Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It terms of marketing and trying to establish themselves within the world of TV, it sort of makes sense why they did it. At least with Arrested Development, you could watch the whole series by letting it play. MST3K season 11 is under a separate entry from the rest of the show.

I can't believe how soon I get to see the live show! In the not too distant future, next Thursday, A.D....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

tarlibone posted:

Finally finished the season last night.
I have one more episode to go, but I can already tell The Christmas That Almost Wasn't had the best host segment of the season.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

ringu0 posted:

I have one more episode to go, but I can already tell The Christmas That Almost Wasn't had the best host segment of the season.

Man, that movie...

That whole movie seemed to me like some movie producer had a terrible idea that sounded good when he wrote it down, probably because he'd passed out in a drunken stupor and was still drunk when he woke up from a bad dream, at which point he grabbed a pencil and paper and wrote down "lawyer saves Christmas by using legal bureaucracy." (Hey, this producer may think of bad ideas for movies, but he can spell very well when drunk.)

Then, on a bet he couldn't afford to lose, he had to make that movie. And the film we saw was the result. The whole time I watched it, I couldn't stop thinking, "Why is this movie? Why is it?"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

tarlibone posted:

Man, that movie...

That whole movie seemed to me like some movie producer had a terrible idea that sounded good when he wrote it down, probably because he'd passed out in a drunken stupor and was still drunk when he woke up from a bad dream, at which point he grabbed a pencil and paper and wrote down "lawyer saves Christmas by using legal bureaucracy." (Hey, this producer may think of bad ideas for movies, but he can spell very well when drunk.)

Then, on a bet he couldn't afford to lose, he had to make that movie. And the film we saw was the result. The whole time I watched it, I couldn't stop thinking, "Why is this movie? Why is it?"

I've said it before, but it feels to me like an alien whose only experience of Earth was through broadcasts of schmaltzy Christmas specials decided to try penning one, and then pod person-ed his way into an Italian guy to write and act in the movie. It has all the right notes, but the instrument is horribly, horribly out of tune.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

tarlibone posted:

Man, that movie...

I looked it up on wikipedia, and apparently The Christmas That Almost Wasn't is a lovechild of Sam Whipple (original book and movie adaptation) and Phineas Prune (directing). When both writer and director also co-star in the movie they're making, yeah, it's a hallmark of an MST3K movie.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo

Bicyclops posted:

I've said it before, but it feels to me like an alien whose only experience of Earth was through broadcasts of schmaltzy Christmas specials decided to try penning one, and then pod person-ed his way into an Italian guy to write and act in the movie. It has all the right notes, but the instrument is horribly, horribly out of tune.

?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

*wacky music playing as chaos descends on the set*

Whipple, no!!

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Bicyclops posted:

*wacky music playing as chaos descends on the set*

Whipple, no!!

But he's just a babbbyyyyyyyyy!

Gods that episode is creepy

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
Trumpy, you can do stupid things!!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

tarlibone posted:

Man, that movie...

Of all things, the part that somehow stuck out to me as the least plausible aspect of the movie was this: The entire matter of north pole foreclosure was over a sum of money that amounted to a few days' wages at a department store. You'd think someone in the world would have been willing to spot Santa a few c-notes until January.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

My favorite episodes of the Netflix series are right in a row: Time Travelers (brilliant host segment where Joel makes a cameo as "Larry"), Avalanche (I'm a huge sucker for 70s disaster movies), and The Beast of Hollow Mountain (the running Blazing Saddles theme song gag absolutely slays me and there are two really strong host segments: Tom's fashion show and Crow and Tom freaking everyone out by re-enacting the mysterious festival dancing).

I give an honorable mention to The Land That Time Forgot. I want to like Starcrash more than I do but it really suffers too much under the weight of the hideously bad acting. The riffs can help some movies rise above bad acting, but Starcrash is not one of those. (A futuristic robot with a terrible southern drawl? REALLY?!?)

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I don't know why Starcrash doesn't work for me as an episode. The movie is just loving exhausting with all the constant insanity that it throws at you. I would have thought that was a good thing, but it just doesn't work for me, neither as a good-bad movie or the riffing for it (though, there's some great gems in there).

I love the back half of the season, starting with the Herc movie.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Clouseau posted:

I don't know why Starcrash doesn't work for me as an episode. The movie is just loving exhausting with all the constant insanity that it throws at you. I would have thought that was a good thing, but it just doesn't work for me, neither as a good-bad movie or the riffing for it (though, there's some great gems in there).

