Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I assume DQXI is coming over at some point but it seems kinda weird that they haven't announced it yet, isn't it out in Japan this month?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It takes a long time to localize a game of that size, and they appear not to have made it a priority to modify their development pipeline to allow localization to take place in parallel.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Enix side of the business does not give nearly enough fucks about the west as the Square side. And they still use draconian music laws to screw with versions that come over.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I don't think that's enix so much as DQ's composer since he's been screwing with the Japanese versions too.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
dragon quest 9 didn't deserve good sales, gently caress that game

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I played a little bit of FFV, did I already break the game by making my entire party blue mages

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Your Computer posted:

I played a little bit of FFV, did I already break the game by making my entire party blue mages
Blue Magic's game-breaking potential depends heavily on getting the right skills from enemies.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Your Computer posted:

FF5 isn't terribly easy to break until later on when you get the crazy poo poo, the cool part about its job system is that you can pretty freely just switch around classes either just to dick around or experiment since a lot of abilities are honestly kinda filler.

Blue magic is real real good once it gets going because it's attack, support, and healing in one command when normally you only get one of those. Look up a guide tho, because there's a bunch of spells you have to coerce enemies into casting.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I think I'm missing something with the combat in Infinite Space because everything after the first boss is stomping my poo poo in.

Am I supposed to just run from anything rated better than M until I can get some new weapons?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zereth posted:

Blue Magic's game-breaking potential depends heavily on getting the right skills from enemies.

Obviously :v: Vampire has made things (minus undead) ridiculously easy so far though, getting a full heal and dealing that same amount back as damage is bonkers. In general I absolutely love Blue Magic as a concept, but unless there's a good way to tell whether an enemy move is learnable I might wait on using it properly until a second playthrough. Needing the Learning ability and getting hit by the move on that specific character and only specific moves makes it the thing kind of thing you need a guide for and I don't feel like glancing over at a guide every 2 minutes to see if whatever enemy I'm currently fighting has learnable moves.

I can't believe I haven't played this game before though, I could've sworn I had but this is all new to me and it's great. Only being able to pick a single ability is rough after being used to Bravely's system though. I want !Blue... but I also want Counter.. and I also want Barehanded... and I need someone to heal... and.. and.. I also feel like I need a Thief in my party because being immune to back attacks and being able to see secret passages is just too good to give up.. and stealing is always fun! I want all the jobs and that's a good sign for sure!

Couple of questions though;
1) Is this one of those games where status effects are worthless against bosses or is it worth going for? I love debuffs and DoTs
2) I can't tell if the game wants me to switch jobs a lot or not. Leveling up jobs so far has only unlocked their innate abilities for use with other jobs and not actually given them anything new
3) Are there any equipment pitfalls in this game, like "haha dumbass you equipped a shield now you're actually doing 1/2 damage" or anything dumb like that?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ornamented Death posted:

I think I'm missing something with the combat in Infinite Space because everything after the first boss is stomping my poo poo in.

Am I supposed to just run from anything rated better than M until I can get some new weapons?

What've you got in your fleet? Ship composition is important as much as weaponry. Nevermind just plain upgrading them.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Your Computer posted:

Obviously :v: Vampire has made things (minus undead) ridiculously easy so far though, getting a full heal and dealing that same amount back as damage is bonkers. In general I absolutely love Blue Magic as a concept, but unless there's a good way to tell whether an enemy move is learnable I might wait on using it properly until a second playthrough. Needing the Learning ability and getting hit by the move on that specific character and only specific moves makes it the thing kind of thing you need a guide for and I don't feel like glancing over at a guide every 2 minutes to see if whatever enemy I'm currently fighting has learnable moves.

I can't believe I haven't played this game before though, I could've sworn I had but this is all new to me and it's great. Only being able to pick a single ability is rough after being used to Bravely's system though. I want !Blue... but I also want Counter.. and I also want Barehanded... and I need someone to heal... and.. and.. I also feel like I need a Thief in my party because being immune to back attacks and being able to see secret passages is just too good to give up.. and stealing is always fun! I want all the jobs and that's a good sign for sure!

