Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

maskenfreiheit posted:

NSA AGENT: Well, you'd be working on the cutting edge. You'd be exposed to the kind of dank memes that you wouldn't see anywhere else - because we've classified them.

https://youtu.be/lzAuXuxD0Oo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

this song really speaks to me

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

reminds me of how a customer at $av_vendor was pissed off when we told them that we wouldn't give them follow the sun support for their inability to understand that you don't go and update the software across the board. that said, the software was poo poo but still you don't go deploying crap without testing how it'll affect things

these idiots installed the av software on loving medical devices and blindly updated the version

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Lain Iwakura posted:

reminds me of how a customer at $av_vendor was pissed off when we told them that we wouldn't give them follow the sun support for their inability to understand that you don't go and update the software across the board. that said, the software was poo poo but still you don't go deploying crap without testing how it'll affect things

these idiots installed the av software on loving medical devices and blindly updated the version

for further context on that chat snippet:
- the software they are talking to the support engineering team for is the 5 year old version too
- the bug they have was fixed in an update 4 years ago
- they claim it would be too hard to update all 5000 of their endpoints to a new version, but
- it is impossible to fix this, even with a custom patch, without updating all the endpoints to a new version, because the bug exists both client and server side

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

fishmech posted:

- the software they are talking to the support engineering team for is the 5 year old version too
- they claim it would be too hard to update all 5000 of their endpoints to a new version, but
- it is impossible to fix this, even with a custom patch, without updating all the endpoints to a new version, because the bug exists both client and server side

"eat poo poo"

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

fishmech posted:

My company provides a solution for a large online retailer that owns half of Seattle, and they wanted to deploy a newer physical product. So they tested the product on the client side and it didn't work! This was because their server software was out of date.
Well, they refused to update the software due to 'downtime', even though we said we would do the update overnight or any other time they chose. We are talking about maybe 30 minutes max, and certainly nothing mission critical.
Instead, they demanded every version of software that had been released for the newer product so that they could test every combination and try and make something work.
Engineering back east told them to gently caress off. Locally, they asked me and I said 'lol no'. This is a huge account so eventually they found someone to send them the files, and somehow killed the product.
They had to update anyway.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
just lol if you can't do zero-downtime updates

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Peachfart posted:

My company provides a solution for a large online retailer that owns half of Seattle, and they wanted to deploy a newer physical product. So they tested the product on the client side and it didn't work! This was because their server software was out of date.
Well, they refused to update the software due to 'downtime', even though we said we would do the update overnight or any other time they chose. We are talking about maybe 30 minutes max, and certainly nothing mission critical.
Instead, they demanded every version of software that had been released for the newer product so that they could test every combination and try and make something work.
Engineering back east told them to gently caress off. Locally, they asked me and I said 'lol no'. This is a huge account so eventually they found someone to send them the files, and somehow killed the product.
They had to update anyway.

theres something to be said for letting customers go with their plan that won't work after explaining why it won't work and that it'll break in this way

that way when they do it they'll actually believe you next time

:lol:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

Jabor posted:

just lol if you can't do zero-downtime updates

let's talk about ics then. you cannot believe the nightmares that come with it

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

pseudorandom name posted:

they're not atheists, just last week the Russian Orthodox Church joined the government in condemning Telegram

it was a Bloom County reference :sigh:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

"hospital" and "end of life" in the same sentence :ohdear:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

theres something to be said for letting customers go with their plan that won't work after explaining why it won't work and that it'll break in this way

that way when they do it they'll actually believe you next time

:lol:

or they'll blame you for it not working and demand that you make it work i mean why didn't you make it work what are we even paying you for???

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

ate all the Oreos posted:

or they'll blame you for it not working and demand that you make it work i mean why didn't you make it work what are we even paying you for???

I'm pretty sure this is what ended up happening. Luckily, after they broke the stuff and I had already said no, they went through sales to 'resolve the issue' which is good since I would have laughed at them and probably gotten fired.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The death panels are real! :freep:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hmm slight chance I might be going to def con after all

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I only do palliative software maintenance

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

sure they're too lazy to update software but they'll totally go to the effort to replace us with another vendor if we tell them to patch poo poo - sales :downs:

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Munkeymon posted:

sure they're too lazy to update software but they'll totally go to the effort to replace us with another vendor if we tell them to patch poo poo - sales :downs:

In my experience spite always trumps sense, and I've seen multiple CTOs make sweeping decisions (like dumping a service or platform) even though the workload would be twice that of what they weren't willing to do in the first place.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

http://www.northropgrumman.com/Capabilities/Cybersecurity/Pages/default.aspx

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 3, 2017

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

fully on the spectrum cyber

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
Is it called cyber because trump called it cyber in a debate? So now they have to adjust their marketing?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

French Canadian posted:

Is it called cyber because trump called it cyber in a debate? So now they have to adjust their marketing?

yeah trump constantly refers to itsec and everything related with an umbrella term "the cyber"

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I only do palliative software maintenance

As a Mozilla dev I,

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spankmeister posted:

As a Mozilla dev I,

as a thundeahahhahahaha

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

French Canadian posted:

sadly no, the MIC has been calling it that for a decade or so because "cyber" sounds cooler to people with stars or stripes on their shoulders than "information"

compare "information security" or "information warfare" with "cyber security" or "cyber warfare"

also hi5 if you have cyber to wizard installed

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

working in the government space has taught me to just embrace cyber because then people will at least have a vague idea of what you're talking about

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

http://www.zdnet.com/article/secure-pc-self-destruct-data-tampered-with/

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Wish your posting rig would self destruct

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

spankmeister posted:

Wish your posting rig would self destruct

its close, has been rattling for a while now

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

orwl? yarwl

(nowcry)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

sadly no, the MIC has been calling it that for a decade or so because "cyber" sounds cooler to people with stars or stripes on their shoulders than "information"

compare "information security" or "information warfare" with "cyber security" or "cyber warfare"

some of the senile flag officers and senior executives of the defense and intelligence organizations think "information operations" has to do with propaganda and "cyber operations" is very definitely computers so it's really more of an anti age-discrimination thing

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

im the thought in "And thought the PC boasts temperature monitoring and side-channel attack protection, it doesn't specify exactly how."

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have a friend in public sector strategic consulting who says the difference between "infosec" and "cyber" in his materials is 5 speaking engagements and $250K/year.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Indeed, and I know cyber "whatever" has been around forever but I am unaware of when just "cyber" became a term. It's like saying "I like mountain" and forgetting to add "climbing", "biking" or "making GBS threads".

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

French Canadian posted:

Indeed, and I know cyber "whatever" has been around forever but I am unaware of when just "cyber" became a term. It's like saying "I like mountain" and forgetting to add "climbing", "biking" or "making GBS threads".

so you have not heard a word uttered out loud by new american president who honest to god is worse at english than me, english as a fourth language foreigner with combined 4 months of residence in an englisn speaking country in my entire lifetime

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

people were offering to cyber on ICQ in 1997

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

French Canadian posted:

you mean when did cyber start meaning IT and not chat room sex

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

spankmeister posted:

Hmm slight chance I might be going to def con after all

we should have a defcon goon meet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

cinci zoo sniper posted:

so you have not heard a word uttered out loud by new american president who honest to god is worse at english than me, english as a fourth language foreigner with combined 4 months of residence in an englisn speaking country in my entire lifetime

nobody cybers better than him

• Locked thread