Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

JeffersonClay posted:

Except common sense and history. They don't have the luxury of living in some Bernout bubble where the republican party doesn't control the legislative and executive branches. They're not neophytes who think Republicans will hear "single payer" and think "great idea!"

The question was

quote:

But policy-wise, how would you try to fix the exchanges in a dream world where McConnell surrenders this tomorrow and everyone says, “Hey, Sen. Manchin, you’re our guy. What do you want?”

He was specifically asking them what they would do if they had the power to write a healthcare bill (you know, the power they're going to ask the country to give them in 18 months) and they had no loving idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

I don't think a Bernie candidate would have won the district, because it was a district full of complete dickbags who only want tax cuts for them and gently caress everyone else. I doubt even Mitt Romney with a (D) next to his name would win in a place like that. That's why it was the wrong place to invest 5 million dollars, whereas the populists in poorer districts that do benefit from progressive policies achieved bigger vote swings on a shoestring budget. Hopefully the Democratic Party learns this lesson for 2018.

Oh so the democrats were stupid to even try to contest the district, despite improving upon the previous margins in the house election by double digits. Clearly you are just looking out for the DNC's finances and not desperately flailing.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

JeffersonClay posted:

Except common sense and history. They don't have the luxury of living in some Bernout bubble where the republican party doesn't control the legislative and executive branches. They're not neophytes who think Republicans will hear "single payer" and think "great idea!"

I'm not arguing that the republicans would go for single-payer, I'm saying that it doesn't matter whether or not the republicans would go for their suggestions. They could suggest things that would need to compromised or even rejected outright by the republicans in this fantasy scenario.

What you're avoiding entirely is that it's obvious that the democrats don't have a plan for fixing healthcare right now, and from the responses in that article it doesn't even look like they're working on one. This is the sort of stuff they should be working on right now. They should be offering an alternate to what the republicans are offering that isn't the pre-compromised garbage that people like yourself go for.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

JeffersonClay posted:

Oh so the democrats were stupid to even try to contest the district, despite improving upon the previous margins in the house election by double digits. Clearly you are just looking out for the DNC's finances and not desperately flailing.

No you fool, the problem is that the Democrats go apeshit for these kinds of districts while ignoring ones like Kansas' 4th, you know, a district in a state which is currently being crushed by austerity so hard that even the GOP there decided it was too much.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

JeffersonClay posted:

No I am questioning the strategy assumptions that made them believe this race was the race to make the most expensive house race in US history to the exclusion of other races that turned out in hindsight to be more winnable, because the outcomes have strategy implications for 2018 regarding which races to fund and what the national campaign should look like: should we try to attract Romney voters (maybe we could literally get Mitt Romney to campaign on his Path to Prosperity plan for us) and pour all our money into the richest districts with the most Panera Bread locations per capita, or do we run an economically populist campaign and prioritize districts like the ones where unfunded candidates got even bigger swings and even came closer to winning?

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

He was specifically asking them what they would do if they had the power to write a healthcare bill (you know, the power they're going to ask the country to give them in 18 months) and they had no loving idea

Bullshit, he asked

quote:

But what do Senate Democrats want to see to fix Obamacare? On Wednesday and Thursday, I interviewed six Democratic senators and two Democratic House members to ask what the party would want at the top of their health care asks from Senate Republicans.

The "dream world" quote was only asked of Joe Manchin. It's not shocking that the least leftist democratic senator didn't support single-payer, and it's massively disingenuous to suggest he's representative of the party. None of the other senators or house members were asked what they'd do in a hypothetical where they didn't need to worry about Republican support. Learn to read dude.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

JeffersonClay posted:

Bullshit, he asked

The "dream world" quote was only asked of Joe Manchin. It's not shocking that the least leftist democratic senator didn't support single-payer, and it's massively disingenuous to suggest he's representative of the party. None of the other senators or house members were asked what they'd do in a hypothetical where they didn't need to worry about Republican support. Learn to read dude.

No he loving didn't, he asked variations of that

quote:

Obviously, Senate Democrats are overwhelmingly focused on killing this [bill]. But if this fails and McConnell asks Schumer, “What policies do Democrats want to advance in the health care system?” — what do you say?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Like it's a pretty simple question: he asked how Democrats want to fix the healthcare system and you're trying to play semantic games to excuse them from having to have any ideas of their own.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

FuriousxGeorge posted:

Because it's not the only way, or the best way for this issue.

It is if you actually care about saving the lives of people killed by Cartels.

Think Thin!
Sep 17, 2006
everyone in this thread is a worthless cuck bitch and deserves to have their throat slit

report me while crying bitch

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Yawn

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Think Thin! posted:

everyone in this thread is a worthless cuck bitch and deserves to have their throat slit

report me while crying bitch

Please elaborate.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

JeffersonClay posted:

There's no better way to signal your politics are poo poo and you should be ignored than to suggest the democrats and republicans are indistinguishable. It takes a special kind of stupid to argue the republicans are actually better, while simultaneously fawning over Bernie Sanders' every statement and action. You know, the guy who caucuses with the democrats and campaigns for their candidate for president.