I think the problem with Starcrash is that the movie itself manages to completely overshadow the riffs. Just about the only riff I even remember is the one that's a full song. The movie is SO weird and SO bad that riffs have no power over it.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
On paper it's the perfect MST3K fodder though. An italian star wars ripoff made with 5% the budget, a robot with a southern accent, a mincing villain, a hero who constantly receives brand new superpowers that we've never heard of, Christopher Plummer, and David loving Hasselhoff!!!

I was really looking forward to seeing it, and boy oh boy was it a bummer.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

tarlibone posted:

The Nostradamus of riffs.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
My family has a history of riffing every Christmas classic ever, so The Christmas That Almost Wasn't felt particularly homey. It was like 5 cliche ridden Christmas movies in one, all done terribly.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Starcrash is too slow paced to be as incoherent as it is. I'm a sucker for late-70s, immediately-post-Star Wars space opera aesthetics, but with that and Caroline Munro it's still just tedious.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I thought Starcrash was incredible. That five minute long fighter takeoff sequence was the 2001 monolith opening of bad scifi.

Powered Descent posted:

I think the problem with Starcrash is that the movie itself manages to completely overshadow the riffs. Just about the only riff I even remember is the one that's a full song. The movie is SO weird and SO bad that riffs have no power over it.

I thought that add to the, uh, "charm", such as it is. Sometimes the badness transcends mere mortals and you can only witness, pardner!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Powered Descent posted:

Of all things, the part that somehow stuck out to me as the least plausible aspect of the movie was this: The entire matter of north pole foreclosure was over a sum of money that amounted to a few days' wages at a department store. You'd think someone in the world would have been willing to spot Santa a few c-notes until January.

I gave up on plausibility early on; this aspect didn't even register for me because I was already aghast at the amount of disbelief they needed me to suspend. To wit:

• Random lawyer sees a dude and almost immediately recognizes him as Santa Claus. Note: I'm assuming this is a world where Santa's existence is undisputed, so it's not the fact that it's Santa, it's the fact that he immediately recognizes him and launches into a conversation like they're old friends--which they're not because Santa has to prove who he is after he's already convinced the guy.
  • The guy misspelled a word in a letter to Santa, and not only does he remember doing it, he remembers the exact spelling error he made as a child.
  • "Let's head up to the North Pole real quick." "OK, sure." You know, in every other film where someone has to go up there, it's a huge deal that's met with disbelief. Here, I'm half surprised that Counselor Lawyerman didn't offer to drive him up there in his car--they act like it's just three blocks away.
  • The legal justification for the foreclosure sounded really iffy to me.
  • Just how does the landlord simply pop in? It's cool that he's there to disturb dinner on purpose--he's an rear end in a top hat, I get it. But does literally everybody in the world of this movie live a 10-minute walk from Santa's workshop??

But now that you've mentioned it... yes, it is equally absurd that the amount of money needed to solve the crisis amounted to a few day's wages at a department store. Also absurd: how does this lawyer not have any money at all? He has an office and a safe and good clothes and extra money for decorations... but no money at all? Really?

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
For as much as I love this season, Starcrash was definitely the most difficult watch for me. Not sure if it was the movie or the jokes or what, but none of it really worked.

dirksteadfast posted:

My family has a history of riffing every Christmas classic ever, so The Christmas That Almost Wasn't felt particularly homey. It was like 5 cliche ridden Christmas movies in one, all done terribly.

The Christmas That Almost Wasn't was one of our family's yearly Christmas watches. I think my mom saw it in the movies as a kid and tracked down a VHS copy when I was small. The Prune song and a few assorted quotes from it were catchphrases around our home. Didn't diminish my enjoyment of the MST treatment, but I could totally watch it on its own.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Bicyclops posted:

I can't believe how soon I get to see the live show! In the not too distant future, next Thursday, A.D....

Ditto. Taking the kids along, too! It's important to start educating them early.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Gaspy Conana posted:

For as much as I love this season, Starcrash was definitely the most difficult watch for me. Not sure if it was the movie or the jokes or what, but none of it really worked.

I enjoyed Starcrash, although I can't say it was particularly memorable. But then I remember probably as much from it as most of the other episodes, and more than some. And the robot's accent in particular is just so over-the-top WTF that I couldn't help but enjoy it, and I found myself wishing he were in it more, and I was actually disappointed when he was killed, and relieved when they fixed him. I was watching the whole thing with dumbfounded bemusement and I'm not even sure I think the riffs were strictly necessary for my enjoyment.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Unpopular opinion: I thought Starcrash was a solid episode, and the Christmas film was so dour that the jokes never elevated it over a C.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Franchescanado posted:

Unpopular opinion: I thought Starcrash was a solid episode, and the Christmas film was so dour that the jokes never elevated it over a C.

Unpopular, but the Correct opinion.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

idonotlikepeas posted:

Ditto. Taking the kids along, too! It's important to start educating them early.

