Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

And now, your Top 15 (and notables, because holy poo poo this is a treat)

1. Stenhouse
2. Bowyer
3. Menard
4. McDowell
5. Newman
6. Ragan
7. Brendan Gaughan*
8. Allmendinger
9. Jones
10. Buescher
11. Lajoie
12. JimmieBot
13. DiBenedetto
14. McMurray
15. Bubba Wallace*

17. Saurez
20. KyBusch
22. Chase (-1)
25. Danica (-9)
32. Junior (-lol)

I love chaos.

I just hope Jimmie Bot doesn't do his usually and proceeds to curbstomp the field come chase/playoffs/whatever time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Norns posted:

It felt like we got hard racing the entire race. I liked it.

Yep. I was shocked they were racing so hard right out of the gate. Were they afraid the race would get rain shortened? Wish an underdog team would've won the race (although I guess Roush counts as an underdog team these days), but over all pretty pleased with the race.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
I can't like NASCAR when there are so many cautions. The race had 14, which was a 400 record. Fifty-one laps of 163 were under yellow, plus the red flag. It's one thing to race hard knowing it's the only way you can get a good stage/race finish, but it seems as if the motivation to get the front was to try to avoid the wrecks more than anything. Doing that probably contributed to there being more wrecks. Cautions breed cautions, I guess.

Is it too much to ask for drivers to race hard knowing that cautions would be rare? Because at the plate tracks the only thing I see are terrible drivers who don't know how race hard and race clean.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Haven't watched any race this season. Without telling me the results, what are some of this year's races I should check out?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

WindyMan posted:

plate tracks...race hard...race clean.

This isn't the 80s or 90s plate races anymore. Front Row won one a couple years ago and had a drat good shot to do it again tonight. To "race hard", you have to drive like Keselowski and Logano through traffic, or else you're just riding in line. There is almost no margin for error or vagueries on where cars are around you. This race was good BECAUSE they were racing hard, there were more crashes than normal partly because the field experience level is lower than it's been in the past. But you can't have hard plate racing without a lot of wrecks, there's just not the margins to do things as cautiously as in the past.

I hate this kind of racing, but I don't see anything they can really do to spread the field which doesn't make it even more dangerous.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Gozinbulx posted:

Haven't watched any race this season. Without telling me the results, what are some of this year's races I should check out?

Off the top of my head I would say all three plate races, martinsville, maybe california? Jeff Gluck does a "good race?" poll every week that puts bristol and kansas up there as well.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://twitter.com/roushfenway/status/881358604804247552

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Thats a cool photo

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Gozinbulx posted:

Add Pocono to Kidc's list. Great finish.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

All things considered this season has been solid. Lots of first time winners that I really like. Kyle still doesn't have a win so that's also pretty cool.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CBJSprague24 posted:

Add Pocono to Kidc's list. Great finish.

Pocono, as a whole for a track, feels like they'd really have to try to have a lovely race there ever, but that's me.

Norns posted:

All things considered this season has been solid. Lots of first time winners that I really like. Kyle still doesn't have a win so that's also pretty cool.

Neither does JGR as a whole (though that means no Suarez wins) or Chase Elliot.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

So David Ragan is 1 for 3 in not loving up a late race restart at Daytona.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

kidcoelacanth posted:

Off the top of my head I would say all three plate races, martinsville, maybe california? Jeff Gluck does a "good race?" poll every week that puts bristol and kansas up there as well.

Which were the plate races? I'm afraid if I look it up the results will be spoiled

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Gozinbulx posted:

Which were the plate races? I'm afraid if I look it up the results will be spoiled

Daytona and Talladega are plate races.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

It's also probably worth noting that the 500 was fun because it was a complete clusterfuck

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

kidcoelacanth posted:

It's also probably worth noting that the 500 was fun because it was a complete clusterfuck

Also see the 400 from last night.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kidcoelacanth posted:

What was a bigger clusterfuck of the two major US series so far: The 500, Firecracker 400 (shut up, that's it's name), or Indy Texas?

No, can't use that 911 crashfest at The Glen.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

iospace posted:

What was a bigger clusterfuck of the two major US series so far: The 500, Firecracker 400 (shut up, that's it's name), or Indy Texas?

No, can't use that 911 crashfest at The Glen.

