Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ANGRYGREEK posted:

(also, he might block that path for someone who isn't that well off and doesn't need it, presumably)

I've thought about this; I write music for clients on the side of my regular job, and if I won a poo poo ton of money, I'd continue to do that, though from a custom built, fancy home studio. While that might be taking attention or business away from up and coming artists, I don't think the market is that saturated. And if I ever felt like I WAS taking away from someone and felt bad about it, I'd just write music for myself, release it on iTunes, blah blah, blah for the rest of my working life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

loquacius posted:

This is pretty much what I was getting at when I said "get a career"

If you don't need your job to survive, and have the necessary capital to start your own business, your options really open up w/r/t having a job you actually enjoy. You don't have to join the accounts receivable department, just, gently caress, man, have something you do that you can truthfully use as your answer when your OKCupid date asks "so what do you do for a living?"

Would perpetually taking classes at Stanford get lumped in with playing video games all day?

(I'd do that too, just not every day)

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug
Lotto-goon, either pick a hobby that you enjoy or are interested in and set up a gig doing that or go back to school for a subject you find interesting. If nothing else you will have an entertaining way to pass the time that lets you better yourself and still gives you goals to accomplish despite having a safety net.

And in the relationship side you have some interesting career/specialty and no longer look like you are aren't going anywhere. When it comes up how you are making a living as an artisanal cheese maker or what kind of loans you have to pay for a PhD in stained glass artistry, just say you are independently wealthy enough to live while pursuing <activity>. If you are living modestly they probably aren't going to freak out over that.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

lottery goon cut off your dick

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

sugar free jazz posted:

harsh but fair

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

sugar free jazz posted:

It is the only way.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Theophany posted:

It is the only way.

while you idiot bros are out wasting your time shotgunning beers, having sex with girls, and high-fiving each other, I will be spending all of my time edifying myself with the highest culture imported directly from glorious Nippon

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If you're that rich and you don't buy a fleet of blimps outfitted with 19th century cannons and hold the skies of Ney York ransom, then I just don't even know....

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

loquacius posted:

while you idiot bros are out wasting your time shotgunning beers, having sex with girls, and high-fiving each other, I will be spending all of my time edifying myself with the highest culture imported directly from glorious Nippon

Solice Kirsk posted:

If you're that rich and you don't buy a fleet of blimps outfitted with 19th century cannons and hold the skies of Ney York ransom, then I just don't even know....

:frogon:

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
I'd like to modify my previous advice and recommend that richgoon become the world's leading hentai author/artist I apologise for my previous oversight god bless

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

grumplestiltzkin posted:

I'd like to modify my previous advice and recommend that richgoon become the world's leading hentai author/artist I apologise for my previous oversight god bless

We need a snappier name for that job. Maybe something that combines "author/artist" into some kind of catchy portmanteau? I dunno, I'm no good with words.

quote:

My confession is that I act dumber than I am to help blend in with normal people.

I was in the gifted program in school, got top grades in all my classes, and would have been valedictorian if not for the pesky fact that you needed to do activities or sports to be ranked really high. Even then I knew I was above that stuff, so I devoted my free time to better pursuits.

College was tough. So much focus is on socializing and being cool, so it's no wonder I ended up dropping out after a semester. No great loss. I'm a doctor for my parents now - they both have some medical issues and I help take care of the house while they're working, plus help organize their pills. That's right, I'm doing poo poo that takes other people 8+ years to learn.

Since then I've realized more and more how far above the average I am. My parents had someone over to fix the toilet. Paid them a lot of money to replace some device in the toilet. After he left, I spent the night taking the toilet apart and rebuilding it. I could have fixed it for free. This happens almost daily. I go to McDonald's for lunch and watch - I could cook as good as them. Probably even better since I rarely see them spice the food.

Movies and TV - same thing. I hate what the Marvel movies have become - dumbed down for the average idiot and filled with bullshit emotions and love stories. Give me obscure characters and heavy plotlines (maybe Spider-man kills someone by accident, and it's up to D-Man and Scarlet Spider to bring him in???) instead of cotton candy fluff. Not to use the tired "anime is better" approach, but google One Piece. That's an anime with some heavy poo poo, good characters, and awesome action. But even that, I could do better.

