Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
My question is has anyone here played SH3 but not SH1 and what is their opinion of SH3, because I feel like you miss out on a lot of SH3 by not playing or at least being familiar with SH1, but that could just be me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yardbomb posted:

Survivor felt grossly easy once you got the teachables everyone went crazy with, self-care, sabotage all the hooks, that's what I meant by the last part, I'd rather the killer just come up and brain me rather than have to go through an extended song and dance that makes the actual killer not that scary to deal with. The only time killers did feel threatening most of the time was when they'd burn a mori, but they're even planning on making that worse soon from what I saw.
Why would anyone sabo hooks anymore? They're only worth 500 points now, take a full minute to destroy, and generate after three minutes. The real problem with DbD is that one of the killers is completely worthless and never a threat, the wraith, and one is relentlessly unfun, the trapper.

As for killing you outright vs hooks, I kinda hear you but I also hear Jasons refusing to kill me in any interesting way and just shift grabbing over and over again instead.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I mean killing Jason never worked out too well for anyone in the films.
No, but they still tried to do it, which you won't be doing if you want to win as an F13 survivor. I like their Jason, it'd be good if they could come up with something other than searching desks as part of the basic gameplay loop (yes I know there are generators you can repair, etc etc). Good to hear that they're going to have an all-Jason singleplayer.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

FirstAidKite posted:

My question is has anyone here played SH3 but not SH1 and what is their opinion of SH3, because I feel like you miss out on a lot of SH3 by not playing or at least being familiar with SH1, but that could just be me.

I completely missed the boat in SH1. By the time I learned the series existed, 3 was already out. the technological gap between ps1 and 2 was big to the point I didnīt feel compelled to actually go back and experience SH1.I started with 3, enjoyed it thoroughly, and went back to play SH2 once were done with that.

Iīm sure the experience wouldīve been richer if I played SH1, but at the time I didnīt feel like I missed anything. The atmosphere, sound design, non-euclidean area transfers and bizarre Jacob's Ladder visuals were more than engaging enough on their own.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

FirstAidKite posted:

Well a few scenes might make more sense, or hit deeper if you've played 1, but as Mindblast said, SH 3 pretty much can support itself on it's own. I mean some people might enjoy SH 3 more by not having played 1 cause how are you going to kill Harry Mason off screen in such an anti-climatic way!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

discworld is all I read posted:

Well a few scenes might make more sense, or hit deeper if you've played 1, but as Mindblast said, SH 3 pretty much can support itself on it's own. I mean some people might enjoy SH 3 more by not having played 1 cause how are you going to kill Harry Mason off screen in such an anti-climatic way!

What specifically came to mind was the stuff with Nowhere, the stuff Harry wrote there.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Old Boot posted:

I was almost about to come back into this thread to yell about bullshit adventure game mechanics (okay but what am I supposed to do with this hammer?), but then I got surrounded by six gigantic rabbits and decided that this recc was a good one. Thanks! Still not thrilled with 'oh boy I'm playing an adventure game again,' but the story so far has definitely been worth it.

I actually found that the adventure game stuff (Use this on This) was actually fairly intuitive in the first chapter. The sequel was a little more confusing and I had to look up a couple things, but I never had many real problems in the first.

But yeah, the overall theme and plot and such definitely makes it worth it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Skyscraper posted:

No, but they still tried to do it, which you won't be doing if you want to win as an F13 survivor. I like their Jason, it'd be good if they could come up with something other than searching desks as part of the basic gameplay loop (yes I know there are generators you can repair, etc etc). Good to hear that they're going to have an all-Jason singleplayer.

I don't have a huge problem with it because I know it's a low budget game funded by a Kickstarter that made barely any stretch goals and they still put in the extra effort to throw some of them in just to make a better product.

And it's incredibly fun, especially if you take a day or two's break from it instead of trying to power through for 4 hours a day for a week. It does a really good job of properly simulating a horror movie and is full of callbacks and material from the movies, from music to Easter eggs.

It also doesn't really feel unbalanced. The different Jasons do have legitimately different skill levels to be good with them (Part 2 has a super slow Shift so he can't really catch up to counselors who run too far away and is going to have trouble using a Shift+Grab combo to yank them, while there are Jasons who have super fast Shift and great senses but are restricted to a menacing walking pace and rely on their powers and throwing knives to catch up when they can't ambush someone). The game doesn't keep track of a kill:death ratio or "wins" or anything like that and the developers have remained tight-lipped about the exact nuances of everything, which has restricted how quickly a metagame and min-maxing can form.

