Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Floppychop posted:

Stormboys are a neat kit, but obscenely expensive, even by GW standards. $25 for 5 models that you field in units of 30 is too rich for my blood.

If you can find it, Da Vulcha Skwad is 15 Stormboys and Boss Zagstruk for $70, last I looked. That's not too bad when 15 stormboys would be $75 alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

The Bee posted:

Honestly? I might just recommend another Start Collecting box. More troops can always be useful, and you could build one set as Rangers and the other as Vanguard to make them more unique. From reading the data sheet, the Dunecrawler should have a decent amount of options to build two of, too, and a second Dominus should help keep your troops healed rather consistently.

Of course, I personally like the look of Sicarians, Dragoons, and Kastelan Robots, if we're talking more esoteric Admech choices.

A second (or even third) start collecting box is really a good deal. It also gives you more special weapon bits since GW is loving awful about only giving you one of each per Ranger/Vanguard kit. Belisarius Cawl is nearly an auto-include as he lets you modify your Canticles roll result. The Onagers don't increase in strength quite like they did in 7th, but having at least two in range of each other still buffs their saves. Ironstriders are definitely neat looking but dollars to points on them is kind of rough. Kastelans are very shooty and let you throw down handfuls of dice to hit stuff. Sicarians or Electropriests cover the melee game although getting the latter there without AdMech transport options takes some finesse.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

Lobster God posted:

Can anyone recommend a decent load out for a jump pack Death Company squad?

General consensus is to go with Fists or Thunder hammers. No reason not to do Thunderhammers at all but fists let you at least have some shooty too. Axes are okay but you're hurting against high toughness models at that point (but for 5 points, it's super cheap). Chainswords help because you have 2 attacks and can get that extra chainsword attack in there for 3 base attacks (2 from sword, 1 from fist) to 4 total without buffs.

Plasma Pistols are also a thing to look at if you want more shooty. Avoid inferno pistols as they are garbage at 20 points. Should honestly be 10-12 points due to range. Basically useless after you jump pack assault. Slightly okay if you happen to be in combat already.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Some guy just went 5-0 in a UK GT with this list:

Yncarne
Yvraine
Farseer
Maugan Ra
3 beastmasters
5 kabalites
149 Razorwing flocks

8th edition ladies and gents.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
wait are you saying that's a bad thing

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Speaking of admech, I'm planning to make that one of my next purchases. Pretty happy with where my marines are, other than maybe a land speeder I think I'm done buying models for them. Haven't decided if I'm going to go for them or nurgle as my next army.

Me and my friends are going to split a triumvirate and I'm getting cawl. Was going to then get 2 start collecting boxes and go from there. Using every model from the two boxes puts me a good way towards the army, I'd just need to get the destroyers and I can field a battallion.

Battallion:
Bellisarius Cawl
Techpriest with volkite and phosphor serpenta

10 vanguard with arc rifle and 2 plasma calivers
10 rangers with arc rifle and 2 transuranic arquebuses
3 kataphron destroyers with heavy grav cannons, cognis flamer, 2 phosphor blasters

5 Sicarian infiltrators, leader with power sword and rest with taser goads
5 Ruststalkers, razors and chordclaws, blades and chordclaws on the leader
Datasmith

Ironstrider with autocannons
Ironstrider with lascannons

Spearhead detachment
Dominus with volkite and serpenta
2 kastellans with 3x heavy phosphor blasters
Onager with icarus array
Onager with neutron laser

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

TKIY posted:

Yncarne
Yvraine
Farseer
Maugan Ra
3 beastmasters
5 kabalites
149 Razorwing flocks

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

TKIY posted:

Yncarne
Yvraine
Farseer
Maugan Ra
3 beastmasters
5 kabalites
149 Razorwing flocks

Time to load up on LR Punishers.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
40k still a poo poo fest in tournaments? :monocle:

I'm coming back to it for the fun times with mates who aren't going to drop $1000 to win a game. Stuff like that is good to remind me to stay away from tournies.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

TKIY posted:

Yncarne
Yvraine
Farseer
Maugan Ra
3 beastmasters
5 kabalites
149 Razorwing flocks

Detachment limits seem rather important for tourneys.

Without them there's nothing really stopping me from taking THE ENTIRE ASTRONOMICON (133 Astropaths)

And you can even have command points if you take it in Vanguard detachments:
15 command points
15 Primaris Psykers
2 Commissars
103 Astropaths

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

Speaking of admech, I'm planning to make that one of my next purchases. Pretty happy with where my marines are, other than maybe a land speeder I think I'm done buying models for them. Haven't decided if I'm going to go for them or nurgle as my next army.

Me and my friends are going to split a triumvirate and I'm getting cawl. Was going to then get 2 start collecting boxes and go from there. Using every model from the two boxes puts me a good way towards the army, I'd just need to get the destroyers and I can field a battallion.