My parents are dumbshit liberals and constantly arguing politics with me. Which just further proves my point. This new healthcare plan, which is amazingly good, is somehow bad to them. Yeah, some freeloaders will lose healthcare, but they can get a job or something. It's not my concern. The bottom line is more money for taxpayers and better costs for guys like me, who do their fair share.

This is a bit heavy-handed and on-the-nose for an "I am so dumb but I think I am so great" confession, but we haven't had one of those for a while so it's allowed

quote:

I'm nearly 800 lbs and confined solely to my bed and bedroom at this point. I have a caretaker who comes once a week and brings me food, cleans me, and helps with things like taking out the garbage and paying bills. I was not always this pathetic.

I was a normal active kid, but one day I was screwing around and ended up electrocuting myself on a fence. I spent some time in the hospital and my parents, concerned about my well being, greatly cut off my outside time. I started putting on weight then, becoming a fat indoor kid. It continued ballooning up and in college, I was already around 300 lbs. I put on the freshman 15, plus an additional 75.

I could live like that, but I had issues finding a job after college and ate to cope with the stress. I eventually found a job which didn't involve leaving the house, it was all remote working. I started snacking a lot during working hours while reducing my movement to almost nothing. Weight just exploded from there, no excuses for it.

I know that, when I die, they'll have to remove me from the house with a forklift through the wall. Or maybe they'll just slice me up on my bed and ship me out in pieces. I don't care either way. I have a lot of health problems so I'm thinking I've got another decade or so on this gay Earth, anyhow.

you sound super depressed and you are in a literal rut (just guessing at the state of your bed)

You seem to be relatively well-off; I'd consider seeking medical help. I'm not sure how this would work -- maybe they'd just keep you on a strict diet until you're mobile enough to leave your house; maybe they'd do the forklift thing and cart you off to a physical therapy clinic. I don't do this stuff for a living. But you gotta do something. You have resources for it. And honestly going into debt would probably be a better idea for you than resigning yourself to waiting for death.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
are you even able to move at 800lbs to get a job that isn't on a tv show?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
tenticlist?

Fatgoon. Man just start one day at a time. lift a water jug or two and get your heart rate up for a bit. hell even if you cant get up... baby steps.

that being said, gotta figure out why you are content to sit in a puddle and first.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

loquacius posted:

We need a snappier name for that job. Maybe something that combines "author/artist" into some kind of catchy portmanteau?
Oh, well, that's obvious. The portmanteau would be 'autist'.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Jim Barris posted:

Oh, well, that's obvious. The portmanteau would be 'autist'.

:thejoke:

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

sugar free jazz posted:

omg, that's like, so derivative.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Lottogoon:. I'm in a similar situation and my advice would be to sit down and have an honest conversation with yourself about what you want. You have the opportunity to do whatever you want, figure out what that is and do it. If it's volunteering at a library a few times a week great.

Find some new hobbies too. Hell I will always suggest joining a gym and getting swole. You have the money for a good trainer to get you there and exercising does make you feel better. It could even help with finding a relationship. Girls like to pretend they aren't shallow but if given a choice between a guy that works out and one that doesn't they would choose the fit, muscular guy.

Don't be afraid to change things up. If you're getting tired volunteering at the library try something else. Go to a local college and take a class or try something new you've never done before.

The key to living when you don't have to worry about getting a job is getting out of the house and doing something, anything. Sitting at home watching anime, playing video games, and jerking off is fun for a while but if you don't push yourself to do new things you'll wind up like 800 lb goon. Or maybe that's what you want to strive for. I don't loving know.

Just above all else be yourself, whatever that is.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

limp_cheese posted:

Lottogoon:. I'm in a similar situation and my advice would be to sit down and have an honest conversation with yourself about what you want. You have the opportunity to do whatever you want, figure out what that is and do it. If it's volunteering at a library a few times a week great.

