Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Happy birthday USA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Happy bday, america.

I hope you get better soon :unsmith:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY 'MERICUH

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Missionary Positron posted:

Happy bday, america.

I hope you get better soon :unsmith:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J1ctr877qs

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Happy birthday, America. :patriot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAsbmoEt6rg

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePQ9_re7f1A

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP864oBWxeM

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/mattytalks/status/882371024985174017

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Hey ya'll I know im kinda late but I hope everyone is having a wonderful 4th of July.

I don't know about all of you but I def. got a legit boner waking up knowing that america is totes amazing.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I had a boner during the fireworks, and now it hurts because that was, hands down, the toothiest blowjob I've ever gotten.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

gently caress the gods.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
You can take this dick from my cold, dead hands.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dude went out mid-jack, which is the way to go out if you're gonna die

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
HAPPY 4th MOTHA FUCKAS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9SFlZDkSVU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/jimpjorps/status/882616499063721989

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

spicy

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Spent two and a half hours this afternoon just trying to find a specific sheet of gasket material. Yo, parts stores: if you don't actually have an item in stock, you should probably not make that claim when a customer queries your website and/or shows up to get it. It's probably also a good idea to double-check triple-check that the other store nearby actually has it on hand before you direct the customer there.

It only took four tries to get it right.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Inventory management systems suck balls. The one my job uses is loving awful, and they paid a dumb amount of money to use a system that constantly deletes poo poo from inventory, duplicates orders and fucks up probably a solid quarter of inter-departmental transfers. I loving hate it and bitch about it every chance I get when the bosses are milling around in the warehouse.

gently caress inventory management programs. gently caress. Them. To. Death.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

STORY TIME:

Back when the "RESOURCE- Ask Us About Joining The US Military!" thread was still a thing, I mentioned that one of my idiot friends was smart enough to get a nuclear engineering degree, but dumb enough to enlist as a Navy nuke rather than becoming some kind of non-nuclear officer, even after I tried to talk him out of it. There were some good responses.

Cole posted:

Holy poo poo lmao

Just let him go through with it. But first have him write essay about what he thinks he is getting into.

Then when reality sets in after about two years have him write another essay about what he got. This is if he hasnt blown his head off or drank himself to getting kicked out.

Then delete this thread and start a new thread with those two essays as the only thing in the OP. Then close and lock the thread.

Godholio posted:

This, but post the essay.

So way back in 2015, while he was still in boot camp, I asked Cole's question, and got this back:

quote:

I am enjoying boot camp as far as anyone can enjoy it. You asked me about expectations about the Navy, well I was way off about boot camp to start. I went to the gym as much as I could, worried that I would have a hard time with a physically demanding exercise regimine, but it has been really easy. Our first PFA I passed easily although surprisingly more than half failed. We are lucky if we get PT every other day. I'd say boot camp is more boring and annoying than anything else.
I didn't believe that the Navy had its way of learning as I had heard before but I can already see it. It's very focused on learning by rote and giving verbatim definitions. Studying for the tests here is similar to the nuke cheating scandal where they had the questions that would be on the test beforehand and would memorize answers. Here we have a powerpoint with 85% of the questions on the test and the Education Petty Officer recruits just go over answers rather than explaining them.
I already see the hurry up and wait philosophy here. It is ridiculous sometimes. It's as if everything must be done in serial rather than parallel and as if leadership - both petty officer and recruit - have no concept of bottlenecking.
Still though there are some good surprises. It does seem it is common for sailors to use education benefits and everyone talks about all the places they get to visit.
How I miss the little things like sleep and showering alone. Still, the people here are generally cool except for the tools and snitches who think they are RDCs (Recruit Division Commander). The food is really good and I am eating healthier. Overall it's not too bad.

I've been playing the long game. Two years later, he's graduated from enlisted nuke school as an ET2, and gotten to his first ship. It's in dry dock, so they also made him an assistant cook. I followed up and asked what he thinks of enlisting now.

