Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vakal
May 11, 2008

monster on a stick posted:

What are some games on sale with really good stories?

You can grab Soul Reaver 1, 2 and Defiance for 1.50 each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Deus Ex/DX:HR, maybe? I'm not sure what else there is. Besides Mass Effect. Maybe the Spiders games, but I found Mars: War Logs shallow and not very fun.

Those are all more actiony than I had in mind. Deus Ex also really isn't about interesting loot/stats.

resistentialism posted:

Some goons were going on about UnderRail for a while.

I don't know if it's good or not, haven't played it

That is interesting.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I don't get the extent of praise for Dead Cells. I mean, I like it. I've beaten the second boss a couple times and been through all the levels that exist so far. I feel like the quality of the controls is being exaggerated, though. Most weapons have an obnoxious amount of wind-up, movement is troublesome around ladders and ledges, and attacking in the air is just ugly and never works how I want it to. I'm hoping that will improve, but with all the effusive praise the controls get, the developers may just decide to leave that aspect as-is.

a cat irl
Feb 13, 2010

The Witcher 3

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

fyallm posted:

I didn't get that version of Dishonored 1, is it to late?

The only two DLCs you want are The Knife of Dunwall and The Brigmore Witches, which are 2.99 apiece. If you got the base game for 2.50 you can just buy those two for a grand total of 8.47.

You could refund and nab the Definitive Edition, but that one's 10 bucks and the other DLC included there goes from meh (Dunwall City Trials) to useless (Void Walker Arsenal), so just grab those two I mentioned above.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

GTA5 is probably the best GTA story wise since Vice City. Also the gameplay and world is pretty fun. Its not as serious as GTA4 and has lots of fun/whacky stranger missions/side objectives like the old GTA.

Just the story mode alone will get you immense play time. You can easily go over 100 hours because its so fun to just run around in the world and do stupid poo poo. On top of that there is a alive online community for it on PC and there is lots of mods for it.

I originally played it on 360 when it came out but it runs infinitely better on PC.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Ulio posted:

GTA5 is probably the best GTA story wise since Vice City. Also the gameplay and world is pretty fun. Its not as serious as GTA4 and has lots of fun/whacky stranger missions/side objectives like the old GTA.

Just the story mode alone will get you immense play time. You can easily go over 100 hours because its so fun to just run around in the world and do stupid poo poo. On top of that there is a alive online community for it on PC and there is lots of mods for it.

I originally played it on 360 when it came out but it runs infinitely better on PC.

I've... never played a GTA game. How would you compare it to Sleeping Dogs?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Better production, less wacky, far less instances of educational Chinese swearing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Would you guys recommend Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 enchanced editions? Never played them before. Just looking for some great RPGs ish games

Absolutely.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Ulio posted:

Good luck ever getting GTA5 on a real sale. Years old and still selling at full price. The SP is abandoned for the cash cow of MP and its hacker issues.
The Saints Row series is crazy all around and go for cheap. GTA is uptight in comparison and you have an actual gang with you, pouring 40s and smoking blunts like a comical gangster.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I've... never played a GTA game. How would you compare it to Sleeping Dogs?

In terms of the open world I think its pretty similar. I only played first hour or so of sleeping dog. I do believe Los Santos is bigger than the Sleeping Dogs map. Also it has a lot of different settings such as mountainous forest area, desert area instead of it just being mostly a city.

Sleeping Dogs seems to be going for a John Woo movie type of combat. There is a lot more hand to hand combat in Sleeping Dogs. GTA is basically all guns after the first few missions. The older GTAs actually had more melee weapons, this one still has them but they are less useful. GTA's combat is like the movie Heat and Sleeping Dogs is more like the Raid.

Don't know about the side stuff in Sleeping Dogs but I am assuming there is some. GTA 5's side stuff is almost as well written as the main plot. Side stuff just appears randomly and is sometimes related to the story or affects the world in some way.

Production values is always great for Rockstar stuff. These are some of the best selling games of all time. Lots of great licensed songs in the radio. You can buy lots of things with your money like stocks, sport cars, crazy weapons and huge mansions.

