Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
So does this mean the half dozen channels on DirecTV that show the overflow games are gone next season?

edit: bummer

quote:

Some of you might think that you’ll have a backup plan in place. As part of its distribution package, NBC has offered overflow linear TV channels to pay-TV providers for the simultaneous kickoffs when there’s no room left on the mainstream channels.

Those are going away too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
$50 a season when I'm losing access to cable from my parents sign-in anyway? Could be worse.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

TheBigAristotle posted:

$50 a season when I'm losing access to cable from my parents sign-in anyway? Could be worse.

The $50 is only for the streaming of matches that aren't being televised on one of NBC's 53 channels.

You won't be able to watch any of the matches that are broadcast on NBC Sports in that case.

Get an antenna to watch NBC games I guess.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/28/world/europe/uk-hillsborough-soccer-stadium-charges.html

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

TheBigAristotle posted:

Yea, $50 a year for all the poo poo matches. If you follow A Big Club, 80% of those matches will be on the normal NBC Sports or CNBC or NBC, in which you will need a cable subscription, not the $50 premier pass. (Or just get an antenna for the NBC matches).

The model before was perfectly fine and now they are just getting greedy because it was successful. I hope they fail and people just move back to watching poo poo streams instead of giving comcast money.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003

Shoren posted:

NBC is incredibly dumb. I'd pay a couple hundred bucks a year to stream any match I wanted because I hate having a cable subscription literally just for football. But no, they're owned by Comcast so they want more subscriptions so no way they'd offer an appealing online-only option.

massive lol for anyone not leeching their login off of some dumb family member or friend who has an actual cable subscription

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Yea, $50 a year for all the poo poo matches. If you follow A Big Club, 80% of those matches will be on the normal NBC Sports or CNBC or NBC, in which you will need a cable subscription, not the $50 premier pass. (Or just get an antenna for the NBC matches).

The model before was perfectly fine and now they are just getting greedy because it was successful. I hope they fail and people just move back to watching poo poo streams instead of giving comcast money.

they are failing anyway as the article states they've lost ~100k viewers in a year

gently caress em

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

vivisectvnv posted:

massive lol for anyone not leeching their login off of some dumb family member or friend who has an actual cable subscription

And now even when you do this you aren't guaranteed to see the specific matches you want to watch! massive lol!

As I said, the premier league product from NBC was essentially perfect the last two years. This change sucks.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Thom P. Tiers posted:

As I said, the premier league product from NBC was essentially perfect the last two years. This change sucks.

It did, but I'm not surprised at all that they changed it. It was a big operation and they were only getting poo poo-tier advertisements. I'm sure it was bleeding cash.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

This is still infinitely better than the old Fox Soccer Channel setup. I think I paid $130 a year for dog poo poo streams and they didn't have all the games.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

blue footed boobie posted:

It did, but I'm not surprised at all that they changed it. It was a big operation and they were only getting poo poo-tier advertisements. I'm sure it was bleeding cash.

Those God-awful Chevy commercials are the worst. "Look at all the dumb awards we got from organizations no one has ever heard of!"

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

This is still infinitely better than the old Fox Soccer Channel setup. I think I paid $130 a year for dog poo poo streams and they didn't have all the games.

Subscribing to Fox Sports and Fox Sports Plus (or whatever it was called) then maybe getting to see the game you wanted on a 5 hour delay, or perhaps the following Tuesday.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

But you could watch the RPL or Aussie rules football!!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Wait, so you mean to tell me that instead of being able to watch essentially every match on Live Extra, I'm going to need to 1) subscribe to cable and 2) ALSO pay $50 a year for the non-aired Premier League games? We're cord cutters and have been utilizing a family member's Live Extra account and I'm sure as poo poo not going to deal with another box under our television for the 3 hours a week of soccer we watch. gently caress this noise to infinity.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Plus paying for a Setanta Sports subscription to watch streamed matches that looked more like moving oil paintings.

I think I also had a MUTV subscription when you were able to get one in the US to watch cup matches because none of those were televised in America.

And failing that, searching for the dodgiest of Russian streams on atdhe or its mirrors.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

If you can't find a HD stream for every United or Chelsea game then smdh

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Bogan Krkic posted:

If you can't find a HD stream for every United or Chelsea game then smdh

I found one, it was called loving NBC Live Extra and it was fresh as hell and I could watch it from my Amazon Fire TV on my big, gently caress-off television without choking down 18 pounds of Ukranian horse-meat malware.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I found one, it was called loving NBC Live Extra and it was fresh as hell and I could watch it from my Amazon Fire TV on my big, gently caress-off television without choking down 18 pounds of Ukranian horse-meat malware.

