Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
I suppose that's fair. If I ever have a chance to shoot at the cockpit, I almost always take a few shots at it. I've managed to take down a few choppers thay way by killing the pilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I just played Compound for the first time and uh wow. It's kind of fun in a masochistic way.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I feel as if Chi Cu or whatever it is, is by far the map of in the game.

Being a competent squad leader or having one is also amazing. It's like have your own personal army at your disposal

It does seem as if the the VC get the rough end of the stick with just tunnels.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Tab8715 posted:

I feel as if Chi Cu or whatever it is, is by far the map of in the game.

Being a competent squad leader or having one is also amazing. It's like have your own personal army at your disposal

It does seem as if the the VC get the rough end of the stick with just tunnels.

Tunnels mean they have more men available for the fight, and that if the americans don't take actual map control they can be impossible to get out of an area once they've dug in.

It makes a big difference when your players who are (hopefully) more experienced and generally making good decisions as squad leaders can also stick their necks out and make risky plays without penalty. The normal squad spawning system means that your squad leader has to have the game knowledge that will let him make good decisions to be able to push forward, but that's one less person that you have with that knowledge who can be using it to actually be making progress and clearing enemies out.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Honestly the most enjoyment I'm getting out of this game is flying transport choppers. The controls took some getting used to but I'm doing pretty well now. It's a shame that there are only two maps with Hueys and only one of them is playable. Landing in an LZ and seeing grunts pouring out feels really good in this game, in a way that Battlefield: Vietnam never did.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Tekopo posted:

Honestly the most enjoyment I'm getting out of this game is flying transport choppers. The controls took some getting used to but I'm doing pretty well now. It's a shame that there are only two maps with Hueys and only one of them is playable. Landing in an LZ and seeing grunts pouring out feels really good in this game, in a way that Battlefield: Vietnam never did.

Being an LMG watching said landing zone also feels great.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is there a trick to using MGs without getting instantly sniped after deploying?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Set up behind your lines and treat it more as area denial. It's a tool of suppression, not direct killing.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
What he said. MG's don't work too well on point, so don't go looking for the enemy. Set up in a protected places where the the enemy will come to you.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I've had good luck using it as a suppression tool when assaulting a point, short bursts into areas with a high concentration of enemies tends to keep people's heads down.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Slurs down hacking up

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Hot Diggity! posted:

Slurs down hacking up

They don't even try to hide the hacks

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Pesticide20 posted:

LOL just got done playing a round where some dude ripped off about twenty headshots in the space of 30 seconds before he was banned. So yeah, not very subtle.

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005

Tab8715 posted:

Staying behind the point and suppressing an advance helps the team, but won't rack up a kill count unless the opposing team is retarded.

I find heading to the flanks in an area of cover and engaging the enemy as they run paralell to your position. Helps the team and the body count. Even more effective if you have some riflemen/sniper covering you. This works wonders in city maps, as they move out across a street into your kill zone. The only real defense is a smoke shield and lobbing grenades at you.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
I tested operation irving, turns out it has about a 90% crash rate for people, full server dropped down to about 5 people.

also there's a map called nui ba den that's on top of a rocky outcrop, and it seems to be quite popular for people that aren't mgs once they get past all the level geometry.
The bunkers on the map also had some recorded radio comms and hanoi hannah playing, which feels less obnoxious somehow than the propaganda broadcasts of ro2, possibly because it was in one room and not over the entire goddamn map

Cpt. Murphey
Mar 12, 2007
Wait, titles can have text in them? Well I'll be...

Tab8715 posted:

Don't deploy unless you are defending and you have a really really good position.

Otherwise fold up that bipod, peak around that corner and open up, fire some bursts into the building you know enemies are in and don't forget to charge that enemy stronghold.

Real-talk, your machine gun penetrates better than pretty much any other weapon so always be shooting into buildings you think jerks are in.

Edit: gently caress people who don't push with machineguns, you will do dirty dirty things with them if you push and use them to flush out the enemy.
You have lots of bullets, use them.