You mainly care about the story and the story is kinda like The Heat except they still keep doing heist but they keep going wrong. I do recommend doing the side quests as they are extremely fun. Like any GTA game there is also lots of social commentary if you don't like that you might not be as interested. Best part of GTA is the characters though. They are all parodies due to how extreme their personalities are but they still have some basis in reality. Trevor, the Lawyer, Michael's Family, The Yoga instructor, Franklin's Friend Lamar. There is so many great characters which makes you care more about the story.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The Final Station looks really neat, anyone played it?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/435530/The_Final_Station/

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I recant my earlier statement, Sleeping Dogs is a better game. It's a tight and uniform package. GTAV tries to do too much and meanders all over the place. It's still a very good game, but Sleeping Dogs is far better.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Ok! I'm finally done putting together my Steam Cart. It's very different from what I posted earlier, mostly due to suggestions I got here on the forums about what games to add/remove. I've gone through it myself five or six times and culled about much as I can on my own. Ignore whether a game is on my wishlist or not, I was mostly just using it as a bookmark.

If you goons can do me a solid and take a chainsaw to it, I'll go ahead and pull the trigger on whatever's left.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 4, 2017

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Toss out every game you didn't wishlist. These should last you until the next sale.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Sleeping Dogs has a fair deal of hand to hand if you follow the side missions for martial arts or the prize fights IIRC.

Alternately for some of them you can just run over the guys you're supposed to fight hand-to-hand with your car. "Oh, did you bring your fists to a car fight?"

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

-Blackadder- posted:

If you goons can do me a solid take a chainsaw to it, I'll go ahead and pull the trigger on whatever's left.

I've read a lot of bad stuff about Seraph since the sale started. I had it on my wishlist for some reason and have since axed it.

For all the praise it's getting, Dead Cells is still in Early Access, so you could probably hold on until next sale.

I've seen a lot of conflicting opinions about Salt and Sanctuary and Dust, so maybe wait for someone to chime in on those?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

-Blackadder- posted:

Ok! I'm finally done putting together my Steam Cart. It's very different from what I posted earlier, mostly due to suggestions I got here on the forums about what games to add/remove. I've gone through it myself five or six times and culled about much as I can on my own. Ignore whether a game is my wish list or not.

If you goons can do me a solid take a chainsaw to it, I'll go ahead and pull the trigger on whatever's left.

Why World at War? It's not a bad game, but $10 for something that old is unusual.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

I've read a lot of bad stuff about Seraph since the sale started. I had it on my wishlist for some reason and have since axed it.

For all the praise it's getting, Dead Cells is still in Early Access, so you could probably hold on until next sale.

I've seen a lot of conflicting opinions about Salt and Sanctuary and Dust, so maybe wait for someone to chime in on those?

Dust is a relatively easy Metroidvania. Pretty solid but a bit too furry for some tastes. Salt and Sanctuary can be described as 2D Dark Souls but worse.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Edmond Dantes posted:

Salt is cool and good. It has some flawed aspects, but it's an amazing atmospheric (dark) world to explore. Dust is meh.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Drakensang is only $2.49 which is a crazy steal if you like PC RPGs like Dragon Age etc. Slightly janky but I liked it a lot.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The sale ends on and includes the 5th correct?

(English needs a short, clear signifier for that sort of thing, like "tot/met" (t/m) in Dutch)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

fyallm posted:

I didn't get that version of Dishonored 1, is it to late?
No friend, you did it correct. Bethesda/Steam hosed up pricing

Base game: $2.50 (you did this correct)
DLC: The Knife of Dunwall + Brigmore Witches. ($3 x2)
Total: $8.5

These are the only two DLC you should get. They are their own mini-campigns but are two parts of a DLC campagin so you finish one and then it picksup right afterwards in the next one. They are also really good

The Definitive Edition includes Dunwall City Trials (mostly stupid) and some lovely Void pack which you don't need at all: $10

You saved yourself $1.5! Go sales

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Edmond Dantes posted:

I like flashy combat so...

Seraph has jumped in and out of my cart several times due to some bad comments I've seen. But it keeps sneaking back into my cart because the Let's Play videos I watched made it look pretty cool and it's got an upgrade system and is only $2.60.

Dust, same thinking above + this also has a lot of positive reviews.