Battallion:
Bellisarius Cawl
Techpriest with volkite and phosphor serpenta

10 vanguard with arc rifle and 2 plasma calivers
10 rangers with arc rifle and 2 transuranic arquebuses
3 kataphron destroyers with heavy grav cannons, cognis flamer, 2 phosphor blasters

5 Sicarian infiltrators, leader with power sword and rest with taser goads
5 Ruststalkers, razors and chordclaws, blades and chordclaws on the leader
Datasmith

Ironstrider with autocannons
Ironstrider with lascannons

Spearhead detachment
Dominus with volkite and serpenta
2 kastellans with 3x heavy phosphor blasters
Onager with icarus array
Onager with neutron laser

That's a pretty solid list. You might even want to get a second box of Kastelans. They're really good at holding poo poo down. I need to pick up two boxes myself.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Zuul the Cat posted:

That's a pretty solid list. You might even want to get a second box of Kastelans. They're really good at holding poo poo down. I need to pick up two boxes myself.

Yeah kastelans look really cool. Super expensive though, even dropping both sicarian units I couldn't fit in 2 more kastelans.

Edit: Actually it looks like I could fit 2 more shooty kastellans if I dropped them both and have like 10 points over since my sicarians have upgrades.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I really don't like the look of the Kataphron. The whole body structure being up front just makes them feel imbalanced to me.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

The Bee posted:

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I really don't like the look of the Kataphron. The whole body structure being up front just makes them feel imbalanced to me.

I love the look of breachers, not a fan of how destroyers look. But breachers have poo poo guns.

Really if I give them the breacher torso but the arms of destroyers no one will probably notice. I love the breacher torso.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 4, 2017

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

TKIY posted:

Yncarne
Yvraine
Farseer
Maugan Ra
3 beastmasters
5 kabalites
149 Razorwing flocks

I could not have seen this coming. Not with this, the best 40K ruleset ever.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The Bee posted:

This is a terrible opinion.

Now that Chainswords get you a bunch of extra attacks, what are the odds Primaris will get some? They're as iconic as the bolter, and I can't imagine they wouldn't make an assault squad of Primaris with chainswords.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

The rulebook suggests limits on detachments for tournaments, I suspect we will see those enforced going forward.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
We're going to keep seeing weird armies like that do well as the meta settles out. I think every tournament winning list I've seen so far has just spammed a single unit which is obviously not going to viable in the long term.

I mean let's be honest here, flooding the board with T2 bodies, however fast, is hardly an unbeatable strategy.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So I have a philosophical question for you guys. I put together a list that I thought was both fluffy and pretty powerful, and at least based on the four games that I've played it's decidedly un-fun for my opponent:

2x Warboss Bikers w/ Klaws
1x Weirdboy w/ Da Jump

3x 20 Slugga Boyz w/ PK Nob
1x 30 Shoota Boyz w/ PK Nob & 3 Big Shootas

3x Battlewagons w/ Big Shoota, Deff Rolla, 'Ard Case

The problem is that they get in my opponent's face at turn 2 at the latest, and often turn 1 with the 30 boyz teleporting in. Anything designed to shoot tends to get locked up in close combat, and then by turn 2 the battlewagons hit and start to really mess things up. While it's not as obviously gimmicky as a flyer spam or that razorwing flock army, it's been pretty rough on my friends. So I'm curious; what's your philosophy regarding lists like this? Is it not casual enough? Would I be better off trying something else (I did buy a bunch of Primaris) and then holding off on the Orks?

It's not like my opponents are rude about it or anything. We're all learning the game and just want to have fun. But it's clear they're not enjoying themselves and I'd rather they did.

So what's your philosophy on stuff like this?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
That's about as fluffy and straightforward an ork list as anyone could ever make. If that list is a dick move then I don't know what ork players are even supposed to bring to be nice guys.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

I need the biggest space marine you have...

No that's too big.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

TKIY posted:

149 Razorwing flocks

Now I feel guilty. For the game I have arranged tonight my gimmicky list is a swarm of ~150 bodies with a bunch of Broodlords, Primes & Malanthropes to steer them around. After getting pasted by mass lascannons last week I'm kinda looking forward to any heavy weapons having nothing but gaunts to shoot at.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

This is the game you asked for!

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I would say it's something you need to have a conversation with your friends about. I personally wouldn't have any issues playing against a list like that in a friendly game, but I'm not the one you're playing with.

Basically my philosophy for friendly games is that it's important for players to have some sort of communication about what they're bringing and the sort of game they're hoping to play. If these are your friends that you're playing with it doesn't matter at all how objectively strong (or not) the list you take is- what matters is that they're able to spend any enjoyable afternoon with you slamming hams and only they will be able to tell you if your list has been affecting that

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

If you keep stomping your friends with a list you either need to change your list up to include less powerful parts, like no teleporting or something, or play another army. I have a necron army i havent played in 4 years because it just kept destroying all my friends and they werent enjoying playing the game with me becauss of it.

Once your friends figure out something that works better and has beat you a few times then bust back out that list and see whats what.

I am sadly having the same issue with my Nids hordes list, they are 4-0 and I dont plan on playing them for a month or so till my friends figure out their armies a little more.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Would you mind elaborating on your friends' armies? That's a though list but It doesn't seem too beardy.

