Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
It is honestly funny when in a cultivation novel the MC is ok being a bad guy and does not try to be righteous. That way at least they are honest about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Are there Chinese/Korean webnovels based off existing MMOs? It'd be fun to see a League of Legends story, or something set in the world of one of the millions of anime style f2p MMOs out there.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the king's avatar is very heavily based on dfo, albeit a weird 3d first person version of it.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Hopefully it's okay to plug my own translation here. I'm translating a short (2 volumes) hard(ish) SF LN series called The Cat's Globe. It is about cats and robots and reads like Watership Down meets golden-age English SF. It's written by the dude who did Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu.

I just have the first half of the Prologue done (about 5% of the book).

If you're looking for something completely different than what you'd normally see in an LN, maybe check it out.

https://xiaoxiaonovels.com/the-cats-globe-prologue-part-1/

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Getsuya posted:

Hopefully it's okay to plug my own translation here. I'm translating a short (2 volumes) hard(ish) SF LN series called The Cat's Globe. It is about cats and robots and reads like Watership Down meets golden-age English SF. It's written by the dude who did Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu.

I just have the first half of the Prologue done (about 5% of the book).

If you're looking for something completely different than what you'd normally see in an LN, maybe check it out.

https://xiaoxiaonovels.com/the-cats-globe-prologue-part-1/

I read that ~3 years ago, and wrote this "review", if anyone wants more details:

---
Finished reading Neko no Chikyuugi by Akiyama Mizuhito last night. It's a two-part sci-fi light novel taking place many hundreds of years in the future on a space station orbiting the earth, inhabited by a society of (genetically?) evolved cats with a special whisker antenna that enables them to communicate via radio waves. It also allows them to control the ancient robots left behind by the original human population, now only vaguely remembered as "angels", since they all perished in some cataclysmic event.

And so what makes this unique is that all the characters are cats. Well, and robots, to some degree. The author explains that he was inspired by Galileo and his dispute with the Church, which is reflected in the station being ruled by religion. Its beliefs state that the soul of a good cat will ascend to the Earth Globe, purified by sacred flames.

Standing up against this is the secret order of the Skywalkers, who instead carry the conviction that you can reach the Earth Globe without dying, and have performed scientific experiments alone for generations, while struggling to evade persecution. Before eventually getting killed, they always entrust this accumulated wisdom with a retarded android girl, who is told to hide in an unfindable place, until the next brave cat is ready to take up the mantle.

This is obviously where our main character comes in, a young black cat armed with the supremest intellect of all time, with a burning desire to build himself a rocket that can take him to the promised land. The story also revolves around a white cat, the greatest of all Spiral Divers, who's obsessed with fighting the ultimate cat, in this gladiatorial sport of zero-gravity duels, fought alongside mind-controlled robot partners. The two inevitably become rivals, of sorts, linked together by an excited brown kitten, who worships the Diver as a hero, but is drawn to the curious new ideas of the Skywalker.

So, well, that's the setup! Probably the longest I've described so far, but it's sort of amusing with them all being cats, and having such an upside-down view of space. I actually bought the books many years ago, but always hesitated to read them, as the language is littered with technological, biological and physics terms. Even now, after 10 years of Japanese, it's still a struggle to get through, since the prose is very heavy on details. Guess I should challenge myself more.

It's an interesting read that tries not to take sides, about characters who can't give up their dreams, and the consequences it brings. Mostly it's just very unusual to find a light novel (or anime even) that isn't about humans, which by itself almost makes it worth picking up. However, weighing in general enjoyment, I must confess I appreciate the effort more than the experience. There are too many parts where it gets bogged down in details, and while I'm sure the (quite brutal) battles are exciting, it's very hard to visualize them, making it all a bit murky. Maybe if I revisit it another 10 years from now.

Akiyama's highly regarded Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu has been animated, by the way.
---

Hopefully not too spoilery.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Well someone just pointed out that the site hosting my translation blocks Adblockers, which the owner of the site failed to mention when he offered to host it. I wanted to avoid the hassle of making my own blog to post it on but I guess I'd better.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Getsuya posted:

Well someone just pointed out that the site hosting my translation blocks Adblockers, which the owner of the site failed to mention when he offered to host it. I wanted to avoid the hassle of making my own blog to post it on but I guess I'd better.