Looks like you should get cable or shut the gently caress up then!

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

You don't really even need proper cable, just get Sling or PS Vue, they're significantly cheaper and will (ostensibly) still work towards the "cable" requirement.

This isn't to say that what NBC is doing isn't lame as gently caress, but there are alternatives to plunking $100+ bucks a month on a cable subscription.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 28, 2017

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

real men just sit and wait for the scores to update on ceefax, none of this on-demand streaming poo poo

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

HD streams aren't always available even for the big teams. In the past season it's been difficult to find streams when big teams all play at the same time. This is especially true for English-language streams.

It's a bit easier to get a dodgy Russian stream, but watching one makes you cherish English commentary, even the lovely sort, a lot more.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

FullLeatherJacket posted:

real men just sit and wait for the scores to update on ceefax, none of this on-demand streaming poo poo

I miss James Alexander Gordon :(

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Lot 49 posted:

I miss James Alexander Gordon :(

No one told you just how poo poo your team were like the way he said "nil" after the team name did.

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!
If you were living in a proper time zone or country you'd be watching the football the way god intended: yelling at a tv in a pub

Also acceptable: listening to five live and getting angry at Alan Green

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
hey lots of posts I bet something interesting happened

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

RideTheSpiral posted:

hey lots of posts I bet something interesting happened

Hillsborough Fuckers got charged

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Ah dang, that blows. Dodgy streams, it is!

Cuban Chowder Factory
Jun 3, 2002

Lenin Riefenstahl posted:

If you were living in a proper time zone or country you'd be watching the football the way god intended: yelling at a tv in a pub

Also acceptable: listening to five live and getting angry at Alan Green

I live in an improper time zone and still yell at the TV in the pub.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Do ya remember ceefax? do ya? do ya? It were like the internet except you'd short out the remote with yer brass hand!

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

We should all just get that NZ premier league setup they had. Every match, online streaming only, and it was like $150.

Yeah, this was amazing. All the games in HD, and you could even watch them picture in picture, or re-watch the entire thing later. Their highlights were also great.

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006

shut up blegum posted:

Yeah, this was amazing. All the games in HD, and you could even watch them picture in picture, or re-watch the entire thing later. Their highlights were also great.

Unfortunately this only lasted a season before going bust...

In NZ we are back to going through Sky TV (but it's at least BeIN sports and we get all games)

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

We should all just get that NZ premier league setup they had. Every match, online streaming only, and it was like $150.

It was great while it lasted but sadly they only managed to keep the rights for two seasons. Now it's back with Sky TV which is just not worth getting here anymore now you have the likes of Netflix etc. There really needs to be a global online service that everyone can access but I think that would just nail another nail in the coffin that is TV.

I work with an Argentinean guy who pays for a Spanish language streaming service that offers football from all around the world and given my distaste for most commentary it's pretty tempting.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014
insanely good

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
http://maniahd.rocks/ is amazing. It's what used to be Sports Nation, changed recently.

It's £50 for a year and well worth it.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

Mickolution posted:

http://maniahd.rocks/ is amazing. It's what used to be Sports Nation, changed recently.

It's £50 for a year and well worth it.

Sportsnation was what I was planning on subscribing to, so this is probably great

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Daktari posted:

Sportsnation was what I was planning on subscribing to, so this is probably great

It's the exact same service. They've just moved. Not changed Kodi over yet, but the browser page hasn't changed. The MatrixTV app doesn't seem to work any more, but I saw something on the site about their own app. They've changed the pricing a little. £12 per month or £50 for a year I think and the've removed the 3 & 6 month options, which is a shame, nice to have the option of a shorter period in case the site goes down or something.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
After initially being expected to miss a game or two in November of 2016, Santi Cazorla will be out until at least April, and may never play again.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

blue footed boobie posted:

After initially being expected to miss a game or two in November of 2016, Santi Cazorla will be out until at least April, and may never play again.

What the gently caress happened to him? Are the Arsenal physios medieval plague doctors or something

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

What the gently caress happened to him? Are the Arsenal physios medieval plague doctors or something

"It’s been a difficult season, since I have not played since November. I’ve been through surgery eight times.

"I had the last one yesterday, and hopefully everything will go well.

"Since November I have had complications. There was bacteria in the operating room and I suffered an infection in a bone. The scar did not close and I had a skin graft."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

"It’s been a difficult season, since I have not played since November. I’ve been through surgery eight times.

"I had the last one yesterday, and hopefully everything will go well.

"Since November I have had complications. There was bacteria in the operating room and I suffered an infection in a bone. The scar did not close and I had a skin graft."

So yeah...Basically he had surgery in a 3rd world country

• Locked thread