Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

Literally no one is saying anything like that

saying that the players aren't workers because, even though they are paid about 50% of the value their work creates, their wages are above some arbitrary threshold is a pretty capital-sympathetic argument that tries to obscure that they're still being hosed over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/882062842559578112

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

chunkles posted:

Monta on the Pacers was always gonna be a disaster

There's probably like 5 coaches in the NBA that can use him properly which is why he'll sign with the Spurs and torment me most likely
I've got nothing against Monta personally, but it boggles my mind that there are GMs and coaches who still think you can win reliably in the modern NBA with a low-efficiency point guard just because they're good in other aspects of the game. I'm a Timberwolves fan, and I watched year after year as pretty much every team dared Ricky to actually make outside shots and when I've seen Monta play, it seems like the same thing. It's not early 2000s hero ball anymore, efficiency matters, especially in the guy bringing the drat ball up the court most times.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Shear Modulus posted:

saying that the players aren't workers because, even though they are paid about 50% of the value their work creates, their wages are above some arbitrary threshold is a pretty capital-sympathetic argument that tries to obscure that they're still being hosed over

But they're rich and play a game for a living!

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Intruder posted:

But they're rich and play a game for a living!

This but unironically

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

WhyteRyce posted:

KD is that dorky rear end kid in high school that is only popular because his parents are rich, never around, and have a vacation home at the lake. You think he's an idiot that thinks his terrible jokes are funny but you pretend to ignore it because you want to be invited to his after prom party

I would 100% be friends with this type of guy but I never have met anyone interested in purchasing my friendship, which, is for sale.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

cravius posted:

This but unironically

They play a game therefor they're not entitled to the revenue their labor generates. MAGA

The "They play a game for a living" is never rooted in anything but jealousy

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

anyway that fultz block rules and i only hope he doesn't follow the traditional sixers career path of tear up summer league->miss (at least) an entire season

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Told y'all we'd be having this straight from the yahoo comments poo poo, it's like the rubes you get whenever there's a lockout
They're millionaires who play a game so clearly the billionaires who don't do poo poo deserve it more

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

cravius posted:

This but unironically

idk if you are intentionally proving the warriors fans = pats fans thing but either way i want 2 kiss you and lmao

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

How many July 4ths fell victim to free agency tweets? Rest in peace young tweeter there's a heavy for a G.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

cavs should hire sam hinkie

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Intruder posted:

They play a game therefor they're not entitled to the revenue their labor generates. MAGA

The "They play a game for a living" is never rooted in anything but jealousy

Im sure if the players put in all the behind the scenes work to literally run a sports league (negotiating contracts with sponsors, TV rights, all the legal work, hiring and firing staff, marketing, ect.) they'd be entitled to more than half of the collective revenue.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

AggressivelyStupid posted:

cavs should hire sam hinkie

lebron probably doesnt want to play on a team run by the maestro of tanking

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/882065456646955009

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

cravius posted:

Im sure if the players put in all the behind the scenes work to literally run a sports league (negotiating contracts with sponsors, TV rights, all the legal work, hiring and firing staff, marketing, ect.) they'd be entitled to more than half of the collective revenue.

This would be a great point in a moment where the BIG3 wasn't literally on TV right now despite being total garbage.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Ramadu posted:

KD is at SGDQ ok

if you wouldn't do the same thing then you're a worthless little bitch

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
Hmm, yes Javale McGee and JR Smith are both capable and willing of running a multinational sports league

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
That chick totally farted he's just tryna save every one else from smelling it and getting it in they lungs

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I dont get people who ever say "players get too much money" and don't understand how that also means "owners deserve more money."

I just assume they are racist because only racists simultaneously don't understand economics and cheer for old wealthy poo poo heels.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

predicto posted:

Who said the players are overpaid? Joe Lacob is the dude who is overpaid. Someone on Yahoo might have said that poo poo, but don't drag it in here and dump it on SAS posters.

Nevertheless, there are reasons why a player in KD's pretty unique situation might do what he is doing for one year. I said what they might be, and I got poo poo on for it like I was the second coming of Jack Whitehead.

Yah, I think most folks here agree players are underpaid compared to the value they bring the league. They got a really, really, really, rare skillset. They should have a better revenue sharing deal.

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

Things SAS posters will hate someone for: Christianity, taking less money
Things SAS posters will not hate someone for: Manslaughter

I assume you're talking about JR Smith, despite a grand jury not indicting him, the mother of the dead best friend not wanting charges pressed, the rest of the family saying they forgave him? Sorta seems tragic and lovely overall. And retarded that none of them were wearing seatbelts.

Or are you talking about Vince Carter because Weis survived his suicide attempt, he's alive still. Speaking of which:

Ramadu posted:

KD is at SGDQ ok

imagine if you were reaching down to get your soda pop and you dropped like a pen or something and it rolled beneath another chair and were kinda out of shape so you had to get down on your knees to pick it up and someone video'd it then that video spread around the world surviving forever with your image in the e-meme-Dictionary as the definition of FART SNIFFING CREEPSTER NERD haha welcome to the modern world--a terrible place

i wonder if that dude killed himself yet :[

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

Who gives a gently caress if they technically manage other employees or not, they are paid hundreds of millions largely thanks to their genetic luck. Regardless, I'm sure they will all invest their money in other ventures and become.... (gasp) capital!!!!

