Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like to think that the reason that sword is so powerful is that Cassius used it for so long he beat himself into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Glazius posted:

I like to think that the reason that sword is so powerful is that Cassius used it for so long he beat himself into it.

I'd say it's his Zemurian ore weapon. I wonder, what books did he have to collect in his time?

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Lugran is the best Bracer Guild steward. :allears:

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

Lugran is the best Bracer Guild steward. :allears:

Is Lugran the name that triggers Olivier's PTSD and causes him to retreat into a corner and adopt the fetal position in an attempt to get the flashbacks out of his mind? No? Then he can't be the best Bracer Guild steward.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jul 3, 2017

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
He's also not Kilika, so he's not even the SECOND best.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I think you're all forgetting someone important: None of those guild receptionists were responsible for the demise of Voldemort.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Erpy posted:

Is Lugran the name that triggers Olivier's PTSD and causes him to retreat into a corner and adopt the fetal position in an attempt to get the flashbacks out of his mind? No? Then he can't be the best Bracer Guild steward.

Is anyone going to do this with Muller present?
Please tell me once we rescue Shera she's going to mention Aina with Muller present.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
Fox Tail's value isn't in stealing; it's THE fastest craft in the game (recovering six times faster than normal attacks) and does normal physical damage. If you pump up Schera's STR and give her some means to recover CP she can do incredibly damage by spamming it over and over.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Gilbert is lucky Ries is too busy poo poo-talking about Kevin back in Hermit's Garden instead of being in the active party, because she totally would have demanded he turn over half his food supplies in return for his freedom.

Dopple Scherazard is kind of a unique enemy in the sense that she can use Schera's Heaven's Kiss craft, it being the only instance in the Sky games where an enemy can use the AT Advantage condition against you.

And yeah, Fox Tail has an insanely low cooldown. Unfortunately, "normal physical damage" isn't spectacular coming from an arts user whose strength-stat is about on par with Josette's and only above Kloe's and Olivier's. What IS useful about Fox Tail's low cooldown is that you can use it to get maximum use out of Heaven's Kiss. If you're ever unhappy with Schera's position in the turn order (because she goes before the rest of the party and thus AT Advantage would be wasted), you can use Fox Tail to take small steps forward in the turn order until everybody else's turn has passed and then Heaven's Kiss to let the entire team immediately go again.

I'm still kinda puzzled why Falcom ended up creating an entirely new set of dialogue portraits for Schera while Olivier, who also changed his suit and hairdo, simply got slightly modified versions of his FC and SC expressions. Not that those could get any better. It's just weird to see Schera with a whole new set of facial features.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Hey, at least Scherazard isn't the least useful character in this game like she was in the other two, that's something, right...?

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
I could see people feeling that Schera's use was limited in FC due to the fact she joined very early in the game and left before you had good quartz for arts use, savvy players saved their slot activations for Estelle and Joshua, she didn't get Heaven's Kiss until she rejoined in Chapter 4 and wind was meh as an element late in the game. She was a lot better in SC though.

Unlike Joshua, Schera's orbment received the extra slot at the end of her long line, now making her a better caster than him with more EP to boot. Having Heaven's Kiss from the get-go was a definite plus and the upgraded range on her Sylphen Whip was a minor but welcome addition. The best thing was that wind was a much better element in SC, with multi-heals now requiring wind points, as do spells like La Forte and White Gehenna and Scent now now having better elemental points. She may not be a pure magic nuke like Kloe, but she's more durable, her orbment's more flexible and she can still wear Ats-boosting female-only equipment unlike Olivier. Schera's main drawback was that she came as an alternative to an early balanced party, Wild Rage cheese and sexual harassment in the first three chapters, which I imagine worked against her. But calling her the least useful character in a game where Josette is part of the roster is just wrong. :cheeky:

Erpy fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jul 3, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Erpy posted:

I'm still kinda puzzled why Falcom ended up creating an entirely new set of dialogue portraits for Schera while Olivier, who also changed his suit and hairdo, simply got slightly modified versions of his FC and SC expressions. Not that those could get any better. It's just weird to see Schera with a whole new set of facial features.