Nice! I hope they have a lot of fun. Hopefully Joel et alia have made it a good time for families.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Gotta say they did pick an odd movie to end the season on. It was one of the weakest riffs, though still better than, say, Hamlet

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

tarlibone posted:

The riff that perfectly encapsulates the world we live in.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
Hamlet is a good episode.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Google didn't help much, but is there a particular reason for the absolutely bizarre freeze-frame montage in The Christmas That Almost Wasn't? Granted it inspired one of the funniest host segments they've ever done, but it's so weird. The only thing I can think of is that either there was a licensing issue for a song or that the footage got chewed up at some point and had to be replaced with whatever frames they could salvage (since a lot of the freeze frames have damage.

It's up there with other inexplicable editing things like the hand holding the watch in Danger!! Death Ray

ja2ke
Feb 19, 2004

Man the hand throwing the watch into the pool in Danger Death Ray is one of the best things.

adamcantsleep
Mar 20, 2016

HopperUK posted:

I haven't listened to your show (yet) but I think I'd rather keep to a randomised approach. That way if I have a favourite era I'm not waiting ages to hear something I'm super excited about.

Breadallelogram posted:

Maybe alternate talking about greatest hits popular episodes with lesser known ones?

8one6 posted:

A suggestion off the top of my head: Make two pools. One is all the episodes currently on Netflix (old and new) and another that is all the rest. Alternate between the two pools so at least half your episodes can directly lead to people watching the episode in question.

drrockso20 posted:

I'd modify this suggestion to take into account that a bunch more episodes are also on YouTube(legally), Hulu, and Shout Factory's own streaming service as well as just Netflix

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. Yeah, there's so much to cover for the podcast that it can be hard to know what the best approach is.

ja2ke posted:

Man the hand throwing the watch into the pool in Danger Death Ray is one of the best things.

I expected the camera to pull back to reveal disinterested Italian crewmen a la Bava's Black Sabbath. How did they leave that in?

EDIT: Also, Starcrash is great and is tied for my number one spot of the season with Cry Wilderness and (maybe) Carnival Magic.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

If the original Italian version of Danger!! Death Ray is missing the ghost watch moment, it's probably the result of whoever was preparing the English language version not cutting the negative properly.

Sort of like how the "brrrring" in Monster a-Go-Go is heard, even though it's obvious it was meant to be covered up by a real sound effect in post.

They just didn't care.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Just leaving the live show in Boston. There are definitely still some technical difficulties to work out, mostly with volume and syncing, but the riffs were really, really good. Hampton in particular seemed to just draw energy from the crowd, and they gave Rebecca a lot more material, which was great.

Also, there were a lot of excited kids in the crowd, which is a good sign. A kid about 8 behind me laughed and laughed when the bots yelled "shut up" at one of the guitar songs.

Seriously fantastic riffing, above all else. A few meta references, because, hey, it's a live show, and some sing-alongs, but mostly just really well timed, goofy jokes and references. I definitely highly recommend it if it comes to your city. I think I liked this script better than the original riff.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It was really good. I still don't get Joel's fixation on the "watch out for snakes" line as a unifying theme, as it really drew attention to how minor the line is, but it was a solid and good show.

I thought the replacement Servo guy did a great job, sounding very much like Kevin.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

business hammocks posted:

It was really good. I still don't get Joel's fixation on the "watch out for snakes" line as a unifying theme, as it really drew attention to how minor the line is, but it was a solid and good show.

I thought the replacement Servo guy did a great job, sounding very much like Kevin.

I think it worked out well: It's part of Kinga's attempt to cash in on the brand - she took a catchphrase and ran with it, slapping it as a theme on the tour, on t-shirts, and even going so far as to interrupt the riffing with a "magic word" like alarm for it.

Yeah, the guy they had doing Servo did really well. I hope they throw him some cameos if they get a season 12.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Mind tossing what the other film was in spoilers? I'm curious how it fits the "Watch out for snakes" namesake (I'm going to guess it doesn't really).

Also, was there any mention of it being taped? I wonder if it might show up as a special on Netflix at some point in the future.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

We don't know what the other film is, unfortunately. Boston is one of the few cities they're only doing Eegah! in. Joel said they'd be announcing what the surprise film was just before they show it for the first time, so I'll be interested to see.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Yeah, my kids were pretty thrilled. My daughter in particular cracked up every time they made fun of how white everything in the movie is. Joel and the bots also asked Gypsy what was in the payload. It's not chowder.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
So is Joel participating in the riff itself then, or just Jonah, Hampton, and replacement Servo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Joel did a little intro and talked at the end, but, alas, did not riff.