Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Martytoof posted:

I need to hurry up and beat Zelda for when Spla2n hits :ohdear:

edit: I bought the Orzly screen protector set off Amazon for like fourteen dollars Canadian and it comes in a pack of two just in case you gently caress it up somehow. Can't say enough good things about it. It looks like it belongs on there, as if it came factory attached. It was literally also the first thing I did with my Switch. Like I took the switch out of the packaging and before I even turned it on I took it to the bathroom, ran the shower to kill any dust and applied the protector. Wanted that thing MINT.

yeah, the glass screen protector is perfect for the switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Basically if the Sony conference had gone first most of the ire would have went to Sony giving Microsoft the time to pull out of the dumb idea. Sony got lucky Microsoft decide to be the first one to jump in front of the firing squad. I still think if MS had kept its dumb mouth shut until it saw if Sony was following the poo poo idea people wouldn't have flocked to the PS4 at launch as much as they did. Both the first year of the Xbone and the PS4 had pretty bleh first party titles and all the same third party stuff. Sony got such a large instal base simply by not being the one to voice bad ideas first compared to Nintendo or MS while having the same trash ideas

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You've got the timeline wrong. Pretty sure Microsoft had a special event like a month prior where they laid their stuff out. Sony had about a month to digest gamer reaction, which is relatively last minute as console roll outs go, but not literally same day last minute.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Snake Pass is the weirdest...platformer?... I've played in years and I love it. The controls take a lot of getting used to though.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Al Borland Corp. posted:

You've got the timeline wrong. Pretty sure Microsoft had a special event like a month prior where they laid their stuff out. Sony had about a month to digest gamer reaction, which is relatively last minute as console roll outs go, but not literally same day last minute.

No, Microsoft announced their digital games plan at the same E3 Sony made a big deal they weren't gonna do it.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The PS4 had an announcement conference in Feb 2013, the Xbone had one in May 2013. So going by those, Sony actually went first. The controversy about Microsoft's digital plans got rolling well before E3.

At E3 itself they had their events on literally the same day. Microsoft did go first on that day, but it would be beyond silly to think anything about Sony's plans changed in the hours between their events.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Re-release Tokyo Mirage Sessions for the Switch, call it the "Director's Cut" and remove all of the dumb 4kids esque censorship.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Snapback>Bikini

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Supercar Gautier posted:

The PS4 had an announcement conference in Feb 2013, the Xbone had one in May 2013. So going by those, Sony actually went first. The controversy about Microsoft's digital plans got rolling well before E3.

At E3 itself they had their events on literally the same day. Microsoft did go first on that day, but it would be beyond silly to think anything about Sony's plans changed in the hours between their events.

They didn't announce the DRM thing at the consoles' unveiling.

Again, my earlier post has a link that says Yoshida admitted they changed their policy last minute.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

Again, my earlier post has a link that says Yoshida admitted they changed their policy last minute.

Well they waited untill MS announced it. There's no indication Sony were planning on announcing a similar policy at e3 that day.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

Microsoft did announce the DRM stuff before E3, though. The controversy had plenty of buildup before the day of the show.

And if Sony did make an about-face, it was in the works for longer than just a couple of hours in advance.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 4, 2017

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Supercar Gautier posted:

Microsoft did announce the DRM stuff before E3, though. The controversy had plenty of buildup before the day of the show.

And if Sony did make an about-face, it was in the works for longer than just a couple of hours in advance.

I'm trying to find a source on that. From what I remember it was at E3...

EDIT - that's... weird. Hrm. Man, my memory is faulty...

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
when will slenderman and other creepypasta games come to the switch?