I didn't say they were better. I said that under neoliberals like you who sell out to banks. Push Heritage foundation backed policies, who like Third way did, push Social Security Privatization. Who stood with Bush on Iraq. Oh and finally push loving tough on crime racism the democrats are indistinguishable. All of that you stand for,which is why you must be purged from the party.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Who What Now posted:

It is if you actually care about saving the lives of people killed by Cartels.

It's only the best way if you are completely disconnected from reality and history.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

FuriousxGeorge posted:

It's only the best way if you are completely disconnected from reality and history.

How will keeping marijuana criminalized in a majority of states stop cartels?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Who What Now posted:

How will keeping marijuana criminalized in a majority of states stop cartels?

How will keeping alcohol illegal in a majority of states help stop bootleggers? It's a nonsense question because that isn't what's going to happen.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

FuriousxGeorge posted:

How will keeping alcohol illegal in a majority of states help stop bootleggers? It's a nonsense question because that isn't what's going to happen.

drat, I didn't know I was talking to Nostradamus over here. Tell me what you see in the movement of the celestial spheres!

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's not going to happen anyway because the major party candidate who promised to reschedule marijuana and leave states that legalize alone lost to the Nixon-style Law and Order candidate who nominated reefer madness nutcases to run the DoJ.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

It's not going to happen anyway because the major party candidate who promised to reschedule marijuana and leave states that legalize alone lost to the Nixon-style Law and Order candidate who nominated reefer madness nutcases to run the DoJ.

No, but you see, Hillary Clinton was literally going to arrest him.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Just lol if you believe anything Hillary Clinton campaigned on.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't really have any reason to believe she was lying about continuing Obama's states' rights policy on weed and rescheduling marijuana.

I believe she was telling the truth on a lot of what she said, I also believe her when she said she would make sure single payer would never happen, that she would invite Wall Street to write the regulations on Wall Street, that she would negotiate legislation in secret with industry to keep the public from knowing what they were doing etc (I count these last two as campaign promises, just ones she made in private to Goldman Sachs and not to the public).

I'm unsure about TPP. It seems like she wouldn't be able to reverse again after she publicly disavowed it like that and seems unlikely a Republican Senate would want to be seen allying up with Hillary Clinton to pass unpopular legislation. On the other hand, negotiating some quick toothless side agreements and saying "okay all the problems are fixed now, this trade deal now means good American jobs" is the most Clinton thing ever and Republicans are tools for the wealthiest 1% who apparently don't care how many Americans hate the stuff the ultrarich ask for and will even try to shove through poo poo with a 12% approval rating so who knows.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 4, 2017

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Who What Now posted:

drat, I didn't know I was talking to Nostradamus over here. Tell me what you see in the movement of the celestial spheres!

Federal alcohol prohibition is actually in our past, not our future. That is what is guiding me.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I probably missed it being posted on day 3 of the shitnado going on, but it bears reposting because its pretty emblematic of why the democrats are still hardcore sucking:

gradenko_2000 posted:

Vox: How do congressional Democrats want to fix Obamacare? We asked 8 of them.

Sen. Ed Markey (D-MA): use an individual mandate to lower costs

Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV): improve savings, efficiency in health care system

Sen. Jon Tester (D-MT): need to get “good-thinking senators” into a room

Sen. Mark Warner (D-VA): reintroduce “copper plans” as a way to insure those not covered by Obamacare

Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-MN): lower drug prices, introduce “reinsurance” plan

Rep. Joe Crowley (D-NY): stop the assault on the Medicaid expansion

Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-NY): “We’re just fighting to save health care”

quote:

Jeff Stein
The argument you hear from the left is that it’s important for Democrats to have a proactive agenda for health care too. And there are 30 million people who still don’t have health insurance, and people have seen their premiums increase by more than 100 percent.

Carolyn Maloney
We’re in the minority. Guess what? We’re just fighting to save health care. They’re repealing it; they’re repealing it. So right now people know where we stand — we passed the Affordable Care Act, and we’re supporting it. And we’re fighting for its existence.

These are not suggestions the minority opposition makes when they actually want to improve things. These are waffle answers that signal "we have no intention of making huge positive changes. Fight against this attempt to repeal an inadequate bill not because we will make it better, but because we wont do anything if we get in power"

"You're in the minority in congress right now, you can promise whatever to aim for and dont need to worry about compromising it right now. Go."

*squirms uncontrollably* "....tin plans that renegotiate premiums? Uh, cut..wasteful spending to improve savings?"

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jul 4, 2017

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

VitalSigns posted:

I don't really have any reason to believe she was lying about continuing Obama's states' rights policy on weed and rescheduling marijuana.

quote:

URSULA BURNS: So long means thumbs up, short means thumbs down; or long means I support, short means I don’t. I’m going to start with — I’m going to give you about ten long-shorts.

