Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boz
Oct 16, 2005

haveblue posted:

It definitely does, I've noticed it's gotten significantly smoother.

Took a mission to retrieve some salvage, but after I got it I got blown up by pirates and lost it. There was a warning on the mission that the goods were unique and could not be recovered, and sure enough they aren't in my inventory any more and I wasn't able to find the signal source they came from again after respawning. Is this mission impossible to complete now? Can I do anything with it besides abandon?

I was also able accept a mission to a system my current ship is not capable of reaching. And I once got assigned to a landing pad that already had a ship on it (and the station fined me 400 credits for trespassing when I canceled the docking request to retry it). Pretty rocky start so far.

If that happens again, leave the station, cancel docking request, then request again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
So are the orca, beluga and dolphin class passenger transports still worthless?

And did they ever end up doing anything with luxury cabins?

Is fitting out a different ship and using it as a passenger ship still a more viable option?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I'm just using my AspX as a passenger liner. Stuck a size 6 and a size 3 business class in there and just trying to get my federation rep up. I would have used the size 5 for a passenger cabin too but oh god scooping with a size 3 fuel scoop is just painful.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Are the online resource databases accurate for PS4? Otherwise it's a long way to go for drugs

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
I farted in my spaceship

It was a gas giant

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Ratjaculation posted:

Are the online resource databases accurate for PS4? Otherwise it's a long way to go for drugs

It's a shared universe between platforms, so it's as accurate as PC or Xbox. The issue is that much of up has to be updated manually or semi-manually or kinda-automatic. It's as accurate as the last time the data was updated by someone.

Bad Llama
Jan 2, 2007
pwnerer
Elite Dangerous

Bad Llama fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jul 4, 2017

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
So I got a few missions done and I landed at a station that sold me a hauler. It's been great for doing some of the trading missions that I couldn't do before and let me build up a bit of money. However it seems truly awful for any kind of combat, and I would love to try some of the missions that involve a bit of combat and salvaging stuff. What would be a decent ship and loadout I could get for around 500k?

I was looking at the Adder as an OK ship that could do a bit of everything, but is it worth saving up for a cobra or something? Or is that a bit overkill to start with?

Also, is there an easy way to find the entrance docking ports for stations? I seem to have a really hard time finding where about you are supposed to fly in, especially with those cube type stations that spin around. Takes me ages to find that glowing blue hole.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Dravs posted:

So I got a few missions done and I landed at a station that sold me a hauler. It's been great for doing some of the trading missions that I couldn't do before and let me build up a bit of money. However it seems truly awful for any kind of combat, and I would love to try some of the missions that involve a bit of combat and salvaging stuff. What would be a decent ship and loadout I could get for around 500k?

I was looking at the Adder as an OK ship that could do a bit of everything, but is it worth saving up for a cobra or something? Or is that a bit overkill to start with?

Also, is there an easy way to find the entrance docking ports for stations? I seem to have a really hard time finding where about you are supposed to fly in, especially with those cube type stations that spin around. Takes me ages to find that glowing blue hole.

If you look at the hologram when targeting the station, it will show you the orientation you currently have! In addition, the station will always be rotating counterclockwise when facing the mail slot from the outside. When approaching a station, the mail slot usually faces the stellar object that the station orbits!

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
Just picked this up on PS4 and am loving it so far. Starting to feel, having spent the first few hours fighting the controls, that I have a pretty good handle on flying around/docking. Decided to start off with a pure space trucking approach having upgraded from the sidewinder to a hauler and from there to a Type.

One thing I've started wondering, having figured out the basics of trading at what point a pure bulk trading approach becomes the most profitable option. At the moment, I'm struggling to get more than about 1.2k profit/ton which even with the fully loaded Type 6 is less profitable than just running courier missions. Am I missing something or is it always better to pick up a few courier missions to a single system then pack out what space is left with commodities?

Kind of tempted once I have enough cash to upgrade the Type 6's FSD to outfit it for passenger transport instead since it seems like a faster route to big bucks and then switch to the Dolphin/Orca/Beluga instead but I would prefer to be flying space big rigs to space cruise liners...

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

If you look at the hologram when targeting the station, it will show you the orientation you currently have! In addition, the station will always be rotating counterclockwise when facing the mail slot from the outside. When approaching a station, the mail slot usually faces the stellar object that the station orbits!

They recently changed it so the station hologram rotates to match your orientation on supercruise too.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

I just reinstalled, I haven't played since a bit before the first expansion came out and now I'm not sure whats going on.

I have the DLC Horizons Season Pass, do I need anything else for access to non-cosmetic features?

Whats a fun thing to do that would be new to me? I've got enough money to have had a well fitted Anaconda before I stopped playing to give an idea of funds available and I'm not interested in anything too grindy.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Philosopher King posted:

So are the orca, beluga and dolphin class passenger transports still worthless?

And did they ever end up doing anything with luxury cabins?

Is fitting out a different ship and using it as a passenger ship still a more viable option?

I really like the orca. I often do multiple transport missions each with 3-4 stops simultaneously. Good jump range and can fit a big scoop.

The dolphin is good for short trips. Like 1 or 2 jumps. I only have room for a small scoop that is painfully slow, so if a mission is going to be 100+ ly, I take the orca. But if the destination is next door, the dolphin is perfect.

You could fit a conda for passengers, but I'd personally rather fly the orca. Luxury missions, when you find them, are worth having the cabin, which you won't have in a conda.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Dravs posted:

The cube stations have flashing red beacons on the back side and blue beacons on the entry side. They are small and difficult to notice when you don't know what you're looking for, but next time you approach the station look to the corners and you'll notice small blue or red lights.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Holistic Detective posted:

Just picked this up on PS4 and am loving it so far. Starting to feel, having spent the first few hours fighting the controls, that I have a pretty good handle on flying around/docking. Decided to start off with a pure space trucking approach having upgraded from the sidewinder to a hauler and from there to a Type.

One thing I've started wondering, having figured out the basics of trading at what point a pure bulk trading approach becomes the most profitable option. At the moment, I'm struggling to get more than about 1.2k profit/ton which even with the fully loaded Type 6 is less profitable than just running courier missions. Am I missing something or is it always better to pick up a few courier missions to a single system then pack out what space is left with commodities?

Kind of tempted once I have enough cash to upgrade the Type 6's FSD to outfit it for passenger transport instead since it seems like a faster route to big bucks and then switch to the Dolphin/Orca/Beluga instead but I would prefer to be flying space big rigs to space cruise liners...

1.2k per ton is about right for bulk trading. Bulk trading sucks for money, don't do it unless you literally have no other option. It's ok for building rep and influence with factions but not money. If you want to do trading, either run slaves or take haulage missions or smuggling missions. Slaves may need to be sold at a black market.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I've come back after a loooong break (engineers huh? multicrew? landing on planets? I have a face now?) and have a goal of getting into a Fer De Lance. Are rares routes still a good way to make some quick spacebucks? I went to Lave to start and it's in lockdown? I do not know what this means.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
What is the difference between the weapon types? What is the difference between fixed, gimballed and the other one (tracking I think? Guessing that just shoots automatically?)

And what's the difference between pulse lasers, beam, burst etc?! There is a lot of confusing stuff here.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

alphabettitouretti posted:

I've come back after a loooong break (engineers huh? multicrew? landing on planets? I have a face now?) and have a goal of getting into a Fer De Lance. Are rares routes still a good way to make some quick spacebucks? I went to Lave to start and it's in lockdown? I do not know what this means.

Lockdown is part of the background sim. It means security has hit rock bottom in the system, and non-essential services are not available until the security situation improves. You can help speed this up by bounty hunting.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Dravs posted:

What is the difference between the weapon types? What is the difference between fixed, gimballed and the other one (tracking I think? Guessing that just shoots automatically?)

And what's the difference between pulse lasers, beam, burst etc?! There is a lot of confusing stuff here.

Fixed don't move at all, gimbals have a few degrees of swivel and automatically try to target the lead-ahead target. Turrets are pretty much omnidirectional and their behavior is controlled by the right-side options panel.

Pulse lasers are like a machine gun, it keeps shooting as long as you hold the trigger down (and it has energy). Burst shoots a few bolts per trigger pull. Beams fire a continuous laser. Make sure to look at the capacitor drain stat in the fitting screen to get an idea about how much each uses.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Dravs posted:

Fixed shoot straight ahead and do the most damage. Gimballed track targets, but do reduced damage, and are messed up by chaff. Turrets operate independently and can fire in any direction (you can set how they behave in the ship computer).

Choose the type most appropriate to the ship. If you're flying something fast and nimble, fixed can be very effective as you can keep the weapons pointed at the target. Gimballed work well on larger, heavier fighters when you might find that it's harder to track targets. They're also useful close-up as you'll be able to keep hitting the target when they're above or below. If you're just starting out I wouldn't worry about turrets for now.

Pulse lasers fire once per trigger press. Beam is a constant stream of energy. Burst fires three pulses per trigger press. In terms of heat generation and power demands it goes Beams > Burst > Pulse. I prefer pulse lasers (for my current Vulture, anyway) as I find them the most balanced in a wide variety of situations, but experiment and see what works for you. Lots of people couple a powerful beam laser to strip shields with kinetic or explosive weapons for taking out the hull.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Dravs posted:

You can get a decent Viper 3 and cruise along the police ships in RES zones. You'll get the full bounty on anything they destroy as long as you get some damage in shortly before the ship blows up.
The Cobra is an extremely good mission runner and you should definitely get one as soon as possible. It's worse at combat than the Viper but luckily you can own both :v:

Fixed weapons shoots straight at where your ship points at. Gimballed tracks your target in an arc in front of the ship while turrets are autonomous and generally covers 180' on the side that they're mounted on.
Fixed does more damage than gimbals which does more damage than turrets. Of course you'll have less "uptime" on fixed weapons so you'll probably do less damage overall with them unless if you happen to be a Fighting Ace.

Don't worry too much about burst and beam lasers early on. You can't really fit them on the smaller ships due to their silly prices and power reqs. Pulses and multicannons are generally good.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

When putting your PS4 in rest mode, the game glitches out when going out of rest while the game was still on. The time skips forward making stations and planets crash into you.

Lost my ship yesterday while inside a station because of this. The station suddenly moved away for miles while the ship stayed in one spot. Cost me a lot of insurance money.

This doesn't happen when shutting down the game completely before putting your PS in rest mode. So heads up.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

John F Bennett posted:

When putting your PS4 in rest mode, the game glitches out when going out of rest while the game was still on. The time skips forward making stations and planets crash into you.

Lost my ship yesterday while inside a station because of this. The station suddenly moved away for miles while the ship stayed in one spot. Cost me a lot of insurance money.

This doesn't happen when shutting down the game completely before putting your PS in rest mode. So heads up.

Petition: they will almost certainly give you your ship back, and since it actually kills people (instead of just breaking their narrative) they will probably fix it. :science:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

For real? I didn't know that was a thing?

But I've made the money back since then, it was only a Diamondback Explorer with 200,000 rebuy.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Dravs posted:

Save up get the DBS it's a cracking little hunter like a viper plus, it's also cheap to die in and looks a bit like Airwolf. It's a bit over your budget at 564,000 space bucks just for the ship but worth it. Really nice hard-point placement.

When you approach a station the little hologram (once station is targeted) has arrows on it that point at the door, also all space port doors face the planet that they orbit (even if it's a huge distance away). So dive into the gap between the planet and the station turn and come out to the station with the planet behind you and the door is always dead ahead.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Morningwoodpecker posted:

Save up get the DBS it's a cracking little hunter like a viper plus, it's also cheap to die in and looks a bit like Airwolf. It's a bit over your budget at 564,000 space bucks just for the ship but worth it. Really nice hard-point placement.

When you approach a station the little hologram (once station is targeted) has arrows on it that point at the door, also all space port doors face the planet that they orbit (even if it's a huge distance away). So dive into the gap between the planet and the station turn and come out to the station with the planet behind you and the door is always dead ahead.

Anyone flying in a DBS is legally required to fit missiles and MCs while blasting the airwolf theme :awesomelon:

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Lima posted:

Anyone flying in a DBS is legally required to fit missiles and MCs while blasting the airwolf theme :awesomelon:

You know you've got the space madness badly when you can hear Ernest Borgnine over comm.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
Selling space beiber to slavery is very tempting since its just right there to drop him off but he's worth 12 million if i do the full pain in the rear end mission.

If only slavers also gave the mission payout on top of their offer it would add a whole new dimension of balancing your rep to attract clients with the thrill of tricking them into indentured servitude.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Trying to plan a pirating Federal Gunship but drat it's just not planning out the way I want. You can either fit a fighter hangar, collector limpets and no shield or no hangar but with limpets & shield. I know they''re supposed to be strong hull tanks but flying completely shield less feels too exposed. It's possible to drop the limpets but who wants to be spending ages flying around trying to scoop up cargo when you're breaking the law.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

As long as it's in good condition (and from the pictures it does look good as new) that's a hell of a steal for a controller that is, in every single imaginable way, far better for playing the game than a PS4 controller.

This isn't true at all. The gamepad controls are fantastic and imo only marginally worse than using a full HOTAS setup with rudder pedals. The best part of playing on PS4 is chilling on your couch while doing all the mind numbingly boring poo poo in this game. Using a HOTAS with the same amount of buttons and a lovely twist rudder just isn't worth losing that comfort.

Besides, everyone knows mouse and keyboard is the best way to play.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

A HOTAS looks very uncomfortable. I can't imagine using one, to be honest.

I play my games lying down like one should, on my couch. The PS4 controller is perfectly fine and very easy to use with this game. You don't need a flightstick and anyone who tells you otherwise is a fool.

Also, it's just to drat geeky and a bit try-hard. Looks dumb imo.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

John F Bennett posted:

A HOTAS looks very uncomfortable. I can't imagine using one, to be honest.

I play my games lying down like one should, on my couch. The PS4 controller is perfectly fine and very easy to use with this game. You don't need a flightstick and anyone who tells you otherwise is a fool.

Also, it's just to drat geeky and a bit try-hard. Looks dumb imo.

Is this some sort of performance art? A Swiftian parody of console bros and their invasion of a sacred game or something?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

There is something very Freudian about gripping your flightstick.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Colonial Air Force posted:

Is this some sort of performance art? A Swiftian parody of console bros and their invasion of a sacred game or something?

Ive been playing fine with a controller for years. Im sure a flight stick is more immersive, but a controller is more than suitable :confused:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

you're playing Elite:Dangerous and referring to someone else as a geeky tryhard? hunh

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Does this mean I will blow peoples mind when I confess that I'm using controller, joystick and keyboard + mouse? Sometimes even multiple things mixed?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I used to use an xbox controller on my PC and it was fine. I use joysticks now because it's more fun for me, but not like it was bad using the controller. I never used the mouse but I hear it's the pro way to PvP.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Then I guess we all like to grip our sticks in this thread. Flightstick and controller. Throttling and thrusting, am I right.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I have a HOTAS that i got for warthunder and i still fly controller, devs did a good job on that. Also I've now got mostly B and A rank stuff on my viper 3 but haven't found a station that sells anything better. Viper 4 or this DBS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

OxMan posted:

I have a HOTAS that i got for warthunder and i still fly controller, devs did a good job on that. Also I've now got mostly B and A rank stuff on my viper 3 but haven't found a station that sells anything better. Viper 4 or this DBS?

Viper4 is hot fat garbage.

• Locked thread