Usually what happens after what Schera went through is them 'letting their hair down' as a reflection of them becoming unburdened.
However since she's always had her hair down she had to go with the 'cut your hair to try a radical new look as a metaphor for your new outlook on life.'

That's a pretty big change compared to Olivier's 'wearing a proper fancy coat' bit.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Erpy posted:

Some Numbers posted:

He's also not Kilika, so he's not even the SECOND best.

I'll give points for both of them, but old man who was probably a major badass in the past trumps both in my eyes. :argh:

That's my belief and I'm sticking to it. :colbert:

Okay, fine, there's no indication of hidden badassery, but I really do wonder about the pasts of the guild stewards - we get to see two of them and they're awesome in their various ways... what did the other three do?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I never used Schera unless forced to. Wind isn't a great element to be forced into past the first chapter of the first game, and by the time you get access to her again, you need all 4 characters to be doing something other than affecting the turn order non-stop (seriously that final dungeon is a gigantic pile of bullshit). She actively dragged my party down whenever she got forced into it in SC. She's not bad...there's just always a better option.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

I'll give points for both of them, but old man who was probably a major badass in the past trumps both in my eyes. :argh:

That's my belief and I'm sticking to it. :colbert:

Okay, fine, there's no indication of hidden badassery, but I really do wonder about the pasts of the guild stewards - we get to see two of them and they're awesome in their various ways... what did the other three do?

One thing we know about Lugran is that he used to be THE guild receptionist in Liberl. Back when the only Guild office in the country used to be in Grancel, he worked the desk there. He moved to Bose after the other 4 branches were established.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Erpy posted:

One thing we know about Lugran is that he used to be THE guild receptionist in Liberl. Back when the only Guild office in the country used to be in Grancel, he worked the desk there. He moved to Bose after the other 4 branches were established.

To be fair, that's really just evidence of seniority rather than badassery. :v:

I had forgotten about that though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

This door is one of my favorites.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
It's a great door.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Oh man, I totally missed the Dorothy stuff somehow. And that phonecall...

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Erpy posted:

When playing through this door, something clicked - they made a new sprite (or possibly reused an old one? I don't think they used these for the Luciola scenes though) for young Schera to reduce the size of the boob window.

It was a jarring enough realization that I had to go back and make the side-by-side comparison.

A second point that I'd never noticed until I was looking at the spritework:

Boob window sizes in the character art are roughly the same. I had to go back to SC to grab the first image, but the sprite itself is the same. In a game with so much awesome art, it's a weird "mistake" for them to make.

On a less BOOBS HURR note:

OddObserver posted:

I missed the Dorothy bits too, and it makes me sad. Dorothy is awesome. :allears:

Edited: Okay, they did make a new sprite for Schera's new outfit. Shows how much I actually used her in the 3rd.

Epsilon Moonshade fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jul 4, 2017

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Someone in Japan doesn't seem to know that "mustard gas" isn't some harmless sneezing powder and that using it is a friggin' war crime. Makes you wonder what other violations of the Geneva Convention Aina's carrying along in that suitcase. Of course she's immune herself.

It's kinda funny to know that Anton and Aina actually met before the former's liver got mutilated by that drinking duel.

If #angstykloe from the previous moon door already felt like a whiplash, #angryschera feels like a burst of Sadist Whip. I never expected Schera to harbor this much bitterness even if it's neatly explained in this door.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 4, 2017

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

OddObserver posted:

This Moon Door has a poo poo ton of extra dialogue, mostly about shopkeepers and other NPCs just starting out in their businesses.

Erpy posted:

If #angstykloe from the previous moon door already felt like a whiplash, #angryschera feels like a burst of Sadist Whip. I never expected Schera to harbor this much bitterness.

Everyone just falls to pieces without Estelle and her anti-emo field.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Erpy posted:

If #angstykloe from the previous moon door already felt like a whiplash, #angryschera feels like a burst of Sadist Whip. I never expected Schera to harbor this much bitterness even if it's neatly explained in this door.

I dunno, based on her backstory with Luciola, the circus, her pre-circus life, etc., it seems pretty legit. My reaction is more "wow, she mellowed out a lot."