I recommend Tumblr, so that everyone can complain at you for hosting on Tumblr. Very low-maintenance, otherwise.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

What about just getting one of those free (?) Wordpress blogs at https://wordpress.com/start/delta-blog ? Or do they have annoying ads if you don't pay.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Yeah, that's the plan. I'm pretty sure they're totally free.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

Feels like we've reached maximum web novel penetration now that an episode of anime showed the Narou ranking page (and posting stories):

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Finally started reading ZTJ last night. Still reading it. Have work in three hours. Please send help.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjezREyZI2U

:geno:

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

Man, I never really noticed but his character design really doesn't scream 'bad-rear end anti-hero on a quest for vengeance' so much as 'knock-off Link from Zelda'. It's kind of depressing how apparently popular that poo poo is though.

e: Oh in slightly happier news I don't know if any of you guys were following Kenkyo Kenjitsu back when it was regularly updating - but it's started updating again! The translator has been uploading like crazy for the past couple weeks, it's real cool.

sunken fleet fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 4, 2017

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Maybe they'll edit it to not be a pedo misogyny fest? If you just took the premise and took those parts out it'd manage to be a mediocre(instead of godawful) story I guess?

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
Doubt it, I feel like intense hatred for women was a sort of core component to that particular light novel.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

FriggenJ posted:

Maybe they'll edit it to not be a pedo misogyny fest? If you just took the premise and took those parts out it'd manage to be a mediocre(instead of godawful) story I guess?

Once you remove the pedo misogyny slave apologia from Shield Hero there's nothing left.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Ytlaya posted:

Once you remove the pedo misogyny slave apologia from Shield Hero there's nothing left.

Hey. Hey. It also has regular slave misogyny apologia as well.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

The Sandman posted:

Finally started reading ZTJ last night. Still reading it. Have work in three hours. Please send help.

I wish I hadn't found ZTJ until it was completed. It's already around 1500 and ongoing if novel updates is to be believed. It's easily the best web novel I've ever read. Early(ish) fun ISSTH is close but I haven't found anything else that compares to ZTJ. I'm down to two web novels now, ZTJ and Sovereign of the Three Realms. I gave up on actively following World of Cultivation and Emperor's Domination a while ago. I'm sure I'll go back and catch up/finish them at some point though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The one not-terrible thing I can remember about Shield Hero is that, from what I can recall, a couple of his fellow Heroes end up not being totally awful. I was expecting them to all be terrible "Chads" persecuting the poor protagonist, which is basically how they were portrayed before he duels the Spear Hero. But in general the way his bizarre misogyny and persecution complex is portrayed makes it transparently obvious that it's reflecting the actual views of the author, to the point that it's downright uncomfortable to read. With a lot of other web novels I get the sense that the misogyny is more due to a conscious attempt to appeal to the otaku fan-base, but with Shield Hero it really feels like the author is revealing his actual innermost feelings. Like, you can sense that this dude genuinely hates any sort of woman who isn't completely infantilized and in thrall to the reader/author surrogate.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
Before I got disgusted by it the fact that there was a revenge plot and the various non-FEEEEEEEEEEMALES enemies were okay. Like if you took the barebones pedophilia and obvious revenge-against-highschool-enemies character descriptions it should be basically fine?

IIRC That japan defense force thing got progressively less horrible with each iteration Novel > Manga > Show (well, it was still horrible for all sorts of reasons).

Who am I kidding though? Even if they got rid of most of it Japan -loves- pedo bait.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Lyon posted:

I wish I hadn't found ZTJ until it was completed. It's already around 1500 and ongoing if novel updates is to be believed. It's easily the best web novel I've ever read. Early(ish) fun ISSTH is close but I haven't found anything else that compares to ZTJ. I'm down to two web novels now, ZTJ and Sovereign of the Three Realms. I gave up on actively following World of Cultivation and Emperor's Domination a while ago. I'm sure I'll go back and catch up/finish them at some point though.

Thanks for the recommend of Sovereign, I definitely need something that isn't garbage on my usual list. Except for ZTJ, I'm up-to-date on Kenkyo, and Cultivation Chat Group, which got picked up by someone else after it was recently dropped.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012

Furious Lobster posted:

Thanks for the recommend of Sovereign, I definitely need something that isn't garbage on my usual list. Except for ZTJ, I'm up-to-date on Kenkyo, and Cultivation Chat Group, which got picked up by someone else after it was recently dropped.

