Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Apologies for quoting my own tweet, but it's quite remarkable how well this works:

https://twitter.com/adambailey27/status/882207708660637700

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/882196305396867072

Gilead here we come!

(Yes I know this continues an expect trend and is entirely explainable by cultural changes)

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
TBF babies are pretty drat expensive.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Anyone who thinks China would just sit back and let NK nuke the economic center of the country their entire economy is tied to is an idiot :lol: If NK even gets close to getting ready to bomb the US for whatever reason China will probably have a "moment of moral clarity" and make sure the power structure of the NK is cleaned out as well as making sure they still exist to act as a buffer to their border against SK and the US

Phew, that helps me a lot that a poster on the something awful dot com forums who doesn't finish his sentences with a period thinks that China will "probably" have a "moment of moral clarity" because they totally have every aspect of North Korea under control and will surely be able to step in at the last second when the dear leader decides to do something stupid. We also can't have a border between China and a country that's not controlled by it, nosiree, it's better to have these people to be under that regime forever, which is totally not morally bankrupt attitude because they deserve it or something.

China has ways of shutting an unwanted nuclear attack down.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Jealous Cow posted:

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/882196305396867072

Gilead here we come!

(Yes I know this continues an expect trend and is entirely explainable by cultural changes)

As I said in another thread where this got brought up as part of the "Millennials are ruining everything (and might gently caress up our economic house of cards)"...

To be fair how can you possibly expect the boomers to decipher the crazy code the millennials are using:

"👏 we 👏🏻 don't 👏🏼 have 👏🏽 any 👏🏾 money 👏🏿"

loving Esperanto or something.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Shifty Pony posted:

As I said in another thread where this got brought up as part of the "Millennials are ruining everything (and might gently caress up our economic house of cards)"...

To be fair how can you possibly expect the boomers to decipher the crazy code the millennials are using:

"👏 we 👏🏻 don't 👏🏼 have 👏🏽 any 👏🏾 money 👏🏿"

loving Esperanto or something.

The reply is, "well, maybe you should work harder." It's like they literally cannot comprehend a system that works against them.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

There Bias Two posted:

The reply is, "well, maybe you should work harder." It's like they literally cannot comprehend a system that works against them.

Of course they can't - they were a generation raised with good stable jobs, cheap insurance and housing, and college that didn't cost more than a house.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
The will to advise people to bootstrap themselves out of their problems is strong.

It engenders a feeling of wisdom in the teller, while simultaneously inspiring hatred of all things in the receiver.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Imagine being the head of another state and having to try to act serious and respectful to Trump at the G20.

I can't imagine any of them don't have utter contempt for him, at a minimum.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
My baby met our deductible right away but we are still paying bills for her birth and will be doing so for the next two years. Without insurance we'd be ruined and looking at a bill almost three times as much. We've made by by pure breast feeding and making our own food for her but we still both work so we pay a friend to watch her for us. If we hd to pay for full fledge daycare we'd be screwed. And we are lucky as all hell. I see others I grew up with who laugh at the mere thought of kids because of how pricey everything is. But of course it's all millennial hook up culture/ sharing culture that is causing all the housing/traditional family unit to fall cause reasons

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Crackbone posted:

Of course they can't - they were a generation raised with good stable jobs, cheap insurance and housing, and college that didn't cost more than a house.

It is shocking to realize how badly college fucks over people who ultimately never put their degrees to use.

Tens of thousands in debt for the comparative advantage of "this person went to college" on a resume for a job unrelated to their field of study.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Spiffster posted:

My baby met our deductible right away but we are still paying bills for her birth and will be doing so for the next two years. Without insurance we'd be ruined and looking at a bill almost three times as much. We've made by by pure breast feeding and making our own food for her but we still both work so we pay a friend to watch her for us. If we hd to pay for full fledge daycare we'd be screwed. And we are lucky as all hell. I see others I grew up with who laugh at the mere thought of kids because of how pricey everything is. But of course it's all millennial hook up culture/ sharing culture that is causing all the housing/traditional family unit to fall cause reasons

The cost of a hospital birth/hospital stay is loving astronomical. I think we paid ~1500 out of pocket and the dollar amount on the bill from the hospital was ~6000.

My second kid was a homebirth and my mother was the CPM and didn't charge us. It was the greatest gift my mom ever gave me and that includes my actual existence.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Chilichimp posted:

The cost of a hospital birth/hospital stay is loving astronomical. I think we paid ~1500 out of pocket and the dollar amount on the bill from the hospital was ~6000.

My second kid was a homebirth and my mother was the CPM and didn't charge us. It was the greatest gift my mom ever gave me and that includes my actual existence.

Our deductible is 5k, we hit it both this year and the last due to baby appointments and the actual birth. American health insurance is a joke

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Chilichimp posted:

It is shocking to realize how badly college fucks over people who ultimately never put their degrees to use.

Tens of thousands in debt for the comparative advantage of "this person went to college" on a resume for a job unrelated to their field of study.

Yeah showing the "I used my bootstraps, your generation should too!" folks how much education costs now and how low wages are (or job listings requiring a college degree) in whatever bullshit job they claim they did to pay their own way is about the only way to reach them. Even that has a high failure rate because they can't imagine how that could possibly be the way things are now.

