Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Willo567 posted:

Seriously, how the gently caress are you and Covok not freaking out over this poo poo? Their missle has a flight capacity of 7000 km. If they achieve a missile with a range of 10,000 km, New York is hosed

Why freak out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Willo567 posted:

Seriously, how the gently caress are you and Covok not freaking out over this poo poo? Their missle has a flight capacity of 7000 km. If they achieve a missile with a range of 10,000 km, New York is hosed

Legitimate question as I don't know much about missile defence, but wouldn't something launched from NK to NY get shot down either in the ocean or above a flyover state?

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Willo567 posted:

Fun Fact: Mutually Assured Destruction is Kim Jong-Un's end goal.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

their missile launches are posturing and distracting from the fact that they could obliterate major SK cities before any response is possible

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Avirosb posted:

Fun Fact: Mutually Assured Destruction is Kim Jong-Un's end goal.

Sweet China won't have to deal with millions of refugees.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

north korea depresses me because even if kim abdicated tomorrow and said ok world time to do your thing it'd be the biggest humanitarian crisis of all time and it'd cost trillions of dollars and probably take half a century to become a functioning country.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Nosfereefer posted:

North Korea is not just gonna nuke New York for shits and giggles.
[edit] The way you Yanks talk about North Korea is pretty weird. At the same time, they manage to both be a stone age hell hole without literacy, and where the locals will fall down weeping at the first sight of well fed American soldiers. In addition, they're some overbearing existential threat to the USA.
I mean yeah, you can have a place that is both able to have both nuclear and ICBM capabilities as well as an unfed, misled, abused populace. Has anyone actually said they're an "overbearing existential threat to the USA"? From what I've seen people have been, at most, freaking out over their nuclear ICBMs (even though iirc having nuclear capacity and ICBM capacity does not guarantee nuclear ICBM capacity). That said, I also don't think NK is liable to actually nuke someone in the short term, but who can say where their sabre rattling will lead. You don't need to be able to destroy a country to have people nervous that a regime like NK is getting closer to LR nuclear warheads.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 4, 2017

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Booyah- posted:

their missile launches are posturing and distracting from the fact that they could obliterate major SK cities before any response is possible

It's 2017, yet we don't have city-spanning energy shields

SMDH this is the saddest timeline

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

There's not a drat thing you can do about whatever Kim thinks he's trying to accomplish.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Groovelord Neato posted:

north korea depresses me because even if kim abdicated tomorrow and said ok world time to do your thing it'd be the biggest humanitarian crisis of all time and it'd cost trillions of dollars and probably take half a century to become a functioning country.

Wanna source that estimate?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

this only says a decade (seems optimistic to me since you'd have to massively build up the north after reunification) and a price tag of 3 trillion (that's more than double south korea's gdp).

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...c-a7710001.html

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Elysiume posted:

I mean yeah, you can have a place that is both able to have both nuclear and ICBM capabilities as well as an unfed, misled, abused populace. Has anyone actually said they're an "overbearing existential threat to the USA"? From what I've seen people have been, at most, freaking out over their nuclear ICBMs (even though iirc having nuclear capacity and ICBM capacity does not guarantee nuclear ICBM capacity). That said, I also don't think NK is liable to actually nuke someone in the short term, but who can say where their sabre rattling will lead. You don't need to be able to destroy a country to have people nervous that a regime like NK is getting closer to LR nuclear warheads.

Hey, for all we know it might keep the Don from starting some disastrous invasion.

Wonderful Bread
Nov 11, 2013
SA has fallen far if this many people are genuinely scared of full-scale war breaking out, even with the clown in charge of the US. The last chance that history had to see us all destroyed by nuclear war was the Cuban missile crisis. The overwhelming tug of world culture trends since that debacle has created a zeitgeist of self-preservation that can be seen in even the most underdeveloped countries. The only way that nukes would be fired would be through a freak incident of total hierarchal psychosis, or a terrorist attack.

Donald Trump is a showman. He is not some corrupting force of pure evil that seeks to erode the moral foundations humanity has built for the past 10,000 years. He's a white business guy who thinks he can make the United States richer. Like any sane human being, Donald recognizes that starting a full-scale war will destroy the United States.

As for North Korea, when the entire economy of your nation is built upon its military, you're going to make a lot of noise about it. They've been doing this since they became a nation, and they're not gonna stop until they absolutely need to. North Korea is not going to start firing missiles at super-powers that could turn around and smite them at any point if pushed to do so. Propaganda is not the reality of a government thought-process, and propaganda is all the information we get from NK.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

NKs real good at half-built pyramids too give them that.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

So I guess we'll get 20 pages of broke-brained militarist fanboys shouting "we can't let the smoking gun be a mushroom cloud" and jacking themselves off at the chance to send another 50,000 virile young American boys to die in another war

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Mustached Demon posted:

NKs real good at half-built pyramids too give them that.

They were only 4 turns from building them and then Egypt had to go and steal it :argh:
Now all they can do is denounce other nations and demand tributes from city-states.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

VitalSigns posted:

So I guess we'll get 20 pages of broke-brained militarist fanboys shouting "we can't let the smoking gun be a mushroom cloud" and jacking themselves off at the chance to send another 50,000 virile young American boys to die in another war

How white are they?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Wonderful Bread posted:

Donald Trump is a showman. He is not some corrupting force of pure evil that seeks to erode the moral foundations humanity has built for the past 10,000 years. He's a white business guy who thinks he can make the United States richer. Like any sane human being, Donald recognizes that starting a full-scale war will destroy the United States.