Cpt. Murphey fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 4, 2017

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

pnutz posted:

I tested operation irving, turns out it has about a 90% crash rate for people, full server dropped down to about 5 people.

also there's a map called nui ba den that's on top of a rocky outcrop, and it seems to be quite popular for people that aren't mgs once they get past all the level geometry.
The bunkers on the map also had some recorded radio comms and hanoi hannah playing, which feels less obnoxious somehow than the propaganda broadcasts of ro2, possibly because it was in one room and not over the entire goddamn map

Are you sure it's crashing or just lovely downloads? I've joined custom servers with like 5kbps download speeds.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
the server has a redirect set up, I've been playing maps on it for a while.

Also the cambodian incursion map has way too much z-axis nonsense going over hills between points, though it may not be intentional and the mappers might be intending to put blocking volumes up over some of the hills and narrow the random roaming a bit

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I checked out some custom maps last night and Cambodian Incursion seemed garbage for that reasons. It felt like literally every tree/rock I saw has a bad case of the hover.

I don't remember the name but the map prior in the rotation was some night map where the NVA defend a mansion and it's farms then a bridge. That map was cool and pretty good,

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

causticBeet posted:

I checked out some custom maps last night and Cambodian Incursion seemed garbage for that reasons. It felt like literally every tree/rock I saw has a bad case of the hover.

I don't remember the name but the map prior in the rotation was some night map where the NVA defend a mansion and it's farms then a bridge. That map was cool and pretty good,
That's Costeau Plantation iirc

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

pnutz posted:

the server has a redirect set up, I've been playing maps on it for a while.

Also the cambodian incursion map has way too much z-axis nonsense going over hills between points, though it may not be intentional and the mappers might be intending to put blocking volumes up over some of the hills and narrow the random roaming a bit

Yeah, what I mean is that when you join a server and start downloading the map you can end up with insanely slow download speeds. I was playing with a guy who has 100mb down and couldn't even finish downloading a map before the round ended. I'm assuming that that's why server populations will implode when a match ends and transitions to a custom map.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

haha

I'm trying to figure out why the game lets you adjust your scopes for shots out to 800m. I've been sniping a lot lately and the farthest shot I've been able to make is around 250m and I don't think there's any map that has a useful shooting spot past 300m from any point.

Also, the game engine starts going wonky past 225m and won't draw certain objects, so looking through your scope, you might see a dude that looks like he's standing out in the open, but you won't be able to hit him because he's actually behind an invisible wall (that wasn't drawn). This is especially bad on Chu Chi.

Medlar
Mar 14, 2013

Bashar al-Asuh Dude
I think the sight graduations are in yards and converted to meters or something. :confused:

Following on the engine limitations with distance, I feel like I cannot accurately tell distances in this game very well. If you spend any trying to mark coordinates you think youre putting a good mark because it says it's "allowed" and then look on the map to discover it's in BFE

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Medlar posted:

I think the sight graduations are in yards and converted to meters or something. :confused:

Following on the engine limitations with distance, I feel like I cannot accurately tell distances in this game very well. If you spend any trying to mark coordinates you think youre putting a good mark because it says it's "allowed" and then look on the map to discover it's in BFE

No they're in yards for the US weapons, meters for the others

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Cpt. Murphey posted:

Don't deploy unless you are defending and you have a really really good position.

Otherwise fold up that bipod, peak around that corner and open up, fire some bursts into the building you know enemies are in and don't forget to charge that enemy stronghold.

Real-talk, your machine gun penetrates better than pretty much any other weapon so always be shooting into buildings you think jerks are in.

Edit: gently caress people who don't push with machineguns, you will do dirty dirty things with them if you push and use them to flush out the enemy.
You have lots of bullets, use them.
I just did this and it was awesome.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

haha

I'm trying to figure out why the game lets you adjust your scopes for shots out to 800m. I've been sniping a lot lately and the farthest shot I've been able to make is around 250m and I don't think there's any map that has a useful shooting spot past 300m from any point.

Also, the game engine starts going wonky past 225m and won't draw certain objects, so looking through your scope, you might see a dude that looks like he's standing out in the open, but you won't be able to hit him because he's actually behind an invisible wall (that wasn't drawn). This is especially bad on Chu Chi.