Tuition alone is up 300% at the state school I went to, and housing is absurdly expensive now because rich people are buying up units to use as game day condos.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Spiffster posted:

Our deductible is 5k, we hit it both this year and the last due to baby appointments and the actual birth. American health insurance is a joke

Jesus Christ, that's a high deductible.

Shifty Pony posted:

Yeah showing the "I used my bootstraps, your generation should too!" folks how much education costs now and how low wages are (or job listings requiring a college degree) in whatever bullshit job they claim they did to pay their own way is about the only way to reach them. Even that has a high failure rate because they can't imagine how that could possibly be the way things are now.

Tuition alone is up 300% at the state school I went to, and housing is absurdly expensive now because rich people are buying up units to use as game day condos.

lol "I clerked at a lawfirm for 4 years while I was getting my UNDERGRADUATE degree!" is definitely a thing that will not happen in 2017, and yet, boomers don't see how they had a leg up.

:shrug:

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Jul 4, 2017

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Chilichimp posted:

If I had a smaller deductible I'd be taking home 200 dollars a paycheck. I get 700 where I'm at right now. It sucks so drat hard and I'm already participating in the health care plan with reduced rates

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Chilichimp posted:

The guy who comes and sells our insurance for plans for work (we're a small company), told us he needed 2 surgeries, but is waiting until the year end (this was in octoberish) so he can do them both in the same year, so he hits the deductible only once.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Spiffster posted:

If I had a smaller deductible I'd be taking home 200 dollars a paycheck. I get 700 where I'm at right now. It sucks so drat hard and I'm already participating in the health care plan with reduced rates

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

The guy who comes and sells our insurance for plans for work (we're a small company), told us he needed 2 surgeries, but is waiting until the year end (this was in octoberish) so he can do them both in the same year, so he hits the deductible only once.

I know that a 5k deductible isn't even an uncommon sum. I signed up for the ACA exchanges last year to "see for myself" what the plans cost and what the benefits were and to my middle-class-professional-employer-provided-health-insurance understanding, those plans (5k deductible not uncommon) seemed like a loving insult for the monthly premiums in the 600-800 dollar range for a family.

A non-rich person couldn't realistically afford those plans. It is no wonder the middle class is losing their loving minds over the ACA/Exchanges, as they get no assistance to pay for them.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 4, 2017

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Eox posted:

Legitimate question as I don't know much about missile defence, but wouldn't something launched from NK to NY get shot down either in the ocean or above a flyover state?

Shooting down an ICBM would be monstrously difficult. Even the best missile defense systems would have huge failure rates.

An ICBM is ballistic, meaning it is not powered by an engine for its entire flight like an airplane or a cruise missile. Instead, they're basically launched into orbit and rely on gravity to bring them back down.

This means an ICBM is making its final target approach at over ten thousand miles per hour, from orbit - some even hit four miles per second.

Shooting one down is like shooting a bullet with another bullet. It's wildly difficult, even with the best modern computers. And you have to not just hit the missile, but neutralize the payload - the payload is landing on you no matter what, after all.

Also, the missile would be "over" a flyover state in the same way that the International Space Station goes over them - it's not remotely like an airplane which can be intercepted by the air force.

Stopping ICBMs is easiest when the missile is in it's initial launch phase, but that means you have to be near it.

ICBM defense is hosed for more reasons I can't be bothered to explain, like MIRVs which allow one missile to drop many warheads.

The best defense is diplomacy and disarmament. Once a launch happens a horrific tragedy is by far the most likely result.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
And yet when trumpcare passes our premiums are going to double even with my employer centered plan. I already get physicals and clock in steps just to save 60 bucks a paycheck but if the GOP have their way we are gonna be to have to sell our house. American dream indeed

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
There's something just lovely about constantly being told how immature, backwards and wrong you are as a generation, then being yelled at for not making babies.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Simplex posted:

Trump

policy doctrine

Looks like we got another one o them fuckin morons.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

Shooting one down is like shooting a bullet with another bullet. It's wildly difficult, even with the best modern computers. And you have to not just hit the missile, but neutralize the payload - the payload is landing on you no matter what, after all.

Ever play the old arcade game missile command? Where the defense missiles you shoot make little expanding circles? That isn't just fanciful videogame logic. Real ICBM interceptors are nuclear bombs themselves. Like the nike missiles were 40kt bombs you shot into the path of an ICBM and hope a nuclear explosion high in the air sorta not near a city was a better outcome than one detonating in a city.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Crow Jane posted:

There's something just lovely about constantly being told how immature, backwards and wrong you are as a generation, then being yelled at for not making babies.

http://blog.quorum.us/the-115th-congress-is-among-the-oldest-in-history-1

Our country needs us to serve to unfuck itself. Remember this whenever you ask yourself why Dems seem unable to be in touch with reality.

RuanGacho fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jul 4, 2017

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Crow Jane posted:

I'm a big fan of growing up being told "you better go to college so you aren't a complete failure stuck flipping burgers your whole life" turning into "Well McDonalds is always hiring :smuggo:" now that people can't earn enough with their degree to both pay off the loans and start buying houses.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
So the grumpy grandpas where right when "Errding was better in my days"

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal

Chilichimp posted:

We had some complications and ended up doing a C-section. The total bill was about $85,000. Maxxed out at $750 out of pocket out we'd have been screwed - especially since my wife had to take unpaid leave during the recovery.

It was also weird because we'd keep getting new bills for months after the birth.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Anti-ballistic missiles are pretty metal. My favorite is the one where the US built the silo doors full of explosives because reaction times had to be measured in fractions of a second and the chance that you could take whole seconds to open a silo door simply wasn't acceptable.

"To make the launch as quick as possible, the cover was blown off the silo by explosive charges; then the missile was ejected by an explosive-driven piston. Sprint accelerated at 100 g, reaching a speed of Mach 10 in 5 seconds and carried a W66 thermonuclear warhead.

That said there really isn't any realistic defense possible against a peer-ish opponent slinging ICBM's at you, every missile is going to have a dozen warheads and decoys and simply saturate your ABM system.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
I shouldn't participate in the derail, but a friend of mine got an STD scare and I asked her if she got a full screening yet. She says she hasn't because the nearest provider is over an hour away because she's in a deep red state.

Better keep an aspirin tucked between your lips, you scarlet woman!

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Shifty Pony posted:

I'm a big fan of growing up being told "you better go to college so you aren't a complete failure stuck flipping burgers your whole life" turning into "Well McDonalds is always hiring :smuggo:" now that people can't earn enough with their degree to both pay off the loans and start buying houses.

And speaking of fast food, I love the fact that we've been taught about making healthy food choices all our lives, and having internalized that, we're now being blamed for the downfall of poor innocent garbage restaurant chains

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Ever play the old arcade game missile command? Where the defense missiles you shoot make little expanding circles? That isn't just fanciful videogame logic. Real ICBM interceptors are nuclear bombs themselves. Like the nike missiles were 40kt bombs you shot into the path of an ICBM and hope a nuclear explosion high in the air sorta not near a city was a better outcome than one detonating in a city.

I don't think Nike missiles were used as anti ICBMs. They had nuclear warheads to take out large formations of Soviet bombers.

Also I think the current generation of anti ICBM missiles don't have any explosive at all. So it is quite literally like trying to hit a bullet with a bullet.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Y'all wondering why I routinely post:

Die boomer scum!

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Saros posted:

Anti-ballistic missiles are pretty metal. My favorite is the one where the US built the silo doors full of explosives because reaction times had to be measured in fractions of a second and the chance that you could take whole seconds to open a silo door simply wasn't acceptable.

"To make the launch as quick as possible, the cover was blown off the silo by explosive charges; then the missile was ejected by an explosive-driven piston. Sprint accelerated at 100 g, reaching a speed of Mach 10 in 5 seconds and carried a W66 thermonuclear warhead.

That said there really isn't any realistic defense possible against a peer-ish opponent slinging ICBM's at you, every missile is going to have a dozen warheads and decoys and simply saturate your ABM system.

Sprint launching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsnkmpJhzlo

You'll notice the missile rapidly goes from black to bright white. That's because it's going so fast atmospheric friction has heated it white-hot.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah gently caress nuclear missiles.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
It's funny how the boomers don't seem to pine for the good ol days of union jobs. They conveniently forget that part about the relative prosperity they enjoyed when they were raising a family with 1 income.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah gently caress nuclear missiles.

Well, they've got the right shape for loving.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Well, they've got the right shape for loving.

But strikes were inconvenient!

That's the answer you'll get.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Charliegrs posted:

I don't think Nike missiles were used as anti ICBMs. They had nuclear warheads to take out large formations of Soviet bombers.

Also I think the current generation of anti ICBM missiles don't have any explosive at all. So it is quite literally like trying to hit a bullet with a bullet.

It's all kinetic kill as even explosives aren't that fast and if you are in a position to head on with explosives you are already in position to hit it guaranteeing the kill.

Deptfordx posted:

Sprint launching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsnkmpJhzlo

You'll notice the missile rapidly goes from black to bright white. That's because it's going so fast atmospheric friction has heated it white-hot.

It's not the friction although it does contribute, it's the adiabatic heating. It's compressing the air which generates a lot of heat which is basically the opposite of how a fridge works.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Lmao. Also theres like not a single non white person anywhere in that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
It feels weird when people complain about college not being "worth it", like I'm college educated and absolutely I feel it's super obvious that that doesn't give me anywhere near the buying power my parents had and that is a super real problem. But when I talk to people my age without college educations (who aren't in some unique situation like owning their own business or doing unique skilled trade) it seems like their finances are literally on fire at all times and they are going to die irl from it at any minute.

Like I always agree with people that the situation with the value of a college education dropping is super super hosed up and a real problem but it always seems crazy to me when people start talking about actually wishing they had not got one or telling kids not to get one. Like even with college being all hosed up it feels like going to college is your chance to be an adult who now faces issues that only used to face people in poverty while having only a highschool diploma lets you face problems that only homeless people used to deal with.

• Locked thread