Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

The gov't doesn't muddy anything. It only shits where it eats, swims, plays, breathes, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

There used to be a goon, Sgt Zeno who worked at the Pentagon. When he got bored, he would call the Mojave Phone booth, this becoming an obscure but fevrerntly debated footnote among the :tinfoil: crowd.

Water777
Mar 19, 2015

Zeris posted:

Lurkers thread best thread

happy lurker day

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

chemosh6969 posted:

edit: and now NASA is trying to coverup pizzagate. it apparently extends to mars.
https://www.cnet.com/news/nasa-mars-alex-jones-infowars-child-slave-colony/

I always wondered why Obama went there. :ms:

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Godholio posted:

You're posting in GIP, so I assume that you have actually worked for the government in some capacity.

As a former Air Force slave, I can't say that I've either been to or never been to the slave colony on mars because of OPSEC.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

chemosh6969 posted:

As a former Air Force slave, I can't say that I've either been to or never been to the slave colony on mars because of OPSEC.

Oh so you're saying there IS one, you just can't say if you've been to it

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
B-b-b-bbbbuusted! :nsamad:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

MARS LIVES MATTER

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
if we colonize mars and find life on that planet, are they the aliens, or are we the aliens? :tinfoil:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Everything is relative

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TBeats posted:

if we colonize mars and find life on that planet, are they the aliens, or are we the aliens? :tinfoil:

We're the Invaders from outer space.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

TBeats posted:

Depends on who wins

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Internet Wizard posted:

Depends on who you ask

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
would we call them native aliens?

there's so many questions...

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
Build a wall to keep the aliens out and make Mars pay for it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

TBeats posted:

would we call them native aliens?

there's so many questions...

Speed bumps.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

To infinity, and your mom

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Derek Dominoe posted:

Build a Dyson sphere to keep the aliens out and make Mars pay for it.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Derek Dominoe posted:

Build a shield to keep the aliens out and make the combination 1-2-3-4-5.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

I was checking to see if NASA ever denied the Panzer tank or the silverback gorilla that were photographed on Mars but instead I found this

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/744225/Chimpanzee-Nazi-Hitler-salute-zoo-Adolf-ape-Heil-right-wing

simply shocking

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

chemosh6969 posted:

I was checking to see if NASA ever denied the Panzer tank or the silverback gorilla that were photographed on Mars but instead I found this

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/744225/Chimpanzee-Nazi-Hitler-salute-zoo-Adolf-ape-Heil-right-wing

simply shocking

Heil to the chimp.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

TBeats posted:

Ray Bradbury's the Martian Chronicles.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

quote:

... as we wandered along the great avenue lighted by the two moons of Barsoom, and with Earth looking down upon us out of her luminous green eye, it seemed that we were alone in the universe, and I, at least, was content that it should be so.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

TBeats posted:

Ask me again after we hand out the smallpox blankets.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

vulturesrow posted:

Ask me again after we hand out the smallpox blankets.

I'd be willing to bet quite a bit that any first hand exchanges between us and an alien race would have absolutely catastrophic ecological effects on both sides due to microorganisms, (assuming they have microorganisms of their own.) Like we would almost certainly have no choice but to only communicate remotely lest we cause some sort of microbial apocalypse as life from either side starts to colonize a new world that is totally unadapted to the new invaders. Most things would probably have trouble taking root since that cuts both ways but there would undoubtedly be *something* that would spread far and wide and devastate a lot of the native life.

Unless their conditions for life are totally incompatible with ours. In which case there's probably no danger of that happening but we won't be able to interact with them very closely anyway.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

TBeats posted:

The real question is, do billion-year-dead single-celled organisms care? Because that's all we're finding on Mars, if we find anything.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

my kinda ape posted:

I'd be willing to bet quite a bit that any first hand exchanges between us and an alien race would have absolutely catastrophic ecological effects on both sides due to microorganisms, (assuming they have microorganisms of their own.) Like we would almost certainly have no choice but to only communicate remotely lest we cause some sort of microbial apocalypse as life from either side starts to colonize a new world that is totally unadapted to the new invaders. Most things would probably have trouble taking root since that cuts both ways but there would undoubtedly be *something* that would spread far and wide and devastate a lot of the native life.

Unless their conditions for life are totally incompatible with ours. In which case there's probably no danger of that happening but we won't be able to interact with them very closely anyway.

Hell just look at what happened to the Americas after contact was first made. Even communities that didn't make direct contact with Europeans for decades were probably devastated by various diseases in the early 16th century.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Memento posted:

The real question is, do billion-year-dead single-celled organisms care? Because that's all we're finding on Mars, if we find anything.

We haven't found any reason microbes couldn't be thriving a few inches into the soil. They exist in harsher environments on Earth.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
They'll make sure to steam us thoroughly before eating the meat off our bones

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

There have been theories that we already 1492'd Martian bacteria with the earliest probes.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

TBeats posted:

On the one hand they already live there, but on the other hand "alien" is our word

perhaps the truth........ is somewhere in the middle?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

my kinda ape posted:

I'd be willing to bet quite a bit that any first hand exchanges between us and an alien race would have absolutely catastrophic ecological effects on both sides due to microorganisms, (assuming they have microorganisms of their own.)

It's unlikely in the extreme that any organisms from a truly alien origin would be compatible with earthly life even to the extent necessary to infect it. An utterly alien biochemistry could very well lack DNA/RNA, or amino acids, or could be based on entirely opposed chiralities.

Bets are off it it's distantly related, like if life has actually transferred between earth and Mars.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

We can't even get along with each other, they'll smite us for being us.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Phanatic posted:

It's unlikely in the extreme that any organisms from a truly alien origin would be compatible with earthly life even to the extent necessary to infect it. An utterly alien biochemistry could very well lack DNA/RNA, or amino acids, or could be based on entirely opposed chiralities.

Bets are off it it's distantly related, like if life has actually transferred between earth and Mars.

Infect or predate probably not, odds are neither ecosystem would have nutrients compatible with the other. OTOH you might end up with something where it just feeds off some weird metabolic waste product and gradually poisons the host to death.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

Internet Wizard posted:

Hell just look at what happened to the Americas after contact was first made. Even communities that didn't make direct contact with Europeans for decades were probably devastated by various diseases in the early 16th century.

Exactly. History has taught us that the white people aren't the ones that get sick from meeting new civilizations. It's always the other side.

Seriously though, there were well established trade routes, so it was easy for disease to spread.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

chemosh6969 posted:

Exactly. History has taught us that the white people aren't the ones that get sick from meeting new civilizations. It's always the other side.

Seriously though, there were well established trade routes, so it was easy for disease to spread.

Tons of white people died to diseases it's just that Europe also produced tons of surplus population to throw at the new world.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Namely, syphilis, which appeared in Europe shortly after Columbus' voyage, and was way more virulent and deadly than it is today even when left untreated.

Don't be a fool, wrap your tool.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Plague anybody?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

chemosh6969 posted:

yea. like that time in the 14th century when 1/3 of europes population was wiped out by the bubonic plague. but white people dont get sick