Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

nows the time to join a seminary or other ministerial school to get that ministerial deferment that you can then use to back up yr conscientious objector claim after the ministerial deferment runs out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
The DORK threat

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

I've heard a lot of good things about the Clooney Solaris tbh, even if it lacks the elements from the book that I adore. Like, a lot. I need to watch it, at least because I loved the book so much,.
It focuses on relationship drama which you might find off-putting, but the relationship is as much a stand-in for Humanity and Solaris.

Also, LOL @ a draft. As though a nation of military-worshiping jagoffs wouldn't straight up riot at the possibility of being drafted into the military.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

america's proud large son

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

hope there is a draft so i can suck off all the hot soldiers while we are deployed

lol if you think there are hot soldiers when you're in he thick of it. it's not the fun halloween sort

but i welcome the starship troopers future

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

ok maybe not now but just remember how appealing religion has always been to you!!!!!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

that dude probably needs help tying his shoes

zakkro
May 29, 2015

Squizzle posted:

nows the time to join a seminary or other ministerial school to get that ministerial deferment that you can then use to back up yr conscientious objector claim after the ministerial deferment runs out

I'm ordained, does that count?

Or will I have to do something? Ugh

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Squizzle posted:

Just get hella fat and develop diabetes to get a medical discharge. bing bong

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

fits my needs posted:

Just get hella fat and develop diabetes to get a medical discharge. bing bong

a few years back the military put out a report saying that America is in serious trouble in case of a real war because most of the kids are too fat to draft.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I shouldn't be mocking fat people, I'm gonna gain like ten pounds tomorrow

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

Guy Goodbody posted:

a few years back the military put out a report saying that America is in serious trouble in case of a real war because most of the kids are too fat to draft.

Hell yeah bitch

(It's me)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Kilmers Elbow posted:

It focuses on the relationship between Chris and Rhea (loads of flashbacks etc) and does it quite well. But a lot of the book gets lost - there's very little examination of what's going on with Solaris itself. I like it but I'm in a minority in my neck of the woods.

I'll give it a shot tbh, while I love the alien consciousness poo poo I also pretty much understood how impossible it would be to really incorporate that like Lem did. Lem was a loving crazy and beautiful person and you can kind of parcel out what he create and create a fractal of gorgeous beauty from the various bits and facets of the stories he created

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Squizzle posted:

i feel like a lot of goons are 4f on moral standards grounds

wtf are moral standards?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

GobiasIndustries posted:

wtf are moral standards?

I think you can get a dishonorable discharge if you have an affair

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

https://twitter.com/ArmsControlWonk/status/882107826285363200

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Honestly tho I've been meaning to find a good church, I had a good one in HS and college that both focused on helping the local community.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

I think you can get a dishonorable discharge if you have an affair

This explains why so many republicans are on their third wives.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

hope there is a draft so i can suck off all the hot soldiers while we are deployed

Buddy, you don't need a draft or a tour. You can suck off most any soldier anytime anywhere.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

fag

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
i have a buddy back home who signed up for the army like a moron after we graduated in the early 2000s. he was in fairly decent shape for his age. he played sports in high school and always did well on the mile but his physique and the fact that he constantly stole old styles from his constantly day drinking parents meant he couldnt pass the bodyfat portion

so his recruiter bought him a membership to ballys total fitness and told him to try again in 30 days. three days into this his parents found out and called him to the kitchen. they were seated at the dinner table with a large dominos pizza and a 12 pack of old style

"son, this is your breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day. you are not going to pass that physical.

and he didnt.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'm hollerin' for hellfire, not screaming for nukes, pal

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the most patriotic thing to do today would be to start a world war, probably

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

cumshitter posted:

i have a buddy back home who signed up for the army like a moron after we graduated in the early 2000s. he was in fairly decent shape for his age. he played sports in high school and always did well on the mile but his physique and the fact that he constantly stole old styles from his constantly day drinking parents meant he couldnt pass the bodyfat portion

so his recruiter bought him a membership to ballys total fitness and told him to try again in 30 days. three days into this his parents found out and called him to the kitchen. they were seated at the dinner table with a large dominos pizza and a 12 pack of old style

"son, this is your breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day. you are not going to pass that physical.

and he didnt.

this is probably the single best dominos advertisement ive ever seen

Chunky Salsa
Aug 31, 2016

"Isn't that right, Zach?"

Bethamphetamine posted:

Buddy, you don't need a draft or a tour. You can suck off most any soldier anytime anywhere.

Confirmed

Edit: For lady troops as well

Chunky Salsa has issued a correction as of 06:50 on Jul 4, 2017

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

cumshitter posted:

and he didnt.

You have the best stories.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

cumshitter posted:

and he didnt.

Take this and add 3 years and you have me, walking into a recruiters office, desperately poor and insanely depressed and just looking for a bit of hope

They did some test that I aced excpet for one rigged aswer because APPLES DO HAVE TRACE AMOUNT OIF PROTEINS IN THEM GODDAMNIT and then tried ot play mum and super chill about getting me in for the ASVAB this week but WHOOPS I pissed hot on their little test and thus hey maybe come in next week

I never went in next week of course, fuckin trace amounts of weed kept me from geting shot guarding some poppy field in Afganhistnntnitn lmao

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

cumshitter posted:

and he didnt.

My father was a marine, my oldest brother was a marine, I have another brother who was a marine, and one more brother who served in a non-marine branch of the military. I was the youngest and they each made sure to share their opinions on military service with me. Even with zero experience, I can certify with assurity that those parents are exceptionally awesome people.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Remember like 3 months ago that birthday celebration of Kim Il-sung where a bunch of Twitter journos went "Holy poo poo these weapon models they trotted out, these are like we've never seen before", and a lot of people dismissed that as North Korea parading out fake missile shells?

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

SKULL.GIF posted:

Remember like 3 months ago that birthday celebration of Kim Il-sung where a bunch of Twitter journos went "Holy poo poo these weapon models they trotted out, these are like we've never seen before", and a lot of people dismissed that as North Korea parading out fake missile shells?

so russia is giving them missile tech right?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

so russia is giving them missile tech right?

How is this not racist?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Hmm, so if North Korea CAN start building long-range missiles now, what actually makes sense from a policy standpoint?

I kind of like "wait and see" but "regional cooperation leading to a first strike" isn't indefensible under those circumstances, which is pretty depressing.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

anyway draft procedures and all that poo poo havent been updated since like the 80s so all the old strategies to beat the draft board might not even apply in the phenomenally unlikely event the nation has a draft any time soon

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Salt Fish posted:

How is this not racist?

lmebo

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

vanilla :sad:

vanilla is the worst favorite ice cream flavor

as sure as old folks want butter pecan assholes want vanilla :smugdon:

they dont even serve it at the best soft serve places i been to

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

i remember speculation that either china or russia provided NK the means to acquire said icbms. i think i also remember vladimir putin saying people would forget about the investigation into trump and collusion with russia right around... this month i think

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

http://i.imgur.com/8UgWrNZ.mp4

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Salt Fish posted:

How is this not racist?

can't be racist against russians they're just fuckedup white people

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Squizzle posted:

anyway draft procedures and all that poo poo havent been updated since like the 80s so all the old strategies to beat the draft board might not even apply in the phenomenally unlikely event the nation has a draft any time soon

i wore a conscientious objector button for years til it fell off which is a big step to getting CO status lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

why do you post scary things that want to eat squirrels so much is not very nice

• Locked thread