Couple of questions though;
1) Is this one of those games where status effects are worthless against bosses or is it worth going for? I love debuffs and DoTs
2) I can't tell if the game wants me to switch jobs a lot or not. Leveling up jobs so far has only unlocked their innate abilities for use with other jobs and not actually given them anything new
3) Are there any equipment pitfalls in this game, like "haha dumbass you equipped a shield now you're actually doing 1/2 damage" or anything dumb like that?

Status effects in FFV are ridiculously strong and most bosses can be hit by some of them, even instakills.

Physical jobs tend to learn extra things, mages tend to just learn spell levels to pass on and mp bonuses. The game's honestly pretty easy once you know what's going on, so do whatever feels right. Quite a few people have done their first playthroughs during the Four Job Fiesta, a charity event that runs from June through August that limits you to 4 jobs randomly assigned. It helps keep you from overthinking things while possibly having to do more than spam summons all game. As an added bonus there's generally several no lifers like me on Discord at all times ready to answer questions in more detail than you need.

Not really but some weapons might not work quite how you'd think. Knives, bows, and whips halve target evasion (this doesn't come up much). Axes miss a lot but are less affected by physical defense. Rods (but not the intro crap weapon named Rod) can be used in battle while equipped to cast strong aoe spells you won't get for a good long time and also boost the damage of spells from their element. Ninja scrolls are magic attacks that scale off high magic scores.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jul 4, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks!

dis astranagant posted:

Quite a few people have done their first playthroughs during the Four Job Fiesta, a charity event that runs from June through August that limits you to 4 jobs randomly assigned. It helps keep you from overthinking things while possibly having to do more than spam summons all game.
I thought about this, but I don't have a twitter account and trying to understand how this event even works has me more confused than the game itself :v: Also I'm already at the second crystal so that would be cheating anyway. Sounds like a fun thing to try in the future though, the game definitely feels suited for that sorta thing.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What've you got in your fleet? Ship composition is important as much as weaponry. Nevermind just plain upgrading them.

Two destroyers - that's all I can build currently.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Your Computer posted:

Thanks!

I thought about this, but I don't have a twitter account and trying to understand how this event even works has me more confused than the game itself :v: Also I'm already at the second crystal so that would be cheating anyway. Sounds like a fun thing to try in the future though, the game definitely feels suited for that sorta thing.

It's all on the honor system and it's not like you're missing out on any hot strats playing that far normally. All you have to do is register for twitter and tweet "@FF5forfutures #reg" (the other options are for burnouts), after that you can forget Twitter exists and do everything on http://fourjobfiesta.com/mypage.php since it only uses Twitter for logins this year.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Zore posted:

I thought the original game had the same restrictions on keeping stuff from advanced jobs? And the big change in the remake was they slashed the exp needed to master jobs (but not monster classes)

It does not, the ps1 version lets you keep every skill and spell you learn at the cost of it taking loving forever. On the other hand, you've got the horribly implemented class combo skills

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

dis astranagant posted:

It's all on the honor system and it's not like you're missing out on any hot strats playing that far normally. All you have to do is register for twitter and tweet "@FF5forfutures #reg" (the other options are for burnouts), after that you can forget Twitter exists and do everything on http://fourjobfiesta.com/mypage.php since it only uses Twitter for logins this year.

Okay what the heck, I figured I'll give it a try :3: I sent the tweet, I guess now I just wait for a reply? Does it matter if my twitter is set to protected?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Your Computer posted:

Needing the Learning ability
I think you only need that if you're not currently a blue mage.

Your Computer posted:

Okay what the heck, I figured I'll give it a try :3: I sent the tweet, I guess now I just wait for a reply? Does it matter if my twitter is set to protected?
If your twitter is set to protected the bot probably has no idea you tweeted at it because it can't see your tweets.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zereth posted:

If your twitter is set to protected the bot probably has no idea you tweeted at it because it can't see your tweets.

I wasn't sure about the wording but worried that this might be the case. Oops :downs: Guess I'll try that again!