Hahahahahahahaha

Hold on.

You actually think Donald Trump is a sane human being?

The man is severely mentally ill and emotionally stunted. If there's anything he isn't it's a rational actor. If this lie is what enables you to sleep at night, then so be it, but the truth is that we have a complete madman at the helm.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/882186896285282304

nice country boys, have a good one lmao

Wonderful Bread
Nov 11, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

Hahahahahahahaha

Hold on.

You actually think Donald Trump is a sane human being?

The man is severely mentally ill and emotionally stunted. If there's anything he isn't it's a rational actor. If this lie is what enables you to sleep at night, then so be it, but the truth is that we have a complete madman at the helm.

Please detail why you think Donal Trump is severely mentally ill without getting into why you disagree with his policies and method of government. As far as I can tell, he's a basic-bro who posts on Twitter a lot and plays politics poorly.

Unrelated, but psychology is the weakest science there is. Bringing it up in discourse is the same as using religion as an argument buffer in 1800.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

How would launching nukes theoretically work? Like I asume even if Don gave the order, at least a few other people would have to actually be willing to obey him, right?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Wonderful Bread posted:

Please detail why you think Donal Trump is severely mentally ill without getting into why you disagree with his policies and method of government. As far as I can tell, he's a basic-bro who posts on Twitter a lot and plays politics poorly.

Unrelated, but psychology is the weakest science there is. Bringing it up in discourse is the same as using religion as an argument buffer in 1800.

Oh nevermind you're a troll. Piss off.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Avalerion posted:

How would launching nukes theoretically work? Like I asume even if Don gave the order, at least a few other people would have to actually be willing to obey him, right?

no, there are a lot of good explanations of this. the system is set up so that if the president wants to nuke, he can nuke with no chance of mutiny. it's pretty bone-chilling, i suggest you look it up!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Wonderful Bread posted:

he's 70 years old and acts like he's 5.

Wonderful Bread
Nov 11, 2013

HAHAHAHAHA I wouldn't have seen this for hours if I wasn't here.

Our country is the greatest comedic act in history

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Booyah- posted:

no, there are a lot of good explanations of this. the system is set up so that if the president wants to nuke, he can nuke with no chance of mutiny. it's pretty bone-chilling, i suggest you look it up!

In theory someone like mattis would scream at him telling him to abort the second the orange one says launch.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nosfereefer posted:

North Korea is not just gonna nuke New York for shits and giggles.
[edit] The way you Yanks talk about North Korea is pretty weird. At the same time, they manage to both be a stone age hell hole without literacy, and where the locals will fall down weeping at the first sight of well fed American soldiers. In addition, they're some overbearing existential threat to the USA.

"Thus by a constant shifting of rhetorical focus,..."

Wonderful Bread
Nov 11, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

Oh nevermind you're a troll. Piss off.

SA is officially 4chan.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

loving hell.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Wonderful Bread posted:

:goonsay:

also

https://twitter.com/pacelattin/status/867949635028959232

skylined! fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jul 4, 2017

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Anyone who thinks China would just sit back and let NK nuke the economic center of the country their entire economy is tied to is an idiot :lol: If NK even gets close to getting ready to bomb the US for whatever reason China will probably have a "moment of moral clarity" and make sure the power structure of the NK is cleaned out as well as making sure they still exist to act as a buffer to their border against SK and the US

Holy poo poo I knew he was bad but this is like clear time for the nursing home moment

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Which reports though? Is there anything beyond this already widely-circulated footage?

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Wonderful Bread posted:

they are only pushing the trump is mentaly ill narrative because the trump-russia collusion conspiracy theory has been thoroughly disproved and his detractors are desperately clinging to the hope that he will somehow get impeached.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ban yourself.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Eox posted:

Legitimate question as I don't know much about missile defence, but wouldn't something launched from NK to NY get shot down either in the ocean or above a flyover state?

If you've lucky and good and have a system in range, you might be able to intercept it in it's boost phase.

Once it's orbital nothing current can touch it till it reaches the USA where theoretically the Ground Based Midcourse Defence system could engage it. It's current status is hard to pin down but people tend to use the word 'limited capabilities' a lot when discussing it.

Here's a short overview

http://thediplomat.com/2017/06/try-as-it-might-ballistic-missile-defense-wont-solve-the-united-states-north-korea-problem/

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

This was only a bit over a month ago? My perception of the passage of time has been well and truly hosed by this administration. It honestly feels like it's been years already.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

said this in the lol thread but we're all that kid in the jaunt that held his breath.

LONGER THAN YOU THINK DAD LONGER THAN YOU THINK

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

There Bias Two posted:

Is there anything beyond this already widely-circulated footage?

"what proof do we have of this happening other than this clear, well lit footage of this happening?"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Eox posted:

Depends on the missile type. A true ICBM... no. The warhead pretty much drops straight down from space. A cruise missile? Possibly. But spontaneous failure is more likely than 'shot down'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

"what proof do we have of this happening other than this clear, well lit footage of this happening?"

I didn't say it wasn't convincing, I was just wondering if there were other available accounts since the tweets referenced "reports".

• Locked thread