ICEY - I took this out of my cart, because it was $8 and only -27%. Perhaps I should switch that around some how with the above two?

Dead Cells - Lol, I made this same argument! But apparently the price is going up, so I might as well jump in now.

Krazyface posted:

Why World at War? It's not a bad game, but $10 for something that old is unusual.
Good question, I really enjoyed the WWII-centric Medal of Honor/Call of Duty games (MoH: Allied/Pacific Assault/Airborn, CoD: 1,2, United Offensive) for their single player campaigns. So I figured World at War would be a good choice since I never played it. It is surprisingly expensive for it's age, but isthereanydeal price history check says it's never gone below $9. I just want a good single player WWII campain experience like the old Medal of Honor/Call of Duty games. If anyone knows of better alternatives I'm open to it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Xaris posted:

No friend, you did it correct. Bethesda/Steam hosed up pricing

Base game: $2.50 (you did this correct)
DLC: The Knife of Dunwall + Brigmore Witches. ($3 x2)
Total: $8.5

The Definitive Edition includes Dunwall City Trials (mostly stupid) and some lovely Void pack which you don't need at all: $10

You saved yourself $1.5! Go sales

I wonder if the base costing less than individual DLC is a smart marketing ploy based on players realizing how amazing (if not imperfect) the core gameplay is and needing more.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

-Blackadder- posted:

I like flashy combat so...

Seraph has jumped in and out of my cart several times due to some bad comments I've seen. But it keeps sneaking back into my cart because the Let's Play videos I watched made it look pretty cool and it's got an upgrade system and is only $2.60.

Dust, same thinking above + this also has a lot of positive reviews.

ICEY - I took this out of my cart, because it was $8 and only -27%. Perhaps I should switch that around some how with the above two?

Dead Cells - Lol, I made this same argument! But apparently the price is going up, so I might as well jump in now.

Good question, I really enjoyed the WWII-centric Medal of Honor/Call of Duty games (MoH: Allied/Pacific Assault/Airborn, CoD: 1,2, United Offensive) for their single player campaigns. So I figured World at War would be a good choice since I never played it. It is surprisingly expensive for it's age, but isthereanydeal price history check says it's never gone below $9. I just want a good single player WWII campain experience like the old Medal of Honor/Call of Duty games. If anyone knows of better alternatives I'm open to it.

Seraph isn't particular good. It's extremely repetitive, the story is non-existant to stupid and devs even admitted they didn't care about it. Levels are repetitive and you fight the same 3 guys. The combat IS actually very nice and fun, but there's nothing exciting to go along with it which is a god drat shame. The upgrades are literally +0.5% damage poo poo.

Also I'd say skip Dust. It's an fairly solid decent game overall, albiet very loving anime with awful story and anime voices. But you have plenty of Metroidvanias on your list and Hollow Knight is just way better by 10000x factor. Get it next sale if you really want another metroidvania but we could recommend better as well.

As far as COD: WAW, I dunno, maybe wait for the new COD WW2 game to come out? Unfortunately I can't really think of any good new ones so idk. Go for it since it won't be any cheaper ever

e:
Also i'd say skip RAGE. It's neat to shoot some guys and watch them flail around and the actual shooting is pretty good, but the game itself is hot mediocre poo poo. There are far better FPS games to get. Like, idk, how about Call of Juarez: Gunslinger? http://store.steampowered.com/app/204450/Call_of_Juarez_Gunslinger/

e: e: Was it you said who said they didn't like doing trials for better timing and score and things? You might want to reconsider SUPERHOT until next sale if so because it's still pretty pricy @ $15. The actual story is like 2 hrs long but it's made up for with different trials and things. That wasn't really for me but a lot of people liked it.

I suppose all this is caveated depending on your disposal income and free time. If you're still in highschool or unemployed or between college semesters with so much time and lot of money, just buy everything you want that even looks slightly interesting to you. Personally I stand by the thread-title, don't play something that isn't the absolutely best games you can play but if it's something you think you'll like and you have the actual time to play it, sure go for it man!

Xaris fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 4, 2017

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
All right, consider me on board - Dead Cells is amazing. Can't even tell it's in Early Access, although I am not very far in so maybe there are some levels that need to be added toward the end. Had some great runs and ended up getting to the 4th area or so. Haven't met any bosses yet, just some elite enemies.