When someone in my friend group stumbles across a really strong list we will talk through what they think might counter it/what they are scared of coming up against. If nobody can beat the list and it isn't fun to play against then you might as well switch it up outside of competitive play. Or you could try giving your opponents some extra points or something.

My first impression is that they should try and get good though. Some people just haven't adjusted to the new 8th edition turn 2 assault meta.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Ayn Marx posted:

This is the game you asked for!

Stop trying to make that a thing!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
If your friends have tried different stuff and just can't crack that list, then sure change it up. You may just be a better player than them and need to help them catch up. Or you happened upon a good 8th list before they did. People adjust at different speeds.

If they got beat and threw their hands up and said ITS IMPOSSIBLE without trying, then they need to git gud.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
So my friend with all the dreadnoughts is working on converting some of his venerables to venerable chaplains. Then he can run this list:

Vanguard
Chaplain dread with inferno cannon, DCCW + heavy flamer
Contemptor with multimelta
Contemptor with kheres
Relic contemptor with kheres, chainfist with plasma blastgun
Mortis with twin autocannon
Leviathan with siege drill and grav bombard

Vanguard
Chaplain dread with inferno cannon, DCCW + heavy flamer
Contemptor with multimelta
Ven dread with missile + twin lascannon
Ven dread with missile + twin lascannon

I'm kind of terrified

LC+MM stormraven will help though. Can't punch me now fuckers

Though even with supersonic he's got a 3+ to hit me with lascannons unless he moves

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 4, 2017

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TKIY posted:

Yncarne
Yvraine
Farseer
Maugan Ra
3 beastmasters
5 kabalites
149 Razorwing flocks

Hahaha. People at my store came up with this same list as an idiotic idea of what someone could run in 8th. We didn't think it would actually be used. Imagine owning 149 razorwing flocks.

Godspeed, bird army. :patriot:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

JesusIsTehCool posted:

If you keep stomping your friends with a list you either need to change your list up to include less powerful parts, like no teleporting or something, or play another army. I have a necron army i havent played in 4 years because it just kept destroying all my friends and they werent enjoying playing the game with me becauss of it.

Once your friends figure out something that works better and has beat you a few times then bust back out that list and see whats what.

I am sadly having the same issue with my Nids hordes list, they are 4-0 and I dont plan on playing them for a month or so till my friends figure out their armies a little more.

We need to play a game soon dude. I'll hit you up - I'm looking free next Saturday.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

1x Weirdboy w/ Da Jump

Heh. This would have been a bad Ork list before 8th.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Safety Factor posted:

Hahaha. People at my store came up with this same list as an idiotic idea of what someone could run in 8th. We didn't think it would actually be used. Imagine owning 149 razorwing flocks.

Godspeed, bird army. :patriot:

He used proxies: https://zombicide.com/en/pg/murder-of-crows-black-plague/

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Maybe try mission types and terrain distributions that favor their armies over your armies? A city map with narrow roads to serve as gunlines and lots of cover could be useful.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

1x Weirdboy w/ Da Jump

Slightly besides the point of your post, but why 3x 20 boyz over 2x 30? Did you not lose the extra attack bonus really quickly?

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Slightly besides the point of your post, but why 3x 20 boyz over 2x 30? Did you not lose the extra attack bonus really quickly?

Because they go in Battlewagons...

The extra attack is a nice to have feature that sometimes matters in footslogging mobz of 30, but it's actually a pretty small part of their value.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Whose army is it?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So I have a philosophical question for you guys. I put together a list that I thought was both fluffy and pretty powerful, and at least based on the four games that I've played it's decidedly un-fun for my opponent:

1x Weirdboy w/ Da Jump

The problem is that they get in my opponent's face at turn 2 at the latest, and often turn 1 with the 30 boyz teleporting in. Anything designed to shoot tends to get locked up in close combat, and then by turn 2 the battlewagons hit and start to really mess things up. While it's not as obviously gimmicky as a flyer spam or that razorwing flock army, it's been pretty rough on my friends. So I'm curious; what's your philosophy regarding lists like this? Is it not casual enough? Would I be better off trying something else (I did buy a bunch of Primaris) and then holding off on the Orks?

It's not like my opponents are rude about it or anything. We're all learning the game and just want to have fun. But it's clear they're not enjoying themselves and I'd rather they did.

Your friends just kind of suck. That's tough to see across the board, but I'm confident I could handle it.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

Whose army is it?

Dunno, just some guys. I got the link off a local FB players group.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

WhiteWolf123 posted:

Because they go in Battlewagons...

The extra attack is a nice to have feature that sometimes matters in footslogging mobz of 30, but it's actually a pretty small part of their value.

The funny thing is that with the teleporting I would probably be better off making the unit of 30 slugga boyz instead of shoota boyz, but those are the models I have. Ork shooting is really uninspiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NORTH-HALL
Jan 15, 2005
"Barney comes to play with us whenever we may need him!"

TKIY posted:

149 Razorwing flocks

Hahaha this owns! I'd fight it.