Find some new hobbies too. Hell I will always suggest joining a gym and getting swole. You have the money for a good trainer to get you there and exercising does make you feel better. It could even help with finding a relationship. Girls like to pretend they aren't shallow but if given a choice between a guy that works out and one that doesn't they would choose the fit, muscular guy.

Don't be afraid to change things up. If you're getting tired volunteering at the library try something else. Go to a local college and take a class or try something new you've never done before.

The key to living when you don't have to worry about getting a job is getting out of the house and doing something, anything. Sitting at home watching anime, playing video games, and jerking off is fun for a while but if you don't push yourself to do new things you'll wind up like 800 lb goon. Or maybe that's what you want to strive for. I don't loving know.

Just above all else be yourself, whatever that is.

Or, fleet of blimps and become a sky pirate. I'm just saying.

edit:
Just think about it. You could the commander of the feared Sky Snakes Blimp Brigade. If I wasn't at work I would design the logo and everything for you. Maybe when I get home if I have time before going out tonight.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jul 3, 2017

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

limp_cheese posted:

Lottogoon:. I'm in a similar situation

paypal me seven thousand dollars or I won't believe you

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Or, fleet of blimps and become a sky pirate. I'm just saying.

edit:
Just think about it. You could the commander of the feared Sky Snakes Blimp Brigade. If I wasn't at work I would design the logo and everything for you. Maybe when I get home if I have time before going out tonight.

If that makes him happy then he should do it. Hell, I would join the crew to go on swash buckling adventures in the skies of New York. Would give me the kick in the rear end I need to finally get that eye patch.

SciFiDownBeat posted:

paypal me seven thousand dollars or I won't believe you

No.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

limp_cheese posted:

If that makes him happy then he should do it. Hell, I would join the crew to go on swash buckling adventures in the skies of New York. Would give me the kick in the rear end I need to finally get that eye patch.

PM me friends if this is going to happen please. i would also like an eyepatch

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

sneakyfrog posted:

PM me friends if this is going to happen please. i would also like an eyepatch

Are you actually missing an eye? There will be no fakers in this pirate army. You wear an eyeypatch you have to be missing an eye. That's the price to join me crew.

We'll be the toughest pirate army the skies have ever seen. At least until we run into something that requires depth perception.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

limp_cheese posted:

Are you actually missing an eye? There will be no fakers in this pirate army. You wear an eyeypatch you have to be missing an eye. That's the price to join me crew.

We'll be the toughest pirate army the skies have ever seen. At least until we run into something that requires depth perception.

no no fake eyepatches. its eyeworthy.. my eye on the right sucks anyways.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

limp_cheese posted:

what if somebody joins and their eye gets stabbed, but not, like, stabbed all the way OUT?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SniperWoreConverse posted:

what if somebody joins and their eye gets stabbed, but not, like, stabbed all the way OUT?

Does it still function as an eye? I feel like if it's blinded then an eye patch is acceptable. But it can't have a cool skull or decoration on it. That is reserved for actual eyeball-less sockets.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I have a feeling peg legs are going to be far more common if this is the primary place the pirate fleet is drawing on for members.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

sneakyfrog posted:

no no fake eyepatches. its eyeworthy.. my eye on the right sucks anyways.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

That's why we have ye olde melon baller. Scoop that poo poo out and throw a shot of rum in the socket. After that you're part of me crew.

Wish I could find the clip from American Dad where Jack takes a shot of whiskey in the eye socket.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

lemon-lyme disease posted:

I have a feeling peg legs are going to be far more common if this is the primary place the pirate fleet is drawing on for members.

That's not wood you're tapping on, matey.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Richgoon do what you want. If what you want happens to be talking about anime in the Trump's fine thread then who am I to judge.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Derf a Herf posted:

I believe I've been reincarnated dozens of times and may, in fact, be immortal.

That's... uh... not how reincarnation works.

Herf a Derf posted:

I won a pretty sizable amount in the lottery a few years ago, and after taxes and taking the lump sum I ended up with a cool $113 million dollars to my name.
I told the girl in the 10 month relationship about the money and that's the reason we broke up.

Too Close to the Sun.