THE DRAMATIC CONCLUSION

quote:

Yeah I regret enlisting

I should have taken whatever officer job they could get me

Being enlisted sucks

I spent all this time getting a degree to end up cleaning

And I won't even be doing the job I enlisted for for at least another year and a half

I stood a five hour watch in which the only thing I did was take phone comms regarding a pressure reading

That had an amplifier in maneuvering so the guy taking logs could hear it

Not that it even mattered if the roving watch called it in since a camera system allows the shutdown reactor operator to see the gauge reading anyway

So yeah it loving sucks

But yeah I think boot camp was a pretty good sign of things to come

God today I had urinalysis

I drank so much water and coffee it made me sick

Probably used the bathroom half a dozen times and was peeing clear

Edit: Zeris, please start a sticky thread with only these two essays, then close and lock the thread, that it may stand as warning against those who would enlist with a degree.

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jul 6, 2017

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

i just came reading that

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
show that to the lurker dude

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Arc Light posted:

STORY TIME:

Back when the "RESOURCE- Ask Us About Joining The US Military!" thread was still a thing, I mentioned that one of my idiot friends was smart enough to get a nuclear engineering degree, but dumb enough to enlist as a Navy nuke rather than becoming some kind of non-nuclear officer, even after I tried to talk him out of it. There were some good responses.

So way back in 2015, while he was still in boot camp, I asked Cole's question, and got this back:

I've been playing the long game. Two years later, he's graduated from enlisted nuke school as an ET2, and gotten to his first ship. It's in dry dock, so they also made him an assistant cook. I followed up and asked what he thinks of enlisting now.

THE DRAMATIC CONCLUSION

Edit: Zeris, please start a sticky thread with only these two essays, then close and lock the thread, that it may stand as warning against those who would enlist with a degree.

That's awesome.

As an added bonus after learning about suspension and revocation of mariner credentials, they would never allow the piss tests we take to fly. They would all be so dilute because people get forced to drink so much water around here that none of the tests would count for anything.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Your friend sounds like a little bitch. If standing a stupid 5 hour watch and urinalysis was the worst thing that happened to him that day he's living the good life.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Your friend sounds like a little bitch. If standing a stupid 5 hour watch and urinalysis was the worst thing that happened to him that day he's living the good life.
:agreed:

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Cranking is a loving vacation for nukes.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Somebody took a poo poo underneath my back porch... then meticulously covered it up. :wtc: Landlord needs to hurry up with those cameras.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Naked Bear posted:

Somebody took a poo poo underneath my back porch... then meticulously covered it up. :wtc: Landlord needs to hurry up with those cameras.

Don't dox me

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
( ^_^)o自自o(^_^ )

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Mad Dragon posted:

Having E-5 nukes crank was kinda funny. Ya bitch, gimme that sweettea.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Mad Dragon posted:

Cranking? Is that a euphemism for something?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Arc Light posted:

Food Service Attendant. On a ship there isn't enough cooks to do all the bitch work so every division has to contribute someone to basically wash dishes and do kitchen bitchwork. Almost every enlisted person cranks at some point (I didn't).

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Arc Light posted:

It is 30-180 days of kitchen duty. Normally done by E-3 and below at least once during the first ship they are on. Sometimes ships are in shipyard for a long time and you end up with senior enlisted doing it as well due to lack of lower ranks. Skimmers don't have that issue as much as subs as far as I know.

You clean, do dishes, bring dudes drinks, move stores around and other various bullshit things. It's all the food service work at like a fastfood place but without doing any cooking. At the same time you are expected to do your quals as well (learning your real job /doing submarine pin work)

ded fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 7, 2017

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

lol at being 28 years old and doing kitchen bitchwork as an E-5. Just loving :lol:

It's rare that I'm glad I enlisted as a teenager, but goddamn, it's nice to be an NCOIC and have NCOs and airmen to handle the poo poo jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
It happened a lot on my boat due to nukes using the STAR program to get pushbutton E-5 and our COB being a shithead who hated nukes and thought it was punishment for them.

• Locked thread