Each run is rewarding, and you can use cells dropped from enemies to power up health potions, weapons (if you find a blueprint), weapon damage (even boosting weapons you find in a run), etc. My most disappointing death so far was when I lost 20 cells and a rare blueprint, which I have yet to see again. If you are in the "Wellllll just one more round" crowd and buy this game, your life is forfeit.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Ok, you guys convinced me on Seraph, it's gone for good.

Should I really dump SuperHot? Everyone seems to love it. And the innovative shooting mechanic does look pretty bad rear end. But it is expensive too.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I asked this in another thread but more opinions are always nice:
I like metroidvanias and as such id like to buy hollow knight.
But, REmake is also going for 10 bucks and ive wanted to try it since the gc days but i dont have much experience with classic horror games, even if its the cream of the crop.
Which one will be more bang for my ten bucks?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

victrix posted:

The Final Station looks really neat, anyone played it?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/435530/The_Final_Station/

It's definitely an experience. There are some rough edges where several gameplay things aren't well explained, but it is a bleak and story rich atmospheric thing if you're in the mood

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

-Blackadder- posted:

Should I really dump SuperHot? Everyone seems to love it. And the innovative shooting mechanic does look pretty bad rear end. But it is expensive too.

I mean its kind of neat, I wasn't super in love with actually playing it but I did enjoy the concept. A lot of people do like it a lot though so YMMV.

But I'm not really a arcade-trials/challenge mode person where you replay levels but with different restrictions or things. If you are, go for it. Otherwise may want to wait because the actual campaign itself is mostly a tutorial and super short and more about doing challenges and endless mode.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
RAGE is right next to Civ:Beyond Earth for me in greatest regrets of paying full price for. It had a terrible launch and feels lifeless and boring. Get this instead....

http://store.steampowered.com/app/233270/Far_Cry_3__Blood_Dragon/

Or better yet, get the Blood Dragon/Gunslinger bundle. Both great shootmans.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

ArfJason posted:

But, REmake is also going for 10 bucks and ive wanted to try it since the gc days but i dont have much experience with classic horror games, even if its the cream of the crop.
I'd say Hollow Knight because it's my indie GOTY and best metroidvania on Steam, but I haven't played remake so i'm just offering half the opinion required to answer. sorry mate

I would say also buy Resident Evil 4 if you haven't played it, it's real super good and only $6.80 http://store.steampowered.com/app/254700/resident_evil_4__biohazard_4/. idk how REmake turned out

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ya i have re4 already. Im happy capcom became decent at porting so we could get re4 the way it should be

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Xaris posted:

I'd say Hollow Knight because it's my indie GOTY and best metroidvania on Steam, but I haven't played remake so i'm just offering half the opinion required to answer. sorry mate

I would say also buy Resident Evil 4 if you haven't played it, it's real super good and only $6.80 http://store.steampowered.com/app/254700/resident_evil_4__biohazard_4/. idk how REmake turned out

REmake is pretty much a notably improved version of the original version of Resident Evil, so it depends on how you feel about going back to ol' tank controls and very limited ammo and all that. (There's a newer control scheme that I don't think I ever tried.) If you don't mind the clunkier aspects of the original it's like that, but with extra areas, new features, and an improved coat of paint.

It's improved but by no means a game-changer. Really wish they'd done a remake for Resident Evil 2, it deserves it a lot more.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

ArfJason posted:

Get REmake iff you have someone that would watch you play it. It is a stupid, frustrating game that is really dumb. But fun to share with others.

Soothing Cacophony
Sep 29, 2009
I bought Life is Strange on a lark and ended up absolutely loving it. Anyone have any recommendations for something similar? More for the characters than for the gameplay -- I also tried the Telltale Walking Dead game and that wasn't too engaging.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Really wish they'd done a remake for Resident Evil 2

iirc they are

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

When they say a sale ends on a certain day, it means the sale ends at noon Pacific on that day. So you have a little less than 36 hours to get your games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

ArfJason posted:

iirc they are

Huh, so they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcW6W-xVl-8

WE DO IT.

• Locked thread