Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
drat, mormons got to him already. he's going to rock the full Brigham Young by the preseason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Didn't know Ricky was the werewolf guy from True Blood

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
You shall call him Ricardo now

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
People just want the Celtics to be better so the games are more fun tobwatch in the playoffs.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Full Beard Ricky is an obvious Alpha. Get that man to Chicago

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

the most fun playoff thing would be watching playoff lebron poo poo all over bad teams imo

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Are there explicit league rules that prohibit things like promising players post-retirement employment with the organization? Can teams offer first-class plane tickets, hotels etc to games to a player's family without it being considered compensation, or lease a team-owned house to a player at $1/month? Seems like such perks could add up to real money, and would not be eaten up by taxes, agents' commissions etc.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

socketwrencher posted:

Are there explicit league rules that prohibit things like promising players post-retirement employment with the organization? Can teams offer first-class plane tickets, hotels etc to games to a player's family without it being considered compensation, or lease a team-owned house to a player at $1/month? Seems like such perks could add up to real money, and would not be eaten up by taxes, agents' commissions etc.

Yes

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

THE EASTERN CONFERENCE IS STILL TECHNICALLY THE NBA

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ak47 signed for a suspiciously cheap deal with the Nets and after he retired he became commish of the Russian Basketball Federation

Also his long lost, distant great uncle died and left him his castle made of gold

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
2017-18 East All Star Starters

LeBron, King Zing, Boston Future Assets, The Process (the concept)*, one lucky fan in section 108

*injury replacement for The Process, the person

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 4, 2017

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

R.D. Mangles posted:

THE EASTERN CONFERENCE IS STILL TECHNICALLY THE NBA

the system works!

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Thanks. So yes to explicit prohibitions and yes it's cool for teams to offer lucrative perks?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is Doc Rivers seriously trying to trade another 1st rounder

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the NBA needs to put together a grant package to convince an All-Star level player to play in this godforsaken conference

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

R.D. Mangles posted:

the NBA needs to put together a grant package to convince an All-Star level player to play in this godforsaken conference

*susan sarandon voice* for only $1.98 a day, the price of a cup of coffee, you too can convince gordon hayward to to play on the east coast

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Spoeank posted:

2017-18 East All Star Starters

LeBron, King Zing, Boston Future Assets, The Process (the concept)*, one lucky fan in section 108

*injury replacement for The Process, the person

too bad that Cash Considerations ended up staying in the west

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Congrats to MV on the Jazz keeping Heyward and Peter Jok finally getting to team up with Sanjay Lumpkin in Summer League.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MECGA Trump will bring those stars back to the rust belt

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Trump was right when he said it's absolute carnage in Chicago right now

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

kingcobweb posted:

Trump was right when he said it's absolute carnage in Chicago right now

Gar Foreman is providing guns and drugs to inner city Chicago youths.

Please arrest him.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Dexo posted:

Gar Foreman is providing guns and drugs to inner city Chicago youths.

At least they might have someone that can shoot now

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Clearly as a Spurs fan I can empathize. Why isn't anyone insulting RC Buford? We still have our openly unhappy second fiddle aging PF who as far as I can tell still hasn't come back from the devastating move of unfollowing Spurs social media. I mean, we haven't done anything of value! Just (mostly) resigned a 61 win 2nd place team that was beating the best team in history before Georgian warcrimes.
I'm actually half unironic since the Western arms race of the last X weeks means standing pat is going backwards.

to answer the unironic part of you, i'm half expecting PATFO to clean up in a very spursy way after most other teams cap themselves out of existence (not that we're not capped out too). there are plenty of serviceable players just sitting on the open market. our biggest shortage is bigs and someone posted early a large list of bigs that are still available and no one is talking about. i can see this insane market creating a bevy of decent-qualty players on incredibly friendly contracts. even george hill couldn't find a (long term) home.

we'll see, obviously bringing back the same team will have its benefits. but man, DJ may have much further to go than I thought after tonights uninspired summer league display (-15 or something like that). 82 games is a lot of seasoning, and having a real team around him would help, but man he and the whole team just looked awful.

other than that, i'm expecting some random players to be signed later and having them turn in to moderately successful role players.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

socketwrencher posted:

Thanks. So yes to explicit prohibitions and yes it's cool for teams to offer lucrative perks?

Yes there are explicit prohibitions and those perks that you mentioned probably would attract the attention of the commissioner's office.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Also the Spurs don't take poo poo because their front office doesn't leak every potential deal and negotiation and use the media as a weapon to show how you tried but the other team was dumb.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Ooo I missed a serious few pages of posting

cravius posted:

normal brain: revenue sharing is fair

exploding brain: revenue sharing is literal slavery
"slavery" started showing up after you posted:

cravius posted:

Many small business people who are "capital" have become millionaires by putting in a lot more work than dudes like OJ Mayo. So excuse me if I don't have a lot of sympathy for guys who would honestly probably play for free making "only tens of millions"
"that guy should work for free" is not "revenue sharing", it's something else, hmm, what's the word for it?

I read that and I'm like:

Dexo posted:

lmao at basketball players not having to put in insane amounts of work for their craft.

Yeah! Yes being tall is an incredible advantage, but how do some fans not understand how much WORK goes into being a professional athlete?

Yes, playing sports is fun. But the incredible amount of work the players do to improve themselves is work. We get to watch the, what, ~90 minutes out of the week where their job is sometimes fun? We don't watch the rest of the week where it's neverending film sessions, several workouts a day, inevitable months of rehab from injuries, hard practices, relentless travel, covert meetings with shady PED distributors etc, etc, etc.

They're worth the salary because they're so loving good at basketball that stadiums fill up with thousands of people, just to watch them play for half an hour or so. People purchase poo poo cable packages, sit through an ungodly amount of terrible, terrible commercials, and pay for streaming services to watch them play, and the players themselves are the only irreplaceable part of that product.

socketwrencher posted:

There are absolutely rules against that. After the 1999-2000 season the league found out the Timberwolves had promised a completely average player with the completely average name of Joe Smith a future good contract if he'd sign with them for cheaper right then. They voided the last year of his contract and the T-Wolves had to forfeit FIVE first round draft picks, which is huge and hosed them up for a long, long time. It's almost certainly the main reason they have the longest playoffs drought in the league (made conference finals in '04), one year longer than the Seattle Supersonics (made semis in '05), a team which does not exist anymore.

There are highly believable rumors that Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov offered Andre Kirilenko (AK47) a promise of future employment to sign with the Nets for dirt cheap, but, well, I don't think an American basketball league is ideally equipped to examine the finances and behind-the-scenes dealing of Russian Oligarchs. It sounds like a terrifying thing to attempt. Also, Kirilenko's play fell off a cliff as soon as he signed there so in retrospect it kinda looked like a fair deal, maybe it was just Prokhorov making another one of those mysteriously prescient business decisions, like in 2007 when he traded Norilsk Nickel for a 14% share in RUSAL and about 7 billion dollars worth of cash + cash considerations--he sold about where that dot is in this chart:

Or maybe it was just regular good ol' fashioned regular corruption like how he got Norilsk in the first place during the 90s loans-for-shares privatization era. Anyhow I'm getting off track because I think it's interesting that the Nets owner is an extremely scary person who is far above the law, but yes the stuff you're talking about would absolutely be a huge problem, and the benefits that the teams can provide a player outside of a contract (practice facilities, team doctors) is most likely spelled out in tremendously boring detail somewhere in the massive CBA

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 4, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

When is Hayward going to wake up.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

euphronius posted:

When is Hayward going to wake up.

are you familiar with the typical gamer's sleep schedule

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Dreamed Hayward joined the Celtics and he gave me a big bowl of ice cream and we played PUBG together while eating 'ream. Word is born

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The current crop of Celtics plus PG or Haywood don't beat LeBrontron or the Warriors anytime soon. In retrospect, Ainge's plan is to use all the Nets assets and Process his way to 2020 with the added luxury of a 50 win team to avoid the flak the Sixers got.

I still have no idea why he wanted Tatum tho

This. Plus by both competing and building they hope to remain an attractive spot for a big FA signing when the time is right. The rich man's version of The Process.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Lmao

https://twitter.com/ByTimReynolds/status/882212919840305153

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
How many people in the world can do what Kevin Durant does? Like three or four.

How many people in the world can even do what, say, DJ Augustin does? Like 500 max

How many people in the world could do what Joe Lacob does? Hundreds of thousands at least.

And as for how many people in the world could do what James Dolan does....

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/882229524229967877

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Salvor_Hardin posted:

This. Plus by both competing and building they hope to remain an attractive spot for a big FA signing when the time is right. The rich man's version of The Process.

There's a lot of smoke about LeBron leaving the Cavs next summer and the Warriors will start having cap issues in two years when Klay is up for a new contract and Draymond the year after that. Seems like building to compete in the next year or two is as good a time as any.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Punkin Spunkin posted:

drat, mormons got to him already. he's going to rock the full Brigham Young by the preseason

Actually, Ricky's beard is good and saved this thread.

Also MourningView please tell me about my new team. I only know, like, 4 players and I'm still not sure if Hayward's sticking around.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/882236293333356544

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
They are not going to max Klay in 2019 and then Draymond in 2020 and keep both. They will either

a) Max Klay in 2019, trade Draymond with one year left on his deal
b) Max Klay in 2019 and then trade him before you max Draymond in 2020
c) Trade Klay in 2018 with one year left on his deal

or I guess d) Joe Lacob's magic hypno-ray convinces both Klay and Draymond to sign for less than the max and the Warriors win every title until 2024

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

tanglewood1420 posted:

They are not going to max Klay in 2019 and then Draymond in 2020 and keep both. They will either

a) Max Klay in 2019, trade Draymond with one year left on his deal
b) Max Klay in 2019 and then trade him before you max Draymond in 2020
c) Trade Klay in 2018 with one year left on his deal

they'll be able to afford both when Durant agrees to be the first player ever to pay to play.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Adun posted:

There's a lot of smoke about LeBron leaving the Cavs next summer and the Warriors will start having cap issues in two years when Klay is up for a new contract and Draymond the year after that. Seems like building to compete in the next year or two is as good a time as any.

By 2030 the NBA will just be 28 teams trying to tank while the two Vegas favorites to win the conferences trade for everyone else's superstars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

tanglewood1420 posted:

How many people in the world can do what Kevin Durant does? Like three or four.

How many people in the world can even do what, say, DJ Augustin does? Like 500 max

How many people in the world could do what Joe Lacob does? Hundreds of thousands at least.

And as for how many people in the world could do what James Dolan does....

Then there would be hundreds of thousands of billionaires. There are way more people who have played in the NBA then billionaires

Lugnut Seatcushion fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 4, 2017

• Locked thread