There are games where Jason totally wipes the map within less than 10 minutes, games where he only kills 1 or 2 people before everyone escapes, and everything in between. A group of counselors that communicates and knows the game well can run rings around a crappy Jason (I once played a game where we timed out the game by just beating the poo poo out of Jason so badly that he couldn't fight back enough to kill anyone), while a group that remains silent and doesn't even try to work together will get slaughtered. You never know what kind of game you're going to get.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Is the last door a flash game compilation? because I swear I played it a long time ago on kongregate or whatever

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

Is the last door a flash game compilation? because I swear I played it a long time ago on kongregate or whatever
I think the first chapter was available online for free, kind of as an advert for the others? Although I feel like I played the second one online as well.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Uh what happened to that Routine game again? I thought it was out earlier this year?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
ah i had forgotten after so long how terrible the stealth is in the last of us

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Whoa, been on a horror game research binge for the Steam sale and didn't realize there was a thread like this. Sweet!

I will now proceed to read all 283 pages.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Relin posted:

ah i had forgotten after so long how terrible the stealth is in the last of us

Don't play it as a stealth game because it isn't one. Against human enemies the stealth is only there to get as close as possible before throwing a brick in someone's face to auto-kill them. In one human section I got through it perfectly only to have the game literally spawn an enemy to hop over a fence and attack me so murder everyone.

Against the infected if you hold the listen button you can effectively sneak through any area perfectly as long as you don't physically touch anyone. The bow is also 100% silent and takes out any infected in a single headshot. Molotovs also don't give you away.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Ineffiable posted:

Uh what happened to that Routine game again? I thought it was out earlier this year?

Was supposed to be March but they postponed because they say that one of the paths through the game wasn't shaping up as well as others.

http://www.lunar-software.com/2017/03/march-they-said/

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
so how spooky is the last door?

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
It's mostly creeping dread afaik. It's a lo-fi point and click adventure game.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Skyscraper posted:

this is my issue with these types of games. they don't seem to put in any effort to design good/fun gameplay for the not-monster players. i've always tried to think up how to make a good the thing multiplayer type game but it's hard to design the gameplay for the not-thing people.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Tired Moritz posted:

so how spooky is the last door?

Depends how spooked you get by lo-fi pixel art. There's a couple of sudden jump scares, but on the whole, 2/10 spooks

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't have a huge problem with it because I know it's a low budget game funded by a Kickstarter that made barely any stretch goals and they still put in the extra effort to throw some of them in just to make a better product.

And it's incredibly fun, especially if you take a day or two's break from it instead of trying to power through for 4 hours a day for a week. It does a really good job of properly simulating a horror movie and is full of callbacks and material from the movies, from music to Easter eggs.
Ah, yeah, forgot about the budget, that is a thing for sure.

Groovelord Neato posted:

this is my issue with these types of games. they don't seem to put in any effort to design good/fun gameplay for the not-monster players. i've always tried to think up how to make a good the thing multiplayer type game but it's hard to design the gameplay for the not-thing people.
I think they did a really good job of making the gameplay good for the not-Jason people, they just focused on making it only good vs Jason. Like, the actual game mechanics of being a survivor shape up really well, so running and hiding from Jason can actually make a lot of sense the way they happen, it's just that the way to "win" for a character is always just searching cabins and escaping. Realistic, but in actual Friday the 13th movies most characters don't have "search the cabins for escape equipment" as an objective. There are a number of reasons why "dangerous nude scene" or "have a conversation with another counselor about the villain" would make bad objectives, but they'd pad out the action types some.

Or maybe just give XP/personal win/loss ratio for any time the Jason music is playing, so taunting him and running down the clock becomes a winning strategy?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Last Door is wholly about the atmosphere and story. Didn't know it was out on phones too. Great news seeing as my PC is broke and I was left hanging after season 1.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So I'm trying to pick up some Horror games for the Steam sale and was wondering what you other horror fan goons would recommend?

Here are a few games I'm currently looking at that I'd love to get the opinions on....

Monstrum
Murdered: Soul Suspect
Layers of Fear
Dreadout

I'd also like to hear about any other good horror games you guys recommend.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

-Blackadder- posted:

So I'm trying to pick up some Horror games for the Steam sale and was wondering what you other horror fan goons would recommend?

Here are a few games I'm currently looking at that I'd love to get the opinions on....

Monstrum
Murdered: Soul Suspect
Layers of Fear
Dreadout

I'd also like to hear about any other good horror games you guys recommend.
So my opinion to be taken with a grain of salt:

-Murdered is more of a crime mystery with some supernatural elements rather than a straight horror game. There's no real combat to talk about, just some stealth sections where you can element threats with a QTE. The story I thought was interesting and does leave you guessing for the most part, and there are a number of side stories you can uncover as you explore the town of Salem. There's also way too many collectibles that don't add much to the outside of some padding, and sadly there's next to no replay value in the game but it's still a good 6-8 hours long.

-Layers of Fear is a very nice looking walking simulator that mostly relays on using the 'change the environment when you're not looking at it anymore' idea to an extreme amount and has a bit of a weak story. It's also fairly short, though you kinda get all it has to offer in that very short amount of time and it then proceeds to re-use the same ideas over and over again to where you just assume that when you're greeted with a lock door and you're forced to turn around that something spooky will have changed behind you. Also the game is full of interactable furniture and drawers that hold absolutely nothing of interest or value.

-Dreadout is an indie attempt at making Fatal Frame in a different Asian culture and kinda failing to do so properly. The game doesn't run very well, you'll find that the first 10-15 minutes of the game is spent slowly walking through a shabby looking village, and once everything starts going you'll find the combat to be tedious (in the few places it's allowed) and that the overall experience is fairly straight forward and unrewarding. There are plenty of secret ghosts and things to be found, and there is some benefit to exploring and seeing the odd poo poo that can happen. I suppose though it's selling right now for $2, so you'll probably get your money's worth? Though the dev seems to continue being a bit skeezy as they really want to sexually the high school girls.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
https://kittyhorrorshow.itch.io/ Get yourself some of these. A lot of 'em are free, but rightly enough, Anatomy is 3bux, and is definitely worth it as an atmosphere-and-dread piece.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

DreadOut was a massive disappointment for me but I've heard the sequel is much better. Apparently it cuts out all the wandering and just gives you a mess of areas to fight special ghosts in.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Is Monstrum the one where it's a procedurally generated "escape the ship" hide and chase game where the monsters are random?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Too Shy Guy posted:

DreadOut was a massive disappointment for me but I've heard the sequel is much better. Apparently it cuts out all the wandering and just gives you a mess of areas to fight special ghosts in.

the sequel actually emphasizes the whole 'fight monsters and solve puzzles' aspect of the game in the form of a bunch of semi-isolated areas with all their own cool mythological ghosts and critters

it works pretty well

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Thanks for going into detail like this, it's quite helpful, would like to hear from others too.

Here's my thoughts...

Murdered: Soul Suspect - Yeah, I could tell it's not really a horror game, and more of a mystery adventure. But I really dug the first Let's Play video I watched of it and the graphics are good like you said. Plus a lot of very positive reviews.

Layers of Fear - This is one keeps bouncing back and forth in and out of my cart. I've read steam reviews, watched video reviews and let's plays, etc, and I can't decide. It looks atmospheric and great. Every time I manage to take it out of my cart it finds it's way back in after reading the 5k very positive reviews it has on steam. With those kinds of numbers I figure it must be doing something right and can't be that mediocre.

Dreadout - Sounds like I'll just pick up the sequel instead.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Is Monstrum the one where it's a procedurally generated "escape the ship" hide and chase game where the monsters are random?
Yeah, that sounds like the one I'm talking about.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Detention has been a surprising success and I hope that company churns out new games.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of, I wouldn't mind a pc release of the Fatal Frame trilogy.

My two cents, Layers of Fear isn't mediocre at all and using 'walking simulator' as a negative does it a big diservice. It's atmospheric as gently caress and well worth it.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 4, 2017

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

al-azad posted:

Detention has been a surprising success and I hope that company churns out new games.
I looked at that one a little bit given its popularity, but I generally can't really get into side scroller horror games. For me they lack the immersion of first person horror games.