Sheldon posted:

My confession is that I act dumber than I am to help blend in with normal people.

MY IQ IS 572, HOW COME EVERYONE HATES ME????

Hubert posted:

I'm nearly 800 lbs

TCttS.

proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!
Rich goon, just tell your dates that you work in investing. Because that is how you get your money. Then do whatever the gently caress you want with your time.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

proctorbot posted:

Rich goon, just tell your dates that you work in investing. Because that is how you get your money. Then do whatever the gently caress you want with your time.

This.

Richgoon, don't listen to anyone telling you not to coast through life, half of those fuckers would coast in a heartbeat if they thought they could get away with it. Coast like a motherfucker.

Also consider that blimp plan that's good poo poo

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Richgoon, don't listen to anyone telling you not to coast through life, half of those fuckers would coast in a heartbeat if they thought they could get away with it. Coast like a motherfucker.

This guy gets it.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Jew it to it! posted:

That's not wood you're tapping on, matey.

Way to ruin the surprise. Also, diabetes-related foot loss is, I assume, serious business, that's all.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

This.

I've talked about this a bunch of times by now, but I once had a job where I was paid way too much money to do basically nothing and I liked it for a while but it eventually turned me super depressed

I spent my whole life from age 5 to age 18 being told how smart I was and then had a very expensive college education that involved me becoming really insecure about how smart I actually was in the scheme of things, though, plus I have an American work ethic, so I might be particularly susceptible to worrying about wasting my life :shrug:

Anyway who's ready for a blast from the past

quote:

I did much of the CGI for the smash hit song "I'm Blue" by Eiffel 65. I have been haunted by my success ever since and have never had a chance to reach those heights again.

I go down the street in my town and people recognize me and starting singing the song and doing the dances I created in that music video. The aliens have won me many awards for design which I keep in my house, and each day I pass by them and stare. My wife will usually come up to me then and rub my shoulders and tell me how amazing a man I am for giving us this great life from my hard work on that music video. My wonderful children hug me each morning and say they hope to grow up as great as I am.

And although I have been successful, with millions of dollars, fame around the world, a beautiful super model wife, amazing children who are geniuses and amazing at sports, and a town which loves me and has tried to vote me mayor many times. I do not need to work, but I wish I could share my gift and get 1/100th of the success I got for "I'm Blue". Millions of youtube hits, millions of CDs sold, millions of happy fans and so many people inspired by my creation. We were bigger than the Matrix for a bit - doing alien Kung Fu before them and exploring alien life long before Avatar decided to rip off my character designs. I have met with the great leaders of the world, all of whom loved my aliens and understood the message of love and peace they brought.

holy poo poo we've got a celebrity confessor in the house :eyepop:

quote:

Sorry if all of this is really stream-of-consciousness. I don't really know where I'm going with this fesh but I feel like doing this is the next best thing to actual therapy (which I have gotten in the past and currently cannot afford).

I was sexually abused as a child. And when I say that, I don't mean someone put their hand down my pants a couple times, or told me to touch their genitals. I was one of the subjects of a Sicilian child pornography ring in the early 2000s. I'd had sex with men, women, and children over 40 times by the time I was 10 years old. I'm 25 now. When I went to therapy for it, I was diagnosed with PTSD, anxiety, and a mild case of autism (which should surprise nobody considering that I post on SA). It's given me a really hosed up sex drive, but it hasn't caused me to become a sex weird, which is kinda nice. A lot of folks I know who have gone through some similar situations have resulted in... very strange things in the bedroom.

My wife knows, and she's known for years. Our relationship is pretty healthy - we love and care for each other and all that. I often worry that she thinks less of me though, because I have some weird hangups (for instance I get really nervous around women who are aged 30 to 40 and children make me EXTREMELY uncomfortable). She insists it's not a problem for her and has never been upset about it, but I'm a paranoid idiot anyways. I will admit to myself that I'm much better than I used to be - when I first moved in with her, I was a wreck. I could barely handle going outside for more than an hour at a time once I stopped disassociating (something I was forcing myself to do so I could handle college), but nowadays I can handle just about any social function as long as it doesn't go on for more than five hours.