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Yeah, but the thing was that it was mentioned in SC that Schera was actually quite happy with her life as part of the Harvey Troupe, so I guess I expected that mellowing process to have taken place after she was taken in. Junior Bracer Schera's quite different from "Chapter 4 dream Schera".

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

I thought it was that she was enjoying time in the troupe, then she was basically abandoned (again!) and felt she had to become self-sufficient?

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
True, that IS the underlying issue underneath the way she's acting right now.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Yeah, she started with nothing (orphan on the streets), got effectively all she could ask for (the Harvey Troupe became her family and place to belong), and then that got ripped out from under her and she had nearly nothing again. This time, she knew the Brights and went to them for guidance, but you don't go through whiplash like that without it doing something to your personality.

BearDrivingTruck fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 4, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Erpy posted:

Someone in Japan doesn't seem to know that "mustard gas" isn't some harmless sneezing powder and that using it is a friggin' war crime. Makes you wonder what other violations of the Geneva Convention Aina's carrying along in that suitcase. Of course she's immune herself.

Considering she has pepper ones and one full of Laughing Shrooms I'm thinking that it's literally mustard seeds in there. Which is a lot more humane than the typical specimen :v:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm not complaining about this at all, but it really feels like this game is just all the sidestories they ever wanted to tell but couldn't find a way to work in.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Glazius posted:

I'm not complaining about this at all, but it really feels like this game is just all the sidestories they ever wanted to tell but couldn't find a way to work in.

There's some plot relevance to the framing story, but I'm inclined to agree - the main event is the sidestories.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 6, 2017

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
WAIT WHAT NIELSEN IS IN THIS GAME

holy crap I never noticed

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

okay but who is he though

RegalStar
Jul 17, 2016
He's a somewhat important (and very suspicious) NPC who showed up in Ao.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Yeah don't google that guy

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
This is his second appearance in 3rd, by the way. Nielsen was already on the Lusitania during the prologue.

TheWhaler
Nov 6, 2009
Just found and caught up to this thread - I've been a huge fan of the whole Trails series for a while and it's great to see this bring LPed so soon after coming out.

Since I did my first playthrough on Hard mode, I wanted to give a special shoutout to these fuckers:

I legitimately think that fight was one of the hardest 3 or 4 fights in this entire game. Harder than the final boss. On a new playthrough you're seriously strapped for cash at this stage so I at least hadn't updated people's armour yet and these guys are tanky (they could take 2 s-crafts and still have some hp left), are significantly faster than anyone in your party and hit like a goddamn truck. From memory, they basically two-hit anybody in your party outside of maybe Kevin. They also start really spread-out so you can't just aoe them down with s-crafts. I think I had to burn all my s-crafts and go through a significant chunk of the item stockpile in this one fight. Finally, since they hit twice even a max Grail Sphere is only half as effective. For the rest of that section I literally just ran from battles as soon as I saw one since it was seriously far too much trouble to deal with.

From the numbers I'm seeing it looks like all Hard really did was near-double the damage enemies did and jack up HP slightly, and by the time you get the Tiger Heart and Crimson Eye it doesn't matter how much damage they do since your dedicated crafts/arts users just murder everything. Finally, Jinu is love, Jinu is life - that weapon basically makes Anelace the best character for the rest of this chapter and most of the next. With a Tiger Heart she one-hits a lot of enemies even on Hard.

Anyway, this has been a great LP so far!

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013

Glazius posted:

I'm pretty sure every person complained about this when the Third came out. That said, there's a surprising amount of relevance to said side stories in the future games, in plot threads set up, so it's a lot more forgivable with the context of Zero/Ao and Cold Steel in mind now and whenever they get to the Calvard part of the Trails series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Glazius posted:

My completely unfounded suspicion is that Falcom made a conscious decision not to rely on flashbacks or anything of that sort when making these games but at the same time when this series got big and it became clear it was going to be a very long term thing they needed to establish some additional context about their world and about certain characters for future games to draw from. Thus we have The 3rd, a game where they can get all the requisite flashbacks/sidestories/etc out of their system before they continue the story proper, while also using Kevin's protagonist viewpoint to develop the Septian Church, while also being able to sell a brand new game for actual money to fans while reusing 80% of their assets from the previous games in a completely justifiable manner.

• Locked thread