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Supercar Gautier posted:

No they didn't. Everyone didn't REALLY find out about the DRM poo poo for sure until Patrick Klepek broke it for Giant Bomb and that was after the reveals both had earlier in the year and right before E3. Microsoft didnt' really comment on it with a company focused set of statements until E3 in which they tried to lay out their plan and Sony caught them with a whole "Aha! Pants down!" moment. But it was pretty clear a lot of Sony's stuff at E3 was an about face due to how rough it all looked. A buncha throw together slides and a skit Adam Boyes and Shuhei Yoshida admitted they filmed between MS and Sony's pressers. The long standing rumor was that both companies we're eyeballing locking down their systems but were playing a game of chicken on who was gonna swallow the bad will pill first.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Commissar Ken posted:

No they didn't. Everyone didn't REALLY find out about the DRM poo poo for sure until Patrick Klepek broke it for Giant Bomb and that was after the reveals both had earlier in the year and right before E3. Microsoft didnt' really comment on it until E3 in which they tried to lay out their plan and Sony caught them with a whole "Aha! Pants down!" moment. But it was pretty clear a lot of Sony's stuff at E3 was an about face due to how rough it all looked. A buncha throw together slides and a skit Adam Boyes and Shuhei Yoshida admitted they filmed between MS and Sony's pressers. The long standing rumor was that both companies we're eyeballing locking down their systems but were playing a game of chicken on who was gonna swallow the bad will pill first.

Here's what I'm saying:

"Sony adjusted their plans in reaction to weeks of negative press and public outcry over Microsoft's policies" makes sense.

"Sony adjusted their plans in a couple hours solely in reaction to a conference earlier that day" does not make sense.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Pierson posted:

https://twitter.com/platinumgames_j/status/881710210166824960

If we get Bayonetta1+2 on Switch I will mark the gently caress out.

probably about the bayonetta amiibo coming out

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm betting Microsoft wouldn't have changed a thing about their DRM policy if Sony had gone first that E3.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Night Blade posted:

Re-release Tokyo Mirage Sessions for the Switch, call it the "Director's Cut" and remove all of the dumb 4kids esque censorship.

I agree. I'm one of those people who are creeped out by the cut stuff in Sessions and Xenoblade Chronicles X. I won't buy the games even if they're censored in the Western version. Because I still know what the devs originally intended, and that attitude always shines through in the game even if they cut or edit some outfits or change parts of the script. So the censoring only make them seem dishonest and two-faced. Just don't put in the creepy stuff to begin with if you want me to buy it. Or do put it in if that's what you want, and be honest about it.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

source your quotes

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
That Xenoblade game is a good sign for Switch owners who love anime boobs and butts

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Afaik, there is nothing concrete that proves that PS4 was going to be always-online. Just a bunch of speculation from people with no actual knowledge.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The changes to TMS were extensive enough that I'd just call it rewriting something they thought didn't work the first time around.

Also P5 has way worse stuff than anything in TMS

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Motto posted:

The changes to TMS were extensive enough that I'd just call it rewriting something they thought didn't work the first time around.

Also P5 has way worse stuff than anything in TMS

Don't worry, I didn't buy that either :v:

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

Supercar Gautier posted:

Here's what I'm saying:

"Sony adjusted their plans in reaction to weeks of negative press and public outcry over Microsoft's policies" makes sense.

"Sony adjusted their plans in a couple hours solely in reaction to a conference earlier that day" does not make sense.

two seconds on google to find the actual quote makes it pretty clear that their plans were already in place and the outrage (which was happening prior to the show) only caused them to really emphasize it in their marketing

quote:

"There were lots of people who gave their opinions on that issue to my Twitter account before E3," SCE Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida told Famitsu magazine this week. "It's not that our hardware policies are decided strictly based on user reaction like this, but when we were thinking about what we had to bring across and how to bring it across, it was a very useful source."

but theres no reason for anyone to let reality get in the way of their pet theories

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Renoistic posted:

I agree. I'm one of those people who are creeped out by the cut stuff in Sessions and Xenoblade Chronicles X. I won't buy the games even if they're censored in the Western version. Because I still know what the devs originally intended, and that attitude always shines through in the game even if they cut or edit some outfits or change parts of the script. So the censoring only make them seem dishonest and two-faced. Just don't put in the creepy stuff to begin with if you want me to buy it. Or do put it in if that's what you want, and be honest about it.

