Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

If dettol works for you then just use it. I was never impressed with simple green compared to just using scolding hot water a few times on metal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

!Klams posted:

I'm sort of interested in getting into this, and am looking at adeptus mechanicus, but I'm struggling to find a decent gallery anywhere that's just like, all the different units / models you can buy for admech? I think I only really like the look of skitarii and tech priests, but is it possible to use models from other armies that are still imperium? How can I see all the options for building an army with, the gw site is poo poo and I hate it.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-U...cat440130a-flat

Its not a gallery but its a page of all the products with tumbnails and 360 shots... basically a gallery.

If you want to know the rules for how they actually play, you're forced to buy the rules codex. This has always been one of the more awkward and awful parts of 40k. As a result, just about everybody pirates the codexes/rules first off and then maybe buys the hardcover books later on if they're convinced to commit to an army.

I'm not gonna post files but if you google around almost everybody shares the 40k rulebooks because... you need that info to get into the game. GW kinda shoots themselves in the foot, creating a huge barrier to entry on this hobby.

You need the 8th core rules as well as the Imperium Index 2 if you want to understand how AdMech play in 8th. Its going to take awhile for you to wrap your head around the tactics involved with all the unit options and optional upgrades, and even then it'll be a LONG time before you really understand the meta of 40k and what's good or not.

Honestly its too much for you to learn before you pick an army. Just look at which army looks coolest to you and has some cool fluff. If you like the look of the Admech "get started" kit, just buy that, paint it, and play some matches. Then you'll figure out over time which additional units to buy to build up your army.

A shortcut if you want some quick descriptions of units, they're dumb chan guides but most people swear by them

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000/Tactics(8E)

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000/Tactics/Adeptus_Mechanicus(8E)

But most of this is probably going to go over your head until you've actually played a few matches.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 4, 2017

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Wal-Mart should have Simple Green or the more concentrated version Purple Power which is usually cheaper in bulk (often in the auto section). No plastic/resin issues soaking longer term and can break down CA joints. Does struggle a little with thick paint in recesses or some spray primer undercoats. Definitely wear gloves with the Purple Power.

darnon fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 4, 2017

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Zaphod42 posted:

good or not.

Honestly its too much for you to learn before you pick an army. Just look at which army looks coolest to you and has some cool fluff. If you like the look of the Admech "get started" kit, just buy that, paint it, and play some matches. Then you'll figure out over time which additional units to buy to build up your army.

So, all of what you said is incredible, thanks! This is great. My problem is, that beyond the skitarii get started kit, I'm struggling to find what else I could add to my army? The few things I have seen I don't like as much, so I just wanted to see the complete list of things I could take before I committed to that. I'm only really thinking of getting into the game because the models look so loving dope, I don't really like the game play that much compared to other systems, but friends are playing it, so what they look like is actually of paramount importance, stupidly. I guess "it's complicated" is the answer though, so I'll see about "buying" a codex to work it out, cheers!

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

goose willis posted:

Trip report: Dettol works fantastic for stripping paint, left some models in a tub of it overnight and all the paint was gone and the details are still there

Next time I'll try Simple Green but I'll have to order it on Amazon because none of the stores near me have it

Was the paint actually gone or did you have to scrub the minis after? Because with simple green you still have to scrub them really good. I have 10 fuzzy primered Mordians sitting on my shelf that really need a bath.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

!Klams posted:

So, all of what you said is incredible, thanks! This is great. My problem is, that beyond the skitarii get started kit, I'm struggling to find what else I could add to my army? The few things I have seen I don't like as much, so I just wanted to see the complete list of things I could take before I committed to that. I'm only really thinking of getting into the game because the models look so loving dope, I don't really like the game play that much compared to other systems, but friends are playing it, so what they look like is actually of paramount importance, stupidly. I guess "it's complicated" is the answer though, so I'll see about "buying" a codex to work it out, cheers!

A lot of shop-owners might let you peek at the codex you're interested in, because worst case scenario for them you just walk away uninterested but best case you'll place a big order with them including the very codex you just got to read. If you were going to pirate it you already would have after all. Some of the better ones would even spend time discussing the merits of the army you're picking as well as set you up with some examples either from the shop itself or from galleries.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

!Klams posted:

Yeah I mostly paint and model and only actually play here and there. As for what other models there are, honestly a lot of big armies is just getting tons and tons of the same guys. Either bigger units of like 30 dudes, or even multiple units of the same dudes. (or both, having like 5 units of 30 of the same dudes.)

Its not all boring at least, because each sprue for a kit comes with several build options, so if you make 30 tactical marines or skitarii rangers, each one doesn't have to look exactly the same. You can pose them slightly different and swap heads and things around, and that changes the looks.

It is important you think about which gun upgrades you want for your dudes, since generally its best to have them modeled with the guns they're equipped with. (Some people care more about this than others) This again, is very bad since you don't even really know which guns are best yet. Other choices like helmets are just cosmetic, but some of the options have rules implications, like the guns.

I would just model some kits of rangers using the advise that 1d4chan gives for what guns to pick, and just paint them.

Personally I'm not as crazy about painting huge armies of dudes, so what I'm mostly playing now is Shadow War Armageddon, which is 40k on a smaller scale. The upside is that you only need to have like 10 guys for a whole team, and so it costs less and is easier to get into, and also allows more variety. Instead of picking up 30 of the same dudes, I can have a team of 10 orks and a team of 10 chaos and a team of 5 tyranids, you can jump around and collect different factions cheaper than you can when you're building a huge 2000 point 40k army list.

If you wanna know what options Admech has overall, just leaf through the GW official site that I linked you before. If you can find a few units you like, you can always spam lots of those units rather than taking the other units you don't like. Also, the Admech are Imperium, so you can ally in other Imperium units.

So if you wanted, you could start looking at Space Marines or Imperial Guard units that you like to mix in with your army too. Imperial units have the most allies and so you have by far the most variety of units available to field in 40k.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Gonna give this poo poo game one more go. Finished up Old One Eye:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

!Klams posted:

Honestly? I might just recommend another Start Collecting box. More troops can always be useful, and you could build one set as Rangers and the other as Vanguard to make them more unique. From reading the data sheet, the Dunecrawler should have a decent amount of options to build two of, too, and a second Dominus should help keep your troops healed rather consistently. That brings you at 42 Power, with 50 being the size of a small 1000-point game. Another set of basic troops, Ranger or Vanguard, is enough to bring you to an even 50 without deviating from the solid core of models you already like. It also gives you a solid Battalion detachment, which I'd say is a pretty smart target to shoot for if actually playing the game.

Of course, I personally like the look of Sicarians, Dragoons, and Kastelan Robots, if we're talking more esoteric Admech choices.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Bee posted:

Honestly? I might just recommend another Start Collecting box. More troops can always be useful, and you could build one set as Rangers and the other as Vanguard to make them more unique. From reading the data sheet, the Dunecrawler should have a decent amount of options to build two of, too, and a second Dominus should help keep your troops healed rather consistently. That brings you at 42 Power, with 50 being the size of a small 1000-point game. Another set of basic troops, Ranger or Vanguard, is enough to bring you to an even 50 without deviating from the solid core of models you already like. It also gives you a solid Battalion detachment, which I'd say is a pretty smart target to shoot for if actually playing the game.

Of course, I personally like the look of Sicarians, Dragoons, and Kastelan Robots, if we're talking more esoteric Admech choices.

I dunno about the 8th rules but in 7th dunecrawlers also got significantly better the more of them you had.

More Vanguard, Rangers and Dunecrawlers is a pretty solid way to go probably.

I also love the Kastelan Robots, they remind me of a Fallout style asthetic. And the Sydonian Dragoons are pretty wild, but maybe not for everybody.

The ruststalkers on the other hand I think are pretty werid, like the necron flayed ones. I don't hate them but I'm not crazy about them either. Infiltrators are cooler.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Zaphod42 posted:

I dunno about the 8th rules but in 7th dunecrawlers also got significantly better the more of them you had.

More Vanguard, Rangers and Dunecrawlers is a pretty solid way to go probably.

I also love the Kastelan Robots, they remind me of a Fallout style asthetic. And the Sydonian Dragoons are pretty wild, but maybe not for everybody.

The ruststalkers on the other hand I think are pretty werid, like the necron flayed ones. I don't hate them but I'm not crazy about them either. Infiltrators are cooler.

Yeah, agreed. I just think the spindly aesthetic is really neat, and makes a solid, chunky core like Castellans or Dunecrawlers stand out even more as a centerpiece.

Zaphod's right, too. A pair of Dunecrawlers lets you reroll invulnerable saves for both, which basically means anything on par with a Battlecannon or stronger becomes even easier to shrug off.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Genghis Cohen posted:

I do see your point and I agree that warts'n'all is the more sensible way to play the game, given the number of weird interactions. But I'm very aware that to the guys who write GW lovely rules, this is only meant to apply when you the player don't physically have any more models to finish off the unit. So that little Timmy can use his 5-man terminator squad even though one of them got lost, crushed or eaten by the dog. Not so competitive players can leverage a separate detachment of 5 models to feed their main force Command Points. That's what I meant by obtuse.

Yeah and I have no problem with how under strength units are handled in Narrative by making a person pay the cost for the full unit. Most of these "not enough models" situations will come up because the minimum unit size has gone up for a lot of things in 8th (Chaos Terminators have gone from minimum 3 to 5 for example) and its good to have a rule that covers that situation. GW then goes and says the opposite applies for Matched Play for some unknown loving reason and leaves the door wide open to what many would see as abuses of the rules. There was no reason for them to do that. Making someone pay the minimum unit size would let them play with the models they have, encourage them to replace missing models or expand their collection and would have completely avoided this kind of meta game fuckery.

I remember way back in 3rd Jervis complaining about the prevalence of 6-man lascannon/plasma gun Tactical Squads, saying he intended a per-model addition to represent under strength units. They still haven't figured out how to do this after nearly twenty years. Not one of them thought to give such a unit a Leadership penalty, restrict them to 0-1 or some other kind of malus (like paying the full unit cost). Nothing changes.

spacegoat posted:

Gonna give this poo poo game one more go. Finished up Old One Eye:

12/10 would get killed off-page by Ka'Bandha with

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Arven posted:

Was the paint actually gone or did you have to scrub the minis after? Because with simple green you still have to scrub them really good. I have 10 fuzzy primered Mordians sitting on my shelf that really need a bath.

I would say like 95% gone and then I scrubbed off the small remainder with a toothbrush and some rubbing alcohol (don't use water because this will gently caress things up)

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

adamantium|wang posted:

12/10 would get killed off-page by Ka'Bandha with

:arghfist::zoid:

e: no really this happened?

BIG MEATY SHITS fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 4, 2017

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Someone on eBay is selling 5th edition starter box marines, ten to a squad, poorly painted, for like twelve dollars each squad

Now that I know how comparatively easy it is to strip paint I might just buy some of those squads to have around as troop filler and/or color scheme practice

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

:arghfist::zoid:

e: no really this happened?

Nid special characters die and are reborn all the time.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Some of my in progress loyalist Thousand Sons.

I've got a few specks of drybrush that I need to cleanup on each model. Whoops.

I have some extensive lore I need to write up for this army, but they are Thousand Sons, mostly Pavoni and Athaenians - sucessors of the marines stationed on Arkkad who escaped the burning of Prospero. Primaris reserves from stasis. Something about the Primaris process keeps the flesh change in check (for now). They aggressively hunt heretic Thousand Sons. Unlike the Blood Ravens, they do not believe the Rubric to be reversible and seek to destroy Ahriman and Magnus. They are openly attempting to rebuild their legion, courting disaster (but the Thousand Sons are arrogant and the Pavoni particularly so). Most of this army know only the Great Crusade and Heresy, not the intervening Long War.

These Primaris Thousand Sons were kept on Zhao-Arkkad, a loyal Forge World that was openly loyal to the Thousand Sons during the Heresy and secretly loyal to them after the Scouring. Several Arkkadian forges protected the true identity of the [Sons of Khepri] space marine chapter - a chapter that was, in reality, a Thousand Sons successor. After the revival of Guilliman, the forges activated their Primaris reserves who immediately seized control of the chapter and reorganized it according to Prosperine (and Achaemenid) traditions - re-instituting the Red Orders and the Rehati (secret ranks within the formal rank structure) as well as the Pesedjet (the organization of the legion into nine fellowships or chapters).

Red helmets are standard marines.
Black helmets are sergeants, often with script to indicate the soldiers position within the Rehati.
Lieutenants are black helmets with gold grills.
Captains are gold helmets.
Veterans will likely be white helmets.

This Captain is a Magister-Templi, flanked by a sergeant and an intercessor. The Thousand Sons do not use squad markings and squad membership is known to be fluid - more subject to the requirements of the Rehati and its obscure code.

These guys will likely hit the field along with various relics from the Heresy, Skitarii and Cultists of Zhao-Arkkad, and perhaps elements of the once thought defunct Legio Lacrimae.

The Scarab on the right shoulder is a traditional symbol of the Thousand Sons and also the mark of Khepri, which according to Prosperine lore is also a symbol of rebirth. On the left most wear the mark of the legion. The captain bears the legion's numeral XV and some Prosperine script. Each of these warriors is oathed to the moment, perhaps to achieve a particular objective or uphold some demanding standard of battlefield conduct.

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 4, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If your loyalists met the prodigal sons, would they be allies, or enemies?

OTOH Magnus did nothing wrong, OTOH they're still tainted by chaos

Very clean work, I like the black shoulderpads to set them apart, so they don't just look like pre-heresy sons.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

GreenMarine posted:

Some of my in progress loyalist Thousand Sons.

Ok, that's hot.

Reviving heretic chapters? Extremely my poo poo.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Well, my Xenos 1 codex arrived, and I had never heard of Ynnari before, but as someone with eldar and dark eldar armies that has instantly become my jam. I'm gonna rebase the falling apart snow bases on my eldar tanks and get me some Ynnari leader dudes.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Zaphod42 posted:

Magnus did everything wrong

Ftfy

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Magnus is a super dumb dude and Russ should have bit his face off.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Magnus owns, death to the corpse emperor.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Zaphod42 posted:

If your loyalists met the prodigal sons, would they be allies, or enemies?

They would kill them. There is a broken sword from a heretic Thousand Sons sorcerer buried in the sand on the base of the captain. Hard to see in the image.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Magnus and Perturabo are basically the two primarchs that spent too much time playing League while their brothers were out being cool and good.

e: Lorgar is also a fat nerd, but for different reasons.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Speaking of 1K sons, Tzaangors are great this edition. What other close combat units would people recommend for a Tzeentch themed list? I could run a mixture of Thousand Sons, Daemons and then Tzeentch marked warp talons or similar (but would have to be another Tzeentch renegade chapter) but I suspect that would miss out on bonuses when the Tzeentch codex lands (I'm expecting something that rewards 1K sons and Daemons being taken together but not other heretic astartes). On the other hand, who knows when that will be? I guess as long as I don't go as overboard with Warp Talons as I am with my rapidly growing Ork army I guess I'll be ok.

PS God Ork kits are so fun. And the rules are just so fluffy. Can't quite say the same for 1K sons at the moment. Hopefully they'll get more spells soon and the Scarab Occult sorcerers will go back to knowing more than just Smite.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

JBP posted:

Magnus is a super dumb dude and Russ should have bit his face off.

Russ did everything wrong too.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

adamantium|wang posted:

Russ did everything wrong too.

He has one primary mission and the warmaster told him to do it. He shrugged his shoulders and said "sure whatever I want to kill Magnus anyway because he's a bookworm".

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

JBP posted:

He has one primary mission and the warmaster told him to do it. He shrugged his shoulders and said "sure whatever I want to kill Magnus anyway because he's a bookworm".

Russ feared Magnus. He feared the flesh change. He knew his own legion was subject to it. Russ witnessed the first flesh change and killed the first marine. He sought to kill Magnus out of fear and to try and stop his own legion from falling to the change. He failed, since the Wulfen first appeared at Prospero.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Stop trying to impede the creation of my own narrative.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Working on a red armor scheme. Black base with GameColor Scarlett Red then black ink and then dry brushed on Scarelett Red again to even out the red. Time to pick out the highlights with gory red and/or bloody red.

I just can't nail down what trim will make it pop that's not too overused.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
White/Yellow/Bone

Gold/Bronze/Copper/Brass/Tin

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

theironjef posted:

Well, my Xenos 1 codex arrived, and I had never heard of Ynnari before, but as someone with eldar and dark eldar armies that has instantly become my jam. I'm gonna rebase the falling apart snow bases on my eldar tanks and get me some Ynnari leader dudes.

The Ynnari leaders all come together as a set as well.

Fake Edit: Heh just noticed this while looking them up the new Primaris Captain and Librarian boxed together cost just as much as the Ynnari Leaders.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Gathering-Storm-Triumvirate-of-Ynnead?_requestid=16886461
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Space-Marine-Primaris-Heroes-2017

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
Can anyone recommend a decent load out for a jump pack Death Company squad?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Ynnari leaders all come together as a set as well.

Fake Edit: Heh just noticed this while looking them up the new Primaris Captain and Librarian boxed together cost just as much as the Ynnari Leaders.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Gathering-Storm-Triumvirate-of-Ynnead?_requestid=16886461
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-CA/Space-Marine-Primaris-Heroes-2017

Nice savings pre-ordering them together.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

New GW hasn't changed its Horrible Deal syndrome. There is no way that those kits cost anywhere near each other to produce. Big Boi Hype Is rEAL.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
Ahahahaholyshit that's absurd.

Like, I get that single character molds are expensive and may only have limited sales because people don't buy multiples of them, but $45 for one model is dumb. If only there were some other material they could forge their models out of. Perhaps metal or non lovely resin? No, that's what's truly absurd, nothing but plastic as far as the eye can see!

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

They used to kind of get away with it because e.g. the Marine captain was a good source of bitz but now you get a billion things in every box of dudes and the characters are monopose poo poo with no options at all.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I thought the new character models were like the old commander box. That's pretty fuckin bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
GW? Still not all good?

News at 10.