Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

The Great Burrito posted:

All I know is after an absence from the game I came back to find Orcs called "Orruks" and was like lmao someone pressed the legal issue too hard

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Orruks

oh my god you're serious

this is amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allah_Is_Gay
Nov 25, 2013
Can we have some gently caress Yeah America It's Turkey Day pics plz

Allah_Is_Gay has a new favorite as of 09:28 on Jul 4, 2017

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Goddamnit. GW, you continue to be the worst.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Still says Orc Boys on the box. :orks:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Flakey posted:

Still says Orc Boys on the box. :orks:

That's 40k though, right? My understanding was older properties are staying the same for now, but their "new" Age of Sigmar property, which is in itself a thinly veiled attempt to keep their IP protected, has all the races renamed to non-generic names so they can be copyrighted. All because Blizzard ate GW's lunch. So Elves are now "Aelf", and trolls are "Troggoth", etc etc.

So loving sad. GW continues to be willfully ignorant of the fact that they're losing players not because other companies copied their IP, but because people don't want to pay their insane prices on miniatures.

GW - "Excuse me sir! How much would you pay for one of our minis? The most basic rear end Level 1 unit an army could have?"
Player - "I don't know... a dollar? Two?"
GW - "Hmm, how about TEN DOLLARS!"
Player - "No way, not a chance."
GW - "Give me ten dollars. Then another five-hundred since you need an army to play the game."

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Nah right on that page too :v:

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Wait till you see what they renamed dwarves.

Look it up, go on, I'll wait.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Huh, I never realized they used the goofy "boyz" stuff with the medieval Warhammer stuff.

Still, that's an older Warhammer set being sold as compatible with the new Age of Sigmar setting. "Warhammer" in itself is gone, only Warhammer 40k still exists.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

That's 40k though, right? My understanding was older properties are staying the same for now, but their "new" Age of Sigmar property, which is in itself a thinly veiled attempt to keep their IP protected, has all the races renamed to non-generic names so they can be copyrighted. All because Blizzard ate GW's lunch. So Elves are now "Aelf", and trolls are "Troggoth", etc etc.

They changed a couple names in 40k, the Imperial Guard became the Astra Militarum and Space Marines became Adeptus Astartes. But then as soon as the CEO who masterminded the whole Age of Sigmar debacle stepped down Space Marines got renamed Space Marines again

They did just add an apostrophe to Tau, who are now called T'au, so who knows

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
The most hilarious thing is that their attempts to be 100% unique so that nobody can confuse their space marines with some other space marines just makes them less memorable. Anyone who was vaguely interested in tabletop wargaming knows space marines as space marines, and would know exactly what someone meant when they said space marines in the context of wargaming. But I bet you if you asked people in wargaming circles who weren't up to date on 40K what an Adeptus Astartes was the answer you'd get would be a confused "huh?"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

They changed a couple names in 40k, the Imperial Guard became the Astra Militarum and Space Marines became Adeptus Astartes.

They've been the Adeptus Astartes for ages. It's just nobody has ever actually called them that.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Lone Badger posted:

They've been the Adeptus Astartes for ages. It's just nobody has ever actually called them that.

They were never marketed as that. But one day on the Games Workshop website there wasn't a section for "Space Marines" anymore.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
xpost from byob

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
They're not even Marines. They're like the Airforce!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

So loving sad. GW continues to be willfully ignorant of the fact that they're losing players not because other companies copied their IP, but because people don't want to pay their insane prices on miniatures.

GW - "Excuse me sir! How much would you pay for one of our minis? The most basic rear end Level 1 unit an army could have?"
Player - "I don't know... a dollar? Two?"
GW - "Hmm, how about TEN DOLLARS!"
Player - "No way, not a chance."
GW - "Give me ten dollars. Then another five-hundred since you need an army to play the game."

And that's not an exaggeration in the least. One time I was looking to get into 40k (I was a stupid teenager okay?) and had a look at their catalogue. I tallied up all the stuff I would need to have a not-poo poo army for smaller-scale 1000 points game, and even that weighed in at well beyond 200€ without accounting for paints and accessories. And most games are generally played in the 1500-2000 points range, so to have an actually good army (as in, with vehicles and poo poo) at that level you're looking at 500€+ easily.

And it's not even a particularly good game mechanically.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ak Gara posted:

They're not even Marines. They're like the Airforce!

That varies from Chapter to Chapter. Some pilot their own airplanes and have their own space ships and stuff, others use human or servitor pilots and are more reliant on the Imperial Navy

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Perestroika posted:

You should look up the special rules for Age of Sigmar.

They're loving insanely stupid.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Perestroika posted:

And that's not an exaggeration in the least. One time I was looking to get into 40k (I was a stupid teenager okay?) and had a look at their catalogue. I tallied up all the stuff I would need to have a not-poo poo army for smaller-scale 1000 points game, and even that weighed in at well beyond 200€ without accounting for paints and accessories. And most games are generally played in the 1500-2000 points range, so to have an actually good army (as in, with vehicles and poo poo) at that level you're looking at 500€+ easily.

I came to a crossroads in my life while I was in high school. I could either buy a Warhammer 40k army or a used Mazda Protege.

I can't believe how stupid Age of Sigmar sounds. It's like they took their classic IP that was fun and familiar precisely because it used all the elements from generic fantasy bullshit and then just took a huge steaming poo poo all over it. The lore I read sounds incredibly up its own rear end. GW is hell bent on destroying everything that made it good, isn't it?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Allah_Is_Gay posted:

Can we have some gently caress Yeah America It's Turkey Day pics plz

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

:barf:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

It's just like a Kenyan to be riding a lion :rolleyes:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

TontoCorazon posted:

:drat:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

TontoCorazon posted:

Which reminds me, how is your mother?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Dude might be color blind and over reddened his eyeballs to look super stoned. Or maybe not. It just made me think of a thing from AI that happened that I can't find the corresponding picture for.

A guy had an Accord station wagon and posted his rad new paint job. It was a hideous two-tone orange and blue monstrosity. Think Denver broncos colors. After a thorough ball busting it turned out the guy was color blind and to him it looked awesome.

I want someone to find the picture!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

That's 40k though, right? My understanding was older properties are staying the same for now,

Haha, nope!

Imperial Guard are now Astra Militarum, Eldar are now the Aeldari, and Tau are now... T'au :effort:

Orkz are still Orkz for now.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

trickybiscuits posted:

They are almost as funny as Madeline Kahn, who was a goddamn genius and I have still not recovered from her death.

I just rewatched Clue a couple of days ago and looked Madeline Kahn up afterwards to see what she was up to these days.

Yup, I forgot that she died; that was a fun thing to be reminded about :( I will watch Mixed Nuts in her memory.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Why are you posting pictures in the PYF Opinion About Stand Up Comedians thread?

edit:

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Playing The Star-Spangled Banner with a Gun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90lH3zn6oQw

for best results, play at 2x speed.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Enos Shenk posted:

Oh hello fellow Fort Wayne goon.

Oh god. I didn't even notice that was a local place. Wait, there's more Fort Wayne goons?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Memento posted:

You should look up the special rules for Age of Sigmar.

They're loving insanely stupid.

Let me guess:

"players must have purchased new figurines in the past 14 days or their army loses half their hitpoints (other players will check receipts to verify)"

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/chuuzus/status/881671256252264448

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Two questions:

Is that guys name "Owl City"?

And

Is that an anime dance?

Fried Watermelon