I'm okay with them cutting out the sexy 14 year old bikini outfits, personally

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Zelder posted:

It was a good decision.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

if you look at a heavily stylized drawing of a fictional person in a bikini and your first thought is "this person is 14 years old, I can tell their age from the pixels" i don't think that the devs are the ones at fault

if the characters make you that uncomfortable you could also try just not jerking off to a given video game, not all media is for wanking

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I didn't know anything about the game in question so I googled for the deets and lol

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

ok that censorship actually kind of owns

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Zelder posted:

Don't try to deflect that back on me. Like I said, I'd prefer them to not put them there in the first place. They're trying to eat the cake and having it too. They're basically putting the gross stuff to keep their base happy. Then they censor it before marketing it overseas, while encouraging anyone not happy with the changes to import it instead. Some even raise a stink about not being able to stay true to their 'vision' because of western sensibilities to get attention. It's cynical and off-putting.

Are you saying you'd happily buy those games as long as they censor the worst parts in the west, buy keep them back home? Why would you want to give money to companies that put in pedo stuff in their games to pander to a small subset of gamers? You're enabling their lovely practices.

I stopped buying those pandering games a long time ago and I've yet to regret it. If you don't want the gross stuff then don't support the companies that make them. That's all I have to say about the matter.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
the way i deal with this is, i barely pay attention to anything at all and if i buy a game that has something that weirds me out, then i stop playing it. and if i dislike it enough i'll complain about it to the internet.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

if you look at a heavily stylized drawing of a fictional person in a bikini and your first thought is "this person is 14 years old, I can tell their age from the pixels" i don't think that the devs are the ones at fault

In the case of Xenoblade X the character pretty much objectively looked a lot younger than 14.

Like, I think it was very correct not to put a tiny string bikini on this babychild, and unsettling that it was ever possible to begin with. It was a good localization choice to not allow that.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Supercar Gautier posted:

In the case of Xenoblade X the character pretty much objectively looked a lot younger than 14.
Turns out she's 13.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Zelder posted:

I first thought it might be something that would handle that particular issue in the idol industry, but nope, it's clear the game unabashedly says "it's totally OK to make photobooks about 14 olds in sexy bikini!!1", even though the Japanese themselves think it's seedy work.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

if the characters make you that uncomfortable you could also try just not jerking off to a given video game, not all media is for wanking
:yum:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Golden Goat posted:

Turns out she's 13.

She's also the only character in the entire game that isn't an adult in their late 20's/early 30's because contrived prodigy engineer.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Supercar Gautier posted:

Like, I think it was very correct not to put a tiny string bikini on this babychild, and unsettling that it was ever possible to begin with. It was a good localization choice to not allow that.

To be fair that "stylized" character looks like a creepy uncanny valley mannequin so I'm not sure objectively is the word you wanna use there.

Also unless a game's core story and mechanics are severely affected by it (and last I checked Xenoblade isn't about touching party member booty) not playing it because of localization changes even if it's censorship is kind of... retarded. Honestly the only example of censorship I can even think of that justifies not playing a game you would otherwise play, is if you're getting an R18+ to jerk off to anime tiddy on Steam (where naturally that's a no-no).

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Master Sword Trial still kicking my rear end. I'm not even out of the beginning section yet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SweetBro posted:

To be fair that "stylized" character looks like a creepy uncanny valley mannequin so I'm not sure objectively is the word you wanna use there.

Also unless a game's core story and mechanics are severely affected by it (and last I checked Xenoblade isn't about touching party member booty) not playing it because of localization changes even if it's censorship is kind of... retarded. Honestly the only example of censorship I can even think of that justifies not playing a game you would otherwise play, is if you're getting an R18+ to jerk off to anime tiddy on Steam (where naturally that's a no-no).

If you're only going by that screenshot, then you're probably not aware she's also barely shoulder-height to most other characters. If that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Master Sword Trial still kicking my rear end. I'm not even out of the beginning section yet.

How's the DLC? Is it worth the pricetag?

• Locked thread