Finally got the White feather achievement (Over 250 metres kill with the xm21 sniper) on An Lao. I had to stand down beyond E, and I took out some guy standing in the bunker at the top of C. Thats the only place in the game I figure you have any need for plus 300 on your scope.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
[quote=" post="474022111"]
[/quote]

Had one mat h guy got 134 kills. His team said he was shooting through a wall. We still beat them. Badly.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

GyverMac posted:

Finally got the White feather achievement (Over 250 metres kill with the xm21 sniper) on An Lao. I had to stand down beyond E, and I took out some guy standing in the bunker at the top of C. Thats the only place in the game I figure you have any need for plus 300 on your scope.

On the police station of Cu Chi you can get 250-300m kills at the NVA spawn for B & C (burnt forest between seems just ahead of D & E.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Zig-Zag posted:

Had one mat h guy got 134 kills. His team said he was shooting through a wall. We still beat them. Badly.

Not to say they're liars as I'm sure there are plenty of hacks, but with good marks a competent commander can get 200+ kills, so triple digit kills aren't always a tell in this.

But if his own team was reporting him.....

Medlar
Mar 14, 2013

Bashar al-Asuh Dude
This is the first game I've ever played with the concept where I genuinely enjoy being a commander. It seems if you have at least one good, communicative squad leader you can steam roll the enemy if you're on a public server.

My in-game name is A Game of Crohns atm, if you see me on a server, holla atcha boi. Usually playing with Basticle and some others

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Me literally anytime I try to climb something

https://streamable.com/4wxf9

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

GyverMac posted:

Congrats! That's generally where I was to get my 244m.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

goty https://streamable.com/x3zuy

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
My most gruesome death so far involved me getting shot in the head while standing on a bamboo scaffolding, then falling backwards but being caught by the edge of the scaffolding, so the upper half of my body dangled over the side in an L-shape and bent at the waist. My arms even dangled down.

It was right near the Cu Chi U.S. spawn too so I got to have a good look before my corpse vanished.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 5, 2017

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I was in a helo that emergency crash landed and we all hopped out. The pilot was asked someone to kill him so I turned around and popped him in the noggin with the duckbill and his head vaporized. I had no idea that could happen. Game owns.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The game does own.

I've been dabbling in map creation, the SDK likes to crash because the game is running on UDK3 not 4 and it has some other issues but it isn't too difficult thanks to some tutorials around the place. I've got a plan and design but I'm still laying out the terrain and getting the sizing of things correct. Initially the map was way too large, like 2km long but it is now 1km from end to end with a playing area about 800m long, which is about the length of CuChi, although mine will have helicopters.

Also doing something different in that it is the Southern (US) team defending against the North. Although if they do add in Aussies it'll be thematically appropriate given it is loosely based off a real engagement and location.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Quite A Tool posted:

I was in a helo that emergency crash landed and we all hopped out. The pilot was asked someone to kill him so I turned around and popped him in the noggin with the duckbill and his head vaporized. I had no idea that could happen. Game owns.

Pointblank hunting shotgun did this.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

turn off the TV posted:

Yeah, what I mean is that when you join a server and start downloading the map you can end up with insanely slow download speeds. I was playing with a guy who has 100mb down and couldn't even finish downloading a map before the round ended. I'm assuming that that's why server populations will implode when a match ends and transitions to a custom map.

that's what I meant too.

some servers have a setup where it redirects download requests to another server, otherwise as you said it downloads at like 64kbps and gives everyone actually on the server awful lag while the downloads are going on.

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

it's a holdover from ro2, most of those are impractical but they would be facing howls of outrage from the rivet counters if they only half-implemented it otherwise

quote:

I made a video on that a while back, they've fixed a few of the problems but the invisible mounds and walls and tombstones are still a nightmare to try and hit people behind, especially when they get completely behind the object and stop rendering at all :\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Server redirects for map downloads has been a thing for what? 20 years? What loving idiots are running a custom map server without that?

• Locked thread