Can you go into some detail what liked so much about it?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bogart posted:

https://kittyhorrorshow.itch.io/ Get yourself some of these. A lot of 'em are free, but rightly enough, Anatomy is 3bux, and is definitely worth it as an atmosphere-and-dread piece.

her stuff is so much better than aaa horror. helps that lo-fi has always worked better in horror whether games or film.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Definitely shell out for Anatomy! For the price of a pint you'll have a really fantastic horror experience, it's one of the more memorable horror games I've played.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

-Blackadder- posted:

I looked at that one a little bit given its popularity, but I generally can't really get into side scroller horror games. For me they lack the immersion of first person horror games.

Can you go into some detail what liked so much about it?

Spooky atmosphere, unique story, a setting English speakers don't really see (post Chinese Civil War Taiwan), modern Asian mythology, and some great set pieces. If you're looking for pure scares there are certainly more engrossing games but if what you want is like the equivalent of a horror themed short story focused on characters and their environment then here you go. I'd say it's closer to something like Fatal Frame than Silent Hill.

The remake of White Day is due this year and that game is similar but first person and set in Korea I believe.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Speaking of, I wouldn't mind a pc release of the Fatal Frame trilogy.

My two cents, Layers of Fear isn't mediocre at all and using 'walking simulator' as a negative does it a big diservice. It's atmospheric as gently caress and well worth it.
Sadly I doubt Tecmo is going to care about PC ports unless it's got bouncing tits, carbon copies of musou titles, or overly expensive strategy titles based around Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

And I didn't mean walking simulator in a negative sense; there's plenty of good walking simulators. But it's hard to get past the fact that Layers of Fears is just walking from one room to another, with no puzzles or threats, while attempting to tell a story as you walk from one point to another. Sure there's atmosphere but it's still got the earmarks of being a walking simulator, and there's nothing wrong with that.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

discworld is all I read posted:

Sadly I doubt Tecmo is going to care about PC ports unless it's got bouncing tits, carbon copies of musou titles, or overly expensive strategy titles based around Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

Didn't Nintendo buy the franchise or was that just a time limited license? I thought that was why Fatal Frame 5, the remake of 2 and that weird 3DS spinoff were on Nintendo consoles exclusively.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

john wolfe on youtube did a playthrough of layers of fear and pretty much referred to it as a 'house of horrors' amusement park thing where mostly all you do is walk around and watch as things happen around you. not necessarily a bad thing offhand, but for some it's going to wear thin. especially since that's what the game does 100% of the time. it has good atmosphere but i'd be hard-pressed to ever want to play it myself or watch it again after seeing it once.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

catlord posted:

Didn't Nintendo buy the franchise or was that just a time limited license? I thought that was why Fatal Frame 5, the remake of 2 and that weird 3DS spinoff were on Nintendo consoles exclusively.

Yeah, I'm curious myself what the technicals of the license Nintendo has. If it's full IP, then yeah we arent ever seeing Fatal Frame have a shot :(

Kinda lovely them and Silent Hill had to suffer the fates they did.

About layers of fear, I dont know, I play it and the dlc every so often, I just enjoy what it does. Better than the hide and seek genre of horror games. Then again I loved Vanishing of Ethan Carter and What Happened to Edith Fintch, while not really horror it is a type of game I personally love.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jul 4, 2017

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I'm playing the enhanced version of system shock that was put out for a buck fifty during the summer sale and I'm impressed at how clever it is for a DOOM-era shooter. Your main character isn't some badass, he's just some hacker dude who helped start this mess, and that's represented by how if you go guns blazing the cyborgs and mutants tear you up. You have to peek around corners and pick them off. The sound changing in regard to the situation you're in is cool too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

hostess with the Moltres posted:

I'm playing the enhanced version of system shock that was put out for a buck fifty during the summer sale and I'm impressed at how clever it is for a DOOM-era shooter. Your main character isn't some badass, he's just some hacker dude who helped start this mess, and that's represented by how if you go guns blazing the cyborgs and mutants tear you up. You have to peek around corners and pick them off. The sound changing in regard to the situation you're in is cool too.

I'm doing the exact same and having a similar experience. It feels like a "kitchen sink" design where they threw every idea into a pot and while it doesn't all taste good it's fascinating playing around with it. Like having mods that give you eyes in the back of your head and everything being tied to this obtuse UI system that the game will happily gently caress with based on your mentality. Can't wait for the remake.