Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

I am completely trained to be skeptical of any organization named "_____ of Concerned ______"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

glorious leader has a huge dick

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

which fuckin time zone guys. you gotta specify.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Squizzle posted:

idiot fuckin ik probated me today

Obviously not posting enough Power Rangers gifs

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

TeriZCa8!a posted:

Serious question, genuinely curious. It's seems that last 2 days WAY less traffic on this thread...whats. up with that?

also along with the July 4 thing, people are figuring out that trump is all talk and no walk and feel less of a need to obsessively follow everything that's happening

I only check in a few times a day, I figure once he ACTUALLY does something major, I'll know about it through my phone anyway

there probably isn't going to be a major reality-defining crisis or immediate fascism or anything, just a slow decline into Russia-style cold-wet-and-muddy dystopia

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

mdemone posted:

which fuckin time zone guys. you gotta specify.

2 hours

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

do it Kim

light the match, set this powderkeg off

kaboom

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

fat piece of poo poo is all talk and no action. don't get excited/despondent until he actually *does* something.

Decisions require leadership, and fat orange pissbaby has decades of history showing a vacuum of it in every activity and dealing he's ever done.

He thinks his lack of leadership is a virtue or 'smart', so it will take a lot of pressure or a bizarre happy accident for him to inadvertently create any change. As much as he hates him, he's most comfortable standing beneath the coattails of Obama while he bleats and complains endlessly about childish things.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

fits my needs posted:

I hope we invade Ecuador

The weak American armed forces can't even invade Afghanistan correctly :sad:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Kim Jong-un is stepping down to make way for a successor...

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/BNONews/status/882099104893079553

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

TeriZCa8!a posted:

Serious question, genuinely curious. It's seems that last 2 days WAY less traffic on this thread...whats. up with that?

everyones eating hotdogs

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE

It was a good book overall, but I think I'm ready to never read a supernatural book that centers around and affluent and anxious, cloistered young white woman becoming slowly unhinged as a metaphor for her evolving sexuality or some such trope again.

The horror part wasn't really there for me, but I liked the premise overall. I liked the characters and how they were presented in a weirdly alternating cycle of awful and good, except the doctor who is pretty solidly implacable the whole time, only to reveal that his other half is his wife.

As for the ending, that's going to be something I have to chew over a bit. I am not sure if it's the final, inevitable act of the sort of story I described at the beginning of this review, or if it was a final lashing out of the evil of the house itself. I like the ambiguity and I'm not sure I'll ever settle on one clear answer.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

MaxxBot posted:

Kim Jong-un is stepping down to make way for a successor...

i support the guacamole vanguard

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/costareports/status/882101091508334594

Chunky Salsa
Aug 31, 2016

"Isn't that right, Zach?"

Epic High Five posted:

THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE

It was a good book overall, but I think I'm ready to never read a supernatural book that centers around and affluent and anxious, cloistered young white woman becoming slowly unhinged as a metaphor for her evolving sexuality or some such trope again.

The horror part wasn't really there for me, but I liked the premise overall. I liked the characters and how they were presented in a weirdly alternating cycle of awful and good, except the doctor who is pretty solidly implacable the whole time, only to reveal that his other half is his wife.

As for the ending, that's going to be something I have to chew over a bit. I am not sure if it's the final, inevitable act of the sort of story I described at the beginning of this review, or if it was a final lashing out of the evil of the house itself. I like the ambiguity and I'm not sure I'll ever settle on one clear answer.

Is that the one where it hints to more naughty stuff with the /builder/owner/his slave if you go to their web site for the stories, but it turns out the website hasn't been updated since 2000 and it's all gone?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Eternal God Emperor Jeb!

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

The weak American armed forces can't even invade Afghanistan correctly :sad:

I dunno if it's the 80s again can't we just fund some terrorists/freedom fighters or something?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Eternal God Emperor Jeb!

Cuck Yeah!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Chunky Salsa posted:

Is that the one where it hints to more naughty stuff with the /builder/owner/his slave if you go to their web site for the stories, but it turns out the website hasn't been updated since 2000 and it's all gone?

If that's the case it's a followup....there's no internet or anything with this one, just dorks playing in cricks and getting spooked after drinking too much brandy

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

fits my needs posted:

I dunno if it's the 80s again can't we just fund some terrorists/freedom fighters or something?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

WOLF IN THE WHITE VAN

You know when I read reviews for this book, I was expecting a Slaughterhouse Five-style jumping through time, of hopping and careening about in a way that would just make sense later, we promise. Maybe I'm just conditioned to this sort of narrative style, but it flowed just fine for me. It jumped back and forth a good deal, but nothing was ever in doubt about what was going on.

The book that this reminded me of most powerfully is by far "Hey, Nostradamus", only in reverse - sort of. Take a moment of profound and sudden extreme violence in the life of a young person and mark the years after, and the effects. Explore the psychological toll of trying to find meaning in the act for years and forever coming up short, because the source of it was itself a place of cruel, directionless savagery that doesn't even try to make sense. Conan, or more accurately the narrator's interpretation of Conan, is a very obvious nod to this.

I thought the thing that cinched it together for me was about midway through, mentioning how he now knew why his younger self was so conflicted. His reasoning for that sounded for all the world like profound depression, though I will not spoil it here. But it is never said explicitly, pretty much nothing is, which is something I enjoyed about this book.

It's an ugly, visceral, straightforward book that doesn't promise answers or a happy ending, but promises to deliver something else instead. That something is told in the story of Trace Italian I am sure, but I will have to read this again before I think I know enough to claim confidence on that.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

http://i.imgur.com/V1mR30l.mp4

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

those are weird cattes

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

fits my needs posted:

Wonder who's gonna be the next Osama

Is it...is it me?!?

Chunky Salsa
Aug 31, 2016

Epic High Five posted:

If that's the case it's a followup....there's no internet or anything with this one, just dorks playing in cricks and getting spooked after drinking too much brandy

I just vaguely remember the side chapter with the slave lady who was like "And then he took me into the barn and..." then if you read the back of the book it links to their website for more of her story before she flings herself out a window

But I may be thinking of a different haunted mansion book

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Wonder who's gonna be the next Osama

Is it...is it me?!?
Take this!

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Jazerus posted:

those are weird cattes

Those are bog standard cats.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
I'm glad NK might now have a missile that can kill me

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Michael Bayleaf posted:

I'm glad NK might now have a missile that can kill me

Yeah how many miles is that many km hahaha fuckin metric system

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eternal God Emperor Jeb!

Eleven Eleven
Nov 12, 2016

Whelp, looks like we're going to war, boys. At least it didn't end up being Iran, just Korea Part 2. I hope the GOP won't be stupid enough to push for a draft, as that would probably be the straw to break the camel's back and get us a terror going.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Chunky Salsa posted:

I just vaguely remember the side chapter with the slave lady who was like "And then he took me into the barn and..." then if you read the back of the book it links to their website for more of her story before she flings herself out a window

But I may be thinking of a different haunted mansion book

Possibly? I don't remember anything of the sort with this one, but it was the audiobook version, tho unabriged

are you sure it wasn't a history of the list of black women that Jefferson raped until they bore his children?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

lol I forgot that the malcolm in the middle dude is a cuckboy weenie

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Pounded in the Butt by Mad Dog Mattis and His Love for the Corps

Chunky Salsa
Aug 31, 2016

Epic High Five posted:

Possibly? I don't remember anything of the sort with this one, but it was the audiobook version, tho unabriged

are you sure it wasn't a history of the list of black women that Jefferson raped until they bore his children?

Nope definitely a spooky mansion that they added onto continually and in a strange manner until the current residents came in

But you know could still be Jefferson

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rah! posted:

lol I forgot that the malcolm in the middle dude is a cuckboy weenie

wait what happened to break frankey muniz's brain

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

so like an hour and a half

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU