Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

sorry west coast goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

HailedUser posted:

Whelp, looks like we're going to war, boys. At least it didn't end up being Iran, just Korea Part 2. I hope the GOP won't be stupid enough to push for a draft, as that would probably be the straw to break the camel's back and get us a terror going.

God I hope there's a draft

And women can be in combat roles now lmao :getin:

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

you guys finally get your dream of the NCR but the twilight zone twist is that everywhere that's not the west coast wasn't nuked

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Still no elephants though.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

SOLARIS

Lem never ceases to impress. A confrontation in an alien land with a being absolutely incomprehensible to the human mind, and if it is to be assumed that the ocean is rational, very likely we are to it.

It's tough to label a book that sweeps over so much strangeness, but calling it science fiction seems wrong. The science aspect of it is omnipresent, but not core to much in the way it is with typical "hard" sci-fi like The Martian. It is on the edges, highlighting the strangeness by verifying it, setting it aside emphatically from the more dreamlike and philosophical aspects of the book.

I recommend it highly, and for one of the first times I'm actually going to go ahead and watch the two movies adapted from this novel, because I'm genuinely curious as to how it would be presented.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

Honestly him using @POTUS to boost his own tweets is, even with everything else he is and does, is really vulgar

he's playing risk

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

you guys finally get your dream of the NCR but the twilight zone twist is that everywhere that's not the west coast wasn't nuked

i'm OK with California getting nuked, as long Kim Jong Un spells out "PISS TAPE IS REAL" with the mushroom clouds

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

zeal posted:

wait what happened to break frankey muniz's brain

some say it was an encounter w zordon, some say it was drugs

some say zordon made the drugs

Eleven Eleven
Nov 12, 2016

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

God I hope there's a draft

And women can be in combat roles now lmao :getin:

I'm 25. I really hope there isn't because there's a non-insignificant chance that I'll be drafted if there is.

Chunky Salsa
Aug 31, 2016

"Isn't that right, Zach?"

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I'm in AZ so I was always pretty boned

Remember to take points in speech/charisma for me, though

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Piss tape release?

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

zeal posted:

wait what happened to break frankey muniz's brain

Scottsdale, AZ

He's a child star whose parents didn't steal everything and he handled his money well so good for him, I guess.

I blame Scottsdale Arizona and imagine when I type this that I'm saying it and spitting the city/state words out like black poisonous bile.

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

Bilirubin posted:

Still no elephants though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

zakkro
May 29, 2015

Epic High Five posted:

SOLARIS

Lem never ceases to impress. A confrontation in an alien land with a being absolutely incomprehensible to the human mind, and if it is to be assumed that the ocean is rational, very likely we are to it.

It's tough to label a book that sweeps over so much strangeness, but calling it science fiction seems wrong. The science aspect of it is omnipresent, but not core to much in the way it is with typical "hard" sci-fi like The Martian. It is on the edges, highlighting the strangeness by verifying it, setting it aside emphatically from the more dreamlike and philosophical aspects of the book.

I recommend it highly, and for one of the first times I'm actually going to go ahead and watch the two movies adapted from this novel, because I'm genuinely curious as to how it would be presented.

I dug the first adaptation. Never read any of Lem's novels, though, which I'll rectify eventually.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Jesus you go to watch a movie and suddenly there's a war on

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
korean news logo looks like the kind of flier they try to stuff into your hands as you stumble out of a rave

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

SOLARIS

The Russian one is long, weird and often boring - but Natalia Bondarchuk is gorgeous.

The Clooney one is shorter, less weird and often boring - but the visuals are quite nice and the soundtrack is gorgeous.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

HailedUser posted:

I'm 25. I really hope there isn't because there's a non-insignificant chance that I'll be drafted if there is.

have you considered our freedoms?

Chunky Salsa
Aug 31, 2016

If Fallout really happens though instead of being pre-war ghouls with neat and terrible stories some poor bastard is going to have to spend the rest of their very long lives explaining how dumb 2017 was

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Bethamphetamine posted:

Scottsdale, AZ

He's a child star whose parents didn't steal everything and he handled his money well so good for him, I guess.

I blame Scottsdale Arizona and imagine when I type this that I'm saying it and spitting the city/state words out like black poisonous bile.

Sucks that 'typical rich rear end in a top hat' is a high water mark for child actors

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

thx for owlz

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

SOLARIS

Both movies are good. I especially like Soderbergh's as it evokes a very particular mood, a kind of haunting unreality that really sells the alien otherness of the book.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

sorry west coast goons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGhP3p6lI3U

Junkyard Poodle
May 6, 2011

Bethamphetamine posted:

Scottsdale, AZ

I've got a family member who is pretty close to Muniz's family and I've met them a few times (never Frankie) and they are nice normal people with well paying jobs. basically the ideal parents for a child actor.

Chunky Salsa
Aug 31, 2016

Bethamphetamine posted:

Scottsdale, AZ

As someone who lives in AZ, Scottsdale is possibly the worst part of a garbage state

Sure up north you get MAGA weirdos and end times Mormons but Scottsdale is where the people who like to think they're rich and affluent congregate to make terrible decisions. It's also still in a terrible 110 degree heat instead of the smarter people who live up north who have actual trees

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

HailedUser posted:

Whelp, looks like we're going to war, boys. At least it didn't end up being Iran, just Korea Part 2. I hope the GOP won't be stupid enough to push for a draft, as that would probably be the straw to break the camel's back and get us a terror going.

hope there is a draft so i can suck off all the hot soldiers while we are deployed

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Kilmers Elbow posted:

The Russian one is long, weird and often boring - but Natalia Bondarchuk is gorgeous.

The Clooney one is shorter, less weird and often boring - but the visuals are quite nice and the soundtrack is gorgeous.

Neiher one really touches on the book tbh, with the descriptions of the planet itself and the profound alienness of it and what that means, which is impossible to express in non-words

I actually recommend the book before hte movie because the book takes less time to read than the movie to watch

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

zakkro posted:

I dug the first adaptation. Never read any of Lem's novels, though, which I'll rectify eventually.

If you like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, I highly recommend They Cyberiad.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Slamhound posted:

Both movies are good. I especially like Soderbergh's as it evokes a very particular mood, a kind of haunting unreality that really sells the alien otherness of the book.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Clooney Solaris tbh, even if it lacks the elements from the book that I adore. Like, a lot. I need to watch it, at least because I loved the book so much,.

zakkro
May 29, 2015

Slamhound posted:

If you like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, I highly recommend They Cyberiad.

I read that series for the first time this year, so yeah

thx for the rec

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

HailedUser posted:

there will absolutely not be a draft

america's youth is too obese and too out-of-shape for a draft to succeed, and the current military is too focused on technology anyway to really get any real benefit out of a draft

what's likely to happen in the scenario you present is extreme bonuses for joining the military *if* you can pass their requirements

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

gently caress Scottsdale

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

USA preemptive nuclear strike
Total annihilation of NK
Nuclear winter cancels out global warming
Constitution amended, God Emperor Trump

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i feel like a lot of goons are 4f on moral standards grounds

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMTz9nIUkGc

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

there will absolutely not be a draft

america's youth is too obese and too out-of-shape for a draft to succeed, and the current military is too focused on technology anyway to really get any real benefit out of a draft

what's likely to happen in the scenario you present is extreme bonuses for joining the military *if* you can pass their requirements

they'll just do what they did when iraq was getting really poo poo and unpopular and relax recruitment standards until the entry requirement is the ability to sign your name and tie your shoes

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

SpaceGoku posted:

they'll just do what they did when iraq was getting really poo poo and unpopular and relax recruitment standards until the entry requirement is the ability to sign your name and tie your shoes

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/jonathancristol/status/882107504339148800

get a load of kim jong un's nuclear missile, dork thinks he's gonna burn

1024x768
Oct 25, 2004

oh god
birding is an extremely rewarding hobby that can be enjoyed during every stage of your life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Epic High Five posted:

I've heard a lot of good things about the Clooney Solaris tbh, even if it lacks the elements from the book that I adore. Like, a lot. I need to watch it, at least because I loved the book so much,.

It focuses on the relationship between Chris and Rhea (loads of flashbacks etc) and does it quite well. But a lot of the book gets lost - there's very little examination of what's going on with Solaris itself. I like it but I'm in a minority in my neck of the woods.

• Locked thread