SOTR is actually pretty bad. Try My Disciple Died Yet Again or A Will Eternal if you want something that's not garbage.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i've been reading invincible lately, and while it seems like a hilarious parody it is actually completely in earnest. the mc reincarnates and then kinda stumbles on to 8 million different amazing advantages so that he can feud with 5 year olds. later on he does the ostentatious display of wealth at the auction house thing, but the story neglects to ever say where he got said wealth. he goes to an academy that has 4 years, except each 'year' lasts for multiple years for everyone without 8 million advantages. it's terrible even by the low, low standards of chinese wn power fantasies but it makes me laugh.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012
By the way, for anyone that's interested, I Shall Seal the Heavens is finally fully translated.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Neurophage posted:

By the way, for anyone that's interested, I Shall Seal the Heavens is finally fully translated.

Woohoo! Now Deathblade can go back to translating A Will Eternal.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

blastron posted:

Woohoo! Now Deathblade can go back to translating A Will Eternal.

Well in a month or two, he wants to actually read the whole thing that's out there so he gets a better sense of the story and what things should be translated at. Still, ISStH ended strong with the origin of Lord Third. Truly, there is no one else who deserved the last word more.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Welcome back, Blastron.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

So my brain has decided to interpret that umlaut as a diaeresis and I'm reading "Maïne" as "ma-iin".

Progress! :toot:

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Autonomous Monster posted:

So my brain has decided to interpret that umlaut as a diaeresis and I'm reading "Maïne" as "ma-iin".

Progress! :toot:

Close enough.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

For as crummy as I thought the last half of ISSTH became the last book wrapped up really nicely. Now to wait for AWE to start in earnest

Im a really big sucker for a long denoument that visits all the characters.

Chen Fan really hosed up. IDK why but his betrayal hit me even though he was sort of a nonentity after book 1

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah, if I've invested 1600 chapters in something I at least want a thorough ending. It was certainly a lot better than I Eat Tomatoes' endings.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Su Li rules. I like that just his letters were enough to put everyone back in their places after they thought they could gently caress around because he was gone. I hope he shows back up in the novel later on when Chen Changsheng and the rest of the younger group are a little closer to his level. I suppose Chen Changsheng needs to surpass him by the time he's 20 to survive so it theoretically isn't that far away.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
40 millenniums of cultivation is so good. the last chapter was essentially a vr college ethics course where the mc passed by explaining why it was better to have a functional society with laws and morals than the usual wuxia setting where being a murderous, amoral thief is considered ideal behavior.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

40 millenniums of cultivation is so good. the last chapter was essentially a vr college ethics course where the mc passed by explaining why it was better to have a functional society with laws and morals than the usual wuxia setting where being a murderous, amoral thief is considered ideal behavior.

Unless something's changed recently (I haven't been keeping up since the school graduation/wandering the earth arc), "not being an amoral shitlord" is a standard 40k's MC struggles to meet. I'd say that's the worst part of the novel, in fact; the guy's kind of a total rear end in a top hat, but the author wants you to think he's a real cool dude, and goes to great lengths to torture and humiliate any character that disagrees, even momentarily.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I dropped 40 Millennia after the MC declared he'd basically turn the worst college artificer department into the best one. This was following a streak of other really bold declarations coming true. Eh.

EDIT: And, yeah, the MC doesn't have much of a leg to stand on moral wise.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like the setting. the rest isn't great, tbh.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i like the setting. the rest isn't great, tbh.

Agreed. It's a good setting.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Kaja Rainbow posted:

Agreed. It's a good setting.

:yeah:

Any other story in that setting, I'd be down for.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
I like the setting, and I like that he is a refiner.... however, it seems he'll be the classic 'I do pills better than anyone else AND I fight better with anyone else' thing, so...

But yeah, the main character himself is fairly classic xanxia, though maybe not as awful as some others. It's the setting and secondary chars that make it entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Chen Changsheng: cultivation genius, teacher extraordinaire, and still denser than loving osmium. :allears: