Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
white was good and had a lot of good scenes, the problem is just that in a show full of really fun characters, black was absolutely the least interesting and episode 12 was absolutely the weakest for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Modern food has access to a broader variety of spices which are also cheaper than they've ever been in history. The spice trade has been a big thing for a reason: spices were considered valuable luxuries. Even just smothering something in salt and pepper will create a strong flavor that might be somewhat exotic to medieval knights (since pepper is an Indian spice). Just from the first episode, I don't think this has anything to do with Japanese food in particular, it's just another in a long line of "modern conveniences in a classical/fantasy setting" comedies.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jul 4, 2017

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Clarste posted:

Modern food has access to a broader variety of spices which are also cheaper than they've ever been in history. The spice trade has been a big thing for a reason: spices were considered valuable luxuries. Even just smothering something in salt and pepper will create a strong flavor that might be somewhat exotic to medieval knights (since pepper is an Indian spice). Just from the first episode, I don't think this has anything to do with Japanese food in particular, it's just another in a long line of "modern conveniences in a classical/fantasy setting" comedies.

i always think of this, and am absolutely boggled trying to imagine how that is as a sole means of sustenance. my granddad sorta cooks like that so i have some perspective, even though the food looks flavorful and has all kinds of stuff in it, it always tastes like nothing in particular

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is the Umineko Anime any good? I've been meaning to read through ProfessorProf's LP of the game.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Hina Logi is Very Good and I'm glad there's something in the same league as Urara airing this season.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I thought it was pretty boring but maybe I'm just sick of generic yuribait shows. I'll probably give it another couple of episodes to see if the magical girl stuff ever makes it more interesting.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I mean, it's extremely laid back CGDCT with good goofy faces and silly noises, so that's completely fair if that's not your thing, I just like that type of show a lot.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
the plot's nothing special and it's not like anyone is playing the TCG so it's just a matter of whether or not you have a soft spot for silly chars with squishy faces, or think the main pair are cute, or want to see the redhead blow stuff up a lot

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Grouchio posted:

Is the Umineko Anime any good? I've been meaning to read through ProfessorProf's LP of the game.

The Anime adaptation is extremely bad. The VNs are apparently very good if you like those kinds of mysteries though, so stick to those.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What Julias said. The Umineko VN's are actually good. The anime is horrible, don't bother. 1 star.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Grouchio posted:

There's exactly one scene worth watching in the anime, when you finish Chapter 2 be sure to look it up.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I watched the Umineko anime and had no idea what was going on. It was a complete waste of time. Just read the LP.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

I watched two mediocre first episodes.

Restaurant to Another World was kind of bland and boring. The first episode managed to establish that, yes, there is a restaurant, and yes, it is connected to another world, but it still isn't clear to me where they're going with this. Is it going to be a Konosuba-style genre-subverting comedy, or maybe a Working-style workplace comedy? Probably not, or else they would have put more actual jokes in the first episode. Is it going to be a serious fantasy story about the faith of one or more worlds? Maybe, but then again, there were some comedic elements, like the dragon butler. Maybe they're aiming for more of a feelgood food-based show in the vein of Gourmet Girl Graffiti? That seems the most likely at this point, but I didn't really care for GGG either, so eh. It's a cautious maybe at this point, I might drop it if it doesn't start making some sort of point soon.

Elegant Yokai Apartment Life, on the other hand, is clearly straightforward comedy. Most of the first episode was spent on establishing that yes, there is an apartment building, and yes, it is inhabited by Yokai, but now that that's out of the way it looks like we're in for a dozen or so episodes of surreal slice of life comedy. The only problem is that it's... not that good at telling jokes? Timing and voice direction felt off in more than one scene, which spoiled some otherwise decent jokes and visual gags. Still, some of the characters in the OP look fun (the birds were good, if nothing else), so it's another cautious maybe.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yokai Apt has more going on than just comedy but it's going to take probably an episode or two more to get there.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Sindai posted:

I watched the Umineko anime and had no idea what was going on. It was a complete waste of time. Just read the LP.

Worth noting that you can buy the first half on steam, and there's a patch to give it voices and not terrible art.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Huh. Got a link to the patch? I don't mind the lack of voices so much, but the art just looks 'off' to me after getting used to the version used by the LP.

(I think the anime did right by the first two Umineko arcs, but it suffered as the story got increasingly hard to adapt. Disclaimer: my opinion may be influenced by watching it while stuffed full of painkillers after getting my wisdom teeth extracted. Still love the OP, tho'. )

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Hina Logic seems like a reasonably fun and very pretty CGDCT show, and setting a slice of life in the aftermath of a more typical action show is kind of an interesting pitch. I'll keep with it for now.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I know a ton of people here read the manga already but
https://twitter.com/LossThief/status/882276700909965313

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Aho Girl is bad

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Huh. Got a link to the patch? I don't mind the lack of voices so much, but the art just looks 'off' to me after getting used to the version used by the LP.

(I think the anime did right by the first two Umineko arcs, but it suffered as the story got increasingly hard to adapt. Disclaimer: my opinion may be influenced by watching it while stuffed full of painkillers after getting my wisdom teeth extracted. Still love the OP, tho'. )

https://github.com/07th-mod/umineko-question

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Goodbody posted:

Aho Girl is bad
Man, really? I was hoping to get my "Shorter Episode Length" anime fix with it and Tsurezure Children.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wark Say posted:

Man, really? I was hoping to get my "Shorter Episode Length" anime fix with it and Tsurezure Children.

The main guys is just really unnecessarily cruel to the girl, and the girl's isn't destructive enough to warrant it, or funny or creative enough to carry the show.

Maybe it's like Maidragon or Umaru where the first episode is kinda weak but once the characters are all introduced and can bounce off each other it gets good, but I don't think I'm gonna find out

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Guy Goodbody posted:

The main guys is just really unnecessarily cruel to the girl, and the girl's isn't destructive enough to warrant it, or funny or creative enough to carry the show.

Maybe it's like Maidragon or Umaru where the first episode is kinda weak but once the characters are all introduced and can bounce off each other it gets good, but I don't think I'm gonna find out

It's not meant to be anything serious, it's an extension of the Manzai style comedy.

I thought it was kinda funny. There are some gifs from it I could make that would make it look really really bad out of context though lol

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
manzai is a performance but the titular aho girl is mildly retarded.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I don't think Aho Girl is quite into the realm of good, but I enjoy Tomokazu Sugita and Y.Aoi acting silly, so I'll probably keep watching it. Glad it's only half length.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

OnimaruXLR posted:

I don't think Aho Girl is quite into the realm of good, but I enjoy Tomokazu Sugita and Y.Aoi acting silly, so I'll probably keep watching it. Glad it's only half length.
Those two loving rule. :dance:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

manzai is a performance but the titular aho girl is mildly retarded.

good

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

look how retarded she is lmao

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

rofl

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ahogirl is an examination of the failings of Mainstreaming

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Rolling on the floor languishing (in pain)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i was hoping the quiz show would be the next gup or chihayafuru, its not. its ugly and has really low production values and the mc is a twerp. it also repeats the same unfunny gag a whole bunch in the first ep. the va for the female mc is nice though, sounds like an actual girl rather than an anime one

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

OnimaruXLR posted:

I was going to pass on it despite having read some of the manga since I think it is extremely hit or miss from chapter to chapter, but those two being the leads changed my mind immediately.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
Kakegururi is looking to be the show with amazing faces for the season. The first episode was a pretty good ride so i'll pick this up for sure.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, watched the first episode of Aho Girl. The content is pretty "eh", but it's pretty telling that despite the less than stellar content, the voice actors (Yuuki, Sugita, Yoko Hikasa as the mom and Sumire Uesaka as what I'm guessing is the StuCo Prez) do some fairly strong voice work that made the show fairly easy to swallow.

Also, I know this is the Summer Anime thread, but I have a question: Is there a good Comedy "Dorama" (doesn't matter if it's Japanese or Korean, but if it's korean, subs would be appreciated) you guys would recommend. Due to the fact that work was slow/non-existent today, I basically mainlined almost all of Aoi Honoo / Blue Blazes, so I got that itch.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Rangpur posted:

The Umineko anime also suffered by adapting the first half of a mystery series while the second half was still being made, so a lot of details that were vital to the mystery were either changed or discarded, some of them so bad that adapting Chiru in its current state would be literally impossible.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

tbf all quiz show centric anime pale in comparison to National Quiz

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The Aho Girl OP reminds me a bit of the Omelette Song from Dragon Half.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm4fVBl781s

looks.... american

• Locked thread