling for the content as xp comes too quickly. There's no way I would get Patron, the xp boost would make things boring.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I haven't run into any difficulties with level/quest gating but I'm also playing through all the story. Biggest issue is actually overlevelling for the content as xp comes too quickly. There's no way I would get Patron, the xp boost would make things boring.

With patron I'm skipping missions here and there, mostly investigations and side missions. I have yet to hit a level gate and didn't know it was a thing until I saw someone else talking about it. The combat does seem pretty easy to me and I did feel like near the end of the previous zone I had outleveled it with how fast I was able to blow through enemies. So you're probably right.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
So against my better judgement, I'm trying this out after having hated the lovely combat in the old one but loved the story. I have lifetime so no money needed - what's the most brain-dead easy combo of weapons to do the story painlessly?

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

LegionAreI posted:

So against my better judgement, I'm trying this out after having hated the lovely combat in the old one but loved the story. I have lifetime so no money needed - what's the most brain-dead easy combo of weapons to do the story painlessly?

Blade or Shotgun with no other weapons if easy mode. Elemental/Pistol is strong as well.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

tbh I didn't even notice the mission lockouts after I got past the first few police station missions. I don't really see how it's an issue, since it's not like you were gonna run to the opposite end of a zone and do a quest with enemies that outlevel you anyways? It didn't take me long at all to unlock every Kingsmouth questgiver, and I don't see it ever being an issue unless you just flat out skip some main quests. (What's the word for those? Not the story quests, but not the sidequests either?)

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Finally downloaded and installed.

I'm a fan of ranged weapons and so am leaning either shotgun/hammer or pistol/shotgun. Could someone briefly describe the highs and lows of each?

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Kessel posted:

Finally downloaded and installed.

I'm a fan of ranged weapons and so am leaning either shotgun/hammer or pistol/shotgun. Could someone briefly describe the highs and lows of each?

Pistol will have extra non-tank abilities to give you more flavor and hammer is melee range only.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost
I dunno what the gimmick for pistol is, but I like that the hammer one is super simple on my shotgun/hammer guy. Especially when the shotgun gimmick needs some babysitting between making sure you load the right shells and the even/odd passive.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Lawlicaust posted:

Blade or Shotgun with no other weapons if easy mode. Elemental/Pistol is strong as well.

What's your shotty build?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The pistol is also very hands-off. Whenever you shoot something, you flip a coin. If you win, you get a slight damage boost with pistol abilities for a few seconds. So combining a shotgun (which requires a fair amount of micromanagement) with either a hammer or a pistol will work great, it's just up to you to decide what looks cooler.

This game is really fun. The tone and flavour reminds me of Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines. I'm around halfway through Blue Mountain, and this might be the first MMO I play without listening to other music or putting on a podcast, because the aesthetics and especially the sound design are so atmospheric. In particular, I love exploring spooky buildings, and so my favourite part so far was running around the actual town of Kingsmouth. I hope there are more dense "urban" areas like that later on, because I find the attention to detail really rewarding. The investigation missions are memorable, even if I have to look up the solutions more often than not (I'm not well-versed in Bible history).

So yeah, really digging this game. The combat's alright.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Richard M Nixon posted:

Not that I'm white knighting or anything because I'm still pissed at whatever unpaid egomaniac banned me from discord for a joke. Eat a sloppy cock, funcom.

Dang that sucks Nixon... hope you can manage to get unbanned

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
I'm currently doing Ele/Blood. My only major regret is that I don't know how to make the itemization work, since I wanted to splash into Blood for Sanctuary but without Heal items it's going to be quite anemic. I wouldn't mind focusing on a healing build but that sounds like it wouldn't work very well soloing.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Jay Rust posted:

The pistol is also very hands-off. Whenever you shoot something, you flip a coin. If you win, you get a slight damage boost with pistol abilities for a few seconds. So combining a shotgun (which requires a fair amount of micromanagement) with either a hammer or a pistol will work great, it's just up to you to decide what looks cooler.

This game is really fun. The tone and flavour reminds me of Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines. I'm around halfway through Blue Mountain, and this might be the first MMO I play without listening to other music or putting on a podcast, because the aesthetics and especially the sound design are so atmospheric. In particular, I love exploring spooky buildings, and so my favourite part so far was running around the actual town of Kingsmouth. I hope there are more dense "urban" areas like that later on, because I find the attention to detail really rewarding. The investigation missions are memorable, even if I have to look up the solutions more often than not (I'm not well-versed in Bible history).

There's going to be a bigger city than Kingsmouth later on, but most new areas (Egypt, Transylvania) have only small urban areas. There's still plenty of creepy buildings though! Oh believe me there's going to be a lot of creepy buildings.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Kessel posted:

Pistol is great single target damage once you invest in the right passives and build. Shotgun is useful immediately and is great overall, with high AOE damage and good sustain. I wanted to go AR initially, but I started Pistol/Shotgun and have been very pleased.

Edit: Hammer is great too. Start Shotgun/Hammer if you want to prepare for eventual tanking, or Pistol/Shotgun if you want more damage options.

Amante fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jul 3, 2017

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

The way they described patron it isn’t 2x XP, it’s 2x AP/SP gain, so you’re still “leveling” at the same rate, you just have more to play with at the same level.

So still overpowering the content but not as badly so.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Phanatic posted:

What's your shotty build?

The best part about Shotgun is that you can get almost all the best actives in a single ability line and same with passives. Shell Salvage is the only thing in a different active line. Odds and Evens is in a different passive line but it's the first passive so barely out of your way. It has the lowest AP/SP spend to be strong. Other weapons like Blade require you to dip into three active lines and 4+ passive lines to be as strong.

Actives:
Pump Action
Both Barrels
Raging Bullet
Shell Salvage
Opening Shot (more useful for group content than solo, consider a healing ability here)
(Whatever else sounds fun, maybe dip into a second weapon with good Elites or cc/heals)

Passives:
Odds and Evens
Both Barrels Passive
Raging Bullet Passive
Shell Salvage Passive (get last, it's not essential)
(Whatever else you want)

Rotation:
Rotate between power attacks and pump action to get Odds and Evens bonuses. When low on energy, Shell Salvage a full 6 shells for full energy. Repeat.

Secondaries:
Hammer is good for more AoE/Avalanche.
Blade is good for more heals with Soothing Spring.
Fist is good for the active Savagery.
Pistols brings more good debuff options.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 3, 2017

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Thanks for the advice. I went with guns guns guns - pistol and shotgun.

I'd forgotten just how atmospheric this game was. It doesn't even matter that I've played through all this before - it's so good that I'm enjoying myself just as much the second time through. What a load of wasted potential TSW was.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

I genuinely love the setting which isn't a surprise for how much I love horror films. It's too bad it didn't really take off in TSW. I do wish I had been able to go lifetime sub when they had the last offer of it, but I didn't quite have the funds at the time. If they ever offer it again, hopefully I'll be able to go for it this time.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Here is my blood magic build

hide blood magic book

cast blood magic

dress as smart black man

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Im running as full blood DPS and I'm about halfway through blue mountains. Am I gimping myself for later? Haven't had a lick of trouble surviving or killing anything yet.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Third World Reggin posted:

Here is my blood magic build

hide blood magic book

cast blood magic

dress as smart black man

Everyday I'm hustlin'

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Replaying as been so much fun. Going through the story for a second time feels great because you now understand a lot more of what's going on. There's so many variables and factions doing their own little things in the first area alone. It's great.

I hope this time the game takes off the ground. I remember playing Vampire Bloodlines a lot and this is one of the few games that gets that specific vein of atmosphere well. Horror mixed with a lot of humour. I think SWL does it even better than Vampire, to be honest.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Exmond posted:

Dang that sucks Nixon... hope you can manage to get unbanned

I got one freebie when the community management changed but since then I've been pretty much disliked by them. They really don't take criticism well.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

I asked in game and no answer, but did they change where the family photo is in the Ghosts and the Darkness quest? I've looked in each of the early on red circles and it's not there.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is that the quest in the mines? I think I found the photo in a room past the one directly in front of you when you first enter.

Not super helpful, I know...

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
I picked Pistol/Shotgun and I'm enjoying it so far other than resources seem a little tight at the moment. Not thrilled that I have to play in fullscreen or my reticle drifts like nobody's business, but I guess that's fine.

It's interesting going back to this after being lifetime poopsocking the first day it was out in 2012. I vaguely remember getting overwhelmed with the amount of quests and poo poo, the streamlining feels pretty good. I never liked the limited quest log and I still don't, but it's not terrible like some other games I've played.

The combat is ... alright, I guess. Everything feels way more squishy than it did so it's not such a huge terrible slog, but I'm still in Kingsmouth so who knows if those god drat loving bugs in Blue Mountain are going to be any better. I'm still up in the air if I really like it or not but anything would have been better than the pile of poo poo it was before.

I'm reasonably optimistic to play this just for story stuff - I can see the upgrade mechanic turning into whaletown later on.

I do wonder if the tremendous amount of weird-rear end excellent voice acting in this game through the optional dialogue trees is wasted on the guy who called me the n-word and "fag" right off the bat in the starting area, though!

Siddhartha Glutamate
Oct 3, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lawlicaust posted:

The best part about Shotgun is that you can get almost all the best actives in a single ability line and same with passives. Shell Salvage is the only thing in a different active line. Odds and Evens is in a different passive line but it's the first passive so barely out of your way. It has the lowest AP/SP spend to be strong. Other weapons like Blade require you to dip into three active lines and 4+ passive lines to be as strong.

Actives:
Pump Action
Both Barrels
Raging Bullet
Shell Salvage
Opening Shot (more useful for group content than solo, consider a healing ability here)
(Whatever else sounds fun, maybe dip into a second weapon with good Elites or cc/heals)

Passives:
Odds and Evens
Both Barrels Passive
Raging Bullet Passive
Shell Salvage Passive (get last, it's not essential)
(Whatever else you want)

Rotation:
Rotate between power attacks and pump action to get Odds and Evens bonuses. When low on energy, Shell Salvage a full 6 shells for full energy. Repeat.

Secondaries:
Hammer is good for more AoE/Avalanche.
Blade is good for more heals with Soothing Spring.
Fist is good for the active Savagery.
Pistols brings more good debuff options.

Thank you for this post, I always worry I am doing something dumb when it comes to building a character in RPGs (cause I always do).

How would Shotgun/Blood magic be for a combo? I really want to be able to heal... But maye sword would be better?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Hammer/Shotgun was not tested at all.

The thing to think about for a good secondary in this seems to be if it can be used without any building. Hammers have a few buffs they give sure, but if you want to use the abilities you need Rage. And you can't get Rage while fighting/getting hit while using a Shotgun.

But if you switch to Hammers first with the Shotgun as a secondary, the Shotgun STARTS loaded, and has a ton of abilities that say "gets stronger based on shells used.".

Between the Hammer abilities buffing me up/healing me, mixed with the heals/damage of 6shot Shotgun abilities and I'm unkillable and do more damage then most DPS. I'm running around Shambala tanking entire groups and 1-2 shotting them. I soloed Polaris at the level you are supposed to group Polaris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Sword heals are self heals only.