Zereth posted:

I think you only need that if you're not currently a blue mage.
Yeah, I just meant that if you want coverage and actually being able to reliably get a skill you need to give up your party's jobs or abilities (be a blue mage or have learning). That's always the worst part of Blue Magic :( I can't remember if BD did it this way, but Bravely Second makes it so only one character actually needs the ability and that makes it a much easier job to manage on a casual run.

e: what a coincidence, I got Blue Mage as my first job which is exactly what I used on all my characters. I guess I followed the rules after all :haw:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jul 4, 2017

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ornamented Death posted:

I got the hang of it now. Either the game didn't do a good job of telling you to switch targets to hit ships in the front, or, more likely, I glossed over that. I do think it's kind of weird that you're targeting the hardest to hit ship by default, though.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

dragon quest 9 didn't deserve good sales, gently caress that game

i liked the puns and that was about it

a dq party with all player made characters was just a terrible idea

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

ive been playing skies of arcadia and its... rough. i dont know how much jank is coming from the emulation and how much is from the game itself. I want to power tru though

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

babypolis posted:

Well it worked for DQ3

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I couldn't make all the characters into swole muscular men so gently caress DQ9.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Out of the two atelier games on steam, which one is the better one to get? are either of them actually worth getting?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

babypolis posted:

I also prefer premade characters, but I did like the freedom in party building that DQIX gave you

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

U-DO Burger posted:

I also prefer premade characters, but I did like the freedom in party building that DQIX gave you

it would be a lot better if the class system didnt heavily discourage cross classing

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Out of the two atelier games on steam, which one is the better one to get? are either of them actually worth getting?

Sophie is more chill but if you have a PS3 or Vita you can play Ayesha which is a much better entrypoint to the series

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
At the risk of sounding like a butt, anything new/must play in the RPG genre in the last 2 years for PC? This isn't a hot take, but a legit question to the goonmind. It's hard to look this up without running into advertisements for what appears to be crappy crap.

I'm kind of cooling on WoW again (inevitably happens), and I kind of want to get absorbed into a newer RPG. I think the last one I played was Pillars.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Firstborn posted:

At the risk of sounding like a butt, anything new/must play in the RPG genre in the last 2 years for PC? This isn't a hot take, but a legit question to the goonmind. It's hard to look this up without running into advertisements for what appears to be crappy crap.

I'm kind of cooling on WoW again (inevitably happens), and I kind of want to get absorbed into a newer RPG. I think the last one I played was Pillars.

tales of berseria fucko

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Will look into it. Thanks.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Firstborn posted:

If you haven't played The Witcher 3 then you should

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Firstborn posted:

Well if you ever do feel like a butt check out Bastard Bonds

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Firstborn posted:

If you like Pillars, there's Tyranny which is by Obsidian and is similar.

There are also a ton of weird Chinese RPG's on steam like Tales of Wuxia or whatever that are badly translated but allegedly fun.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

babypolis posted:

ive been playing skies of arcadia and its... rough. i dont know how much jank is coming from the emulation and how much is from the game itself. I want to power tru though

u best watch urself boyo

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Shadow run honkong is good, dragon fall too if you haven't played that either. Returns can be skipped though.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
If you want more of a straight up cyberpunk experience with some spiritual elements, Hong Kong is excellent. If you want more of a fantasy focus, Dragonfall is the one. Both are great. Just don't play Returns, that's more like a proof of concept.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I feel like I need to be reprimanded because after years of mocking Beyond the Beyond based on half-forgotten memories of my brother renting it back in the day... I gave it a recent try and don't actually hate it.

It's not actually good or anything but I don't think I can use it to mock Golden Sun anymore, GS is much worse. This at least doesn't chew your ear off with it's incredibly basic story.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Phantasium posted:

I feel like I need to be reprimanded because after years of mocking Beyond the Beyond based on half-forgotten memories of my brother renting it back in the day... I gave it a recent try and don't actually hate it.

It's not actually good or anything but I don't think I can use it to mock Golden Sun anymore, GS is much worse. This at least doesn't chew your ear off with it's incredibly basic story.

Did you finish it or merely play it for a bit?

Basically: did you have to deal with Samson, or any of the end-game anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'm 3 hours in and I'm sure it gets worse. The encounter rate is already pretty atrocious and I knew about Samson from the old days so his bungling wasn't a surprise. I've also seen worse as to making a main character worthless through weird status effects now thanks to Black Sigil so it's not bothering me that much, funnily enough.