I mean, there's currently only three players in the NBA who've been paid "hundreds of millions" by the league (Career earnings leaders: Joe Johnson $203,542,249, Carmelo Anthony $201,120,659, LeBron James $200,607,292)[ha ha look at me yes I am blatantly ignoring spokesman revenue and shoe contracts because that's not really what's under discussion when we're talking about Owners vs. Labor], and both career length and salary distribution look very much like an exponential graph (or logarithmic, depending on how you set up the axises c'mon this is irrelevant).

I think most of us folks have less sympathy for the superstars and more for the vast majority of the league who are the bottom of the pay scale, stay near the bottom for the league for like 3-4 seasons, wreck their bodies (not as bad as other sports but still not great), get poo poo on by the fans and all the while are better at basketball than anybody you have ever met in your entire life, but the stars provide most of the negotiating power for the union which represents them all, so yeah, Go Players.

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 4, 2017

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

cravius posted:

Hmm, yes Javale McGee and JR Smith are both capable and willing of running a multinational sports league
I'd trust them with the Knicks before Dolan tbh

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

cravius posted:

Yes its James Dolan who does that.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Jerr Smith

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

cravius posted:

There literally is no product without the players so lol have fun dying on that hill

But I'm not going to get into a debate about this with a guy who thinks CEOs are labor

On to NBA talk, supposedly the Knicks want Clint Capela included in any deal for Melo so gently caress off Knicks

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Billionaires are loving us all, root for the millionaires to take as much of their money as they can.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Whereas Lacob's group bought the Warriors for $450 Million and the franchise is now valued at $2.6 Billion and I don't think those dudes did more valuable work in the last few years than LeBron's done in his entire career, but that's a confusing way of looking at a confusingly large amount of money

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

EvanTH posted:

Whereas Lacob's group bought the Warriors for $450 Million and the franchise is now valued at $2.6 Billion and I don't think those dudes did more valuable work in the last few years than LeBron's done in his entire career, but that's a confusing way of looking at a confusingly large amount of money

Donald Sterling was paid $2 billion because they wanted him to gently caress off after being openly racist, being an owner is good

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Pretty sure Hayward is staying and I am a bit upset about it tbh because I want him in Miami but the Rubio trade and Ingles contract seem to be a big deal. Hayward and Utah are still cool though so I will get over it

Now time to max up WAITERS

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
So we got an earnest marxists.org link in the basketball thread. Huh.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

EMC posted:

Pretty sure Hayward is staying and I am a bit upset about it tbh because I want him in Miami but the Rubio trade and Ingles contract seem to be a big deal. Hayward and Utah are still cool though so I will get over it

Never

Also Hayward looks like a frat bro who tries to gently caress your girlfriend

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
KD leaving his own money on the table will only make it funnier when the Rubio Jazz nutmeg them out of the playoffs or a barely in control Houston team literally hits 35 3-pointers game after game. You all need to look on the bright side here.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

EvanTH posted:

We've seen what the players can do with a franchise (Isaiah Thomas, Jordan, ect.) It's almost like the players and owners need each other. Without the players the rich owners would go back to whatever made them their money. Without the owners, the players would be impoverished

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

EvanTH posted:

I mean, there's currently only three players in the NBA who've been paid "hundreds of millions" by the league (Career earnings leaders: Joe Johnson $203,542,249, Carmelo Anthony $201,120,659, LeBron James $200,607,292)[ha ha look at me yes I am blatantly ignoring spokesman revenue and shoe contracts because that's not really what's under discussion when we're talking about Owners vs. Labor], and both career length and salary distribution look very much like an exponential graph (or logarithmic, depending on how you set up the axises c'mon this is irrelevant).

I think most of us folks have less sympathy for the superstars and more for the vast majority of the league who are the bottom of the pay scale, stay near the bottom for the league for like 3-4 seasons, wreck their bodies (not as bad as other sports but still not great), get poo poo on by the fans and all the while are better at basketball than anybody you have ever met in your entire life, but the stars provide most of the negotiating power for the union which represents them all, so yeah, Go Players.

which is why superstars actively leaving money on the table only to save luxury tax for the people who mulch through the less gifted players is an insanely dick move. no matter how many times you huff farts while chanting Patriot Way or decide that no, actually kevin durant is richer than the guy who signs his pay checks its not a cool thing to just gently caress people less fortunate than yourselves cause its ok you can survive anyway

kevin durants an accelerationist!!

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

cravius posted:

You're trying to make me look bad. Everything but the initial capital to get a team is trivial. People will take huge paycuts to work pro sports-adjacent and there are so few jobs in pro sports that it's really easy to get lots of good employees at below cost.

The owners deserve a return equal to the risk they're exposed to and their investment in the product, but they're engaged in a legal monopoly and exempt from anti trust laws so they have almost no risk and even really poor management will be rewarded with good players.
At most the non player slice should be around 20%

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
Many small business people who are "capital" have become millionaires by putting in a lot more work than dudes like OJ Mayo. So excuse me if I don't have a lot of sympathy for guys who would honestly probably play for free making "only tens of millions"

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

He's leaving and going to Miami

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Hand Knit posted:

So we got an earnest marxists.org link in the basketball thread. Huh.

god bless the nba inshallah

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

cravius posted:

Many small business people who are "capital" have become millionaires by putting in a lot more work than dudes like OJ Mayo. So excuse me if I don't have a lot of sympathy for guys who would honestly probably play for free making "only tens of millions"

lmao hell yeah maga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

thank you cravius or as i like to call him, a 100% accurate representation of people who i dont like's views, for the well thought out rational argument on why kevin durant should be a slave

• Locked thread