Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm not an expert on bridge costs, but is that really a 12 million dollar bridge?

it is now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

i have that glass, :lol:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm not an expert on bridge costs, but is that really a 12 million dollar bridge?

look bribes aint cheap

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, looking at scale based on the people that's a reasonable cost for a durable and functional steel rebar reinforced concrete bridge of that size intended to last 40 to 80 years.

Except they hosed it up to all holy hell and I'm still trying to work backward to wrap my head around how they hosed it up so bad and where everything started to go wrong other than the very beginning of everything.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
C-SPAM, call Kenya...

tell them i've got a 5 dollar footlong if they want one for that bridge

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Bethamphetamine posted:

Yeah, looking at scale based on the people that's a reasonable cost for a durable and functional steel rebar reinforced concrete bridge of that size intended to last 40 to 80 years.

Except they hosed it up to all holy hell and I'm still trying to work backward to wrap my head around how they hosed it up so bad and where everything started to go wrong other than the very beginning of everything.

lol how the gently caress did the soviets literally have a solid space program but the chinese can't even build fuckin bridges and they're like a gazillion times wealthier?

i'm serious... how did this happen. USSR loving could have beaten us to the Moon. how the gently caress does this happen with china? loving amateur hour over there.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Guy Goodbody posted:

I just looked up what the deal is with that Charlie Gard thing. Holy poo poo those parents are monstrous

lol when the pope sides against you keeping your loving baby alive [because you're making it suffer to death, dumbass]

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

feels like a looming certainty that trump will mishandle the korean missile crisis and millions will die

only question in my mind is if the death and misery caused by bush's iraq war will get eclipsed by the time trump leaves office

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

~ The value of an object consists solely of what its purchaser will pay for it ~

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Crusader posted:

feels like a looming certainty that trump will mishandle the korean missile crisis and millions will die

only question in my mind is if the death and misery caused by bush's iraq war will get eclipsed by the time trump leaves office

unless he's impeached before the midterms, yes

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

BarronsArtGallery posted:

lol how the gently caress did the soviets literally have a solid space program but the chinese can't even build fuckin bridges and they're like a gazillion times wealthier?

i'm serious... how did this happen. USSR loving could have beaten us to the Moon. how the gently caress does this happen with china? loving amateur hour over there.

I've talked with chinese P.S.'s and P.E.'s in Vegas at conferences. In urban areas they are meticulous and have extreme attention to detail. In rural areas nobody gives a gently caress and they unreliably follow suit.

Never take the lowest bid when a chinese company is in the mix. Or never take bids from chinese companies in foreign countries without giving them heightened scrutiny (which is deserved).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Happens a lot with Chinese investment in Africa. Grifters both from the Chinese side and the locals. A lot of that money never went into the bridge.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
a bridge to nowhere

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Because the Russians were world-leading experts in rocketry going back to the early 1900s and they had a command economy which allowed them to do flashy poo poo.

Also the Chinese don't care about robbing foreigners. I'm sure the British built some lovely bridges over in Africa, y'know.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Counting down until a Cali goon tries to explain that this is actually extremely good for 2018 elections

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

those crash bandicoot remasters looking good

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Crusader posted:

its like watching a speeding freight train slam into a cruise ship on nine eleven

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Oh poo poo. This has been a long dumb bridge derail. Somebody is going to post an artisinal 1957 Bridge on the River Kwai gif and post a quippy remark about dumb poo poo

I want to post how much I hate them and include a word in this sentence that indicates that I am smug about how smart and awesome that I am but I've had a lot of rum so, you know...just fill in the blanks for this post please. Whatevs.

No matter how much I hate bridge on the river kwai poster, just know that I hate every picture related to that goddamn bridge 10 times more than my nemesis poster.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Oh poo poo. This has been a long dumb bridge derail. Somebody is going to post an artisinal 1957 Bridge on the River Kwai gif and post a quippy remark about dumb poo poo

I want to post how much I hate them and include a word in this sentence that indicates that I am smug about how smart and awesome that I am but I've had a lot of rum so, you know...just fill in the blanks for this post please. Whatevs.

No matter how much I hate bridge on the river kwai poster, just know that I hate every picture related to that goddamn bridge 10 times more than my nemesis poster.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Black cats are the best

Hail Satan

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Guy Goodbody posted:

that's pretty cheap for a bridge that size

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/882186896285282304

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
bridges are cool

i worked on a minor side project related to the new port mann bridge in vancouver

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

The Muppets On PCP posted:

that's pretty cheap for a bridge that size

sorry i haven't gotten around to playing Bridge Appraiser Simulator 2017 yet

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

okay kill me now

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
It's like a methodist patriotic song lmao

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

lol that owns

lol that owns

lol ... :thunk:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

second v reboot lookin weird

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

gently caress AMERICA

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

groverhaus has become...grover bridge

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

The Muppets On PCP posted:

groverhaus has become...grover bridge

I can't stop thinking this is the result of one of those "have a bridge to sell you" situations.

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

On the chest of a barmaid in Sale, were tattooed the prices of ale. And on her behind for the sake of the blind, was the same information in braille.

Turdfuzz posted:

gently caress AMERICA

:same::agreed:

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

On the chest of a barmaid in Sale, were tattooed the prices of ale. And on her behind for the sake of the blind, was the same information in braille.

loving obnoxious piece of poo poo

can't wait until he loving dies

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I did a thing posted:

loving obnoxious piece of poo poo

can't wait until he loving dies
What the heck kind of post signature is this

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

The longer I stare at that CNN pic the angrier I get. People spent time and effort to create that bridge, but one or more(but probably one) dumb idiot hosed everything up. Everybody is going to focus on the fallen middle piece, but that fell and remained intact. That was very likely built 100% to spec. I am maddened with righteous rage at a public works project.

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

Bethamphetamine posted:

The longer I stare at that CNN pic the angrier I get. People spent time and effort to create that bridge, but one or more(but probably one) dumb idiot hosed everything up. Everybody is going to focus on the fallen middle piece, but that fell and remained intact. That was very likely built 100% to spec. I am maddened with righteous rage at a public works project.

Is it even salvageable at this point? Is there some manner of heroic ducktaping that could make it reasonably usable and safe for a period or is it one of those things you have to scrap to the bedrock and start over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

FactsAreUseless posted:

What the heck kind of post signature is this

:shrug:

venting. its been a rough week and its only tuesday. and today i'm off.

• Locked thread