I've pretty much spent my entire life piecing together how to be a human being from the actions and habits of other people. Pretty much all of my public outward behavior is aped from movies, a lot of who I am right now is a combination of Tony Stark's charisma and Steve Rogers' compassion. It works out very well - it makes me approachable and seemingly trustworthy, and it's the basis the majority of my working relationships are founded on. People often come to me for advice and guidance because I appear to be able to handle any situation. In reality I loving hate it though, because it's not me. The real me is timid and shy and usually just wants to be left alone most of the time.

I realize now that I've just been rambling for three paragraphs, so I'm going to wrap it up. Questions and advice are welcome. I'd like to give a big thank-you to loquacius and H.H for running these threads. Even though a good portion of them are extreme shitposts, knowing that I'd be able to roll in and drop my hosed up life story at any time has been oddly comforting.

Okay, well, I appreciate the praise, but I assure you that if you have actual serious problems, this thread is not the next best thing to therapy. I spend more time making fun of confessors than actually giving them advice, and this last page is mostly pirate jokes. We are totally out of our league with respect to handling a story like this.

Honestly, I hate to drive away traffic, but there's an equivalent to this thread in E/N that is slightly less geared toward wacky stories of varying veracity and slightly geared more towards people dropping big wordbombs about their emotional issues. If you can't go to therapy right now for financial reasons, and if you can't make an E/N post connected to your actual account, maybe try that thread?

In terms of actual advice, you seem to be doing everything you really can, unless there are major details you're leaving out. I'd tell you to make sure you go back to therapy as soon as it's feasible, but you seem to know to do that already.

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

maskenfreiheit posted:

Would perpetually taking classes at Stanford get lumped in with playing video games all day?

(I'd do that too, just not every day)

Knew 3 electrical engineering grad students who took >10 years to get their degree when i went to school there

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

loquacius posted:

I've talked about this a bunch of times by now, but I once had a job where I was paid way too much money to do basically nothing and I liked it for a while but it eventually turned me super depressed

I spent my whole life from age 5 to age 18 being told how smart I was and then had a very expensive college education that involved me becoming really insecure about how smart I actually was in the scheme of things, though, plus I have an American work ethic, so I might be particularly susceptible to worrying about wasting my life :shrug:

I was in a similar situation for a while and yeah, it wasn't exactly emotionally fulfilling - I guess what I take issue with is the assumption that the dude is wasting his life because he doesn't have a Real Job (tm). gently caress that noise. Dude's working at a library, he probably likes books, for all I know he's reading all the time and expanding his mind and poo poo. You can have a decent life that doesn't involve a paycheck, man.

In conclusion: gently caress the system, guillotine the bourgeoisie, and Bernie would have won

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

curufinor posted:

Knew 3 electrical engineering grad students who took >10 years to get their degree when i went to school there

Yeah I actually did the phd thing for a while, but I prefer breadth over depth... I'd love to just take 2 classes a semester for a while and work on projects in the meantime

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Durrrr posted:

I did much of the CGI for the smash hit song "I'm Blue" by Eiffel 65. I have been haunted by my success ever since and have never had a chance to reach those heights again.

I go down the street in my town and people recognize me and starting singing the song and doing the dances I created in that music video. The aliens have won me many awards for design which I keep in my house, and each day I pass by them and stare. My wife will usually come up to me then and rub my shoulders and tell me how amazing a man I am for giving us this great life from my hard work on that music video. My wonderful children hug me each morning and say they hope to grow up as great as I am.

Obviously fake, but you didn't even pick a good example. "I'm Blue" is a cool song but it topped out at 6 on Billboard. And the music video was rated the 35th worst ever.

http://www.nme.com/list/50-worst-music-videos-ever-1371

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

loquacius posted:

I spent 5-18 being told I was a shiftless delinquent, college was a big (positive) change and stayed in academia way too long because of it.

I'd actually kill for a do nothing desk job... I'm really into digital art (weird vaporwave databending) and cryptography right now, both of which you can easily self teach in a cubicle.