Can I nominate Vettel getting a 10 second penalty for intentionally driving into his points leader competition under caution for an honorable mention

It was a Busch league move

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Wasn't last night a record number of "legitimate" cautions?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

exploded mummy posted:

Can I nominate Vettel getting a 10 second penalty for intentionally driving into his points leader competition under caution for an honorable mention

It was a Busch league move

Wait how many times has he done this?

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Texas was def the biggest fuckcluster. Like big dumb wrecks are at least to be expected in plate racing.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

maffew buildings posted:

Wait how many times has he done this?

He claimed he lost control because he took a hand off the wheel to protest Hamilton brake testing him in a corner (the telemetry data shows that Hamilton didn't brake at all )

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

exploded mummy posted:

He claimed he lost control because he took a hand off the wheel to protest Hamilton brake testing him in a corner (the telemetry data shows that Hamilton didn't brake at all )

He went around the corner and lifted. Same thing he did under the last safety car.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

A race that ends with Lance Stroll on the podium automatically gets the biggest clusterfuck award.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Fauxhawk Express posted:

A race that ends with Lance Stroll on the podium automatically gets the biggest clusterfuck award.

Are we forgetting who won the Indy 500 this year, my friend?

(Although he was a cool and good winner)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Boomer The Cannon posted:

Eh, if Ragan protects the bottom last night, I think Dillon gets by on the top. Looked like Dillon had a run. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Yeah he was a sitting duck up there and it wasn't like when he won dega with Gilliland working with him to get up there.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Kyle Larson said he made more in merchandise sales at a dirt track in PA last night than he has all season in Cup, which sparked conversation on Twitter about NASCAR merch. Jeff Gluck suggested drivers get $1-2 on each $25 t-shirt because NASCAR, sponsors, tracks, and Fanatics all get their cut first.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

CBJSprague24 posted:

Kyle Larson said he made more in merchandise sales at a dirt track in PA last night than he has all season in Cup, which sparked conversation on Twitter about NASCAR merch. Jeff Gluck suggested drivers get $1-2 on each $25 t-shirt because NASCAR, sponsors, tracks, and Fanatics all get their cut first.

That's interesting. How much does SRA get for-oh right nevermind.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

Boomer The Cannon posted:

It's amazing how much more critical people get when someone unusual loses a chance at a win. It's like "come on, you'll never get this good of a chance again, how could you screw this up?"

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

WWE and UFC merch cuts are very similar, if not worse. Indie wrestlers can make much more money on merch sales, and the majority of UFC fighters got hosed over hard on the Reebok sponsorship deal from a couple years ago.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

gently caress Larson's NASCAR merch, I'm getting the dirt stuff-WAY cooler.

Also, Ricky Craven wrote an interesting article about drivers being traded like in sportsball: http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/19804280

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

LASTCAR posted:

It's amazing how much more critical people get when someone unusual loses a chance at a win. It's like "come on, you'll never get this good of a chance again, how could you screw this up?"

I expected a jumped restart like the 2011 Daytona 500, plus Ragan's a bit of an rear end in a top hat.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Elitist Bitch posted:

Also, Ricky Craven wrote an interesting article about drivers being traded like in sportsball: http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/19804280

I don't dislike this idea, but I'd imagine sponsors and other political BS could quash it real quick.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Merry Christmas, everyone!

https://wsoctv.relaymedia.com/amp/news/local/former-nascar-driver-sued-for-hidden-cameras-inside-home/548720331

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
the bug eyed dummy strikes again

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

"Maids were stealing"

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Elitist Bitch posted:

gently caress Larson's NASCAR merch, I'm getting the dirt stuff-WAY cooler.

I think there have only been a few times where a "trade" happened (i.e., one driver was fired only to have that driver slide into the seat vacated by his own replacement): Jeremy Mayfield/John Andretti in 1996 between the 37 and 98 and Steve Park/Jeff Green between the 1 and 30.

von Manstein
Jul 30, 2005

Panzer P.I.M.P

So that's why he retired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

I think there have only been a few times where a "trade" happened (i.e., one driver was fired only to have that driver slide into the seat vacated by his own replacement): Jeremy Mayfield/John Andretti in 1996 between the 37 and 98 and Steve Park/Jeff Green between the 1 and 30.

Newman/Harvick as well

• Locked thread