SECRETARY CLINTON: Even if you could make money on a short, you can’t answer short.

URSULA BURNS: You can answer short, but you got to be careful about letting anybody else know that. They will bet against you. So legalization of pot?

SECRETARY CLINTON: Short in all senses of the word.

That's the person you can trust to reschedule marijuana and continue Obama's legacy of increasing DEA raids against dispensaries respecting states' rights.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I think Jon Tester's is my favorite: uh can you ask the smart senators what to do

Call Me Charlie posted:

That's the person you can trust to reschedule marijuana and continue Obama's legacy of increasing DEA raids against dispensaries respecting states' rights.

Eh a lot can change in two years, 2014 was about when legalization permanently crossed 50% support, Clinton and Obama are the kind of cowardly politicians who will flip on a culture war issue the instant they think supporting it is better for their careers than continuing to oppose it, example: marriage equality.

E: odd criticism coming from you since you voted to put Jefferson Beauregard O'Hara Alexander Stevens Reefermadness Punchhippies Drugwar Duterte Sessions III in charge of the DoJ :shrug:

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 4, 2017

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

VitalSigns posted:

I think Jon Tester's is my favorite: uh can you ask the smart senators what to do

Eh a lot can change in two years, 2014 was about when legalization permanently crossed 50% support, Clinton and Obama are the kind of cowardly politicians who will flip on a culture war issue the instant they think supporting it is better for their careers than continuing to oppose it, example: marriage equality

Oh man, don't say it too loud or rkajdi might pop in to talk about how the meritocracy proves you and all pot smokers are hill filth society needs to leave behind because Clinton and Obama are the only intellectual presidents you've had in eons.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

VitalSigns posted:

Like it's a pretty simple question: he asked how Democrats want to fix the healthcare system and you're trying to play semantic games to excuse them from having to have any ideas of their own.

No point in coming up with something that would likely never pass, and it's not a simple question if you want it to.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

JeffersonClay posted:

They shouldn't care what the enemy thinks. The goal should be the total annihilation of the enemy by any means necessary.

Namaste.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Avirosb posted:

No point in coming up with something that would likely never pass, and it's not a simple question if you want it to.

Except there's an election coming up next year where the Democrats will be asking America to give them the power to pass legislation, and the question was: if you were put in charge of health care right now, what would you do

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

JeffersonClay posted:

If you don't think a Bernie candidate would have won the district (as one failed to do in Montana)

You mean the one who got close to no funding or attention from the DNC until just before the election, and still managed to keep it close in a deep red state?

You are such a fraud.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

VitalSigns posted:

Except there's an election coming up next year where the Democrats will be asking America to give them the power to pass legislation, and the question was: if you were put in charge of health care right now, what would you do

Healthcare is never easy and no matter what they'd say it'd just be Obamacare 2.0 to many.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Avirosb posted:

No point in coming up with something that would likely never pass

Actual improvements to Obamacare are not likely to pass anytime soon. Coming up with something that won't pass is a productive thing to do at this point. Grandstanding rallies the base and redefines what voters think of as politically possible.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It's funny to compare what centrists are saying here: "no point in coming up with any health care ideas until we have a supermajority or it won't pass anyway", with what the same people are saying about California single payer in the Trump thread: "oh we never wrote a real bill before and now that we have a supermajority we can't waste time writing a health care bill, that should have done before, guess we can't pass it ohhhhhhh well"

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Y'know what's weird, is that today, the Democrats didn't announce that they are united in working toward single payer healthcare for america. It seems like such an easy win and the obvious moral high ground to take. Well, I guess they're just not that party. Maybe tomorrow.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Avirosb posted:

The word "likely" is doing an awful lot of work here.

JeffersonClay posted:

Yes indeed, congressional dems are totally competent people who are not living in a bubble. Like, if the projection here was any harder you could open your own cinema.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
I doubt America is mentally prepared for full-on socialism but it would be a welcome surprise.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Good thing that universal healthcare isn't actually Full Communism then.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

It's funny to compare what centrists are saying here: "no point in coming up with any health care ideas until we have a supermajority or it won't pass anyway", with what the same people are saying about California single payer in the Trump thread: "oh we never wrote a real bill before and now that we have a supermajority we can't waste time writing a health care bill, that should have done before, guess we can't pass it ohhhhhhh well"

I don't get how they don't think of it as presenting their plan to the public and seeking their approval of it in the midterms. It's the most logical thing to do, it's what the GOP did with their endless Obamacare repeal bills. Of course, their mistake was never having an endgame in mind except for "get in power".

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Avirosb posted:

Healthcare is never easy and no matter what they'd say it'd just be Obamacare 2.0 to many.

So what, we're pulling a Trump? "We totally have a plan, we just won't tell you guys till you elect us into a majority" probably won't work, and trying to come up with a fix that will help people but won't scare a single big money donor is not working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Avirosb posted:

:psyduck:

2018: Even If We Had A Plan You Probably Wouldn't Like It

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jul 4, 2017

• Locked thread